ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

That fact that you are even comparing Fields to McMahon tells me all I need to know about your football knowledge. You're also just proving my point that you don't need an elite level QB to be successful.

And the Texans with Stroud also lost to Carolina, the worst team in the league. The Bears should win their next two games and possibly the last game against GB. That would give them 7 or 8 wins. That would be a great improvement from last year and right on par with where the Texans may finish. The rebuild is working and another successful offseason and the Bears are a playoff team next year.

I get sick of people like you who are ready to jump off the bridge with every loss. Where were you after the Minnesota and Detroit games that they won the two weeks prior? Why weren't you shouting from the rooftops how terrible Fields is then?
Who made you the resident football expert? You're just another fan in the Fields cult of people who make excuses for everything that has gone with him. First of all there is no guarantee the Bears will win any of their remaining games. I too think they should at least win 2 out of 3. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Obviously you haven't read my posts all along the way with Fields. I have always been a wait and see kind of guy. So I am sick of people like you who make assumptions about others without a shred of evidence. This is the first season in which I have written Fields should be replaced. Honestly, who cares about the Detroit and Minnesota games? The so-called comeback in the Minnesota game was a joke and that was the second worst game I saw this season. Two teams going nowhere.

Fields wasn't this huge factor in those wins. He was 46 for 70 in those games. Completion % of 65. He threw one whole TD pass in those games. He threw for 217 yards in the first game and 233 in the other. His QB rating was around 87 for both games. His defense gave up 10 points in the first game and 13 in the other. If you're a QB whose D gives up 10 and 13 points in two games and you don't win both, you don't belong in the league. The idea that the Bears gave up 10 points and only won by 2 points says a lot about Fields and that offense.

Do some homework and look at what happens when the Bears give up more than 17 points in a game. They have lost all of them. In two games they gave up 20 points or less and still lost. The Bears have given up 329 points or around 23 a game. Not that bad. Ten teams have given up more. Those teams include Detroit and Philadelphia. The Lions are leading and will win the division and the Eagles have clinched a playoff spot. The Colts are another team and if the season ended today they would be the 7th seed in the AFC playoffs.

On the offensive side the Bears have scored 287 points. Not good. Ten teams have scored fewer and none of the ten would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. Only one of those teams has a .500 record and the Steelers are sitting at .500 and in danger of finishing below .500 for the first time under Mike Tomlin. Every other team, like the Bears, has a winning percentage below .500 . More on Fields in the next post...and it ain't good.

All I can say Bear wise is that not keeping JF1 and drafting MHJ closes this window and adds another 3 year development phase.

Anyone not thinking that the Bears are currently in a window severely over rates the rest of the league.

All you can hope for as a fan of a team is to get the majority of your starting 22 maturing into their career peaks at the same time. With Jaylon, Tev, Wright, Sweat, Moore, Kmet, Edmunds, Edwards, Billings, Stevenson trending to or at their peak years, starting over at QB scraps all the above.

Find an OC that can use Fields’ size and strengths to develop a dependable offense with or wait another 3-4 years getting the majority of the team’s individual pieces trending in the right direction when their new QB can pay off. But that’s not with the names mentioned above, it’s 3 - 4 years of drafting correctly again, hitting on FAs and that’s not a guarantee obviously either.

Reactions: lweastdad
Since no one reads long posts, I broke it up in two.

NFL personnel trending at peaking are your SB contenders: BAL, BUF (once they got rid of their OC that was not playcalling Josh Allen’s game correctly, sound familiar?), SF, PHI, DAL, MIA, DET (who went the TB route and signed a veteran QB to maximize their majority of players peaking).

NFL teams trending down or near decent but not a threat due to a mish mash of peaks and valleys on their starting rosters : KC (I know always dangerous in with Mahomes but roster is cautionary at best), PIT, TEN, GB, MIN (tho Flores D is growing on me, crazy packages but lost QB), TB (is Baker growing on me? Surprise domination on the road this past Sunday), CIN (lost QB), NE.

All former NFL playoff plug and plays which has brought me to the realization that the best GMs understand the wave of personnel, maximize that wave, protect their roster post crest and redo quickly from a higher launch point to be one of those teams that seem to contend yearly.

OK let's continue with our assessment of Fields shall we? Taken from the Tribune with my own comments. Sunday registered his 13th one score loss in three seasons starting and the Bears were outscored 13-0 in the 4th quarter. They had five possessions that ended in the 4th quarter and the results are as follows: turnover on downs, three-and-out, punt, three-and-out, Hail Mary interception. Their last two possessions came with the opportunity for a go-ahead or game-tying score. Fields went 2 for 7 passing for 33 yards on those drives and put up no points. Let's also remember their only offensive TD was a whopping one yard drive in which they had to snap the ball six times to get into the damned end zone.

Fields 4th quarter passer rating is now, wait for it, 55.3 this season and is just 62.4 for his career. That doesn't sound like an improvement. In the final 8 minutes of games over the past seasons, Fields has had opportunities to lead the Bears to a game-tying or go-ahead score on 23 possessions but succeeded just three times.

"Overall he has thrown 10 fourth-quarter TD passes while committing 18 fourth-quarter turnovers." I don't know how much NFL football you watch. But "a lot of games are going to be close deep into the 4th quarter and the teams that have productive QBs who excel in the late stages of tight games are the ones that enjoy sustained success."

"The Bears, however, have been on the wrong side of that equation far too frequently are were outclassed Sunday by a 38-year-old QB playing behind a patched-together offensive line, and with a middle-tier core of offensive playmakers. That made Sundays loss sting more."

If you put everything else aside, this alone is enough to get rid of Fields and may be the thing that sinks him here. He simply isn't getting it done in clutch time. I don't see where that is going to change. I honestly wish I didn't have to say this and I wish Fields was a success because it would eliminate the need to draft yet another QB in the 1st round. But I will once again say, the Bears will not win anything of significance with Justin Fields as their QB. The end.

All I can say Bear wise is that not keeping JF1 and drafting MHJ closes this window and adds another 3 year development phase.
I have to strongly disagree here. Brock Purdy developed almost immediately. CJ Stroud has developed very quickly as well. Talent-wise I don't see where Stroud's offense is that much better, if any better than Fields' offense. Nope, it is coming down to Fields not getting the job done especially at crunch time.

Stroud's QB rating is 98.7, he has thrown for 3631 yards in 13 games. He has thrown 20 TDs and has only been intercepted 5 times. BUT, the biggest thing I see with him is that he knows how to finish and win a game. Fields doesn't and that is a huge problem.

Are Stroud's receivers that much better than Fields'? I don't think so. Fields either can't do the job or is an example of poor coaching. The only way we'll know the answer to the second statement is if Fields moves on to another organization.

Since no one reads long posts, I broke it up in two.

NFL personnel trending at peaking are your SB contenders: BAL, BUF (once they got rid of their OC that was not playcalling Josh Allen’s game correctly, sound familiar?), SF, PHI, DAL, MIA, DET (who went the TB route and signed a veteran QB to maximize their majority of players peaking).

NFL teams trending down or near decent but not a threat due to a mish mash of peaks and valleys on their starting rosters : KC (I know always dangerous in with Mahomes but roster is cautionary at best), PIT, TEN, GB, MIN (tho Flores D is growing on me, crazy packages but lost QB), TB (is Baker growing on me? Surprise domination on the road this past Sunday), CIN (lost QB), NE.

All former NFL playoff plug and plays which has brought me to the realization that the best GMs understand the wave of personnel, maximize that wave, protect their roster post crest and redo quickly from a higher launch point to be one of those teams that seem to contend yearly.
Talk about a word salad.

I have to strongly disagree here. Brock Purdy developed almost immediately. CJ Stroud has developed very quickly as well. Talent-wise I don't see where Stroud's offense is that much better, if any better than Fields' offense. Nope, it is coming down to Fields not getting the job done especially at crunch time.

Stroud's QB rating is 98.7, he has thrown for 3631 yards in 13 games. He has thrown 20 TDs and has only been intercepted 5 times. BUT, the biggest thing I see with him is that he knows how to finish and win a game. Fields doesn't and that is a huge problem.

Are Stroud's receivers that much better than Fields'? I don't think so. Fields either can't do the job or is an example of poor coaching. The only way we'll know the answer to the second statement is if Fields moves on to another organization.
HOU is not a contender. Are they better than last year? Yes. So are the Bears. Did he lose 2 of 3 before becoming injured with a half a season on film for opposing coaches? How’s the QB drafted ahead of him doing? Was it a coin flip to get the QB that developed faster? The rear view mirror is undefeated.

Purdy is being developed by Shanahan with a peaking, cresting roster. A pretty good situation for most QBs. From that 2012 WAS Mike Shanahan tree, you have Shanahan the kid, McVay, McDaniel, LaFleur and former Bear LB Coach Slowik whose son is currently the HOU OC.

So if you get Harbaugh or Slowik or Monken or Johnson from DET, I could trust them to develop a QB on a quicker schedule. Then you have to pick the correct QB.

As was just mentioned Purdy has Shannahan coaching him, that gives any QB a leg up. You love Stroud but 13 games is a pretty small sample size to say how he's developed. What if he comes back next year and levels off or regresses?

You spit out a lot of numbers and failures, but why does all of that fall on Fields? Cleveland, Detroit, and Denver were 3 losses that were fully on the coaching staff. Winning close games takes everyone and you're pinning all of it on one player and one player only. The Chargers have had the most one possession losses since 2021 and they finally fired their HC and GM, largely due to not being able to win close games. The blowout against Vegas was just the final straw. So using your logic all of those losses are Herbert's fault. I guess he's a terrible QB as well.

Did you ever think that Fields hasn't been as successful as you think he should be because of the coaches? Getsy still thinks he's calling games for Rodgers and not catering to Fields strengths and when a play works once he falls in love with it and keeps calling it. It's obvious that much of Getsy's ineptness was covered up by Rodgers.

Ok but you mentioned two QBs. Purdy has maybe the best collection around him.

I have always contended that you build the roster from the inside out.

the question in short that everyone wants to know the answe to is ”Is it Fields or the coaching “

answ that question and you’ll have you keep fields or not answer

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup and 4Afan
I have always contended that you build the roster from the inside out.

the question in short that everyone wants to know the answe to is ”Is is Fields or the coaching “

answ that question and you’ll have you keep fields or not answer
You need to add…”is draft pick X going to be better?” History says probably not.

Reactions: 4Afan and lweastdad
Ok but you mentioned two QBs. Purdy has maybe the best collection around him.
It amazes me how no one here wants to give Brock Purdy himself ANY credit for the team's success. The guy was the last guy picked in the draft and he is better than our number one pick. I mentioned two QBs because those guys have less NFL playing time than Fields but are far ahead of him. And, by the way, Purdy is one of the leading candidates for the league MVP. And even if he wins the MVP there will always be guys like you looking for any chinks in the armor.

Reactions: Irishfan90
As was just mentioned Purdy has Shannahan coaching him, that gives any QB a leg up. You love Stroud but 13 games is a pretty small sample size to say how he's developed. What if he comes back next year and levels off or regresses?

You spit out a lot of numbers and failures, but why does all of that fall on Fields? Cleveland, Detroit, and Denver were 3 losses that were fully on the coaching staff. Winning close games takes everyone and you're pinning all of it on one player and one player only. The Chargers have had the most one possession losses since 2021 and they finally fired their HC and GM, largely due to not being able to win close games. The blowout against Vegas was just the final straw. So using your logic all of those losses are Herbert's fault. I guess he's a terrible QB as well.

Did you ever think that Fields hasn't been as successful as you think he should be because of the coaches? Getsy still thinks he's calling games for Rodgers and not catering to Fields strengths and when a play works once he falls in love with it and keeps calling it. It's obvious that much of Getsy's ineptness was covered up by Rodgers.
Let's address things one at a time. Yes, Stroud does have a smaller sample size. My point there was he is way ahead of Fields at this point. No one can predict the future.

I gave you numbers that can't be refuted. Those are his numbers and that is how QBs are mostly judged. A guy could be a great guy and Trubisky was. But sooner or later he has to produce good numbers quite consistently to win games and stay in the league. I don't care what the Chargers are doing.

Until Fields becomes successful under the current coaches or other coaches I will continue to put this mostly on him. He is on his second HC and OC and he isn't any better. Well, maybe is, somewhat. STOP making excuses for the guy and pull yourself out of the Fields cult.

So, let's do this. If for some reason the Bears keep Fields and he turns it around and becomes the QB the Bears expected and wins games and wins things of significance, I will be the very first one to come here and say I was wrong. I don't have this big ego and I can admit being wrong unlike 85-90% of the posters here.

But, if Fields does turn out to be a bust you had better damned well come here and admit you were wrong too. Otherwise we don't need to have any further conversations from there.

It amazes me how no one here wants to give Brock Purdy himself ANY credit for the team's success. The guy was the last guy picked in the draft and he is better than our number one pick. I mentioned two QBs because those guys have less NFL playing time than Fields but are far ahead of him. And, by the way, Purdy is one of the leading candidates for the league MVP. And even if he wins the MVP there will always be guys like you looking for any chinks in the armor.
No doubt what he’s done so far is amazing being where he was drafted.
What I said is true though. there is no refuting that he has arguably the best supporting cast around him and I didn’t even mention a top 5 offensive minded coach.

Never pointed out any “chinks” only stated facts about what’s around him.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor_d and 4Afan
No doubt what he’s done so far is amazing being where he was drafted.
What I said is true though. there is no refuting that he has arguably the best supporting cast around him and I didn’t even mention a top 5 offensive minded coach.

Never pointed out any “chinks” only stated facts about what’s around him.
I think you have to keep the Purdy thing in proper context. Earlier this season when he had his starting LT out, Samuel hurt and a dinged up McCaffery, SF lost 3 straight.

Now, behind the best O line in football with the best running back, a top 5 tight end and two top 10-15 Wr plus a coach that has been to a Super Bowl with Jimmy G at QB, Purdy is an MVP candidate.

Keeping this very much in perspective, the Niners have asked Purdy to do what he does well. That is being a semi-mobile QB in a rhythmic passing game very similar to what he did at Iowa State.

I think many teams offensive coaches and OC’s want their players to do what they want in their system instead of utilizing the skill set you’ve got. Sf has done a great job of that with Purdy. Chicago has done a very poor job of that with Fields.

I think you have to keep the Purdy thing in proper context. Earlier this season when he had his starting LT out, Samuel hurt and a dinged up McCaffery, SF lost 3 straight.

Now, behind the best O line in football with the best running back, a top 5 tight end and two top 10-15 Wr plus a coach that has been to a Super Bowl with Jimmy G at QB, Purdy is an MVP candidate.

Keeping this very much in perspective, the Niners have asked Purdy to do what he does well. That is being a semi-mobile QB in a rhythmic passing game very similar to what he did at Iowa State.

I think many teams offensive coaches and OC’s want their players to do what they want in their system instead of utilizing the skill set you’ve got. Sf has done a great job of that with Purdy. Chicago has done a very poor job of that with Fields.
+1

Reactions: 4Afan

Yup

As far as Purdy goes. He must be good because SF got rid of a Veteran QB in Garoppolo ( he was probably gone anyway) and their first round draft pick Trey Lance who was the 3rd pick of the 2021 draft. Purdy hit the ground running and I didn't say all that much about him last year because it was a smaller sample size.

We can talk all day about the physical talents of a QB and an offense designed around a QB. But I see something in Purdy that Fields doesn't have and that is a feel for the position. I said before Fields still doesn't see guys who are open. That really hasn't improved. I think he panics back there at times. And he still holds onto the ball instead of getting rid of it when he should.

I forgot to mention this before. But I read something a while ago that said maybe Fields isn't producing at the NFL level because at Ohio State he had so much talent around him that he didn't need to take the team on his shoulders and win games. I don't know if that's true or not because I only watched Fields at OSU a very small handful of times.

All I know at this point is that Fields isn't a very good NFL QB and the evidence of the numbers shows it. You can give me any excuse you want. But he isn't producing what a 1st round draft pick should be producing at this stage.

Come on man. Couldn't you say that about every NFL team and virtually every NFL QB? You take any team's LT, league leading RB and arguably the best all around offensive player (Samuel) away from them and name me a team that will continue to win. You can do better than this because this isn't even a good argument. Name me the team in the entire league that can still win with guys like that out of the lineup and I'll listen.

Like others have said, no one is knocking Purdy, I love the guy and hope he wins MVP, but if you think his situation in SF is the same as Fields in Chicago you're clueless. Give Fields an all world ultra back, 2 top receivers, one of the best TE's in the game, a top 10 defense, and a coach who is a known QB guru who knows how to play to his QB's strengths and he'd be more successful too. Bears and 49ers both lost to the Browns by nearly identical scores and Purdy and Fields both only had one TD and Fields threw for more yards. Purdy also lost to the Vikings.
Yes, Stroud does have a smaller sample size. My point there was he is way ahead of Fields at this point.
So you watch a lot of Texans games? What went wrong in the Arizona game where he threw 3 picks? What has caused him to have 8 fumbles on the year? What caused such a great rookie to lose to Carolina or the Jets? Or are you just looking at box scores? Numbers don't tell the whole story. Yes, he has better rookie numbers but how did he get there? I feel like it's a safe bet that the coaches are calling games differently with him at QB versus David Mills last year.

But I see something in Purdy that Fields doesn't have and that is a feel for the position.

All I know at this point is that Fields isn't a very good NFL QB and the evidence of the numbers shows it.
How many whole 49ers games have you watched? Which is it, feel for the position or the numbers?

But he isn't producing what a 1st round draft pick should be producing at this stage.
Where's the guidebook that says every first round QB has to have the entire position figured out by year 3 when they're on their second coaching staff?

Couldn't you say that about every NFL team and virtually every NFL QB? You take any team's LT, league leading RB and arguably the best all around offensive player (Samuel) away from them and name me a team that will continue to win
So Purdy gets every ounce of credit when the team is healthy and they win but shoulders none of the blame when there's injuries and they lose? Using this logic Fields gets a pass for the revolving door of injuries on the OL this year and multiple RB injuries, right? I mentioned the Chargers failures to close out close games, even at a greater rate than the Bears and asked if they should move on from Herbert since they can't close out games, which according to you, falls on the QB and you dismissed that. Why? Why is it ok for you to make excuses for every other QB, but in your eyes all of the Bears failures rest solely on Fields?

You're problem is you're trying to evaluate all QB's as if their in a vacuum and operate the same systems. The best example I can give you is Mahomes. Everyone wants to kill themselves because the Bears passed on him, but had the Bears drafted him he would have made them better than Trubisky did but there's no way he would have been the same Mahomes and he wouldn't have led the Bears to two Super Bowls. You know why? Systems and coaches matter! You think some of his success may have something to do with Andy Reid?

Honestly, I'm not convinced Fields is the guy, but the only reason I'm defending him is because you're being hypocritical and blaming all of the Bears issues on one player, but when others have criticized different QB's you've mentioned you have no problem making excuses and defending them. All I'm saying is you could have dropped literally any QB from the 2021 draft class on the team and they would not have been successful given the Bears situation. Would they be more successful in year 3 with the Bears, we'll never know, but with as much of a giant cluster f*ck as the Bears have been to say it's all on Fields or thinking he was going to be the savior from day one is just asinine.

A lot of this is true, but not the o-line part. If you look up the stats/rankings/etc. that people put out, SF o-line is typically somewhere between #10 and #15. Doesn't mean they are bad, but not close to the best. I did see where Purdy has one of the top QB ratings when 'under pressure'. He's around 95, and most QB's are under 80.

Come on man. Couldn't you say that about every NFL team and virtually every NFL QB? You take any team's LT, league leading RB and arguably the best all around offensive player (Samuel) away from them and name me a team that will continue to win. You can do better than this because this isn't even a good argument. Name me the team in the entire league that can still win with guys like that out of the lineup and I'll listen.
Cleveland, last week, and the week before and the week before

Reactions: 4Afan
A lot of this is true, but not the o-line part. If you look up the stats/rankings/etc. that people put out, SF o-line is typically somewhere between #10 and #15. Doesn't mean they are bad, but not close to the best. I did see where Purdy has one of the top QB ratings when 'under pressure'. He's around 95, and most QB's are under 80.
Again Shanahan is a step above. Your stat tells me the play designs have accounted for OLine breakdowns, Purdy has been coached well on his hots and the other Niner ball handlers have been schooled well in diverting their original green space routes to their pressure/scramble green space spots.

But I don’t think anyone is taking anything from Purdy. The young man is doing phenomenal, just adding context to the MVP-odds-leader numbers he is putting up.

It’s the same reason I didn’t have much faith in GB OCs under Rodgers. If you watched Rodgers half of Rodgers to Adams yards were them on the same page in the face of pressure/scrambles. Hackett and Getsy so far have left much to be desired since not being bailed out by Rodgers. Now LaFleur has done a nice job getting Jordan Love up to a decent NFL QB but then again he was mentored by Shanahan so it doesn’t surprise me.

And speaking of OLine trends, it seems the days of the Ogdens and Munoz LTs are over. This past FA period had the best, youngest (26) LT to hit the market in a long time. A Super Bowl winner, Mahomes back side protector turned down a 9 figure extension 6/139, bet on himself, had a fine season and Orlando Brown Jr signed for 4/64 with the Bengals.

It seems to me that GMs are understanding no individual human can block a modern superstar edge so it’s better to scheme your way out of pressure than breaking the bank on trying to handle it with one player. When building an OLine it looks like GMs are going with a group of two position maulers at each spot and scheme instead of searching high and low for that bookend LT. Not saying it’s right or wrong, it just told me a lot that a top 5 LT in the prime of his career wasn’t heavily sought after. LTs usually come available at age 29, 30 but with Orlando turning down the massive extension, KC didn’t franchise him for the 2 years they could and let him hit the market early.

Not to get too distracted from the Bears sucking...

I think a lot of the Purdy criticism/hate/etc come from where he was drafted. Either because it blows people's minds, or some of the media types that make their salaries ranking players don't want to admit being wrong.

Change absolutely nothing about the results/stats, except have Roger Goodell say "with the 1st pick", instead of "with the last pick", and people would have a completely different narrative.

Maybe I just wasn't following as close, but I don't remember a lot of "but the talent around him" arguments when Mahomes won MVP playing with Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Travis Kelce.

There are very very very very
Not to get too distracted from the Bears sucking...

I think a lot of the Purdy criticism/hate/etc come from where he was drafted. Either because it blows people's minds, or some of the media types that make their salaries ranking players don't want to admit being wrong.

Change absolutely nothing about the results/stats, except have Roger Goodell say "with the 1st pick", instead of "with the last pick", and people would have a completely different narrative.

Maybe I just wasn't following as close, but I don't remember a lot of "but the talent around him" arguments when Mahomes won MVP playing with Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Travis Kelce.
I think it was known who Mahomes had around him. And look now…it’s not bad but it’s not the same. I will say Mahomes is one of the very few that really makes everyone around him better.

The Bears secondary is pretty nasty, I worry about Brisker injury risk how he plays but they 100% a legit group
Agreed. What's encouraging about that is Poles has devoted a lot of draft capital to that group, and he's hit on almost all of his additions. Now they need to sign Jaylon Johnson.

Reactions: RockSoup
The spin on things from Eberflus and Getsy in print and spoken word is just so maddening by this time in another failing season. Yet, they continue to find new ways to really say a big nothing. I seriously need a resolution to stop reading and listening to this in the New Year.

Reactions: 4Afan and RockSoup
The spin on things from Eberflus and Getsy in print and spoken word is just so maddening by this time in another failing season. Yet, they continue to find new ways to really say a big nothing. I seriously need a resolution to stop reading and listening to this in the New Year.
I think Flus Belichicks the local media in his own ‘Aw shucks’ kind of way because the way his defensive players talk about how he is behind closed doors and the great set ups, concepts, rotations etc. I see the Bears D do on gameday.

He will be such a great DC for some team.

Like others have said, no one is knocking Purdy, I love the guy and hope he wins MVP, but if you think his situation in SF is the same as Fields in Chicago you're clueless. Give Fields an all world ultra back, 2 top receivers, one of the best TE's in the game, a top 10 defense, and a coach who is a known QB guru who knows how to play to his QB's strengths and he'd be more successful too. Bears and 49ers both lost to the Browns by nearly identical scores and Purdy and Fields both only had one TD and Fields threw for more yards. Purdy also lost to the Vikings.

So you watch a lot of Texans games? What went wrong in the Arizona game where he threw 3 picks? What has caused him to have 8 fumbles on the year? What caused such a great rookie to lose to Carolina or the Jets? Or are you just looking at box scores? Numbers don't tell the whole story. Yes, he has better rookie numbers but how did he get there? I feel like it's a safe bet that the coaches are calling games differently with him at QB versus David Mills last year.

How many whole 49ers games have you watched? Which is it, feel for the position or the numbers?

Where's the guidebook that says every first round QB has to have the entire position figured out by year 3 when they're on their second coaching staff?

So Purdy gets every ounce of credit when the team is healthy and they win but shoulders none of the blame when there's injuries and they lose? Using this logic Fields gets a pass for the revolving door of injuries on the OL this year and multiple RB injuries, right? I mentioned the Chargers failures to close out close games, even at a greater rate than the Bears and asked if they should move on from Herbert since they can't close out games, which according to you, falls on the QB and you dismissed that. Why? Why is it ok for you to make excuses for every other QB, but in your eyes all of the Bears failures rest solely on Fields?

You're problem is you're trying to evaluate all QB's as if their in a vacuum and operate the same systems. The best example I can give you is Mahomes. Everyone wants to kill themselves because the Bears passed on him, but had the Bears drafted him he would have made them better than Trubisky did but there's no way he would have been the same Mahomes and he wouldn't have led the Bears to two Super Bowls. You know why? Systems and coaches matter! You think some of his success may have something to do with Andy Reid?

Honestly, I'm not convinced Fields is the guy, but the only reason I'm defending him is because you're being hypocritical and blaming all of the Bears issues on one player, but when others have criticized different QB's you've mentioned you have no problem making excuses and defending them. All I'm saying is you could have dropped literally any QB from the 2021 draft class on the team and they would not have been successful given the Bears situation. Would they be more successful in year 3 with the Bears, we'll never know, but with as much of a giant cluster f*ck as the Bears have been to say it's all on Fields or thinking he was going to be the savior from day one is just asinine.
It amazes me how you don't actually read posts you respond to, then make general comments. I have the ability to see other games outside the Bears games so yes my opinion is based mostly on sight. If I can't catch a game live the NFL channel does show replays of several games and my DVR heats up. Show me where I said Purdy has the same situation ad Fields then we'll talk.

Also show me where I am blaming all the Bears' woes on Fields. I have never written anywhere that he is the only problem. But, he's the front man and with that job comes most of the exposure, responsibility and criticism...fair or not.

Like I said before, I will admit I am wrong about Fields if he does in fact blossom into a very good QB. You just need to admit you were wrong if he doesn't. Of course I don't expect you to admit being wrong about anything if you're like 85-90% of the posters here.

I happened to see some more numbers today on Fields I was unaware of. This year when Fields is trailing with four minutes or less to play in the 4th quarter his passer rating is 22.1 YIKES!! And he's last among the 26 QBs who have thrown at least 20 passes in the situation.

Again, it's not just the numbers. It's his inability to come through in the clutch. That is a massive problem.

In case no one has ever told you. Professional sports are first based on wins and losses. That is the first metric. Under that are numbered results. Por sports are a results-driven profession. You can give me all the reasons why you think Fields is playing so poorly. But, he is still playing poorly and the results lead to the numbers that show it. Those can't be ignored.

So, with all that said I am going to make a prediction about the Bears game this week. But before I do I want to give you a heads up and I am hoping you're sitting down. I want to preface the prediction and I will use the famous words Edward Van Sloan spoke over ninety years ago when he said..."I think it will thrill you. It may shock you. It might even horrify you. So, if any of you feel that you do not care to subject your nerves to such a strain, now is your chance to...well we warned you." 😄

The prediction is as follows. I am picking the Bears to win on Sunday. But I must admit. I am not at all comfortable with that pick.

Cleveland, last week, and the week before and the week before
So, you're comparing the situation in Cleveland to the situation in SF? Same caliber of players you're saying are and were out in both places? No way.

Oh wait! So then you're saying it came down to the QB? Well what do you know? One QB in the CHI, CLE game knew how to win and the other didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT