ADVERTISEMENT

LWE vs Alabama cancelled

Henning plays at 100% this past Saturday and LWE is going to Champaign. They are terrific! They will be back every year going forward.
Yes and recall that he fueled the comeback late in the '17 title game vs LA.

LOL I know what you mean. It actually always drives me nuts that most of us in the south suburbs know the names of the northern burbs and generally where they are at. Northern burbs have no clue what is south of I-88 other than Naperville.

It’s kind of like how the employees all know the boss but the boss doesn’t know all the employees.

LOL I know what you mean. It actually always drives me nuts that most of us in the south suburbs know the names of the northern burbs and generally where they are at. Northern burbs have no clue what is south of I-88 other than Naperville.
It's funny but you are right. When I was attending ISU way back in the early 70's, once we got on I-55 (I'm from north burbs) there was just Joliet and the next town was Pontiac. So the burbs down there seem relatively new compared to up here.

Reactions: jcrewx7
I would guess Frankfort is older than most of the northern burbs by a large margin.

I would guess Frankfort is older than most of the northern burbs by a large margin.

Slow day, so I did some looking

Frankfort was founded in 1831 and incorporated in 1879

Some northern burbs

Town Founded Incorporated
Wilmette 1855 1872
Evanston 1854 1863
Lake Forest 1857 1861
Winnetka 1836 1869
Glenview 1895- 1899- the new money on the block
Glencoe 1869
Niles 1832 1899
Des Plaines 1833 1869
Libertyville 1835 1882
Joliet 1834 1852- Not north, but where I'm from

Reactions: LAguy and WIU78
It's funny but you are right. When I was attending ISU way back in the early 70's, once we got on I-55 (I'm from north burbs) there was just Joliet and the next town was Pontiac. So the burbs down there seem relatively new compared to up here.
I always used to joke on the way home from ISU that Joliet was the edge of civilization.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Yea I expect Frankfort itself is older than most north burbs, since IL (other than Chicago), was settled from the south to north. But the south burbs and that general area have been growing in leaps and bounds recently, while us here in Lake county have to move to WI to avoid the congestion, which I hope to do soon.

As I said in an earlier post. East fans know they will be back. They fell short this year to a very good well coached team. This years lesson will run deep into next year I am sure.
My senior is done, but I’ll be in the stands cheering next season! Someone on one of these posts ridiculed our fans as zealots, but who doesn’t support their family?? GO EAST! GO GRIFFINS!!GO BLUE!!!

A lot of students who go to Southland high schools are rejoicing in LWE's defeat today on social media. There is a certain arrogance associated with that program, and I'm not sure where it comes from. Is it from the administration, the coaching staff, the players or just a rabid fan base? I told a couple of East fans I know that I thought this game would be tight. They laughed me off and said East would roll. Some were already talking about where to meet up in Champaign next Saturday before the title game. East has a good program, but in my book, you need more than two state titles in 18 years to be considered a great program. That school has the resources and talent to make it downstate every year. If you don't believe me, look at the number of players they dress and the number of coaches they employ on the varsity level. Don't tell me how great you are. Show me how great you are by putting trophies into the school trophy case. And do it more than once every five or six years.

Every year I read that a dozen different programs should be yearly semi-finalists in 8A. Simple math will show that the assertion is absurd. LWE doesnt get to pad their case with championships won against the likes of Marion. It's a little bit different.

Tell that to the haters who think that Catholic schools can enroll any stud athlete they want.

King of the strawman

When you refer to LWE as South Side, just curious as what you mean by that? South side of what?
South suburbs is what I usually think.
South suburbs seem to indicate east of I-57 (see most of Southland conference membership) and not within city limits (like the actual South Side). Southwest suburbs on the other hand are west of I-57, like most of old, pre-SICA Southwest Conference (OL, RV, BR, RE, CS, HF, EP, LW) and next year's Southwest Suburban Conference (now minus the 3 Thorns east of 57).

Reactions: Seyton
Every year I read that a dozen different programs should be yearly semi-finalists in 8A. Simple math will show that the assertion is absurd. LWE doesnt get to pad their case with championships won against the likes of Marion. It's a little bit different

I’m a little lost on this comment bones. Care to elaborate? The simple math and the padding?

I’m a little lost on this comment bones. Care to elaborate? The simple math and the padding?
Every year posters here say such and such program should be yearly semi-finalists due to some sort of percieved strength ie enrollment, funding, talent, etc. Obviously 12 different schools cannot be in the final four every year. It does not diminish the East program or any of the others that don't live up to that impossible expectation. Usually the comments are made by some supporter of a school that considers themselves on the level of those dozen schools, but gets to play 4 echelons below and win a ton of championships against outmatched teams.

Schools that I've seen that said about: LWE, MS, NV, Stevie, HF, HC, Palatine, GBW, NC, OPRF, NT, Evanston, Brook, Lyons, Warren, Sandburg and there's probably more.

Reactions: mc140
Every year posters here say such and such program should be yearly semi-finalists due to some sort of percieved strength ie enrollment, funding, talent, etc. Obviously 12 different schools cannot be in the final four every year. It does not diminish the East program or any of the others that don't live up to that impossible expectation. Usually the comments are made by some supporter of a school that considers themselves on the level of those dozen schools, but gets to play 4 echelons below and win a ton of championships against outmatched teams.

Schools that I've seen that said about: LWE, MS, NV, Stevie, HF, HC, Palatine, GBW, NC, OPRF, NT, Evanston, Brook, Lyons, Warren, Sandburg and there's probably more.

This is a great sneak diss.

NT, Evanston and Sandburg? Puff, puff, pass Bones...

NT, Evanston and Sandburg? Puff, puff, pass Bones...
Didn't say they should, but I've seen people say it. NT has a resources advantage. How many times have we heard people say a school has a facility advantage? Plenty. Evanston, we always hear about all the talent in the building, we were told that when they got the coaching.........well we know how that turned out. Sandburg if they weren't dispensing all their talent to the Southside privates.... And even without those 3 I've named 13.

No one would say that about the Brook.

As far as East goes. Good season. Expectations are high as they should be. If Loyola can make back to back title game appearances it should not be impossible for East which does have a ton of talent, resources and coaching ability.

You can denigrate Joliet Catholic all you want Bones but they are playing a 14th game unlike the Brook which bowed out meekly to WV. And I’ll take my school’s 13 titles to Bb one any day. Go spew your venom elsewhere. And congrats on those 18000 plus posts on this web site. What a life you must lead keyboard hero.

No one would say that about the Brook.

As far as East goes. Good season. Expectations are high as they should be. If Loyola can make back to back title game appearances it should not be impossible for East which does have a ton of talent, resources and coaching ability.

You can denigrate Joliet Catholic all you want Bones but they are playing a 14th game unlike the Brook which bowed out meekly to WV. And I’ll take my school’s 13 titles to Bb one any day. Go spew your venom elsewhere. And congrats on those 18000 plus posts on this web site. What a life you must lead keyboard hero.
Touched a nerve I see. In all likelihood you would come in 5th place in the SWSC every year since 06 and and 10 years prior to in the Sica Blue.

Touched a nerve I see. In all likelihood you would come in 5th place in the SWSC every year since 06 and and 10 years prior to in the Sica Blue.
Bones...been waiting 18 years for a JCA / LWE game for the preseason. I have asked that question at least 8-10 years ago. As great as JCA obviously is again this year maybe it will happen? Providence at least had the nads to do the local game numerous years against LWE. JCA?? We will have to hear how bad they are at the mid-point this year and managed to get to the Championship yet again. Oh well maybe next year for this game.

Reactions: Gene K.

Someone said Palatine should be in the semi's every year? I haven't seen that posted, and if it was, it was by one person.

Bones...been waiting 18 years for a JCA / LWE game for the preseason. I have asked that question at least 8-10 years ago. As great as JCA obviously is again this year maybe it will happen? Providence at least had the nads to do the local game numerous years against LWE. JCA?? We will have to hear how bad they are at the mid-point this year and managed to get to the Championship yet again. Oh well maybe next year for this game.

Providence had the nads agreed but I don’t think they won any games against East. I think JCA wants to avoid the same fate. I don’t see this happening. I would love it but I don’t think JCA wants any part of East.

Will never happen. I like JCA, just cant stand when fans use winning in 5A as evidence theyre better than programs that dont win as much in higher classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT