ADVERTISEMENT

L.A. vs Brother Rice

Love hearing that. I hope both teams are at 100%.
Always want the opponent at their best.

State championship game shouldn’t be any other way.

I appreciate the respect on this thread and I think it says a lot about the CCL blue.

Looking forward to a physical nasty game tomorrow.

May the best team win!
It’s going to be a great game! Good luck to both squads! Let’s go Ramblers!

Love hearing that. I hope both teams are at 100%.
Always want the opponent at their best.

State championship game shouldn’t be any other way.

I appreciate the respect on this thread and I think it says a lot about the CCL blue.

Looking forward to a physical nasty game tomorrow.

May the best team win!
Very well said. While injuries are part of the game you never want to leave any doubt!

Crusader defense just too tough - they will contain the Fallon - I see them pitching a shutout -unless the Rambler D scores a TD like they did against the Griffins - I see Rice winning going away in the 2H with a 28 - 0 W

Keep in mine LA just beat the 2 and 3 seed teams, while BR was beating the 32nd, 16th, 8th seeds...little bit of a difference there.

Reactions: PRokie
Keep in mine LA just beat the 2 and 3 seed teams, while BR was beating the 32nd, 16th, 8th seeds...little bit of a difference there.
I’m looking at their complete body of work not just post season. Sure I might be wrong but to shut Marist completely down ....props to LA for beating my griffins much respect

Reactions: spinbaby
What’s your thought on it ?

LA can confidently expect to ride the momentum and positive experience gained by unexpectedly beating highly seeded teams.

If Rice maintains the poise they've exhibited so far, however, that won't much matter.

I see this as a match between the two head coaches ... which one will out-coach the other? Both teams will be well prepared physically, so this will be more of a mental and psychological battle.

Brother Rice is facing a team with nothing to lose and a huge chip on its shoulder. You rubbed Loyola's nose in the dirt very badly, and they are naturally intent on revenge. Not only were they crushed, but they seethed on their 90 minute bumpy ride home on the Tri-State.

As a long, long-time sports fan, I know that this can work to Loyola's advantage, but it can also stifle their best intentions and bite them in the butt.

Thirty years ago, DePaul was absolutely robbed in a basketball game at Dayton on a flagrant, terrible call. It was so bad that Ray Meyer nearly had a heart attack and the players were livid. Even Dayton fans were stunned.

We all thought that we'd destroy Dayton when they came to Rosemont. The place was packed and the crowd was wild.

They beat us up. My boys were too focused on revenge and they stumbled and crashed.

Who you gonna be: Flyers or Demons?

Last edited:
I’m gonna flip Edgys prediction and go BR 21-14. If Loyola is going to pull this out they are going to need help from the Football Gods who are normally very generous this time of year. LWE had 5 turnovers and LA took advantage of them like good schools do, if LWE played a clean game though, we may not be talking about this match up. If Rice has 2 or less turnovers, with their defense, they should be fine.

I’m curious to what Holecek has up his sleeve though. Obviously he wiped his ass with the last game plan. Except for a very brief time against Marist in week 1 has Rice trailed at all this year? Have they ever been in a close game where they had to fight to the end like week 1? If LA can somehow get on top by 2 scores, that will put BR in unfamiliar ground and make them adjust, we’re talking teenagers here, nerves play a bigger part.

I’m rambling, no pun attended saying that, BR 21-LA 14. Final answer.

Wasn't Marist the 4 seed? I think Rices last three games were all competetive so I don't think that will be an issue. While beating MS and LWE is huge Rice shutting Marist down is what I needed to see in that the coaching is there as I Always felt that was a stumbling point for them. This game can put the Palatine and Fremd games in the rear view mirror.

I think it comes down to mistakes....whoever makes less wins. If Rice pounds the ball their defense can win it. The Rice special teams can also be an issue.

I can tell you that when this LA team plays loose they are very tough to beat. At this point, they are playing with house money. They have been expected to lose every playoff game to date and are underdogs in this final as well. They are battle tested.
This is going to be the difference in the game. BR has been 1 or 2 all season and has answered the bell in high fashion. Let's face it though, this game is for all the marbles and the weight of that pressure will be daunting. Coupled with the fact that they rubbed LA's nose in the dirt in the first game, LA will be loaded for bear.
I hope its a well played game with no injuries and good sportsmanship. Either way, CCL Blue is standing tall today.

This game will be a cage match. BR and LA will start off on their feet trading blows for the first two rounds. Back and forth with both teams landing solid blows and drawing blood from their opponent. Then eventually as they contestants get tired, BRs superior wrestling skills win out. They shoot LAs legs for a takedown, fight through LAs half guard and begin a vicious ground and pound that forces LA to give up their back and that’s when BR sinks in their hooks for the rear naked choke.

BR by a late TD.

This game will be a cage match. BR and LA will start off on their feet trading blows for the first two rounds. Back and forth with both teams landing solid blows and drawing blood from their opponent. Then eventually as they contestants get tired, BRs superior wrestling skills win out. They shoot LAs legs for a takedown, fight through LAs half guard and begin a vicious ground and pound that forces LA to give up their back and that’s when BR sinks in their hooks for the rear naked choke.

BR by a late TD.
The sport you are describing sounds kinda strange. They are going to play football, I think.

Last edited:
So I haven’t commented about this game because I like and respect both teams and programs. The more I think about this game the more I am leaning towards Loyola. No disrespect to BR but this Loyola team is not the same team Rice saw the first time around. Loyola was missing key players due to injury the first game, this game Loyola is healthy and a hot team at the right time. I love the BR story this year but I think they are playing a different team than earlier in the season. 24-17 Loyola.
Good luck to both teams!

So I haven’t commented about this game because I like and respect both teams and programs. The more I think about this game the more I am leaning towards Loyola. No disrespect to BR but this Loyola team is not the same team Rice saw the first time around. Loyola was missing key players due to injury the first game, this game Loyola is healthy and a hot team at the right time. I love the BR story this year but I think they are playing a different team than earlier in the season. 24-17 Loyola.
Good luck to both teams!
I respect your football acumen and hope you are right.

It’s going to be a great game! Good luck to both squads! Let’s go Ramblers!
Of course I hope for a good clean game with no injuries, but I wouldn’t be against the Loyola team getting some kind of three hour bug that keeps their studs on the bench from warm-ups to the last minute of the 4th.

This game has me more nervous than Marist.

That damn lawyer you know has really turned you against us. He must be some piece of work!
I do like LA and their program.

It was last week’s opponent, as well as BR, I wished IHSA infractions upon. I didn’t actually wish for that, but I prefer LA in this game, just as I do JCA over Montini - had to pick one Catholic School over the other.

I’d have grudgingly rooted for BR against LWE, so you know.

Reactions: Gene K.
BR 21-10. These seniors have not tasted defeat on their own accord and they aren’t about to start now. FINISH! Go Crusaders!

Reactions: Queen4
I’m gonna flip Edgys prediction and go BR 21-14. If Loyola is going to pull this out they are going to need help from the Football Gods who are normally very generous this time of year. LWE had 5 turnovers and LA took advantage of them like good schools do, if LWE played a clean game though, we may not be talking about this match up. If Rice has 2 or less turnovers, with their defense, they should be fine.

I’m curious to what Holecek has up his sleeve though. Obviously he wiped his ass with the last game plan. Except for a very brief time against Marist in week 1 has Rice trailed at all this year? Have they ever been in a close game where they had to fight to the end like week 1? If LA can somehow get on top by 2 scores, that will put BR in unfamiliar ground and make them adjust, we’re talking teenagers here, nerves play a bigger part.

I’m rambling, no pun attended saying that, BR 21-LA 14. Final answer.

And that’s what they said re: LWE/LA match up where LA Defense forced 5 turnovers, that’s good football and awesome D.

BR 21-10. These seniors have not tasted defeat on their own accord and they aren’t about to start now. FINISH! Go Crusaders!
You were ver
You had a very nasty post last week busting on MC for losing to a 3 loss team. BR just did the same thing. Like I said on any given Saturday ANYTHING can happen. You gave MC another quick shot saying we wouldn’t even score against BR...like Bowie said, be humble. But also be proud of your teams outstanding season. Well see you back in the New Blue next year.

2 types of football players: a humble one: and one about to be humbled.

GREAT DAY, BABY!

Reactions: ignazio
You were ver

You had a very nasty post last week busting on MC for losing to a 3 loss team. BR just did the same thing. Like I said on any given Saturday ANYTHING can happen. You gave MC another quick shot saying we wouldn’t even score against BR...like Bowie said, be humble. But also be proud of your teams outstanding season. Well see you back in the New Blue next year.

It appears that gorice swallowed a whole bottle of Flintstones. He needs to type up his proposed posts and reconsider them the next morning.

It appears that gorice swallowed a whole bottle of Flintstones. He needs to type up his proposed posts and reconsider them the next morning.
Yeah, um no. Don’t worry about me old timer. I pointed out that MC lost in a lower class. The team that beat them got smoked in 7A final. And they played in a lower conference this year by their own choice. We lost to a revenge minded conference rival in a perfect storm of everything that could go wrong. I stand by my statement, BR defense would have shutout MC this year, but we won’t get that chance to see. Keep on your meds & vitamins, hopefully see ya next year.

I stand by my statement, BR defense would have shutout MC this year, but we won’t get that chance to see. Keep on your meds & vitamins, hopefully see ya next year.

You'ave made many statements lately, and you've been wrong. Tease me about my age all you want. You can't ever be sure you'll live this long and healthy.

I actually made the trek to the game from Wilmette with my wife. Loads of fun. It was apparent early on that this would be a tough defensive battle. On Defense, LA was bringing a soft pash rush with their outside guys, more to contain the QB in the pocket while the pressure was fierce from the interior.
The linebackers were zone only so they would not turn their backs to Bean in the event of a scramble. Frankly, he had no lanes to run through. The great wr Summers had man coverage with safety help on almost every play. Holocek took away the two primary BR playmakers. Unfortunately, it felt like the BR coaching staff started making desperate play calls. Going for it from midfield on 4th down in a tie game, the unwarranted trick plays, going long over and over - the play calling seemed unimaginative.
Regarding injuries, The BR QB seemed 100 pct in the first half, but seeing it live he was blasted hard on almost every play, it took a hard toll on him. It must also be said that it came out after the game the LA safety Gonzalez was heavily taped pre game from a bad ankle sprain incurred during practice and the left guard Gianaris broke a finger but played on. You get hurt and you play on.
The best thing for LA was losing that first game. Not because of any revenge or emotional consequences but because it pointed out who the BR playmakers and what needed to be done to neutralize them.

Krocky and gorice:

It’s over. Rice lost. No matter what they did in the first half of the season, Loyola is my consensus number 1. Going from 3-3 to win the 8a title is what separates the teams like Maine South, Loyola and Mount Carmel from the rest of the very good ones.

Congratulations to Rice, Badke, the staff, and the players. You brought Rice back to the State Championship for the first time in 32 years. You also did something that no team in school history has ever done: gone undefeated in the regular season, and into the playoffs for 13 games straight.

Congratulations to Loyola. You owned the night that mattered most, and showed what hard work and perseverance are, never giving up on what looked like a failed season. That’s the mark of true character, and what could arguably be the best performance by a Holecek team.

I understand how you Rice fellows feel, and I respect how you're handling a difficult (very difficult) situation.

Reactions: Gene K.
No high school football games should be difficult situations to handle. It’s just a high school football game and we are just fans. Any emotion over a tough loss for us should be gone when the sun rises the following day. Life’s too short!

You are right on the money but its a lot easier said than done. Probably affects the players and coaches a lot more than us!

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT