ADVERTISEMENT

Get annoyed, Brother Rice

MC63

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lake County
The IHSA playoff show had six experts, including Edgy, discussing the brackets.

LWE is the overwhelming pick to win 8A. Even more eyebrow raising, more experts picked Marist than Rice as the runner up.

No one picked the Crusaders to win state.

You boys need to get mad!

Montini was a very strong favorite to win 5A. The prep writer from The Daily Herald even referred to Montini as "we."

In 7A, most had my boys losing to ESL in the third game ... most believe that ESL will win 7A. Only one picked the Caravan to win 7A, but it was Steve Soucie (who picked 5 of 8 winners last year.) Unfortunately, another guy who picked 5 of 8 last year didn't pick us.

If MC does play ESL in the third game ... ESL would already have one home game and one road game.. MC would have one home game only if Lake Zurich beat DeKalb. Otherwise, we drive down to ESL.

Games are played for a reason. We all know LWE is the favorite for lots of reasons but anything could happen. The leadership of Rice's seniors drives this team. They hold each other accountable and collectively play as one.

LWE and Marist have been proven programs for the last several years. Their coaching staffs rise to the top post season. Coach Badke has that monkey on his back. People are quick to point to the Smalling years and claim failure. This team is different. Not saying they'll win state but they play hard each play and have a great attitude. Let the games begin and good luck to everyone's respective teams.

This may shock some posters but remember I’m the lone MC wolf in a pack of BR alums in my family, but I really think BR can beat the Beast. They’re defense is outstanding. I’d take the under in that game!

Speaking of outstanding defenses, MC didn’t get the best draws but so what, you have to play the best to be the best. My main concern, outside of Maine South and LA and I guess you can include Hope in there the way their season finished out, is that they really haven’t been challenged. But it seems that their offense is really clicking at the right time.

MC63 what has to happen, besides both of us winning, to avoid the drive to ESL?

Lake Zurich needs to beat DeKalb. So you would travel to LZ in round 2. ESTL will be on the road in round 2 no matter what happens.

This may shock some posters but remember I’m the lone MC wolf in a pack of BR alums in my family, but I really think BR can beat the Beast. They’re defense is outstanding. I’d take the under in that game!

Speaking of outstanding defenses, MC didn’t get the best draws but so what, you have to play the best to be the best. My main concern, outside of Maine South and LA and I guess you can include Hope in there the way their season finished out, is that they really haven’t been challenged. But it seems that their offense is really clicking at the right time.

One game at a time at this point. The thought of a rematch with Marist kind of scares me. They’ve gotten so much better as the year went on.

I think the Caravan will make some noise in 7a. They picked the wrong year to go to the Green. Could easily be them winning the blue this year.

Reactions: Eringobragh
The IHSA playoff show had six experts, including Edgy, discussing the brackets.

LWE is the overwhelming pick to win 8A. Even more eyebrow raising, more experts picked Marist than Rice as the runner up.

No one picked the Crusaders to win state.

You boys need to get mad!

Montini was a very strong favorite to win 5A. The prep writer from The Daily Herald even referred to Montini as "we."

In 7A, most had my boys losing to ESL in the third game ... most believe that ESL will win 7A. Only one picked the Caravan to win 7A, but it was Steve Soucie (who picked 5 of 8 winners last year.) Unfortunately, another guy who picked 5 of 8 last year didn't pick us.

If MC does play ESL in the third game ... ESL would already have one home game and one road game.. MC would have one home game only if Lake Zurich beat DeKalb. Otherwise, we drive down to ESL.
Would be nice for ESL to have to make the trip to 103rd and Cottage.

Reactions: crusader_of_90

First, MC has to win is fist two game, as does ESL. LZ, meanwhile, as to win on the road in game one in DeKalb. This would get them a home game the next week against us. If MC and ESL survive to the third round, then both teams would have one road game, and MC is the higher seed ...so, welcome to the Roseland Rose Bowl!

Glenbard east is 9-0, yet no one mentions them as a possible opponent fo MC? No chance they beat the flyers?

Also, I’d love a little revenge on Lake Zurich, however as has been mentioned, MC hasn’t been tested since week 3. I think that’s the main read we beat Normal Community last year. We turned the game into a dog fight and they had no clue what to do

Reactions: Q5clan
I’ve always been a fan of having no one talk about you.[/QUOT
If your team has to get motivated by what others think or don’t think of them, the you’re in trouble.

That’s why we play the games.

If you know anything about this Rice team you know they are extremely self motivated.
Rather be the hunter then the hunted

Last edited:
How are you looking past a trip to LZ if you are MC? Didn’t they end your season last year?

How are you looking past a trip to LZ if you are MC? Didn’t they end your season last year?
That they did. Everything I’ve heard about them on this board is they’re not nearly the same team they were last year. I know that doesn’t mean anything, any given day.

Glenbard east is 9-0, yet no one mentions them as a possible opponent fo MC? No chance they beat the flyers?

Also, I’d love a little revenge on Lake Zurich, however as has been mentioned, MC hasn’t been tested since week 3. I think that’s the main read we beat Normal Community last year. We turned the game into a dog fight and they had no clue what to do
I don’t know much about Glenbard East but 9-0 is 9-0, they must be good

I think the majority of the panel went with Marist getting to final being of the mind set that 2nd time around Marist would win. But BR didn't play their best week 1 v Marist and their offense is clicking more. Also, Marist would have to beat H-F in the Q's to even get to the semi v BR. (if the Marist-BR semi happens maybe Badke can use a Lenti quote from '98 when PC played MC again in 5A final : "Be careful what you wish for" lol

Last edited:
Rice getting past Warren and Marist getting past HF are not shoo in's. When Rice lost to Palatine, I believe the following week would have been a rematch with Loyola at Rice which would have been great.

The problem Rice has is being worn down by bigger lines both offensive and defensive. That is how both Fremd and Palatine did them in.

Agree, Glenbard East; nice story for a school and a coach that deserves a little time in the spotlight in DuPage county. I give them credit for going 9-0 in a gutted Upstate 8 Conference. I think the ride ends vs ESL though.

On another note, why would the Upstate 8 bring in Fenton over former conference team Dekalb for 2019?

My point exactly everyone Has ESL and MC meeting, Keep in mind they both has to WIN first nothing will be easy as the teams they are playing has nothing to lose so they can try everything possible to pull out a win. No one expected them to win anyway

Reactions: Gene K.
One game at a time at this point. The thought of a rematch with Marist kind of scares me. They’ve gotten so much better as the year went on.

I think the Caravan will make some noise in 7a. They picked the wrong year to go to the Green. Could easily be them winning the blue this year.
I don’t know if we would have beat the Crusaders this year but that would have been a game I would have loved to see. Very similar teams this year. It was a real bad year in the Green. Two years ago Fenwick was a bad call from making it to the 7A State game, STL was in the semifinals 2 years in a row and the quarters last year, and De beat MC last year, so I was hoping for some good games, but all three of those games and Ignatius were rolling clocks at halftime. Not saying anything bad about those programs, lot of rebuilding years, but nothing the players could have done about going to the green. That was Coach Lenti’s decesion. The players should have been included in making that decision, and they were not

I don’t know if we would have beat the Crusaders this year but that would have been a game I would have loved to see. Very similar teams this year. It was a real bad year in the Green. Two years ago Fenwick was a bad call from making it to the 7A State game, STL was in the semifinals 2 years in a row and the quarters last year, and De beat MC last year, so I was hoping for some good games, but all three of those games and Ignatius were rolling clocks at halftime. Not saying anything bad about those programs, lot of rebuilding years, but nothing the players could have done about going to the green. That was Coach Lenti’s decesion. The players should have been included in making that decision, and they were not

Whether decision was right or wrong you cannot let the players make decisions like that. These are still 17 and 18 year old kids that still need to be told to clean their room and eat their vegetables.

Whether decision was right or wrong you cannot let the players make decisions like that. These are still 17 and 18 year old kids that still need to be told to clean their room and eat their vegetables.

So let one person decide the fate/reputation of an entire team without input? If that did happen and it was Lenti who made the decision, I would be happy he's gone if I'm an alum.

So let one person decide the fate/reputation of an entire team without input? If that did happen and it was Lenti who made the decision, I would be happy he's gone if I'm an alum.

I didn't say let one person decide that, I said the players should not be making those decisions for a school and program.

I didn't say let one person decide that, I said the players should not be making those decisions for a school and program.
Not make the decision, but include them in the decision making process. See what they think. They’re not 10, they’re young men, some of them officially adults. They made their own decision to attend the school and play for the program, or at least it should have been their decision, their input on a decision like that should be valued.

Reactions: mchsalumni
On another note, why would the Upstate 8 bring in Fenton over former conference team Dekalb for 2019?

Easy - Dekalb would instantly become a top 2 team in the conference year in and year out and just replace West Aurora with kicking sand in the face of everyone in the conference (other than Glenbard East this year of course).

Not make the decision, but include them in the decision making process. See what they think. They’re not 10, they’re young men, some of them officially adults. They made their own decision to attend the school and play for the program, or at least it should have been their decision, their input on a decision like that should be valued.
Isn't this what an AD and board of directors/president is for?
Their decision should represent what the program as a whole should want. I would maybe have captains give input but at the end of the day head coaches, long time assistants and the AD should come together to make the decision as a program.

Isn't this what an AD and board of directors/president is for?
Their decision should represent what the program as a whole should want. I would maybe have captains give input but at the end of the day head coaches, long time assistants and the AD should come together to make the decision as a program.

Just like deciding whether or not to go to the PrepBowl.

if that's how they choose to decide, sure.
Being in a conference for an entire season is a little different then playing in the prep bowl.
So are you saying playing in the blue is the same as the prep bowl playoffs?

if that's how they choose to decide, sure.
Being in a conference for an entire season is a little different then playing in the prep bowl.
So are you saying playing in the blue is the same as the prep bowl playoffs?

No, choosing to play in the Green when you are one of the most storied programs in the history of the CCL is akin to choosing the Prep Bowl OVER the state playoffs.

How do you think those seniors from MC feel when they see their friends/former classmates at BR, SR, Provi? The MC staff basically sent a message to their kids that they aren't good enough for the CCL-B.

I'm not feeling the zing since it's comparing apples to oranges but ok.
Moving on I agree MC should always remain in the blue. The idea was for each team traditionally in the blue (Br, mc, rita, pc, la) to take turns dropping down to the green. MC was first up In this new rotation format
Obviously with the new super conference the format is no longer.
I actually don't think MC had a choice in the matter

I actually don't think MC had a choice in the matter

This is where you are 100% wrong. They definitively had a choice to stay and took the path of least resistance. It's ok. One and only stop in the CCL-B and a second place finish for my Broncos will work. But I'm sure the Caravan players would have loved the shot at BR...

This is where you are 100% wrong. They definitively had a choice to stay and took the path of least resistance.

We understood that each school would rotate in the Green and we went first. If not now, we'd have to go in the future.What puts you in a position to understand differently? Seriously, if you have some bona fide details, spit 'em out.

Where do you get your information, anyway? What kind of punk are you to criticize Mt. Carmel?

You mentioned the path of least resistance. You play mostly big programs all year and now you're in 5A! What kind of unfair advantage is that? Another early morning trophy?

Path of least resistance! No wonder you had fireworks.

Why stop at 5A? Why not wiggle your way down to 3A?

This is where you are 100% wrong. They definitively had a choice to stay and took the path of least resistance. It's ok. One and only stop in the CCL-B and a second place finish for my Broncos will work. But I'm sure the Caravan players would have loved the shot at BR...
Hyde Park, Christ the King, and St. Joe’s were Montini’s Non Conference opponents. MC’s were Maine South, Loyola and Providence. Providence forfeited, not our fault. So when you look at our schedules, remembering that we both played Marmion too and Rita having a nightmare year, were they that different from each other? In fact I’d say MC was harder seeing that Iggy and Hope are playoff bound.

What kind of punk are you to criticize Mt. Carmel?

It's not a criticism of MC, it's a criticism of the person who made the decision. There was no "rotation" as you suggest. Worst record in the last two years moves to the Green with the option to decline. Do you think the players wanted to move to the Green? If yes, I'll gladly move off your lawn and quit revving my engine on your block.

Hyde Park, Christ the King, and St. Joe’s were Montini’s Non Conference opponents. MC’s were Maine South, Loyola and Providence. Providence forfeited, not our fault. So when you look at our schedules, remembering that we both played Marmion too and Rita having a nightmare year, were they that different from each other? In fact I’d say MC was harder seeing that Iggy and Hope are playoff bound.

No question their schedule was more difficult but why take the bump down? I'll ask you as well, did the players want to move to the Green?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT