ADVERTISEMENT

Can any program lose 4 D1 players and still win?

I say Phillips kids have more absences than Herscher kids because of the difficulty in hiding in the middle of a soybean field.

I agree with you 100% here except, a family has to pay tuition at Leo and Hales. But yes, there's a long history of kids transferring out of CCL schools for a variety of reasons but good amount of it is a result some form of the following, academic issues, off the field stuff, transportation or cost concerns.

A few reasons why I believe Phillips is set up well to be a public powerhouse for the foreseeable future is as follows:
1. Public- NO TUITION (not sure of any boundary restrictions within 606-- zip code)
2. Recent history of winning/only CPS state title- personally I think they should petition up going forward but why should they care what I think
3. Recent history/number of scholarship players at the collegiate level
4. Academic support- at no cost, students are getting whatever support they need to qualify academically for NCAA athletics. I'm not here to comment on the school's curriculum and level of difficulty. From the outside, Phillips appears to check all the boxes in terms of making sure their kids qualify to receive athletic scholarships.

Based off just these reasons, I don't see why any family of an 8th grader on the South Side who thinks their kid has a shot at playing college football, wouldn't strongly consider Phillips as a high school option.
LAguy... all good points. The biggest reason, though, of why Phillips is where they are today- coach McAlister. This turnaround doesn't happen without him. LakeCtyNewt also mentioned this. Truly a miracle worker.

http://nationalpost.com/news/black-...cord/wcm/26752b41-f0c7-414e-8e5a-f4cb4f919833

Reactions: LAguy
Hard to fathom. Mount Carmel has lost two players to IMG in Houston Griffith and Verdis Brown and now two have transferred to Phillips in Jahleel Billingsly and now Terrance Taylor.

Can the Caravan remain at or near the top of the CCL Blue? Lots to consider at this time of the year...
How about we just start over....

Reactions: CPSFan
I say Phillips kids have more absences than Herscher kids because of the difficulty in hiding in the middle of a soybean field.

Yes, lets laugh at the kids that actually make the commitment to the classroom as well

How about we just start over....
Great idea.

Looks like some big losses in the front seven with Brown at IMG & Taylor and Billingsley at Phillips. According to USA baseball site, trials for the 18U team are August 19-24th and then the team training begins in Minnesota 26-29th. September 1-10 is the WBC tournament. MC should be able to handle weeks 1 & 2 easily without Thomas should he make the team (hoping he does because that is an amazing accomplishment and opportunity) but week 3 we get Loyola and then when he returns there will be some rust to kick off even if he's not playing QB.

The season really depends on how the O line and D line performs. If they can sustain some success I can see MC being 7-2, if not we may see about 4-5 or 3-6 season.

Mount Carmel has an excellent coaching staff and a ton of kids in their program so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they will be alright. The biggest question mark continues to be... Can their defense step things up allowing MC to grind out wins?

Reactions: McCaravan
Seems like nearly every thread BBCHS is in becomes in danger of being flushed.

HHS to BBCHS to ? What is the Next name once the banishment penalty is instituted again?

i like ASSHS for a suggestion.

You do realize that if I said the same things about Phillips at IHSS, which is mostly small school fans, that 95% of the people would agree with me???

What advantages does Rochester have??????? lol

I get it, you hate them because they are more successful than SHG, but to dream up that they have an advantage is funny as hell

All.... Wrong again silly. But of course that seems to be a strong trait of yours. I've gone over several times on this site (look it up) the unique advantages Rochester and Chatham have because of their proximity to Springfield. I can't help it your memory along with your arguments continue to deteriorate. (lol) Ratsy

Mount Carmel has an excellent coaching staff and a ton of kids in their program so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they will be alright. The biggest question mark continues to be... Can their defense step things up allowing MC to grind out wins?
As well as can their offense limit turnovers and sustain long scoring drives? The option pitch seems to have eluded multiple QB's the past 2 seasons.

All.... Wrong again silly. But of course that seems to be a strong trait of yours. I've gone over several times on this site (look it up) the unique advantages Rochester and Chatham have because of their proximity to Springfield. I can't help it your memory along with your arguments continue to deteriorate. (lol) Ratsy

SHG advantage is that they can recruit from a huge area..

Rochester plays by the same rules as the other publics, you are the only one that claims they have an "advantage"... the "advantage" you claim is no different than schools like Mahomet, Maroa, Tri Valley, SJO, Herscher etc have..they just match that up with a great coach..

Rochester plays by the same rules as the other publics, you are the only one that claims they have an "advantage"... the "advantage" you claim is no different than schools like Mahomet, Maroa, Tri Valley, SJO, Herscher etc have..they just match that up with a great coach..

it's very true. think of the difference between fighting for kids if you are SHG compared to St. Rita..

All.... As I stated in my previous post I have talked numerous times on this board why Rochester has the success they do. Keep those blinders on HHS. It suits you quite well. Ratsy

OK - LET'S GET BACK TO THE REAL TOPIC HERE. If Thomas does not make the US team then MC still goes a minimum 6-3. He makes it and misses Loyola then 5-4. However MC went from a legitimate state contender to not when Taylor/Billingsley left. Taylor is the real deal and his departure in particular leaves a hole no one on that roster can fill to the level of what Taylor could. Still MC will make playoffs - win a round or two and then lose

Reactions: NNFAN
I try not to think about it....mostly because of Griffith and Brown....but like I said when the rumors started about Taylor transferring last year, I really wasn't overly impressed with him. Is he good? Yes. Was he dominant? By all means no...I never saw him take over a game. I never saw him be this force. He's the right size and shape but no Power 5 offers because I think they saw it too...I won't discuss the personal side of him. He probably will dominate at Phillips and the CPS Division and in the 3A/4A playoffs but it wouldn't translate to the CCL Blue...MC went 4-5 and you can point to the defense for 4 of those loses, so put in some players that are hungry and want to win, not some kid playing for his Hudl/Twitter highlight and his hopeful college ride.

MC still has a very solid core and frankly I don't see LA that far ahead of any others - so I think they're beatable - but MC will need Thomas back against them to have any prayer. I just saw Taylor as someone who had/has a lot to prove this Fall to get that B10 or B12 offer. Tough to replace experience. Billingsley leaving also surprised me and he was a nice TE threat. Aside from those 2 I haven't heard of anyone else leaving or not playing. Rice lost a Junior to a recent knee injury who would have been the most dominating rush DE we had (McCoy) -

MC still has a very solid core and frankly I don't see LA that far ahead of any others - so I think they're beatable - but MC will need Thomas back against them to have any prayer. I just saw Taylor as someone who had/has a lot to prove this Fall to get that B10 or B12 offer. Tough to replace experience. Billingsley leaving also surprised me and he was a nice TE threat. Aside from those 2 I haven't heard of anyone else leaving or not playing. Rice lost a Junior to a recent knee injury who would have been the most dominating rush DE we had (McCoy) -
Billingsley didn't transfer if you get what I'm saying... I don't want to get this thread deleated so I won't get into his dismissal, but let's say his not missed on a personal or academic level on Dante, but yes he was a talent. McCoy was a very good player, my nephew played on that team his fresh and Soph level so I've seen him play several times. Hopefully he recovers for his senior year.

So with Alek Thomas missing days in August it looks like he won't have enough practices to play week 1. Think there was mention of mt Carmel having a good freshman qb last year on another thrread. Is there any talk to him starting week 1?

There is a 3A school in Elmhurst that has an open boundary, kids pay no tuition and is not multipled?
You said 3A schools don't go out and recruit athletes. You're wrong. You've also been a big BMac hater because they take all the athletes in Kankakee area. Which is it. 3A schools go out and get athletes or they don't.

speaking of transfers. ESL got 4 new ones ............

Cahokia
O'Fallon
Rock Island
Soldan International Studies (STL)

Must be nice

speaking of transfers. ESL got 4 new ones ............

Cahokia
O'Fallon
Rock Island
Soldan International Studies (STL)

Must be nice

ESL lost 4 kids to Cahokia and 2 kids to Madison as well. There are 4 others that didn't participate in summer workouts so I am assuming they will be transferring out as well.

ESL lost 4 kids to Cahokia and 2 kids to Madison as well. There are 4 others that didn't participate in summer workouts so I am assuming they will be transferring out as well.

Did those kids transfer due to losing their spots to the new transfers?

Did those kids transfer due to losing their spots to the new transfers?

"Their spots".

Spots are earned and not given. None of them showed up for summer workouts so my guess is no. ESL has never operated based on "waiting your turn". Underclassmen will start if they are the best player.

What is interesting is the transfer from Cahokia is now back at Cahokia.

"Their spots".

Spots are earned and not given. None of them showed up for summer workouts so my guess is no. ESL has never operated based on "waiting your turn". Underclassmen will start if they are the best player.

What is interesting is the transfer from Cahokia is now back at Cahokia.

Put simply, you had a QB with D1 offers transfer in, did any of the Qbs from the program last year transfer out? Do the kids who have disappeared play the same positions as the kids who transferred in?

Put simply, you had a QB with D1 offers transfer in, did any of the Qbs from the program last year transfer out? Do the kids who have disappeared play the same positions as the kids who transferred in?

No the kids that disappeared play different position for the most part. Most of them play other sports which would come before football. Most of the kids that went to Cahokia run track as well. 2 of the kids had discipline concerns.

The QB that transferred in had ONE offer (Jackson State) prior to transferring in. The back up QB from last year (now a Junior) is still competing for the starting job. The QB that transferred to Madison, quit last year to work a job and knew that it would be difficult to return from quitting. I am sure sports isn't the main reason but, in my opinion the move to Madison will work out better for him.

One last point, learning how to win is more difficult than learning how to play. The school listed either didn't make the playoffs or lost in the first round. NONE of those kids have a clue as to what it take to play in November. To top it off, a couple didn't start are see significant playing time from the school they left.

I hear Thomas may miss the first couple of games due to baseball, and Nakos moved to WR.
But please dont get all high horse on the "code of conduct" at MC. I know for a fact some kids with high profile parents get away with alot and have not been asked to leave.
And they have taken in kids that have been kicked out of other Catholic schools, and I am sure it happens at other schools, just don't act like Carmel is strict on discipline, especially to athletes.

To start, Billingsley didn't transfer, he was dismissed for a number of reasons I won't discuss. If IMG didn't come after Griffith and Brown they would still be at MC. To answer the question, yes they will still compete. They have dynamic QB in Alec Thomas, a D-1 linemen in Jeremy Cooper (Cincinnati) a returning RB in Nakos (10 TDs last season) and 8 starters back on defense.

People have been transferring out of MC for many years...Charles Frazier, Pierre Thomas, Reginald Cribbs, Lendell Buckner, Leon Hill, Mike Griffin, and many, many others...there are a wide variety of reasons...some is playing time...many is due to the discipline and structure...many of these kids are attending a Catholic School for the first time, where attendance is required, where a C average is required to play, where actions have consequences and they don't like it, so they go to public school. MC will kick you out if you aren't living up to the code of conduct. Tuition plays a huge role. When you recruit heavily out of areas where kids are experiencing Catholic school education for the first time, you understand that some kids are going to not stay 4 years, and you have a plan B or C in place.

As far as the offense, I don't buy it. People may be not going to MC because of the offense, but I don't think they are leaving, they don't hide what offense they run. This offense works. They won 12 titles, as recently as back to back in 2012 and 2013, and semi finals in 2014, they scored at will last season, they just couldn't stop anyone and that needs to be their major adjustment in 2017 and beyond.

When he gets the best of the south side and competes in 4A and now 3A, he should win.. how good could any coach from the I8 or Big Northern do if they could draw from such an enourmous base?

Wont that be like MC playing in the Green next year. That maybe chasing kids away as well.

OK - LET'S GET BACK TO THE REAL TOPIC HERE. If Thomas does not make the US team then MC still goes a minimum 6-3. He makes it and misses Loyola then 5-4. However MC went from a legitimate state contender to not when Taylor/Billingsley left. Taylor is the real deal and his departure in particular leaves a hole no one on that roster can fill to the level of what Taylor could. Still MC will make playoffs - win a round or two and then lose

I think if a team is relying on 1 player to win games, its not a very good team. I can see them hoovering around 5-4, 4-5 next year. Besides Alek no one is really special, Nakos has his problems holding the ball, never hear about their recievers and who is running the ball this year, I heard Nakos moved to WR.

I think if a team is relying on 1 player to win games, its not a very good team. I can see them hoovering around 5-4, 4-5 next year. Besides Alek no one is really special, Nakos has his problems holding the ball, never hear about their recievers and who is running the ball this year, I heard Nakos moved to WR.
1 dynamic player can make a big difference in HS. Having to gameplan for someone like Thomas (similar to Smalling, Brodner, Treadwell in the past to name a few) opens up opportunities for other players to make plays that might be overlooked. Their O line & D line will always be the key to success. Cooper looks good on the OL and MC usually plugs in some good OL. Had a RB last season that was a soph, we will have a better feel once Dean gives his outlook after Brown/White scrimmage.

Kyle Davis was a Soph running back who played Varsity last season and Dimetrius Rias was also a Soph last season that looked really good, so possibly 2 junior RB's...I just heard Nakos taking some reps at WR...I haven't heard anything outside this board about Thomas missing some games, but it could be possible.

I hear Thomas may miss the first couple of games due to baseball, and Nakos moved to WR.
But please dont get all high horse on the "code of conduct" at MC. I know for a fact some kids with high profile parents get away with alot and have not been asked to leave.
And they have taken in kids that have been kicked out of other Catholic schools, and I am sure it happens at other schools, just don't act like Carmel is strict on discipline, especially to athletes.
I'll respectively agree to disagree with you on our thoughts on how MC handles discipline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT