ADVERTISEMENT

Feeto's Friday Upset Special.....

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
If Mt Carmel beats Batavia tonight, would that be considered an upset??? I say no, so let's get on to this week's pick. This week we are going all the way out to Aurora (a place where I predicted a big upset earlier this year) for what should be a Saturday afternoon thriller. This week's pick is...... The Cadets of Marmion Academy over the Roadrunners of Nazareth Academy. Now the street has Naz as almost a touchdown favorite in this one, but I don't see it that way. It's been a strange season out in LaGrange, and if it weren't for a weak end of season schedule Naz would already be watching from home. The Cadets on the other hand have played consistent ball all year, with a nice balance on both sides of the ball. I like the Cadets tomorrow. Final score....... Marmion 28 - Nazareth 21. That's this week's upset. What are your thoughts and who is your upset?

Last edited:
My first time taking a stab at this.

8A Glenbard West over Lockport - Is this an upset?
7A Willowbrook over Moline
6A Crete over Iggy
5A Sycamore over Glenbard South, Pats over Rochelle
4A Philips over Kewanee

This is too hard
3A Monticello over Benton
2A BMac over Erie
1A Iroquios West over Abington

Palatine's at home, they have the talent to beat top teams and the projection is NV by 7. Seems like a good pick to me.
Gotcha. Neuqua's reputation for choking in the playoffs will most likely prompt plenty of upset picks each week and I totally get that. While Palatine is a scary 7-3 team since they beat MS, NV will probably win by 2 TD's here. They have too much talent on both sides of the ball. Also, Northwest suburban football pales in comparison to football played in Dupage County. When's the last time anyone ever said..."That Mid Suburban West conference is such a great conference"?

Gotcha. Neuqua's reputation for choking in the playoffs will most likely prompt plenty of upset picks each week and I totally get that. While Palatine is a scary 7-3 team since they beat MS, NV will probably win by 2 TD's here. They have too much talent on both sides of the ball. Also, Northwest suburban football pales in comparison to football played in Dupage County. When's the last time anyone ever said..."That Mid Suburban West conference is such a great conference"?
Palatine beat Maine South. That is a better win than NV has. Not sure why you need to take a shot at Palatines conference. When is the last time someone said the DVC was a great conference? Maybe when it still has WWS and Glenbard North.

You just might win by that much, you could also lose, this is HS football. I've seen NV play live and have followed them pretty closely because a few of their kids were recruited by the same schools as my son. Hell my God Daughter goes there, it's not personal.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
After last Saturday regarding BR what am I missing to not think Yorkville? On the road, on grass, odd start time with some travel. Yorkville did fine in a good conference.

The Crusaders did nothing right last week and eeekd out a win at home. Is everyone assuming things will go right this week in less favorable conditions. I view WWS and Yorkville in the same light and at home I go with Yorkville. You can say BR won and that is what is important but that solves no problems of what happened last week,

I like Naperville over Loyola at home as well. I don't think LA travels well and the LA running game didn't look too great to me.

If Mt Carmel beats Batavia tonight, would that be considered an upset??? I say no, so let's get on to this week's pick. This week we are going all the way out to Aurora (a place where I predicted a big upset earlier this year) for what should be a Saturday afternoon thriller. This week's pick is...... The Cadets of Marmion Academy over the Roadrunners of Nazareth Academy. Now the street has Naz as almost a touchdown favorite in this one, but I don't see it that way. It's been a strange season out in LaGrange, and if it weren't for a weak end of season schedule Naz would already be watching from home. The Cadets on the other hand have played consistent ball all year, with a nice balance on both sides of the ball. I like the Cadets tomorrow. Final score....... Marmion 28 - Nazareth 21. That's this week's upset. What are your thoughts and who is your upset?
It wasn’t the end of the schedule that got them in, although it was mild to say the least, it was the QB change. If the current QB started the season, I see weeks one and 2 one score losses go Nazareth’s way instead.

Be that as it may, it’s a good upset candidate but more from an offensive timing issue. They rely heavily on it and it’s just different on natural grass. Their skill players are so good and the weather seems really nice, Nazareth definitely can win 30-14 but it’s just hard at that place, well coached, tough, wrestler type kids. It’s a great matchup.

Palatine beat Maine South. That is a better win than NV has. Not sure why you need to take a shot at Palatines conference. When is the last time someone said the DVC was a great conference? Maybe when it still has WWS and Glenbard North.

Incorrect on all fronts. Fact Check:

-NV beat St. Mary's (ranked #6 in Missouri) which is a better win than Palatine has and NV has beat a total of 5 playoff teams compared to Palatines 4.

-Palatines conference (Mid Suburban West) has almost zero football history to speak of. Conversely, the DVC has 40 years of rich football history and NOT just from WWS and GBN.

Mid Suburban West Conference:
0 State Champions
3 Runner Ups
3 Title Game Appearances Total

Dupage Valley Conference:
15 State Champions (West Chicago-1, WN-3, NN-2, NC-2, WWS-7)
11 Runner Ups
26 Title Game Appearances Total

Yes, the DVC has been down the last few years, but IL high school football did exist prior to 2018.

I think we live in different IL high school football worlds.

Reactions: FalconPadre
My first time taking a stab at this.

8A Glenbard West over Lockport - Is this an upset?
That's an excellent question. Dangerous game for us. On one hand I feel pretty good about it. The defense helps me feel that way. But, on the other hand...I just don't know! I feel like the Porters are underrated. But, if things don't work out tomorrow, maybe they were rated where they belonged. Good thing we're setting our clocks back. I might be up late after a win.

Reactions: Lockport Dad
After last Saturday regarding BR what am I missing to not think Yorkville? On the road, on grass, odd start time with some travel. Yorkville did fine in a good conference.

The Crusaders did nothing right last week and eeekd out a win at home. Is everyone assuming things will go right this week in less favorable conditions. I view WWS and Yorkville in the same light and at home I go with Yorkville. You can say BR won and that is what is important but that solves no problems of what happened last week,

I like Naperville over Loyola at home as well. I don't think LA travels well and the LA running game didn't look too great to me.
I see your point of view. I favor the offense being one of the best in the state after nine games to the ineptness they showed last week.

In the face of stiff competition they scored
LA: 43
MC: 43
JCA: 52
Marist: 40

I believe they will have a bounce-back week, and Lausch will put on a show. They don't deserve to be in the quarterfinals if that isn't the case.

Remember, these are kids who go from thrashing their rivals in front of a raucous crowd to taking on a 5-4 squad with nothing to lose. WWS deserves a lot of credit, but I believe BR will perform well tomorrow and proudly represent the Blue.

Don’t know much about Naperville. Don’t they have a stud playing QB this year? If so, it could be a long night for Loyola because if they have a week spot it’s defending the passing game. If Loyola gets down I’d watch for Stearney to take off running a bit more……. He’s as impressive as Jack Lausch when he takes off with the ball.

Reactions: crusaderpride

-NV beat St. Mary's (ranked #6 in Missouri) which is a better win than Palatine has and NV has beat a total of 5 playoff teams compared to Palatines 4.

-Palatines conference (Mid Suburban West) has almost zero football history to speak of. Conversely, the DVC has 40 years of rich football history and NOT just from WWS and GBN.

0 State Champions
3 Runner Ups

11 Runner Ups

Yes, the DVC has been down the last few years, but IL high school football did exist prior to 2018.

11 of those championships came from teams no longer in the DVC

0 State Champions
3 Runner Ups

11 Runner Ups

I would suggest looking at the Mid suburban league as opposed to just one division.

Prospect has a pair of titles BG has one as does Hersey.

The MSL is traditionally strong but has not been of late. I would look at the whole picture as opposed to only half of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT