ADVERTISEMENT

dumb recruiting questions... D3 commits

So we prove you wrong and now the quality of D3 football matters?

So we prove you wrong and now the quality of D3 football matters?

Happy New Years
Quality of D3 doesn't matter and neither do you.
Point is you made a stupid statement and I called you out for it. Kids signing to play D3 is just stupid and it's totally done to get the kid and parents thinking they got something. Sure okay they got into the school. Big whoop. It's not like anyone cares except the kid and his parents. The public could give a rats ass.

Happy New Years
Point is you made a stupid statement and I called you out for it. Kids signing to play D3 is just stupid and it's totally done to get the kid and parents thinking they got something. Sure okay they got into the school. Big whoop. It's not like anyone cares except the kid and his parents. The public could give a rats ass.
What stupid statement did I make? I said U of C is on par with those schools, and D3. It is...

Where did you call me out?

Get it together Corey, this is a bad look.

So from what I'm reading here we should eliminate all levels of college football except for D1 because it's stupid and grand standing and all that.

And a D3 education isn't worth a damn because, well, it's a D3 school.

Every day I wake up and think I've read it all then I come on here and realize I haven't.

D3 schools can't offer scholarship money under the term athletics but they can and do offer money to athletes for books, room and board, lab, etc. plus with the major grants given to kids who apply and get accepted at D3 schools it's almost like a scholarship of sorts.

So again if I'm reading this right, if a kid loves to play football or basketball or baseball and he agrees to attend D3 level schools we shouldn't make a big deal out of our kids playing college sports? Because after all it's not Harvard Northwestern or Yale?

So from what I'm reading here we should eliminate all levels of college football except for D1 because it's stupid and grand standing and all that.

And a D3 education isn't worth a damn because, well, it's a D3 school.

Every day I wake up and think I've read it all then I come on here and realize I haven't.

D3 schools can't offer scholarship money under the term athletics but they can and do offer money to athletes for books, room and board, lab, etc. plus with the major grants given to kids who apply and get accepted at D3 schools it's almost like a scholarship of sorts.

So again if I'm reading this right, if a kid loves to play football or basketball or baseball and he agrees to attend D3 level schools we shouldn't make a big deal out of our kids playing college sports? Because after all it's not Harvard Northwestern or Yale?

Okay
I never said D3 schools worth a damn. I disagreed with the comparison to Ivy League schools that do offer athletic scholarships. Their are plenty of D3 schools that are very good academic schools like stated in earlier posts. My son went to an NAIA school and received a very nice Business degree so I have nothing against any small schools. I only said they were not a good comparison to the Ivy League or Northwestern.
Happy New Year guys. Let's not make this thread more than it is.

Okay
I never said D3 schools worth a damn. I disagreed with the comparison to Ivy League schools that do offer athletic scholarships. Their are plenty of D3 schools that are very good academic schools like stated in earlier posts. My son went to an NAIA school and received a very nice Business degree so I have nothing against any small schools. I only said they were not a good comparison to the Ivy League or Northwestern.

Your kid doesn't matter and neither do you.

Am I doing it right?

Happy New Years
From the looks of your posts, you clearly didn't go to an Ivy, Northwestern, or any other schools mentioned in this thread. Wow. I'm dumber for having read your posts Corey.

Okay

Cory, unless I am mistaken the Ivy's do not officially offer "athletic scholarships" either. However if they really want a kid badly - they can offer "full ride" grant money. Granted it's basically the same as a full ride for athletic purposes, but they "call it" something else other than an athletic scholarship. If I am wrong - board members please correct me and set me straight.

What many people on the board are saying is
1 there are multiple "D3" schools on par with the Ivy League from an academic perspective (examples abound in this thread)
2. It's a nice accomplishment for a kid to play at the next level (any level) and balance studies and sports. What's wrong with recognizing that?

Reactions: psspfan
Ivy League DOES NOT offer athletic scholarship.

Okay

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Your kid doesn't matter and neither do you.

Am I doing it right?

Really your doing what right. As far as my kid f you you don't know me or him so F off.
Happy New Year.
Stupid f'ing picture too. Prolly a picture of you sticking your tongue out.

Really your doing what right. As far as my kid f you you don't know me or him so F off.
Happy New Year.
Stupid f'ing picture too. Prolly a picture of you sticking your tongue out.
Um, I was quoting you as a joke. Perhaps you should stop while your only this far behind. If your son saw this he'd be really embarrassed IMO.

I lost any respect with you when you attacked my son. I'm done.
I attacked your son? Relax snowflake. I was poking fun at your statement in the previous post. Either way, your response is to mock a toddler?

I tell you what, I'll stop replying to your threads and just let everyone else in them to continue to prove you wrong. This should prevent you from becoming more unhinged. The Internet is a frightening place, I know, but you'll eventually get the hang of it.

I attacked your son? Relax snowflake. I was poking fun at your statement in the previous post. Either way, your response is to mock a toddler?

I tell you what, I'll stop replying to your threads and just let everyone else in them to continue to prove you wrong. This should prevent you from becoming more unhinged. The Internet is a frightening place, I know, but you'll eventually get the hang of it.

Yeah we both joined Edgy in 2005 you have posted 22,000 posts to my 3,000. Wow you need to get a life.
I don't make fun of 2 year olds just a strange weirdo who posts a 2 year old as his monicker.

Yeah we both joined Edgy in 2005 you have posted 22,000 posts to my 3,000. Wow you need to get a life.
I don't make fun of 2 year olds just a strange weirdo who posts a 2 year old as his monicker.
Yikes. That ol' argument... this is sad Corey.

Best of luck to you, and may you learn the definition and spelling of moniker.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

If you look at USNews, one of the more respected rankings, you will see that there are two D3 schools in the top 10, UofC and MIT...both are ahead of Northwestern and some Ivy schools.

it also depends on your field of study. if you are going for an undergraduate degree in business, Northwestern doesn't offer, neither do some of the D3's. Bentley is top 20 as undergraduate for business, per Forbes or bus Week, can't remember. Tufts is great school but no business undergraduate degree, but for Pre Med it is very well respected. Corey's original comment was not fully informed and very general...frankly as I mentioned earlier...just wrong.

Hampshire is emblematic of what I called the C-M-O-G schools (Carleton, Macalester, Oberlin, Grinnell) that took in a lot of my HS's top academic seniors. In a space of 1 year (actually my graduating class '91 to the next one '92), UI-Champaign became a favored spot for those that would have been locks for the CMOG.

Pssp/Jwar, what of Carnegie-Mellon and of Lehigh/Bucknell/Colgate/Lafayette?

Reactions: jwarigaku
Hampshire is emblematic of what I called the C-M-O-G schools (Carleton, Macalester, Oberlin, Grinnell) that took in a lot of my HS's top academic seniors. In a space of 1 year (actually my graduating class '91 to the next one '92), UI-Champaign became a favored spot for those that would have been locks for the CMOG.

all good schools. Babson is good too. there are a number of East coast d3's with excellent credentials. Each kid who wants to play at the next level needs to figure out not only a right fit academically, financially but also with the team they want to play for.

Reactions: jwarigaku
Siebel Institute is my most respected school. Just a shame they don't have a football team. Yet.

Don't be surprised if Grinnell drops football really soon. Look at the record of late, but more importantly the roster. Yikes...

Those of you who don't like D3-bound signing "letter of intent" should also not like service academy "letter of intent" signers.

Reactions: Gene K.
I know all the Ivy schools and Northwestern. What D3 school has the reputation of any of these schools. Name one? I can't think of any so I am intrigued on who all these schools are?
Williams, Amherst, Cal Tech, Emory, Pomona, etc.

Johns Hopkins is another top notch academic D3 school with a very good football program. The point is "signing to go to a D3 school" doesn't mean anything in the literal sense as a D1 LOI. (Mr. Investment Banker can explain what "LOI" means to those not in the know) At the same time in this internet age and "look at me now" media, let the kids have their fun, and post what they want. My son is a FR in HS and talks about all the kids on his Varsity team signing to play...I just explain to him that it really doesn't mean much. True D3 schools can provide assistance, Grants, etc.for playing sports, but it's never officially classified as such. BTW I know a bunch of Investment Bankers & Private Equity guys with UofC degrees, albeit an MBA.

Reactions: bronco man
Johns Hopkins is another top notch academic D3 school with a very good football program. The point is "signing to go to a D3 school" doesn't mean anything in the literal sense as a D1 LOI. (Mr. Investment Banker can explain what "LOI" means to those not in the know) At the same time in this internet age and "look at me now" media, let the kids have their fun, and post what they want. My son is a FR in HS and talks about all the kids on his Varsity team signing to play...I just explain to him that it really doesn't mean much. True D3 schools can provide assistance, Grants, etc.for playing sports, but it's never officially classified as such. BTW I know a bunch of Investment Bankers & Private Equity guys with UofC degrees, albeit an MBA.
While the U of Chicago doesn't offer an undergrad degree in business, the soccer-playing son of a close friend is doing very well in the business world with his BA in Economics from UC.

None of the schools look as good on a resume as any of the Ivy League or Northwestern
Corey-

I am a Northwestern alum, and you are dead wrong. In the sciences, NO school outranks Caltech. U of C is as good as ANY school in our country, and MIT isn't far behind.

There are actually many others. D3 just means non scholarship athletics. It does NOT mean inferior academics.

Those of you who don't like D3-bound signing "letter of intent" should also not like service academy "letter of intent" signers.

Last time I checked anyone attending a service academy was getting a full scholarship regardless of playing a sport or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT