ADVERTISEMENT

Desperate Times calls for . . . . .

If you watched college football you knew Trubisky was at best a 2nd round pick.

That means it's between Watson and Mahomes. Watson did have his trouble with interceptions and watching Mahomes you knew he had a high ceiling.

This is why if the Bears did their own homework, they would have picked Mahomes.
I don’t watch a lot of college football but once the Bears picked Mitch I had never even heard of him.

now I’m wishing I never had

Reactions: ESCC Alum
That is a true statement. I am not impressed with Nagy at all. He looked good last year because the defense was outstanding. Whose idea was it to get Mike Davis and Cordero Patterson. They add nothing to this offense. Not using Tarik Cohen like last year either.

He got rid of Jordan Howard because he said Howard didn’t fit his schemes? Lol WTF he averaged almost 5 yards a carry.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
I know you all hate The Pack but Rodgers has 734 yards passing and 9 TD’s in the past two games. How many does Mitch have this season?

Just a thought, maybe Nagy is the REAL problem not so much as trubisky?
I said after last week that it's time to blow it up. This "championship window" is predicated on you having an above average QB on a rookie salary. You obviously don't have one. It's damn near impossible to get one now that your defense is getting paid. Hit the reset button on EVERYTHING. Fire Pace, and let his understudy trade assets for picks. Let his replacement pick his coach, don't make the same mistake with this new GM. Mack, Trevathan, Fuller, Robinson, you name it. We're going to need to get bad again before we contend for a Super Bowl.

I said after last week that it's time to blow it up. This "championship window" is predicated on you having an above average QB on a rookie salary. You obviously don't have one. It's damn near impossible to get one now that your defense is getting paid. Hit the reset button on EVERYTHING. Fire Pace, and let his understudy trade assets for picks. Let his replacement pick his coach, don't make the same mistake with this new GM. Mack, Trevathan, Fuller, Robinson, you name it. We're going to need to get bad again before we contend for a Super Bowl.
Here we go again. 5 more years till another winning season. We need to fire the McCaskeys really.

Reactions: IgorStL
Trade Taylor. Trade Trevathien. Trade Prince. Trade Dix. I’d kinda be open to trading 52 if it gets 2 firsts etc

Reactions: IgorStL
I still want the Bears to make the playoffs (ha!), but this ship is sinking fast. Bear should fight for last place in the north, win said last place and earn the last place schedule.

Therefore, keep the defense intact and "try" and get an explosive WR along with an experienced QB who could do well in Nagy's overrated system.

Montgomery has shown he can do well, so Nagy should run the ball more and viola, we are at 12 - 4 again in 2020.

Just a thought, maybe Nagy is the REAL problem not so much as trubisky?
Interesting thought. Did you happen to watch the Packers, Chiefs game on Sunday? I saw most of it. Of course, Mahomes didn't play. So Matt Moore filled in and did a pretty damned good job. The Chiefs scored 24 points and Moore went 24/36 for 267 yards, 2 TDs and no interceptions. Moore wasn't even in the league when the Chiefs signed him just before the opener.

This makes me realize, it is just as much a failed system as it is Trubisky with the Bears' problems.

I want the Mahomes and Watson guys to answer this question. Do you think either of these guys would be as good as they are if either was on the Bears? I don't. I am not taking anything away from their talent. I just think this system and Nagy would be the cause at to why they wouldn't reach their potential. Mahomes is very good. But he has outstanding receivers who get open too. And he usually gets good protection from his line.

Would Trubisky be better if he was on the Chiefs? I think so. Would he be as good as Mahomes? No. But he would be better than he is. Just answering those questions will tell you what you think of Nagy and the offense here.

Last edited:
Why? The Bears would just waste the picks. Name the year and player the Bears drafted a good player In the 1st round.
2018 Roquan Smith, 2014 Kyle Fuller, 2013 Kyle Long, 2007 Greg Olsen, 2004 Tommie Harris, 2000 Brian Urlacher, HOF, 1990 Mark Carrier, 1986 Neil Anderson, 1984 Wilber Marshall, 1983 Jim Covert, 1982 Jim McMahon, 1980 Otis Wilson, 1979 Dan Hampton HOF, 1975 Walter Payton HOF. Is that enough.

The draft can be a crap shoot.

Positive spin: For those good Catholics out there that plan your Sunday Mass schedule around Bears football now can sleep in.

Reactions: markmacaluso
2018 Roquan Smith, 2014 Kyle Fuller, 2013 Kyle Long, 2007 Greg Olsen, 2004 Tommie Harris, 2000 Brian Urlacher, HOF, 1990 Mark Carrier, 1986 Neil Anderson, 1984 Wilber Marshall, 1983 Jim Covert, 1982 Jim McMahon, 1980 Otis Wilson, 1979 Dan Hampton HOF, 1975 Walter Payton HOF. Is that enough.

Now name all the crap picks in the 1st round. I am sure it’s way more than you listed.

Now name all the crap picks in the 1st round. I am sure it’s way more than you listed.
You said to name all the good first round draft picks. I named some of them. If you want to see the ones who didn't pan out, do your own homework and find out.

Every team has a list of number one draft picks who were busts. And while getting a good first round pick is important, how a team drafts in the middle rounds will determine how competitive they will be. Not just now, but in the future. So, scouting is very important for the whole draft. Not just the first round.

Did you know, in the last 10 years, the Patriots didn't have a first round pick in four of those years? That includes no first round pick in either 2016 or 2017. It sure as hell doesn't seem like it slowed them down. They did have 2 first round picks in two of those years.

It all comes back to the ownership. The Bears have a bunch of non-football people running a football organization. Mike Ditka said that 30 years ago.

You said to name all the good first round draft picks. I named some of them. If you want to see the ones who didn't pan out, do your own homework and find out.

Every team has a list of number one draft picks who were busts. And while getting a good first round pick is important, how a team drafts in the middle rounds will determine how competitive they will be. Not just now, but in the future. So, scouting is very important for the whole draft. Not just the first round.

Did you know, in the last 10 years, the Patriots didn't have a first round pick in four of those years? That includes no first round pick in either 2016 or 2017. It sure as hell doesn't seem like it slowed them down. They did have 2 first round picks in two of those years.

It all comes back to the ownership. The Bears have a bunch of non-football people running a football organization. Mike Ditka said that 30 years ago.

The Patriots also consistently pick 26 or higher in round one so they tend to trade the pick away stock pile picks later in the draft so they have more room for error when picking 8 guys.

Real problem with the Bears first pick list is that you only list 6 quality picks in the first round since 2000. That a low hit percentage.

The Patriots also consistently pick 26 or higher in round one so they tend to trade the pick away stock pile picks later in the draft so they have more room for error when picking 8 guys.

Real problem with the Bears first pick list is that you only list 6 quality picks in the first round since 2000. That a low hit percentage.

We aren't actually trying to compare these 2 organizations are we? I know you're just replying to the subject in the previous post but it just hurts my brain too much and causes my acid reflux to kick in. ;)

Today, a coworker of mine who is also a professional car racer, asked me if Chicago was simply a bad place to play QB. He races on Sundays so he doesn't watch games, never has, but certainly understands sports, competition, and the role of drafting and scouting.

Certainly, he asked, the Bears have drafted QBs. He remembers that Rex Grossman was someone with big potential who ended up sucking. I also pointed out Cade McNown was another.

I theorize that the Bears have simply not had, ever, good QB scouting and evaluation skills. So that's 100 years. If my theory is true, then that's not only sad, but kind of statistically improbable. Maybe, however for a reason I can't explain, a QB simply cannot succeed playing half their games in Chicago, kind of like Colorado Rockies pitchers.

What do you all think?

Today, a coworker of mine who is also a professional car racer, asked me if Chicago was simply a bad place to play QB. He races on Sundays so he doesn't watch games, never has, but certainly understands sports, competition, and the role of drafting and scouting.

Certainly, he asked, the Bears have drafted QBs. He remembers that Rex Grossman was someone with big potential who ended up sucking. I also pointed out Cade McNown was another.

I theorize that the Bears have simply not had, ever, good QB scouting and evaluation skills. So that's 100 years. If my theory is true, then that's not only sad, but kind of statistically improbable. Maybe, however for a reason I can't explain, a QB simply cannot succeed playing half their games in Chicago, kind of like Colorado Rockies pitchers.

What do you all think?
I think that I want to work where my coworkers are professional race car drivers.

What do you all think?

I would counter that Lambeau is hardly a more accommodating venue for QB success but that hasn't stopped GB from 25 years of QB excellence.

Last edited:
I personally just wish the Bears would forfeit the rest of the season! It would make it easier on all of us!

The Bears have made 17 first round picks since 2000. They didn't have a first round pick in 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2019. I mentioned guys who are or were Pro Bowl nominees. I would add Leonard Floyd to that list.

The Packers have drafted 20 players in the first round since 2000. Seven of them have been Pro Bowl Nominees and one of those guys is currently on the Bears. Overall, they have done a little better. Rodgers is obviously a future HOFer.

On the flip-side, look at the Cowboys. Since 2000 they have drafted 17 first rounders. Of the 17, 12 are or were Pro Bowlers. Pretty good right? Since 2000, they have been in the playoffs seven times. Their playoff record is 3-7 and they haven't played in and NFC Championship.

The point I am making is that it really comes down to how a team does in the middle rounds in the draft. Most teams get only one first round pick. That is only one guy. We can all name late rounders who are in the HOF. Richard Dent is one of them. He was an 8th round pick.

And I still say the Bears' true failures over the decades are the result of a football organization being run by non-football people.

Last edited:

It's not really about the draft,I believe it's lack of mo-jo at Halas hall/coaches, they could screw up a 2 car funeral.

Bears ranked 28th or worse in 8 offensive category's. (Trubisky).

Mahomes was MVP last year.

Watson will be MVP this year.

Pace then should be fired for trading to move up in the draft and passing up not one but two MVP quarterbacks!

Last edited:
I would counter that Lambeau is hardly a more accommodating venue for QB success but that hasn't stopped GB from 25 years of QB excellence.
What's more interesting is that given the similar cold open air climate, Green Bay rarely has had a bellweather running back or running back tandem since the days of John Brockington, save perhaps Ahman Green. Their bad quarterbacking - Randy Wright, Don Majkowski would be some of the Bears better quarterbacking.

I can’t argue with you on that note. It’s tough to compare a program like the Patriots to the Bears. Best Coach and best QB in the history of the game.
I think Belichk could close his eyes and pick better than the Bears organization and then Brady would make them look like first round picks. Lol

I can’t argue with you on that note. It’s tough to compare a program like the Patriots to the Bears. Best Coach and best QB in the history of the game.
I think Belichk could close his eyes and pick better than the Bears organization and then Brady would make them look like first round picks. Lol
That is a better point.

I really get so tired of people here, in the public and in the media complaining about the GMs, HCs and players in that organization. The same guys complaining now are the same guys who complained in the past. They just complained about different people. And when this crop leaves, they will complain in the future about that crop as well. It may be the short answer to their failures. But it really isn't the true answer. You left out the true answer and the big answer to the failure. I will put it an equation form. Recent equation.

Jerry Angelo + Marc Trestman + Jay Cutler = The McCaskeys

Phil Emery + John Fox + Jay Cutler = The McCaskeys

Ryan Pace + Matt Nagy + Mitch Trubisky = The McCaskeys

It is easy to rip the GMs, Coaches and players. I am not saying it isn't warranted. But pretty much all of you and the media ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room. This stuff isn't going to change as long as those non-football people run a football organization.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT