ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic school guys - question

Niche says it's #3 of 9. You have a point, but so do I. 99 % of graduates go on to a four-year college, including Champaign, Purdue, and Wisconsin. One kid at Carmel scored a perfect 36 on his ACT this year, the result of natural aptitude and the preparation he received.

Niche shows BR average student SAT scores are 160 points higher & ACT are a point higher but is ranked 8th of 9 based on YELP style reviews. OK, sounds legit. I can assure you outside of football & the baseball field itself (by this I mean the actual stadium, which might soon change), BR is considered better than every other aspect of MC. Don’t try passing off some bogus Niche ranking. Kids go to MC for football.

Reactions: chirocal44
Niche shows BR average student SAT scores are 160 points higher & ACT are a point higher but is ranked 8th of 9 based on YELP style reviews. OK, sounds legit. I can assure you outside of football & the baseball field itself (by this I mean the actual stadium, which might soon change), BR is considered better than every other aspect of MC. Don’t try passing off some bogus Niche ranking. Kids go to MC for football.
Would make sense most kids like to win but probably for baseball and wrestling too.
Rice has to do something, they have the worse campus of the 4.

33.333 rita guy.
Marist has the best spread and just built a college science wing, rita next just spent millions, carmel has spent millions inside and out, and rice has done? Only walked thru couple times during grammar school bball games and an open house. So maybe I've missed some improvements the last year.

BR is considered better

Rice has a student/teacher ratio of 18:1, compared to Carmel's 13:1. 77% of Rice's students go on to a four-year college, compared to Carmel's 99%. And Rice is a regional school, a draw for kids from the neighborhood, while Carmel casts a wider net and is thus more cosmopolitan. A lot of kids from Mt. Greenwood make their way to Carmel, but I doubt that anyone from Woodlawn ever went to Rice.

33.333 rita guy.
Marist has the best spread and just built a college science wing, rita next just spent millions, carmel has spent millions inside and out, and rice has done? Only walked thru couple times during grammar school bball games and an open house. So maybe I've missed some improvements the last year.
Marist is not an all boys school. It originally was, but wouldn’t have survived. Newsflash. Co-ed now. Apples to oranges.

Rice has a student/teacher ratio of 18:1, compared to Carmel's 13:1. 77% of Rice's students go on to a four-year college, compared to Carmel's 99%. And Rice is a regional school, a draw for kids from the neighborhood, while Carmel casts a wider net and is thus more cosmopolitan. A lot of kids from Mt. Greenwood make their way to Carmel, but I doubt that anyone from Woodlawn ever went to Rice.
Interesting to note, as enrollment drops, so does that faculty to student ratio. As things are trending BR might get down to a 20-1 student-faculty ratio. We’d be ok with that. If MC gets that down under 10-1 you may want to worry, Laurence was down there, next move is co-ed ( not by choice).

Both Carmel and the whole neighborhood stand to benefit greatly from the Obama Library. The school is bound to see an uptick in enrollment, just as the neighborhood is seeing a rise in real estate prices. In a few years Carmel could be known as Loyola South.

Last edited:
Both Carmel and the whole neighborhood stand to benefit greatly from the Obama Library. The school is bound to see an uptick in enrollment, just as the neighborhood is seeing a rise in real estate prices. In a few years Carmel could be the Loyola of the South.
Honestly that would be great. We all want to see the Catholic education system flourish.

Interesting to note, as enrollment drops, so does that faculty to student ratio. As things are trending BR might get down to a 20-1 student-faculty ratio. We’d be ok with that. If MC gets that down under 10-1 you may want to worry, Laurence was down there, next move is co-ed ( not by choice).
Rice is the safe easy choice for most in the area. No girls, not in a rough area. They'll always get kids because of that. Dont see where carmel would even get girls from, wont be from over here.
Think carmel got the most from southwest side in awhile. With the school improvements and success of the freshman team over the other 3 this year that number may go up.

Both Carmel and the whole neighborhood stand to benefit greatly from the Obama Library. The school is bound to see an uptick in enrollment, just as the neighborhood is seeing a rise in real estate prices. In a few years Carmel could be the Loyola of the South.
Granted this was from a Laurence guy who was pointing out all the flaws with carmels new stadium to start. But out of his ass he came up with that he heard, Carmel's campus as another option for the library. Carmel get a check to move and build. While I think that's nuts very interesting what if.

Carmel's campus as another option for the library

Possible but most unlikely. The Friends of the Parks would like to see the library planted elsewhere, but Obama has more clout than all the Daleys combined.

Last edited:
Possible but most unlikely. The Friends of the Parks would like to see the library planted somewhere else, but Obama has more clout than the Daleys ever had.
Oh yes unless friends get an ultra right judge to hear their case, Obama gonna put it wherever he wants.

Oh yes unless friends get an ultra right judge to hear their case, Obama gonna put it wherever he wants.
I edited the political stuff out of the post so we are only talking football while the playoffs are on going.

The site would be better suited for an indoor turf field with seating for fans. Play the preseason prep bowl. Indoor track meets in the winter. Question is there an indoor field house in the city. Build the library in Hawaii.

Last edited:
Reactions: Googertys Dog
But what's going into it? The hall for his accomplishments in Springfield -empty. The hall for his accomplishments in the Senate - empty. The hall for his accomplishments in earning the peace prize - empty. The site would be better suited for an indoor turf field. Play the preseason prep bowl. Indoor track meets in the winter. Question is there an indoor field house in the city. Build the library in Hawaii.

They are half way through building a field house at Gatley Park right next to the football stadium the indoor track will be one of the best in the country, it is a hydraulic track that tilts. The plan is to host the Big Ten indoor track championships there and other high profile track events, it is a truly amazing facility slated to open in March.

Reactions: SOUTHSIDECFD
They are half way through building a field house at Gatley Park right next to the football stadium the indoor track will be one of the best in the country, it is a hydraulic track that tilts. The plan is to host the Big Ten indoor track championships there and other high profile track events, it is a truly amazing facility slated to open in March.
Build 3 of them. North, South, and West.

Don't forget the Urban Prep Englewood, West and Bronzeville.
All are all-boys, charter schools.

One out of four, maybe.

I rode three CTA buses for 90 minutes. Never played football.

Reactions: Gene K.
But what's going into it? The hall for his accomplishments in Springfield -empty. The hall for his accomplishments in the Senate - empty. The hall for his accomplishments in earning the peace prize - empty. The site would be better suited for an indoor turf field. Play the preseason prep bowl. Indoor track meets in the winter. Question is there an indoor field house in the city. Build the library in Hawaii.

Smoky - your complaints are irrelevant.

Who can you name that made great accomplishments in Springfield (without going to jail)?

Obama was in the Senate too short time a time to be in charge of a committee ( pretty much the only way to make a big name for yourself.)

He did, however, as president, win the respect of most of the world for his leadership. He was an inspiration to the American people.

I know he had his shortcomings. Which president didn't?

BTW, the Obama Center will be a boon to Mt Carmel. I see a new Metra station (right next to the school) and a huge library our students will take full advantage of.

Show us on the doll where the former president touched you.

When did we become so soft as a society? I wasn't a big fan but this screams of Gen Z...

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Did you say ultra right judge in Cook County? Cook County hasn't seen an ultra right judge since Abraham Lincoln was president. Nice try though! LOL
Didnt say in cook county judge, would think they'll take it as high up as they can.

Reactions: Gene K.
Honestly would have thought the four year college numbers would be reversed with rice higher. What are the thoughts on why? I would think on average the socio economic level at Carmel would be lower than rice so why do more kids % wise go to college? If true thats an impressive stat.

Honestly would have thought the four year college numbers would be reversed with rice higher. What are the thoughts on why? I would think on average the socio economic level at Carmel would be lower than rice so why do more kids % wise go to college? If true thats an impressive stat.
Perhaps more of Mt. Carmel's base is eligible for no-fee applications and the quest for superficial diversity (and more power to them, should that stepping stone present itself), whereas more of Rice's base might be waitlisted or not garner enough fin. aid to be "worth it". Not sure about the trades, I would think they were about equal in terms of those who go into the trades and direct to the armed forces (perhaps this is the marginal difference w.r.t. college attendance), the white kid who goes to MC is less blue collar / more preppy than in those in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT