ADVERTISEMENT

GENE K: POSTER OF THE MONTH

Blue Ruin

May 16, 2019
Chicago
I nominate Gene K. as poster of the month. He is all over the board. He reads almost every post, comments on many of them, and is generous with his likes. Other posters consistently make positive contributions and are equally deserving of recognition. But this month goes to Gene, the first of what I hope are many nominees. As Jim Carrey once said, "It's an honor just to be nominated."

Last edited:
I nominate Gene K. as poster of the month. He is all over the board. He reads almost every post, comments on many of them, and is generous with his likes. Other posters consistently make positive contributions, and are equally deserving of recognition. But this month goes to Gene, the first of what I hope are many nominees. As Jim Carrey once said, "It's an honor just be nominated."

Let's see if he'll "like" this one: Gene K. is a very overrated poster.

He's my favorite poster and not because we have a common team of interest.

He never makes negative comments about anybody and his posts are well thought and really make.you think.

Reactions: Simon "GHOST' Riley
Thanks for the kind words Blue Ruin. I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone (except a few) on this board. LOL. Running off to 4PM mass now. Will check in later to see if anyone says anything bad about me! LOL
LMAO - Well you did kinda take me to the woodshed yesterday or Thursday when you thought I was throwing mean jabs at a moderate poster, but you were kind of silent after you found out my jabs were directed at Bones who you have on Ignore. It must make for some interesting threads occasionally when you are missing posts. :)

Just kidding, by the way. I sort-of deserved it either way. But the Devil on my shoulder would not be denied from mentioning 265 foot CVS receipt.

Reactions: Gene K.
I signed up last year , Gene was one of the first guys I paid any attention to and he ausually commented on my posts. He was a Sterling supporter so I kept my distance at first. But the more I read his post I learned he was harmless. He was my welcome mat to ET.

I’d expect nothing less from a Man of Cascia. I assume Fr. Crawford beat some kindness into him during his time at 63rd and Claremont.

@Gene K. congratulations on your well deserved poster of the month award. Who are you cheering for if Montini and St. Rita meet in the state playoffs?

I nominate Gene K. as poster of the month. He is all over the board. He reads almost every post, comments on many of them, and is generous with his likes. Other posters consistently make positive contributions and are equally deserving of recognition. But this month goes to Gene, the first of what I hope are many nominees. As Jim Carrey once said, "It's an honor just to be nominated."

I think Gene K. has inspired me; I've been giving a lot of "Likes" as of late. He's a good man!

I’d expect nothing less from a Man of Cascia. I assume Fr. Crawford beat some kindness into him during his time at 63rd and Claremont.

@Gene K. congratulations on your well deserved poster of the month award. Who are you cheering for if Montini and St. Rita meet in the state playoffs?

Gene went to Rita? He's the poster of the year! You weren't there when Buckley was there, were you? If so, Gene has a youthful spirit to his "Likes."

Reactions: RockSoup
Thanks for the kind words Blue Ruin. I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone (except a few) on this board. LOL. Running off to 4PM mass now. Will check in later to see if anyone says anything bad about me! LOL
We have also learned tonight that GK goes to the longest 4pm Saturday mass. What is it like the 4 hour Easter Vigil tonight?

I mentioned it before that I went to St. Rita for two years. They threw my rear end out after too missing many days as I found a young lass who was interested in me. Great school, great baseball and football teams in the 60's. Pulled my achilles tendon trying out for the football team and that was that. I had Father Crawford punch me in ribs once or twice and he threw me into a locker once. Deserved every bit of it. Also had Coach Buckley paddle my ass with that what I would call a Louisville slugger with the holes in it. When your an young immature idiot you get what you deserve.

After Rita, I went to Kelly High which eventually led me to enlist in the Army. Forged my Birth certificate to get in (My father signed off on it). I served honorably (Ft. Hood, Texas and Toul, France) till getting out in 1965 at 19 years of age. Best thing I ever did was going into the Army as I started to realize the world didn't revolve around me, met some great role models and the experience really allowed me to see things in a totally different light.

Got on CPD at 20 years of age in 1966(old enough to carry a weapon but not old enough to drink) and never looked back. Was in LE for 42 years and was blessed to have a great mentor, a black Lt. (later a deputy Chief) who was like a father to me and helped me in my career, and also to be a better human being. During my time on CPD, I got my GED, college diploma from Lewis university, and Masters degree from Illinois Institute of Technology. That's my story and I sticking to it.

BTW, Rock, I always root for St. Rita first, and other CCL teams second, but when any of them play Montini I root for Montini, My grandson (now at the US Naval Academy) played football and baseball for them. I was very impressed, with the wonderful teachers and coaches at Montini, who really care about their students.

Hopefully this hasn't been too long winded and thanks again to all the posters for your kind words.

I mentioned it before that I went to St. Rita for two years. They threw my rear end out after too missing many days as I found a young lass who was interested in me. Great school, great baseball and football teams in the 60's. Pulled my achilles tendon trying out for the football team and that was that. I had Father Crawford punch me in ribs once or twice and he threw me into a locker once. Deserved every bit of it. Also had Coach Buckley paddle my ass with that what I would call a Louisville slugger with the holes in it. When your an young immature idiot you get what you deserve.

After Rita, I went to Kelly High which eventually led me to enlist in the Army. Forged my Birth certificate to get in (My father signed off on it). I served honorably (Ft. Hood, Texas and Toul, France) till getting out in 1965 at 19 years of age. Best thing I ever did was going into the Army as I started to realize the world didn't revolve around me, met some great role models and the experience really allowed me to see things in a totally different light.

Got on CPD at 20 years of age in 1966(old enough to carry a weapon but not old enough to drink) and never looked back. Was in LE for 42 years and was blessed to have a great mentor, a black Lt. (later a deputy Chief) who was like a father to me and helped me in my career, and also to be a better human being. During my time on CPD, I got my GED, college diploma from Lewis university, and Masters degree from Illinois Institute of Technology. That's my story and I sticking to it.

BTW, Rock, I always root for St. Rita first, and other CCL teams second, but when any of them play Montini I root for Montini, My grandson (now at the US Naval Academy) played football and baseball for them. I was very impressed, with the wonderful teachers and coaches at Montini, who really care about their students.

Hopefully this hasn't been too long winded and thanks again to all the posters for your kind words.

The only question is: who's going to play Gene K. when Hollywood reads this script?

Great story! I'm sure McCaravan is proud to have you as a CPD brother, as I have several immediate family members serving the CPD as well. So, you personally knew Buckley! LOL!

I had Father Crawford punch me in ribs once or twice and he threw me into a locker once. Deserved every bit of it. Also had Coach Buckley ((Kopecky}} paddle my ass with that what I would call a Louisville slugger with the holes in it. When your an young immature idiot you get what you deserve.

You just wrote one of my brothers autobiography...

MPA IIT?

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
Yes, I got an MPA in 1995 from IIT. BTW, the CPD paid 100% of the tuition if you got an A in your college classes. Needless to say I got A's in every class except for 1 B in Municipal budgeting. Learned a lot there about administrative police work as most of my experience in CPD up to that time was of the on the street variety. A little while after I got my MPA I left CPD for a small suburban PD.

Yes, I got an MPA in 1995 from IIT. BTW, the CPD paid 100% of the tuition if you got an A in your college classes. Needless to say I got A's in every class except for 1 B in Municipal budgeting. Learned a lot there about administrative police work as most of my experience in CPD up to that time was of the on the street variety. A little while after I got my MPA I left CPD for a small suburban PD.
I got mine December 1991. If the guy who taught the class (Budgeting and Accounting for Governmental Agencies) was from Water Reclamation District the B wasn’t your fault. He was a jerk. Also my only B.

I root for SR all the time too and for CCL teams when not playing SR. I like Montini. Actually I've come to root for all lot of schools SR has played against in the past. Morris is one of those schools. Like atmosphere of a smaller community.

You got my vote for poster of the month!

Awesome stuff Gene. We’re about 20 years apart and could’ve walked to Kelly but went to St. Rita on the Western bus.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Montini because Jim Segredo is a wonderful person (and St. Rita’s biggest loss to Montini).

But don’t tell @mchsalumni , @Wassup13 about my soft spot for the Broncos, I may have to deny it in a few weeks.

Awesome stuff Gene. We’re about 20 years apart and could’ve walked to Kelly but went to St. Rita on the Western bus.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Montini because Jim Segredo is a wonderful person (and St. Rita’s biggest loss to Montini).

But don’t tell @mchsalumni , @Wassup13 about my soft spot for the Broncos, I may have to deny it in a few weeks.

As a whole, we are very grateful for Jumpin' Jim. He righted the ship in Lombard and continues to be the biggest cheerleader for all things Montini. A true gentleman and clearly a product of SR and not Mt. Carmel. :D

You're a good man, Gene. Hope you have a great Veterans Day next month.

Please tell me you signed up for the VA. I love the care I get from them.

For those who don't know the Montini fight song is exactly the same melody as St. Rita's fight song. Here's to old St. Rita, with the colors red and blue, etc... Segredo must have brought it over to Montini as it is a really great melody which one would not forget. First time I heard it played at Montini, I about fainted.

Tomloner: You guess it. My B was from him, but I have to say that class really helped me a ton in my next endeavor. Congrats to you on graduating from there as the classes at IIT were much harder to pass than (no offense intended) at Lewis University. Where did you get you BA or BS from?

Yes, MCHSAlum, Jake is my grandson. He is now in his 2nd year, getting good grades and loves the Academy. Mitch West is playing Varsity football for Navy and also doing well. I see Montini's big lineman, Banks-Walls, has an offer from Navy for football, any idea on where you think he might end up. Jake, BTW, is now playing sprint football for Navy. He wants to be a Navy seal officer and the lower weight would be more beneficial when undergoing their testing. As an aside and funny story, at his confirmation in 8th grade, he told the Bishop, after being asked, that he wanted to be a Navy seal and the guy almost fell off his chair.

For those who don't know Sprint football is for players under 180 lbs for all eleven positions on offense, defense, and special teams. Their team in 5-0 this year, having beat Army in the 2nd game of their season. Navy plays in a league with 12 other sprint football team. It's a big deal on the East Coast!

MC63: I always fly the Stars and stripes in good weather and Veterans day is one of them. A lot of my friends on CPD use the VA, but I never did apply for it. They are all pleased with their care and their low prescription prices.

We have also learned tonight that GK goes to the longest 4pm Saturday mass. What is it like the 4 hour Easter Vigil tonight?
The 4PM Mass, depending on who you get is actually the best one to go to. We have the pastor, the singer and the gambler as priests and we root for the pastor as he usually has the shortest mass (hopefully that's not blasphemy). Usually out by 5 and have plenty of time to get to the eating spots to avoid the later crowds. We definitely avoid the 7PM Easter Vigil mass at all costs.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I always thought the early cutoff for Mass to count was 5:00 pm. Vatican II stuff there, I’m guessing.

Growing up, Cathedral (a few parishes east on Main Street, had the 5:00 pm Sunday Mass ... aka, Last Chance or Sinner’s Mass if you needed a Re-Do after 5:00 pm Saturday.

For those who don't know the Montini fight song is exactly the same melody as St. Rita's fight song. Here's to old St. Rita, with the colors red and blue, etc... Segredo must have brought it over to Montini as it is a really great melody which one would not forget. First time I heard it played at Montini, I about fainted.

Yes, MCHSAlum, Jake is my grandson. He is now in his 2nd year, getting good grades and loves the Academy. Mitch West is playing Varsity football for Navy and also doing well. I see Montini's big lineman, Banks-Walls, has an offer from Navy for football, any idea on where you think he might end up. Jake, BTW, is now playing sprint football for Navy. He wants to be a Navy seal officer and the lower weight would be more beneficial when undergoing their testing. As an aside and funny story, at his confirmation in 8th grade, he told the Bishop, after being asked, that he wanted to be a Navy seal and the guy almost fell off his chair.

Fight song has been the same since 66, save a change from maroon and white to maroon and gold in the lyrics and the line that follows.

Jake and Mitch are both great kids, wish them both nothing but the best in college and service, for which I am grateful!

Not sure where Jeremiah winds up but I think it will be Big10 or MAC. Not sure where he stands on USNA.

Thanks Gene, it was a pleasure to watch Jake play baseball and football in his time at MCHS!

The 4PM Mass, depending on who you get is actually the best one to go to. We have the pastor, the singer and the gambler as priests and we root for the pastor as he usually has the shortest mass (hopefully that's not blasphemy). Usually out by 5 and have plenty of time to get to the eating spots to avoid the later crowds. We definitely avoid the 7PM Easter Vigil mass at all costs.

Usually out by 5???

A Saturday afternoon mass should go no longer than 45 minutes. People start coughing around the 40 minute mark. That's the priest's signal to move along.

You're lucky if your Easter vigil starts at 7pm. A friend of mine lives in Evanston, and hers doesn't begin 'til 8pm, and it's 4 hours long! Yikes.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT