ADVERTISEMENT

Let The Kids Play!

alkhekanifamily

May 23, 2020
In Illinois having a spring “season” comes with a hefty toll not only on minds but on bodies as well. Say we do have a s spring season we’ll play until April/May (assuming playoffs), then right back into the fall season again. If you’re a junior this year you won’t see much improvement your senior year. You have 0 time to rest & recuperate. No time to go to the drawing boards and fix what you needed to fix from the previous season. No time to fix that nagging injury you had from last season. Where practice/play if it’s snow on the ground? If you don’t have a turf field how will you be able to play every game as a mud bowl?Wont the field be messed up for the next season?What about track/baseball players that need rest and recovery for their sport(giving kids a ultimatum). But there are sum upside to the spring!

playoff/end of season weather is great, allows for more exciting & action packed playoff games/ state championships. Gives us time to really get familiar with our teams/playbooks (no school, more free time,more time to study). More time to get this pandemic under control instead of rushing back too fast and cancelling the whole season. Giving Athletes their season better late than never especially the seniors who’ve been waiting for this moment! Gives colleges more time to come see players in person rather than over highlights or video (assuming they proceed with regular season).

In the end fall season is first choice but if we have to play in the spring we can definitely make it work. Let’s Just Do Something Because These Kids Deserve It.

In Illinois having a spring “season” comes with a hefty toll not only on minds but on bodies as well. Say we do have a s spring season we’ll play until April/May (assuming playoffs), then right back into the fall season again. If you’re a junior this year you won’t see much improvement your senior year. You have 0 time to rest & recuperate. No time to go to the drawing boards and fix what you needed to fix from the previous season. No time to fix that nagging injury you had from last season. Where practice/play if it’s snow on the ground? If you don’t have a turf field how will you be able to play every game as a mud bowl?Wont the field be messed up for the next season?What about track/baseball players that need rest and recovery for their sport(giving kids a ultimatum). But there are sum upside to the spring!

playoff/end of season weather is great, allows for more exciting & action packed playoff games/ state championships. Gives us time to really get familiar with our teams/playbooks (no school, more free time,more time to study). More time to get this pandemic under control instead of rushing back too fast and cancelling the whole season. Giving Athletes their season better late than never especially the seniors who’ve been waiting for this moment! Gives colleges more time to come see players in person rather than over highlights or video (assuming they proceed with regular season).

In the end fall season is first choice but if we have to play in the spring we can definitely make it work. Let’s Just Do Something Because These Kids Deserve It.
It's a one off weird deal and scenario and lots of questions still need to be answered...

Man, I love football and will say I love high school football more than college and pro. Aside from baseball, it’s all I care about sports wise. But I can’t be on board with a fall season. Our lives have been turned upside down and this shitty virus isn’t going away soon. Sure the statistics show kids are less susceptible but we’ve sacrificed too much in these past 4 months to say hell with it and just let the kids play. Schools can’t agree on a consistent opening plan and I just heard today my office is shutting down again until mid August. Let’s stop dangling the carrot in front of these kids and commit to a solid spring plan and hope we’ve made progress in this fight. I’m afraid that starting in the fall and pulling the rug out at anytime will break many hearts. Yeah I’m one of those paranoid virus lemmings but we’re not ready yet.

Man, I love football and will say I love high school football more than college and pro. Aside from baseball, it’s all I care about sports wise. But I can’t be on board with a fall season. Our lives have been turned upside down and this shitty virus isn’t going away soon. Sure the statistics show kids are less susceptible but we’ve sacrificed too much in these past 4 months to say hell with it and just let the kids play. Schools can’t agree on a consistent opening plan and I just heard today my office is shutting down again until mid August. Let’s stop dangling the carrot in front of these kids and commit to a solid spring plan and hope we’ve made progress in this fight. I’m afraid that starting in the fall and pulling the rug out at anytime will break many hearts. Yeah I’m one of those paranoid virus lemmings but we’re not ready yet.
Our children are being held hostage for political reasons.... plain and simple.

If Varsity only & youth programs cancelling you will be screwing up & hurting the development of the younger kids

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT