ADVERTISEMENT

Can any program lose 4 D1 players and still win?

So in the 10 year period of Rochester dominance you are up to 4 kids at Rochester.. From what I have heard, Phillips will have close to 10 this year alone. You trying to equate the two is completely desparate on your behalf

So from 2 kids (1 of whom was kicked out) to 10 now in one thread. I don't really know who your source is nor do I care, but I can tell you are desperately grasping at straws in an attempt to save face and your numbers are probably made up.

McCaravan - agreed that kids have been leaving forever, some by choice and some not. And if I recall correctly Frazier was asked to leave after '95 season but that's a story for another time. We have benefited from transfers before with Octavius Bond who was an excellent WR.

While I too believe that they have been scoring well enough to win some games, the defense the past couple of years has struggled with stopping the spread passing offenses.

If Thomas makes the USA U18 Baseball Team will he miss some time in August and possibly September for games?
I haven't heard anything about him missing time, but I'm sure he's missed some workouts. I think he will be back and ready...pure speculation though.

I've been very disappointed in their struggles stoping the spread the past 2 seasons. But in hindsight, not a lot of teams have been able to stop the spread at the high school level...hence why we are seeing 49-45 final scores more then ever.

So in the 10 year period of Rochester dominance you are up to 4 kids at Rochester.. From what I have heard, Phillips will have close to 10 this year alone. You trying to equate the two is completely desparate on your behalf

All.... I see your comprehension skills still need much work. Just showing certain advantages Rochester has had (and it continues) when it comes to sports which others (you) fail to admit. Not comparing them and couldn't care less about Phillips. But of course you know that. Have a pleasant evening HHS. Ratsy

So from 2 kids (1 of whom was kicked out) to 10 now in one thread. I don't really know who your source is nor do I care, but I can tell you are desperately grasping at straws in an attempt to save face and your numbers are probably made up.

Saw the "close to 10 " on another message board. Considering their past few years and that they are getting 2 from just Mt Carmel, we shall see.

By comparison, I can't think of a single impact transfer from the I-8 in the last 5 years.. 12 schools get zero, Phillips gets maybe 20 in that same period? It's clear what's going on, CPS schools can't win in 6A-8A, so the same kids find a school of 500 so they can win in 3A or 4A.

All.... I see your comprehension skills still need much work. Just showing certain advantages Rochester has had (and it continues) when it comes to sports which others (you) fail to admit. Not comparing them and couldn't care less about Phillips. But of course you know that. Have a pleasant evening HHS. Ratsy

What advantages does Rochester have??????? lol

I get it, you hate them because they are more successful than SHG, but to dream up that they have an advantage is funny as hell

I get it, you hate them because they are more successful than SHG, but to dream up that they have an advantage is funny as hell

Cant other schools like Simeon, Morgan Park get kids from around the city as well? Curie too? They seem to have no trouble doing it for basketball.

Yes I get these are bigger schools, but why is Phillips seemingly the only CPS team doing it for football?

Clearly you have a hard on for Phillips - so bitter so sad indeed. But wondering why they are the only CPS team that has seen the ultimate results from getting kids from all over the city.

Cant other schools like Simeon, Morgan Park get kids from around the city as well? Curie too? They seem to have no trouble doing it for basketball.

Yes I get these are bigger schools, but why is Phillips seemingly the only CPS team doing it for football?

Clearly you have a hard on for Phillips - so bitter so sad indeed. But wondering why they are the only CPS team that has seen the ultimate results from getting kids from all over the city.

You will have to ask the CPS schools that put no effort into their programs..

You continue to bring up the big schools as your example, which is exactly my point.. CPS can't win in the large divisions, so the kids go to the small school to win 3A.. and why the city of Chicago has a school with a capacity of over 2000 with 500 kids enrolled is beyond me..

I haven't heard anything about him missing time, but I'm sure he's missed some workouts. I think he will be back and ready...pure speculation though.

I've been very disappointed in their struggles stoping the spread the past 2 seasons. But in hindsight, not a lot of teams have been able to stop the spread at the high school level...hence why we are seeing 49-45 final scores more then ever.
I haven't heard of him missing time for sure either. I just saw the schedule for the U18 team and it runs into September so I was just assuming he'd miss some time if he makes the team.

Sigh... that's just the way HHS (aka BBCHS) Rolls!!

Tossing out extreme examples and numbers that cannot be validated.

In my humble opinion - Phillips steamrolling Hersher is the cause of most of this animosity towards Phillips.

2017 is a new year HHS!!

Correction, ESL was accused of multiple players however only one, as you mentioned, was proven. Also that one had been going to ESL schools since his 8th grade year. He wasn't a transfer which make it totally different. More people want the IHSA to enforce punishment based on conversation and not proof. In my experience, once it is proven, actions WILL follow. As far as the CPS, it was basketball in which the CPS blew their own whistle (curie), not IHSA.

Everyone can speculate however only 1% or less actually have facts.
The D-1 transfer from Missouri father came public and complained that his son was promised a car and clothing for inducements which were not fulfilled. Forget that that was a clear violation but the father didn't care if it was illegal he felt his kid was short changed. The Belleville news paper ran multiple article on this. The IHSA chose only to investigate one.

The D-1 transfer from Missouri father came public and complained that his son was promised a car and clothing for inducements which were not fulfilled. Forget that that was a clear violation but the father didn't care if it was illegal he felt his kid was short changed. The Belleville news paper ran multiple article on this. The IHSA chose only to investigate one.

Added: Also the kid was the coaches nephew and he claimed he never knew were he lived. The youth is question was convicted and sentenced to 15 years:

http://metroeastsun.com/stories/510...year-old-as-adult-in-belleville-armed-robbery

Sigh... that's just the way HHS (aka BBCHS) Rolls!!

Tossing out extreme examples and numbers that cannot be validated.

In my humble opinion - Phillips steamrolling Hersher is the cause of most of this animosity towards Phillips.

2017 is a new year HHS!!

Let's see what happens this year, last year they had 7 transfers according to one of their coaches..now all of a sudden that they could have 1-3 more is too hard to believe??

How many impact transfers have come from the Big Northern and I-8 combined in the last 10 years?? That's about two dozen schools, been more than 5? But one school is getting a half dozen a year?

Why are the kids leaving?

This is the biggest question in my opinion. I have seen kids transfer from CCL to CPS for decades now for a ton of reasons, with number one being some type of off the field conflict. Many were kicked out for grades or disciplinary reasons. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case here, but I personally know of at least 100+ kids who have fallen into this category.

While I can understand the frustration of losing players, to vent your frustration by claiming that CPS schools such as Phillips have an unfair advantage because they are in Chicago is ridiculous. If that were true then can you please explain why no other CPS football team has won a state football championship on any level ever. By that logic shouldn't small schools like Leo, Robeson, Hales, Brooks, and countless others be able to duplicate Phillips formula for success?

I agree with you 100% here except, a family has to pay tuition at Leo and Hales. But yes, there's a long history of kids transferring out of CCL schools for a variety of reasons but good amount of it is a result some form of the following, academic issues, off the field stuff, transportation or cost concerns.

A few reasons why I believe Phillips is set up well to be a public powerhouse for the foreseeable future is as follows:
1. Public- NO TUITION (not sure of any boundary restrictions within 606-- zip code)
2. Recent history of winning/only CPS state title- personally I think they should petition up going forward but why should they care what I think
3. Recent history/number of scholarship players at the collegiate level
4. Academic support- at no cost, students are getting whatever support they need to qualify academically for NCAA athletics. I'm not here to comment on the school's curriculum and level of difficulty. From the outside, Phillips appears to check all the boxes in terms of making sure their kids qualify to receive athletic scholarships.

Based off just these reasons, I don't see why any family of an 8th grader on the South Side who thinks their kid has a shot at playing college football, wouldn't strongly consider Phillips as a high school option.

I agree with you 100% here except, a family has to pay tuition at Leo and Hales. But yes, there's a long history of kids transferring out of CCL schools for a variety of reasons but good amount of it is a result some form of the following, academic issues, off the field stuff, transportation or cost concerns.

A few reasons why I believe Phillips is set up well to be a public powerhouse for the foreseeable future is as follows:
1. Public- NO TUITION (not sure of any boundary restrictions within 606-- zip code)
2. Recent history of winning/only CPS state title- personally I think they should petition up going forward but why should they care what I think
3. Recent history/number of scholarship players at the collegiate level
4. Academic support- at no cost, students are getting whatever support they need to qualify academically for NCAA athletics. I'm not here to comment on the school's curriculum and level of difficulty. From the outside, Phillips appears to check all the boxes in terms of making sure their kids qualify to receive athletic scholarships.

Based off just these reasons, I don't see why any family of an 8th grader on the South Side who thinks their kid has a shot at playing college football, wouldn't strongly consider Phillips as a high school option.

And your last sentence is the problem... how can that be the case and they are not multiplied??

At what point do we give credit to a Coach's McAlister? Not the easiest situation to walk in to. Yes transfers have helped the cause but it's impossible to ignore what this guy has done at a program nobody has ever won at in a city where no football program unless CCL has won.

Like it or not and I'm sure BBCHS will come up with a BS reason to strip credit from this guy, but he is as big a reason as any why they have been and will continue to be that good.

Reactions: Gene K.
At what point do we give credit to a Coach's McAlister? Not the easiest situation to walk in to. Yes transfers have helped the cause but it's impossible to ignore what this guy has done at a program nobody has ever won at in a city where no football program unless CCL has won.

Like it or not and I'm sure BBCHS will come up with a BS reason to strip credit from this guy, but he is as big a reason as any why they have been and will continue to be that good.

When he gets the best of the south side and competes in 4A and now 3A, he should win.. how good could any coach from the I8 or Big Northern do if they could draw from such an enourmous base?

I haven't heard of him missing time for sure either. I just saw the schedule for the U18 team and it runs into September so I was just assuming he'd miss some time if he makes the team.
Worse case scenario if we miss him the first 2 games, the back up Premovic is good enough to beat Taft and Lane. We need him back by week 3 to have any chance against LA... He may be rusty though!

This is just my take, but in the age of instant gratification, kids today play for the "ring"!
MC isn't going to win one anytime soon and Phillips probably will, and there is no need to relocate too far from friends and family.
It's an easy sell for Phillips. Just my two cents.
Good luck to all this season!

This is just my take, but in the age of instant gratification, kids today play for the "ring"!
MC isn't going to win one anytime soon and Phillips probably will, and there is no need to relocate too far from friends and family.
It's an easy sell for Phillips. Just my two cents.
Good luck to all this season!

Not to mention can skate thru school,, hell most of the Phillips kids wouldn't even be eligible at the school I am at. But hey, 2015 State Champs!!

Last edited:

That is not correct. IHSA investigated it thoroughly which is why the kid wasn't rule eligible again until basketball season. Interviewed all parties involved several times including the kid. The father couldn't produce any names nor could he produce any evidence stating his claim. The "concerned" father didn't attend high school or college graduation to my knowledge. At this point I am not sure if they communicate to this day.

I am 100% sure if anything was found, The head coach would have been banned from IHSA based on the claims that were made. At minimum, he would have been suspended. The Principal at ESL high school was the first person to call Mr. Hickman about the situation on behalf of the father. About 4 or 5 members of the IHSA team came down like the FBI and spent a week in ESL interviewing everyone including kids that were released from the team. I can tell you an IHSA investigation is not something I would wish on any school. I know most here believe they don't act on anything which is far from the truth. The problem is "most" situations are pure speculation from disgruntle individuals. This father couldn't describe the coach or couldn't give a name but, he all these promises was made.

In the end, I am not trying to go back to the situation and defend anything, I am just stating that IHSA do act on credible evidence and investigate. In some cases, a PI is hired to investigate the claims. I can't speak for everyone or every school but, in this case the coach must have been innocent. Every school in the conference jumped on board to help with this investigation. This was movie material.

Not to mention can skate thru school,, hell most of the Phillips kids wouldn't even be eligible at the school I am at. But hey, 2015 State Champs!!

You want your example from a previous post here it is! Don't be critical of kids where you just were where you know nothing about these kids and their situation.

This is being critical of these kids saying they wouldn't make it at another school. Who are you to judge?

Would the kids from Herschel handle the high academic stds as easily at Hinsdale or Stevenson or new trier?

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
When he gets the best of the south side and competes in 4A and now 3A, he should win.. how good could any coach from the I8 or Big Northern do if they could draw from such an enourmous base?
You are living in a hypothetical world with the above statement. I would submit there is not a single coach in the I8 or Big Northern conferences who would trade places with McAlister. He faces numerous off-the-field challenges on a daily basis that those coaches do not have to face....nor would have any desire to face.

Reactions: Gene K.
You want your example from a previous post here it is! Don't be critical of kids where you just were where you know nothing about these kids and their situation.

This is being critical of these kids saying they wouldn't make it at another school. Who are you to judge?

Would the kids from Herschel handle the high academic stds as easily at Hinsdale or Stevenson or new trier?
Excellent point. And this is the same guy who was critical of people debating farm subsidies, when they allegedly knew nothing (his assertion) about the subject matter. I dare say a resident of a rural IL community knows little about the kids or environment in the Southside of Chicago.

Take your own advice HHS. Don't post about kids or schools of which you know next to nothing.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

1. HHS kids would do just fine at the 3 schools you mentioned..

2. I said the Phillips kids wouldn't be eligible to be in athletics at the school I am at, based on policies in place and info on ISBE website. No judging, just a fact..

Excellent point. And this is the same guy who was critical of people debating farm subsidies, when they allegedly knew nothing (his assertion) about the subject matter. I dare say a resident of a rural IL community knows little about the kids or environment in the Southside of Chicago.

Take your own advice HHS. Don't post about kids or schools of which you know next to nothing.

Call me old school..I know that if kids aren't showing up for class to a certain standard, they are not playing on Friday nights. In student- athletes, student comes first.

1. HHS kids would do just fine at the 3 schools you mentioned..

2. I said the Phillips kids wouldn't be eligible to be in athletics at the school I am at, based on policies in place and info on ISBE website. No judging, just a fact..

And this is based on what? You throw these comments out with no factual evidence. You have no idea that they would or wouldn't just like I don't either. To throw the blanket saying oh HHSs would be fine and Philips has no chance is feigning ignorance.

Just admit you hate all things Philips and dare I say your comments are borderline racist.

You're a piece of work. You have no idea what the kids are Phillips go through on a daily basis.

So without meeting any percentage of the kids, you can say "most" wouldn't qualify? Why is that? What do you know that qualifies that assumption?

You are a serious piece of trash, and this is me restraining...

We have policies in place that if a student has a certain number of unexcused absents, they are not allowed to play..

So I am trash because I believe in academics first??? LOL

And this is based on what? You throw these comments out with no factual evidence. You have no idea that they would or wouldn't just like I don't either. To throw the blanket saying oh HHSs would be fine and Philips has no chance is feigning ignorance.

Just admit you hate all things Philips and dare I say your comments are borderline racist.

You're a piece of work. You have no idea what the kids are Phillips go through on a daily basis.

Racist??? LOL

Hate Phillips? No... but I find it disturbing that people like you continue to justify what goes on there. It's sad that the family structure has failed so many of these kids and I question if the school system isn't doing the same thing..

Average ACT of 15.4
Chronic truancy rate of 100%
3% of kids college ready

Yet they are allowed to attend there just so they can go beat up 3A football schools? Where are the priorities?

We have policies in place that if a student has a certain number of unexcused absents, they are not allowed to play..

So I am trash because I believe in academics first??? LOL

How do you know they are absent and it is not excused? How do you know that ANY school is playing a kid that wouldn't be eligible at another school? How would you have such personal information about the kid and the school?

How do you know they are absent and it is not excused? How do you know that ANY school is playing a kid that wouldn't be eligible at another school? How would you have such personal information about the kid and the school?

To be labeled as chronic truant there has to be 10 days of unexcused misses.

The info is listed on their ISBE report card

That is not correct. IHSA investigated it thoroughly which is why the kid wasn't rule eligible again until basketball season. Interviewed all parties involved several times including the kid. The father couldn't produce any names nor could he produce any evidence stating his claim. The "concerned" father didn't attend high school or college graduation to my knowledge. At this point I am not sure if they communicate to this day.

I am 100% sure if anything was found, The head coach would have been banned from IHSA based on the claims that were made. At minimum, he would have been suspended. The Principal at ESL high school was the first person to call Mr. Hickman about the situation on behalf of the father. About 4 or 5 members of the IHSA team came down like the FBI and spent a week in ESL interviewing everyone including kids that were released from the team. I can tell you an IHSA investigation is not something I would wish on any school. I know most here believe they don't act on anything which is far from the truth. The problem is "most" situations are pure speculation from disgruntle individuals. This father couldn't describe the coach or couldn't give a name but, he all these promises was made.

In the end, I am not trying to go back to the situation and defend anything, I am just stating that IHSA do act on credible evidence and investigate. In some cases, a PI is hired to investigate the claims. I can't speak for everyone or every school but, in this case the coach must have been innocent. Every school in the conference jumped on board to help with this investigation. This was movie material.

Could post the link to the investigation you cite?

This is the link to the only case they decided to rule on. There were other players from the Bellevue and Cahokia school districts that were not investigated either besides the kid from Missouri. http://ihsa.org/NewsMedia/Announcem...ed-From-2010-IHSA-Football-Playoff-Field.aspx

I can't speak for everyone or every school but, in this case the coach must have been innocent.

Why was the coach not suspended? Fill in the blank _____________.

Racist??? LOL

Hate Phillips? No... but I find it disturbing that people like you continue to justify what goes on there. It's sad that the family structure has failed so many of these kids and I question if the school system isn't doing the same thing..

Average ACT of 15.4
Chronic truancy rate of 100%
3% of kids college ready

Yet they are allowed to attend there just so they can go beat up 3A football schools? Where are the priorities?

I'm not condoning a thing here. Take football away in a crime riddled impoverished area of the city and what is the breakaway for the kids? I'd like to see what the acandemic numbers are for the football players now and what they were before McAlister got there.

Every community can't be squeaky clean with high community values like Heraxher. I think we should all use the examples they have set forth to raise our kids, produce our athletes and to extol the values that makes America great again.

I'm moving my family there tomorrow - gosh I'm so inspired

I'm not condoning a thing here. Take football away in a crime riddled impoverished area of the city and what is the breakaway for the kids? I'd like to see what the acandemic numbers are for the football players now and what they were before McAlister got there.

Every community can't be squeaky clean with high community values like Heraxher. I think we should all use the examples they have set forth to raise our kids, produce our athletes and to extol the values that makes America great again.

I'm moving my family there tomorrow - gosh I'm so inspired

So they cant be expected to attend class AND play football?

Racist??? LOL

Could post the link to the investigation you cite?

This is the link to the only case they decided to rule on. There were other players from the Bellevue and Cahokia school districts that were not investigated either besides the kid from Missouri. http://ihsa.org/NewsMedia/Announcem...ed-From-2010-IHSA-Football-Playoff-Field.aspx

I can't speak for everyone or every school but, in this case the coach must have been innocent.

Why was the coach not suspended? Fill in the blank _____________.

I have already answered your question. Not interested in trying to prove anything to anybody. I spoke on what happened. You can conclude what you want. IHSA spent a week in ESL and a Private investigator was hired. The results are public.

That is the difference. Everyone on this board knows coaching is a major component to winning and when CPS schools get coaches that are dedicated to their team they can win.

Go watch any CPS game and you'll find plenty of talent just running around aimlessly. I am not certain if McAlister is getting these kids in or if they are going there because they want to play for him.

I would think a CCL school would better serve these kids than a CPS (non-high performing) school due to the post-high school preparation.

While tuition is a component and I don't want to get off topic like the recently deleted Rice thread thread, the CCL schools have financial aid based on need. If a family needs aid they can get it.

I would think MC has trepidation on relying on Thomas at QB and may be working in another guy there. Thomas is a better DB than offensive player and missing a few games is not an issue there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT