ADVERTISEMENT

dumb recruiting questions... D3 commits

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
silly question here.

See lots of social media posts about kids committing to D3 schools. since D3 is non-scholarship what are they really committing to? Are they bound in the same way that scholarship recruits are? Do you even need to sign an LOI if you arent receiving a scholarship?

Thanks

silly question here.

See lots of social media posts about kids committing to D3 schools. since D3 is non-scholarship what are they really committing to? Are they bound in the same way that scholarship recruits are? Do you even need to sign an LOI if you arent receiving a scholarship?

Thanks

Great question. The blunt answer is they are committing to nothing since as you mention D3 offers zero athletic monies...yet in this day and age of "everyone wants to feel special" kids and families are positing "commitments" and several D3 schools are allowing athletes to "sign" a "commitment" letter....again it doesn't legally mean anything.

Again not all D3's are alike and not every kid's situation is alike. I have a daughter who turned down D2 money for softball and decided to attend and play for D3 UW Platteville mainly because of location, strength of the overall academics and also playing at a high level of athletics in the WIAC. I'll contend (especially in football) that the WIAC schools could easily play and compete in D2...yet again to answer your original question yes...you are "committing" to nothing.

Also good luck telling parents that these days...and it's honestly easier to retweet and list D3 "commitments" than fight that fight.

Thanks so much Edgy.

So in other words, a kid who "commits" to a D3 school could change any time up until enrollment if a D2 or higher school suddenly made an offer?

I have no problem with kids announcing they are committing to play D3 ball since in most cases they were recruited by multiple programs, but when I see kids signing a letter a intent to a D3 school in a ceremony it drives me crazy.

I get it,.. but come on guys.... is it really worth your "ire" and angst regarding the ceremony and everyone getting a trophy concerns? Not many kids play at the next level (any level),.. I say let them have their two minutes in the sun,.. no harm to anyone.

I do not mind them saying they are committed because they really are committed to a school: what actually does drive me nuts is when they say I have received an offer from a Division III school.

Some D3's actually send out "Offer letters" to recruits. These let's say they are offering an "opportunity to join their program." I find this crazy because most D3's are going to give that opportunity to anyone that decides to attend their school and wants to give football a shot.

I do not mind them saying they are committed because they really are committed to a school: what actually does drive me nuts is when they say I have received an offer from a Division III school.

^^^
This. Exactly.

^^^
This. Exactly.

Yeah I get it,... just personally think it's quibbling over semantics. It doesn't bother me. It shouldn't bother the kids getting scholarship money to play at the higher levels either, and hence how much harm does it really do?

A father of my sons classmate was a couple of pints deep and was telling the assembled that his son had gotten a "full ride" to a DIII school for track. I had to walk out of the establishment. Not to worry, I went down the block and continued my evening without the need for BS repellent

Great question. The blunt answer is they are committing to nothing since as you mention D3 offers zero athletic monies...yet in this day and age of "everyone wants to feel special" kids and families are positing "commitments" and several D3 schools are allowing athletes to "sign" a "commitment" letter....again it doesn't legally mean anything.

Again not all D3's are alike and not every kid's situation is alike. I have a daughter who turned down D2 money for softball and decided to attend and play for D3 UW Platteville mainly because of location, strength of the overall academics and also playing at a high level of athletics in the WIAC. I'll contend (especially in football) that the WIAC schools could easily play and compete in D2...yet again to answer your original question yes...you are "committing" to nothing.

Also good luck telling parents that these days...and it's honestly easier to retweet and list D3 "commitments" than fight that fight.
In general, academics are much stronger at a small private D3 school than a D2 school. My son is going through the process now and wouldn't consider a D2 school because of academics. Many D3 schools offer academic scholarships in lieu of athletic scholarships, but that usually brings the cost down from $60k to closer to an in-state school. You are recruited and can commit to a D3 school, but you are not committing to an athletic scholarship.

Lot of schools use it as a recruiting tool...having 20 kids in a room "signing" commitment letters...they post this on social media, get pictures in the neighborhood papers, grade school kids think "Wow" parents who know none the wiser have visions that it may be there kid up there someday....on the positive side these players are getting a very generous amount of financial aid

Some higher academic d3's will have the player "early desision" their application as a lure into a school they may not otherwise get into. Coach would have a half dozen "get into school cards" for a student who might not otherwise get into the school without the coaches help. Early desicion is nothing short of a true contractual NCAA comitment.

Lot of schools use it as a recruiting tool...having 20 kids in a room "signing" commitment letters...they post this on social media, get pictures in the neighborhood papers, grade school kids think "Wow" parents who know none the wiser have visions that it may be there kid up there someday....on the positive side these players are getting a very generous amount of financial aid
. In many cases kids that don't play any sports but have good grades get as much and more financial aid packages. D3 football is for kids that really don't want to stop playing. Yes I agree it might get a borderline kid into the school.

Sorry guys jumping in late here. Whether we like it or not, in today's world, it's all about self-promotion. I got this offer, I got that offer. . . "Offers" are only as good as the social media they are posted on until they have to sign on the dotted line. D3 kids need to "sign" on the dotted line to attend the school (and then the parents need to sign on the "check" line for them to attend).

Sorry guys jumping in late here. Whether we like it or not, in today's world, it's all about self-promotion. I got this offer, I got that offer. . . "Offers" are only as good as the social media they are posted on until they have to sign on the dotted line. D3 kids need to "sign" on the dotted line to attend the school (and then the parents need to sign on the "check" line for them to attend).

Lol
You got that right. The only kids needing to sign is the ones that are actually getting a athletic scholarship. D3 is not allowed to give athletic scholarships anyone saying otherwise is full of crap. The only athletic scholarships offered are the following.
D1 full scholarships
D1AA some scholarship schools
D2 1/2 scholarships mostly
NAIA full scholarships 1/2 or whatever they want. They are not NCAA governed

I'm very friendly with a family who's son got into a highly, highly respected Div 3 school (not Ivy League - but at that level) because of his soccer skills. He also got "tuition aid" although he wouldn't have been admitted as a regular student.

His sister did the same thing at another highly respected school. -- not Ivy League, but almost Northwestern

They both have student loans to pay, but a lot fewer $ than their classmates who didn't play soccer.

Any insights you boys might have on this sort of "aid" would be appreciated.

I'm very friendly with a family who's son got into a highly, highly respected Div 3 school (not Ivy League - but at that level) because of his soccer skills. He also got "tuition aid" although he wouldn't have been admitted as a regular student.

His sister did the same thing at another highly respected school. -- not Ivy League, but almost Northwestern

They both have student loans to pay, but a lot fewer $ than their classmates who didn't play soccer.

All d3 schools will give aid based on need but many schools will give additional grants for religious affiliation or good grades in high school. These type of grants help get students in the door but in order to keep the grants there is usually a GPA requirement.

I played d3 and in many cases the coach will try to get better aid packages for a stud recruit or set them up with campus job to help with the cost but it comes down to what the financial aid office says. I'm sure there are some schools where the coach has more pull then others but each school is different.

D3 schools not Ivy League? I am glad you pointed out not Ivy League because their are none. Also D3 almost Northwestern? That's a stretch. I would be interested to know what D3 school you think is almost Northwestern?

D3 schools not Ivy League? I am glad you pointed out not Ivy League because their are none. Also D3 almost Northwestern? That's a stretch. I would be interested to know what D3 school you think is almost Northwestern?
Think East coast schools
Plenty with same if not better reputations

Think East coast schools
Plenty with same if not better reputations

I know all the Ivy schools and Northwestern. What D3 school has the reputation of any of these schools. Name one? I can't think of any so I am intrigued on who all these schools are?

Not really... I played all of SR year with a broken arm, unbeknownst to me, and by the time I got on campus I was physically not there, even on the D3 level. I then tore my labrum and suffered a pretty nasty concussion. Turned Roberto Duran sadly...

Once they sign on to attend school as a student, they do not have to attend one soccer practice and they keep that aid.

Hampshire College?

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT