ADVERTISEMENT

Feeto's Friday Upset Special........

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
Well.......I'm on fire this year. I promise I'll leave my brothers in the CCL Blue alone this week. Can't put the kibosh on our conference 3 weeks in a row. For this weeks pick, we'll travel out to the DuPage Valley Conference. This weeks pick is........ The 2-1; unranked Lancers of Lake Pk. over the undefeated and top 20 ranked Huskies of Naperville North. The Huskies have a fantastic offense, putting up an average of 50 points per game. BUT...... What's up with that defense? They have given up an average of over 7 touchdowns per game. Lake Pk. is the real deal, putting up 36 vs a really good Waubonsie Valley team earlier this year. I see a whole bunch of points being scored tonight, but in the end I'll take Lake Pk. Final score.......LP 42 - NN 35. That's my upset for this week. What are your thoughts, and who is your upset?

Well.......I'm on fire this year. I promise I'll leave my brothers in the CCL Blue alone this week. Can't put the kibosh on our conference 3 weeks in a row. For this weeks pick, we'll travel out to the DuPage Valley Conference. This weeks pick is........ The 2-1; unranked Lancers of Lake Pk. over the undefeated and top 20 ranked Huskies of Naperville North. The Huskies have a fantastic offense, putting up an average of 50 points per game. BUT...... What's up with that defense? They have given up an average of over 7 touchdowns per game. Lake Pk. is the real deal, putting up 36 vs a really good Waubonsie Valley team earlier this year. I see a whole bunch of points being scored tonight, but in the end I'll take Lake Pk. Final score.......LP 42 - NN 35. That's my upset for this week. What are your thoughts, and who is your upset?

This would be your biggest upset this year IMO. NN's defense is getting better.

Not sure I am sold on LP to believe that they can score enough on NN's improving defense. While they smacked WV and squeaked by WWS, their loss to Dekalb might have exposed them a bit. Their score trend of 36->21->17 does not bode well against a NN defense that is trending the right way 49->37->25. For me, the 43 points NN put on WN was most impressive as no team since a Riley O'Toole WWS team in '10 has put 43 on a WN defense. I'm not always a trend guy, but this game, at NN, feels like a 35-21 NN outcome.

I really like the Brook pick as my real upset pick, but I am going to go way out on a big limb that will piss off at least one member of the community.

I am picking the upset of the year at the LT homecoming on Saturday as PW comes to visit and, I predict, will shock the LT faithful. Why would I think such an obscene, irrational event could happen? Hard to say, but for some reason, I think the new PW coach might be building something interesting. Getting blown out by LWW in Week 1 is to be expected as the new coach tries to implement his system and needs time to determine who is ball players are. Week 2 beating Morton is nothing to write home about, but there is a spark that showed PW players what it felt like to win a game other than PE.

The real test of my theory came last week. While DGN is never a contender for DSR, they do run a brand of offense that is unique to the WSS/WSG. The triple option is most effectively run by teams like C-G and MC (don't hate on me if I missed your beloved), but DGN runs one effective enough to put 24 first half points on Libertyville a couple of years ago in the playoffs. Scheming for the TO comes easy for some defenses (Hetlet's GW defense has not given up points to DGN since a late TD in a 49-7 win in 2011 (sorry if that sounds smug)) but is much more difficult for new coaches installing new systems in a league where you only see the TO once a year. When building a defense to compete in the WSS/WSG, better to build a D for all the spreads you will see as you only get one double wing and one TO.

The game last week against DGN told me something about PW's will to win. PW gave up 28 points to be sure, but DGN was coming off a Leyden game where they put 35 on a team that last week held a very good Willowbrook offense to 20 despite giving up 200+ yards to RB Jessen. Willowbrook had put 21 on HC the week before as a good measure. Point is that I like PW's defense as possibly having the athletes to play against the spread while also displaying some strength of will when facing the TO.

On offense, PW seems to be showing signs of life they have not in previous couple of seasons. Putting 24 on DGN doesn't sound "great" but DGN held Lockport to 14 and Leyden to 7 and the TO is a grind the clock down kind of offense that lowers overall point totals. These are not elite defenses, but it's a very positive that the new coach has them scoring consistently on offense (20-34-24=78 pts) after PW only scored 82 points all year in '16.

So PW might not beat LT, but they might just catch them sleeping on a Saturday afternoon when most of the LT kids are thinking about picture parties and prom shenanigans.

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
Im sure there will be some deserved scoffs and eye rolls,...but Im going with WV over NC. Same pick I made in the DVC thread. Something in the air tonight Phil Collins!!

Feeto I have a lot of confidence in your powers of prognostication, unfortunately you are wrong about MCHS. MCHS by 7

Reactions: feeto
2A Aurora Christian almost pulled it off vs. 6A De LaSalle last night.

Trailing 28-8 with just 6:30 remaining in Q4, AC drives and scores TD in 1 minute, now 28-15.
AC then kicks and recovers onside kick.
Then scores again to pull within 28-22.
AC stops DLS with interception, proceeds to score TD, goes up 29-28.
Left too much time on the clock.
DLS scores TD in under 2 minutes plus 2 pt conversion, goes back up 36-29. AC gets ball back with 50 seconds, gets inside 15 yard line, throws INT in end zone with seconds to play.
36-29 final.

Gotta admit I didn't like the outcome, but that was "good old fashioned slobberknocker football" the way it's supposed to be played.

First time I'd seen 41 in person..always charging hard, always falling forward...stopped cold on a key third and two late and managed to wriggle his way out to the first down. As an NIU alum I will be a big fan of his...starting next year.

He's a tough kid who is freakishly strong for his size. He doesn't take plays off... he does it the right way.

I loved the way the game was played as well.

Balls in passion.

I hope we get to do it again down the road...

Reactions: jsoulis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT