ADVERTISEMENT

GENE K: POSTER OF THE MONTH

The 4PM Saturday mass used to be 5PM but was changed about 15 years ago. 6PM Sunday is the last Mass of the weekend. FWIW, St. Mary Immaculate in Plainfield has 6,000 families in the parish. They routinely rake in over $2 million a year in donations,but are always in the red at the end of the year. Amazing isn't it?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Stone lizard: I like myself a lot but don't know it I could like myself that much. Well sorta! Could stand to lose 10 lbs or so. Could be that some people actually like what I have to offer on Edgy. My wife might tend to disagree with you guys as she has to live with me.

Anyway thanks to Blue Ruin and others for making me the October 2019 Poster of the Month. I am very humbled (really) to have been someone I have never met come out of the blue to mention me as such. The honor of Poster of the month from the previous months as well as years should go to Edgy as there is no one more prolific and knowledgeable than him when it comes to HS football. Looking forward to other Poster of the Month award winners in the future. November is right around the corner.

For those who don't know the Montini fight song is exactly the same melody as St. Rita's fight song. Here's to old St. Rita, with the colors red and blue, etc... Segredo must have brought it over to Montini as it is a really great melody which one would not forget. First time I heard it played at Montini, I about fainted.

Tomloner: You guess it. My B was from him, but I have to say that class really helped me a ton in my next endeavor. Congrats to you on graduating from there as the classes at IIT were much harder to pass than (no offense intended) at Lewis University. Where did you get you BA or BS from?

Yes, MCHSAlum, Jake is my grandson. He is now in his 2nd year, getting good grades and loves the Academy. Mitch West is playing Varsity football for Navy and also doing well. I see Montini's big lineman, Banks-Walls, has an offer from Navy for football, any idea on where you think he might end up. Jake, BTW, is now playing sprint football for Navy. He wants to be a Navy seal officer and the lower weight would be more beneficial when undergoing their testing. As an aside and funny story, at his confirmation in 8th grade, he told the Bishop, after being asked, that he wanted to be a Navy seal and the guy almost fell off his chair.

For those who don't know Sprint football is for players under 180 lbs for all eleven positions on offense, defense, and special teams. Their team in 5-0 this year, having beat Army in the 2nd game of their season. Navy plays in a league with 12 other sprint football team. It's a big deal on the East Coast!

MC63: I always fly the Stars and stripes in good weather and Veterans day is one of them. A lot of my friends on CPD use the VA, but I never did apply for it. They are all pleased with their care and their low prescription prices.
Grew up in West Englewood (71st and Ashland) so I started my Bachelor's in Political Science at CSC on 69th Street. Took eight years off between 3rd and 4th years to work. Graduated and then did 21 hrs in accounting. The guy who taught Cost Accounting must have been related to the guy from IIT. Then did Master's in Criminal Justice first before IIT.

Sprint Football sounds a lot like Lightweight Basketball from the Catholic League. They should have never given that up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
I was at 71st and Racine.
I think they filmed the Chicago version the 1979 cult classic "The Warriors" by your house..... I was from St. Justin's. Poor kids went to Harper H.S. Girls went to Maria, 70% of the guys went to Rita 30% to Leo. Dad worked 2nd full time job for 13 years so we could go to Catholic school. Walked to 79th and Ashland for the Highland theater, Western bus to Riverview, or drive in on SW Highway were childhood memories. Sad what it looks like now.

I think they filmed the Chicago version the 1979 cult classic "The Warriors" by your house

Yes, getting off the Racine bus, we had to fight the Baseball Furies to make it back to Coney. I went to Sacred Heart, now a vacant lot. Used to go to John's on Ashland for the best beef sandwiches in the known universe. Went to dances at St. Sabina, long before Father Pfleger cast a shadow there.

Yes, getting off the Racine bus, we had to fight the Baseball Furies to make it back to Coney. I went to Sacred Heart, now a vacant lot. Used to go to John's on Ashland for the best beef sandwiches in the known universe. Went to dances at St. Sabina, long before Father Pfleger arrived.
Fr. Faker is a story for another blog. Went to John's foods and liquor for a 16oz RC looking for a winner under the bottle cap. If so Cal Mar's for gravy bread. High School past by so fast. I hope these kids playing CCL football today enjoy it to the fullest.
Really sad how CPS football fell off.

Yes, getting off the Racine bus, we had to fight the Baseball Furies to make it back to Coney. I went to Sacred Heart, now a vacant lot. Used to go to John's on Ashland for the best beef sandwiches in the known universe. Went to dances at St. Sabina, long before Father Pfleger cast a shadow there.
I went to a Sacred Heart Grammar school run by the Franciscans at 46th and Wolcott, in the Back of the Yards. Kinda poor area with at least 4 different various ethnic Catholic churches within a mile and a half radius. Left there in 1956 for the Garfield Ridge neighborhood and got to enjoy my first bath in a real tub instead of a round galvanized wash tub.

Cal Mar's

Right, right, it was Cal Mar's for the beef sandwiches. Great Italian joint. Calzaretta and another guy was his partner. You, Gene, and I had similar backgrounds. I remember that getting a 7-Up was considered a luxury.

Last edited:
Right, right, it was Cal Mar's for the beef sandwiches. Great Italian joint. Calzaretta and another guy was his partner. You, Gene, and I had similar backgrounds. I remember that getting a 7-Up was considered a luxury.
We didn't move till 1975. Pretty rough that last year. I guess I came from a working poor family or the low end of middle class. But I didn't know it the time. My dad didn't buy his first new car till he retired selling back his vacation and comp time. In high school when I got off the bus at Loyola the first time with the fly's and bantam basketball teams I saw car models that I never saw before. But those rich kIds were pretty tough. They named Loyola's field after a Rita guy. He was pretty tough too. Jump forward 49 years and I would never have changed any of it.

Last edited:
Sounds like we were built out of the same cloth. Never knew I was poor or cared much about it as everyone in the neighborhood was in the same boat. My dad worked in the stockyards for Armour & Co till they move out to Minnesota. My mom worked in a factory on Western around 39th St after I was old enough to go to school. I wore my brother's hand me down clothes and even shoes for a long time. Still in all it thought me the value of a dollar and how saving it can improve your life. Like you Tom, I don't regret it either.

Yeah, lower middle or upper lower, right there on the border. Nobody had much money but there wasn't all that much to buy. No computers, color TVs, no houses full of stuff. Everything was pretty basic. I don't know what rich people did, but they couldn't have had more fun than us.

1st car was 62 ford galaxy 500. Burned a quart of oil every 5 tanks of gas. But a funky car beats a proud walk any day of the week.

Lol
My first car was a MGB. POS but it was a convertible. All kinds of electrical problems.
I let my girlfriend drive it to the beach with her friend. The car overheated and cracked the head.
The good old days. I learned how to work in cars. Growing up my family didn’t have a lot of money but my Dad was still able to provide for the family.

Lol
My first car was a MGB. POS but it was a convertible. All kinds of electrical problems.
I let my girlfriend drive it to the beach with her friend. The car overheated and cracked the head.
The good old days. I learned how to work in cars. Growing up my family didn’t have a lot of money but my Dad was still able to provide for the family.
Did that have two carburetors?

My first car was a Triumph TR7.
Blew the motor twice, the trans once, started on fire while I was driving, replaced most of the electrical system (Thanks Lucas).
Still my favorite car of all time.

Blew the motor twice, the trans once, started on fire while I was driving, replaced most of the electrical system (Thanks Lucas).
Best used car I had was 1967 Chevy impala with 283 engine. It was perfect but rusted away on me.

Did that have two carburetors?

No
I think it was a 1970. Red with black top. Looked nice but was broken down more than it was running.
White smoke after she did her number on it! Lol
Funny now sucked than. Haha I did learn how to pull the head off and send out to have cracked fixed. It was what you did back then.

They were cool but like the MG a lot of issues. I hated the stupid electrical problems, a known problem with the MGs

No
I think it was a 1970. Red with black top. Looked nice but was broken down more than it was running.
White smoke after she did her number on it! Lol
Funny now sucked than. Haha I did learn how to pull the head off and send out to have cracked fixed. It was what you did back then.
Can you picture a 20 something reading this thread? "I need a jack to change the tire... Who's Jack?"

Can you picture a 20 something reading this thread? "I need a jack to change the tire... Who's Jack?"

Lol
I have my wife’s car jacks right now. We bought a new truck and are selling her car. In good conscience I couldn’t bring myself to sell it until I fixed the clunking noise in the front suspension. Long story short changing out the struts, springs, upper and lower tie rods, control arms and sway bar bushings. It only cost me $250 in parts but if I took it to the shop it would be $3500. I am no pro mechanic but I am handy with a wrench. Lol

Lol
I have my wife’s car jacks right now. We bought a new truck and are selling her car. In good conscience I couldn’t bring myself to sell it until I fixed the clunking noise in the front suspension. Long story short changing out the struts, springs, upper and lower tie rods, control arms and sway bar bushings. It only cost me $250 in parts but if I took it to the shop it would be $3500. I am no pro mechanic but I am handy with a wrench. Lol
YouTube is great source to see how things are done. Even if you can't do the repair yourself you can be an informed consumer if you know what the repair shop is talking about. Oh yeah it's also good to scout your football opponent.

YouTube is great source to see how things are done. Even if you can't do the repair yourself you can be an informed consumer if you know what the repair shop is talking about. Oh yeah it's also good to scout your football opponent.

Lol
Yup. If your stuck its a great resource. I don’t suggest you start something if your not handy. Normally repairs on cars never go exactly as planned if you know what I mean.

My own first transportation was a 350 Honda Motorcycle. It was cheap on gas and it got me to and from where I needed to go. I grew up in Southern California so weather wasn’t a problem.

Me too. I lived in California in the '80s and '90s. Had a Honda 360, a very steady and reliable machine. Nothing like getting on the freeway and riding into the setting sun. California is glorious.

Last edited:
We don't move till 1975.

If you didn't get out until '75, you must have been the last one on the block. We left in '66, and it was bad then. And you're right about the Loyola kids. They were tough--tougher than you might expect, given their cushy circumstances.

Last edited:
Me too. I lived in California in the '80s and '90s. Had a Honda 360, a very steady and reliable machine. Nothing like getting on the freeway and riding into the setting sun. California is glorious.

Lol
The 360 Honda was my 2nd bike. It was a nice bike. Nothing better than riding a motorcycle north on PCH. Nice ride a long the coast all the way to San Francisco.

Corey - Me and the wife drove the PCH north to south a couple of years ago. Trip of a lifetime.

If you didn't get out until '75, you must have been the last one on the block. We left in '66, and it was bad then. And you're right about the Loyola kids. They were tough--tougher than you might expect, given their cushy circumstances.
3rd family. St. Rita moved too. Love the new campus. The new fitness center is sharp. They need a couple round sewer covers on a squat rack to give the place some culture. Mount Greenwood was a good fit for my youngest brother. More athletic opportunities for the kids especially the girls. Training is better and so is the coaching. Never saw a volleyball or a soccer ball at Murray Park back then. No cell phone, computer games (what's a computer?) or cable. We went outside and played, talked and learned to communicate without electronics. Back to football. Hopefully St. Rita can upset the 7-1 suburban Notre Dame of Niles tonight.

I may have to rethink my vote for Gene. Who does he think he is injecting common sense and positivity when I’m laying negativity on my team after they got rolled last week? Stay in your lane Gene and let me pout.

The conference CG and PR play in is pretty solid in football year end and year out, at least since I have been following them. I also like the fact that the youth programs in the area use the same offensive schemes as PR & CG, so these youngsters can seamlessly move into a familiar offensive setting. The CG & PR rivalry is one of the top HS football rivalries in the State and I would not be surprised, should CG & PR meet in the playoffs, if a different result would occur. At the least, it would be a much closer game. I'm not pandering for votes (LOL) but simply stating the obvious. Montini fan here, but I love what your conference brings to Illinois HS football. Hard nosed HS football, good coaching and knowledgeable fans!

@Gene K. well brother what can I say that hasn't already been said? You're one of the few posters on here that I haven't wanted to make a voodoo doll of at one time or another. Stay classy my man. Well deserved recognition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT