ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic school guys - question

Sparty Jones

Oct 28, 2004
I was asked by someone about scholarships at Catholic high schools. How often are they given out? Are there full and partials? Are they need based? Are they need based but magically go to athletes?

Not trying to start any controversy, just curious how it works at the privates.

Financial aid is open to all. There's many scholarships for different amounts. Some first year only some renewable depending on grades and behavior. Some alumni donate money for a scholarship that doesn't always go to athletes.

Most kids on "athletic scholarship" are paid for by alums, not the school itself. Which is why some come on here pontificate about how the school does not give out money to anyone.

Most kids on "athletic scholarship" are paid for by alums, not the school itself. Which is why some come on here pontificate about how the school does not give out money to anyone.
Based in this response, different schools handle financial aid in different ways. I’ve never seen this at the school I attended and send my kids to.

Last edited:
Actually after my Jr. year , that was nothing to write home about , I was paid NOT to play anymore!

Reactions: Gene K.
i can answer that question BUT will not out of respect for the respective institutions mention their identities. did I believe there were scholarships? Nor in the past did i want too believe it. but the reality of it students who are athletically gifted are getting the financial aid, the awards, the work study opportunities, and special financing that others are not.

I am very sure that people are aware that private schools are private businesses and can charge people differently. I know two schools that negotiate the cost of their tuition with families. esp towards the end of their registration periods. Having an empty seat in a classroom is less money than someone paying a little less tuition.

People can say it doesnt happen. My experience was that it DIDNT. That has changed completely over the last 6 years. That's my 2cents.

Reactions: NickThilmany
Idk why it's a big deal what private schools do with their money. Kids who go to public schools are going because someone else paid for their building, books, sports facilities.
Do public schools charge to play sports?

As a Providence St. Mel alum and 4 yr scholarship student, I can tell you it was need and academic based. I had to keep a min of 2.75 to keep it and my parents couldn't make above a certain amount

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Wait... you have to pay to play sports at a public school? This is one of the issues our District has come under fire for with the pay to play fee.

Last edited:
Yes actually they do
I have no idea just curious. Like what would a kid playing football pay? Do they have fundraisers too?
The two privates my boys gone to it's a fee, paying for attire, and a fundraiser for the program. I'd say $500 minimum.

I have no idea just curious. Like what would a kid playing football pay? Do they have fundraisers too?
The two privates my boys gone to it's a fee, paying for attire, and a fundraiser for the program. I'd say $500 minimum.

It varies by school. Some do a fee at beginning of year that allows them to play as many sports as they wish and others do a per sport fee. The junior high I am familiar with is 40 dollars per sport. So for three seasons of sports it would be 120 dollars. I know another JR high in our area is 200 dollars per student for the whole year.

And of course, there is always fundraising.

I know of 2 pre- schools that are paying 75 dollars per kid per year, all of what you've been reading is more like fake news perpetrated by the public school people, practice hard,do good in school,and take you vitamins .

My son played football and baseball at St. Ignatius College Prep and received a partial athletic scholarship that when added to my payments of approximately $80,000 covered almost all the costs associated with attending the school and playing sports. Almost.

Similar scholarships are made available to all athletes at SICP.

No wonder the school must turn away most who apply.

I’m $132K into 12 total years at Carmel Catholic for three kids.

One of them made the record books there twice for a core Varsity sport.

Zero in scholarship help, but could have used it!

FWIW, I remember Father Rowe. when he was principal at Iggy, in the 80's saying for the price of a Chevy your kids will get a superior education after 4 years here. By the time they both graduated in 1989, it was almost the price of a fully loaded Cadillac. Now it looks like a high priced luxury Mercedes for tuition. Can't complain though as the Jesuit education was definitely worth it.

Different path for one of mine Gene K. LWE graduate free public school. Went on to the Tuition free Jesuit college degree along side some from St. Iggy. Saved Mom and Dad cash for other fun things. 20 plus AP offerings at LW-210 and having all the brains in the family helped. Now she is a Bernie supporter...go figure. Jesuits ..one step away from being non-Catholic.

Last edited:
St. Iggy has one of the most diverse student bodies in Illinois. Kids from every racial, ethnic and social class status, all of whom were tops academically. The Jesuits are noted for their liberal ideology and that is definitely instilled in their students. While I am far from liberal, I wanted my sons to have a different perspective on life, than what was available in the neighborhood they grew up in. At Iggy, they learned to work with others unlike themselves in a real world scenario and got an education second to none IMO.

Gene, different path for mine as well. Two graduates of LWE. One went to private college one went to public college. One has two masters degrees and the other has a Juris Doctor. Bride of #1son also a LWE grad jus.t got her doctorate. Didn’t regret one bit sending them to public high school. Saved the money to send them to good colleges.

My son and I are products of Jesuit education at HS and college levels. Well worth it. I am actually paying about 2/3's of the Ignatius tuition for his college tuition. Jesuit colleges like to get kids from Jesuit High Schools. Many Jesuit colleges award the Jesuit HS kids with great scholarships and grants.

One thing he really liked about Ignatius was that he learned the city. He had good friends from Beverly, Wildwood, Sauganash, Lincoln Park, Bridgeport, Hinsdale, the South Loop, Little Italy, La Grange, Rogers Park, etc. Learned how to get to all those places via public transportation.

Also learned Mt. Carmel jokes.

Justly famous for its athletics, Mount Carmel is no less notable for its academics. Rated by Niche.com as the #3 all-boys high school in the state, it has honors and AP programs that are as rigorous as those offered by any of its competitors. Perhaps because of its reputation as a football factory, the school goes out its way to attract the studious. If its football players get scholarships, so do those who manage to ace the admissions test. Diversity is a tiresome word and an overworked idea, but Carmel had it in abundance long before it started appearing in the mission statement of every organization in the country.

Last edited:
If you’ll want to talk academics and privates I suggest Benet Academy needs to be included.

Some all boys still able to stay strong and not have to bring girls in to save things.

Looks to be 7 all boys high schools who play football in Illinois (plus several small, more specialized schools).

The 7:

Marmion
Mount Carmel
Notre Dame
St Patrick
St Rita
Brother Rice
Leo

Heard they are a good school. Do they play football? If so what conference?

No just the 7 play football. Other than Northridge Prep (which is Opus Dei Catholic) most of the other all boys schools are Jewish schools. A few other specialized ones like an alternative school. But all of these are pretty small and no football. Northridge Prep is a couple hundred and is grades 6-12. Wonder if they would be allowed to Co-Op football with Niles Notre Dame since it’s close. But probably not allowed being private schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT