ADVERTISEMENT

NYT on JJ

Silver Rain

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2022
Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy was a divisive topic of discussion among coaches. His play this season left coaches less than fawning, but most were impressed with what he did to help Michigan beat Alabama.

“J.J. hadn’t played that well in a long time, but he played really well against Alabama. I was more scared about him on the move than in the pocket. We tried to keep him in the pocket. He is very fast, and he really throws well on the run,” said one head coach who played Michigan this year. “He can make all these accurate throws from different arm angles. He’s better going to his right but can still hurt you going to his left. He’s deadly to his right.”

Reactions: Gene K.
Let’s not forget that this is one of the B1G coaches that anonymously cried to the commissioner for Harbaugh to be suspended.
They all hate Michigan.

I wanna praise him - but he needs more seasoning. He was not the reason they won.

Maybe I am jaded and have seen too many of our own not "shine" at the next level. I still question LB3 and if he just feasted against the soft part of the schedule.

It's the curse of Hickey. If that dude did not shine, how much can I trust my talent evaluation acumen?

I wanna praise him - but he needs more seasoning. He was not the reason they won.

Maybe I am jaded and have seen too many of our own not "shine" at the next level. I still question LB3 and if he just feasted against the soft part of the schedule.

It's the curse of Hickey. If that dude did not shine, how much can I trust my talent evaluation acumen?
He would definitely benefit from another year, but the question then becomes, would it be another year of the same thing where it's all running game and defense and he's a game manager.

Reactions: atrain97
He was not the reason they won.
But maybe he is. He was willing to check his ego at the door and buy into team glory over individual accolades. That is especially unique in the NIL/transfer portal era we are in. JJ sacrificed his stats for best interests of the team. I think if you put him on Washington with those receivers and play calls that he has huge numbers.

He would definitely benefit from another year, but the question then becomes, would it be another year of the same thing where it's all running game and defense and he's a game manager.
Transfer to Mizzou so he can play with two five-stars and a four-star as WRs!!!!

And what delicious irony if JJ, LB3 and Marvin all were teammates!!!!

I personally hope he stays for another year. He has proven he can be a solid game manager and another year would certainly raise his draft placement. He has a great arm and can hit his receivers in stride. He can also run for yards when everything breaks down. The young man has outstanding leadership ability and a sincere humility to go along with his physical attributes. Definitely a team player who has charisma amongst his teammates.

When everyone is saying you are at the LOWEST a top 2nd round guy, I don't see how you stay. Next years QB class is much weaker so he'd rise for sure but nothing is guaranteed.

When he said "I'm just JJ McCarthy from LaGrange Park, IL trying to be the best I can everyday" was one of the coolest most humble things I heard in a long time from an athlete.

If comes down to money

If he goes into the draft what is he worth this year

If he gets injured next year what would his value be???

He is going to pass on a substantial payday to stay at M

My belief is that another year there would help his developers physically, but could potentially hurt him financially

College needs to figure out on how to pay their athletes

If comes down to money

If he goes into the draft what is he worth this year

If he gets injured next year what would his value be???

He is going to pass on a substantial payday to stay at M

My belief is that another year there would help his developers physically, but could potentially hurt him financially

College needs to figure out on how to pay their athletes
He ain't piss poor, though he could get a much better deal than the tractor kid in Blue Chips. for the most part the vast majority of D1 revenue sports athletes, even from modest and or non-legacy athlete backgrounds would "fail" the 70s/80s NBA hardship test for underclassmen.

He ain't piss poor, though he could get a much better deal than the tractor kid in Blue Chips. for the most part the vast majority of D1 revenue sports athletes, even from modest and or non-legacy athlete backgrounds would "fail" the 70s/80s NBA hardship test for underclassmen.
Thank you for the Blue Chips reference, one of my favorite "ridiculous but enjoyable" movies of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT