ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA basketball contract will go to...

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Champaign for the Boys and I'll guess ISU will retain the Girls. All just pure guesses on my part.

Also look for the focus to become the next football host contract which ends I believe after this year in Champaign or 2021 in DeKalb...I'm double checking on that one.

I've said for a handful of years now that ISU will play a big role for the next football contract as host and I say ISU will get it or at least co-host. I'm very interested to see if Champaign wants football back and I would not be shocked to see them pass on football if they land Hoops. I also feel NIU has been a very good host for football...yes media wise it's bad but outside of that? Lots of positives from my observations....best case scenario is they rotate between NIU and ISU.

Also still don't get why IHSA insist on 5 year plus contract for hosting sites....if football has shown anything...rotating sites every other years keeps things fresh and I feel it keeps the host cities a bit more involved. Seen things drop off at various one site multi-year host in the past after the first few years....

I much prefer Brew-ha's. $2 burger basket and $2 imports on Tuesdays!

Its right across the street. In pretty sure its been there quite a while, but I can't find when it opened.

Its right across the street. In pretty sure its been there quite a while, but I can't find when it opened.
Other than a few stops here and there, I've been gone from ISU since 1997. That whole strip is completely different now, but the Pub II remains.

Other than a few stops here and there, I've been gone from ISU since 1997. That whole strip is completely different now, but the Pub II remains.

ISU has rocked it, really made the directional schools look bad.. the Downtown Normal area is awesome, the area along in Main has improved a ton with restaurants apartments. They have really created a big gap with UI, UIC and ISU between NIU, SIU etc..

Reactions: USD24
ISU has rocked it, really made the directional schools look bad.. the Downtown Normal area is awesome, the area along in Main has improved a ton with restaurants apartments. They have really created a big gap with UI, UIC and ISU between NIU, SIU etc..
Yeah, it's definitely not the same and obviously looks much better, but I'll still wax nostalgic for the old Shannigans and some Grog's pizza.

Sub Conscience.

And if anyone was around in 1992 spring - 99 East Cherry, Apartment Number Two.

I worked the door - the Offensive Line had shirts depicting them as security ... and like the hooker in Platoon, anything you want. This was Wonderland.

Then there were shootings and chaos at the end of the semester with the Rodney King thing ... That part sucked. But for 15 weeks, it was great!

Sub Conscience.

And if anyone was around in 1992 spring - 99 East Cherry, Apartment Number Two.

I worked the door - the Offensive Line had shirts depicting them as security ... and like the hooker in Platoon, anything you want. This was Wonderland.

Then there were shootings and chaos at the end of the semester with the Rodney King thing ... That part sucked. But for 15 weeks, it was great!
I was around then, actually lived at 104 W. cherry that summer and later 104 E Cherry in the house next to the gamma Phi’s. Racial tensions were terrible for a while down there.

yeah, I've lived on both sides of the tracks on Cherry. If you go there long enough, you live a lot of places and I'm not even a Doctor. :)

**SubConcious was actually good, Grogs was terrible, but still pizza.

i can't believe there's no love on here for schooner's. i love that place.

or lucca grill...........

Schooners was alright, but not on campus, same with Lucca grill. Normal loved DUI's too. There was a reason Bloomington closed at 2 and Normal at 1.

I was out by 89. Never heard of those places. For bars we had Pub II, Rocky’s, Shenanigans, The Cellar and Bogeys in Bloomington for late night trolling. Food was Michaleo’s and Avanti’s.

I was out by 89. Never heard of those places. For bars we had Pub II, Rocky’s, Shenanigans, The Cellar and Bogeys in Bloomington for late night trolling. Food was Michaleo’s and Avanti’s.
Schooner's has been around, kind of a towny bar in the Bloomington. All those you mentioned were still around until the mid-90's. Rocky's closed in '95. Lucca Grill, also in Bloomington, was around through the 90's as well. I got there in '89 and after a couple of tenures, I left in December of 95. It was Shannigans, which is a common mistake.

Press box at NIU that's from I'd guess the 1950's very little room to operate just very small cramp and cold and the same goes for any radio/TV etc. Amazed they can do any TV at Huskie Stadium to be honest.
Being in the box at both Champaign and NIU I can agree that Champaign is infinitely better.

Reactions: Zebra
Was that over there by University Liquors?
I'm not sure. I didn't attend ISU but visited buddies alot. And usually not in the right frame of mind to remember. I do recall it closing, then there was as foul shots 2 that opened up. Sort of a dive bar with sports theme

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT