ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

I watch more college football than one man should so I've given the QB's the eye test and honestly JJ would be at the lower end of the list. He's good, not great, and hasn't really ever had to go out and win a game. Maye is the most pro ready based on the system UNC runs. Penix has the most talent in my opinion but injury history is a concern. Williams is a smaller Fields.

Many of those sacks are on Fields for either holding onto the ball too long or not being able to read the defense. The Bears aren't likely to draft OL depth, they will address that in free agency.

Wright and Jones at tackles and Borom and Jenkins at guards is a good line, they just need to find a center and be healthy.

The LB's have been with the Bears for 8 games, I wish I had your scouting ability to know they stink already. Eberflus has done them no favors with his basic play calling.

Ah yes, if they had drafter Carter all their D line problems would be solved. He wouldn't have been the same guy on the Bears. As I previously mentioned he would have been far and away the best DL on the team and thus would have been double teamed the majority of the time. Philly already had a great DL so teams can't afford to double him. Why is it your willing to let the DL play and grow but not the OL?

I just think you make no sense. We will have to agree to disagree.

Is Poles trying to get fired? Why is he trading a 2nd round pick again when the team is rebuilding? He got a 27 year old player that has never had double digit sacks while playing on a pretty good line. The Claypool trade was awful but at least he was under contract for another year. Sweat is a free agent at the end of the season. If you were going for a Washington edge then why not Chase Young? He has been a bust but injuries have played a part and he has a higher potential ceiling.

Reactions: ClownBaby and pjjp
Is Poles trying to get fired? Why is he trading a 2nd round pick again when the team is rebuilding? He got a 27 year old player that has never had double digit sacks while playing on a pretty good line. The Claypool trade was awful but at least he was under contract for another year. Sweat is a free agent at the end of the season. If you were going for a Washington edge then why not Chase Young? He has been a bust but injuries have played a part and he has a higher potential ceiling.
I see this trade as part of the rebuild. Bears will either extend or franchise tag Sweat, he's not just a rental. His career numbers are better Chase's and the fact that Chase is injury prone which is what the Bears absolutely don't need.

You mention that he's 27 like he's ready to retire. If the Bears give him a 4 or 5 year deal he would still be 32 or 33.

First trade Poles made that I agree with. Sweat is hopefully a long term piece. I still think our FO is complete trash.

Young will be out of the NFL in 2 years with his injuries. Sweat is a solid pick up for a 2 IMO. Much better than Claypool.

What dl at the edge would you have liked for him to draft or sign this offseason? It’s a bad draft for DL and free agency is worse. If they extend this guy this is brilliant move.

Would you rather spend a draft pick on a guy with two bad knees who hasn’t been able to play a full season?

Don't people know the average NFL player lasts 6 years in the NFL and Sweats has been used for 5 years.

The car dealer just ripped you off again. Don't trade away your draft picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: corey90
Don't people know the average NFL player lasts 6 years in the NFL and Sweats has been used for 5 years.

Why do you care if they trade away draft picks? You have complained about everyone they've drafted.

Sweat is not an average player, so your argument basically goes out the window there. What player were you targeting around pick 35?

Who in the draft or free agency was going to be a better option? And if they sign him to a 3-4 year deal?

I love it when people are critical of a deal but have no plan or suggestion as to what they think should’ve been done.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I would have targeted Brian Burns in free agency or Latu from UCLA or Verse from FSU in the draft. Hopefully it will work out with Sweat.

Reactions: 4Afan
The Bears fired running backs coach David Walker. The team’s human resources department previously “reprimanded” the 53-year-old regarding his workplace behavior, according to ESPN, which reported a second instance prompted Walker getting fired.

I would have targeted Brian Burns in free agency or Latu from UCLA or Verse from FSU in the draft. Hopefully it will work out with Sweat.
I STILL would!! Bears have plenty of cap space to try and snag both. Then we can focus on the OL via draft.

The Bears fired running backs coach David Walker. The team’s human resources department previously “reprimanded” the 53-year-old regarding his workplace behavior, according to ESPN, which reported a second instance prompted Walker getting fired.
2nd coach to get booted due to HR issues this year, should be a serious red flag. Ownership should strongly consider dumping the Coach and GM immediately there were most likely red flags that were missed and you have to question their judgement.

Reactions: stl705
2nd coach to get booted due to HR issues this year, should be a serious red flag. Ownership should strongly consider dumping the Coach and GM immediately there were most likely red flags that were missed and you have to question their judgement.
While I tend to agree with you, this would have to come from Kevin Warren, the new President. Do you really think anyone in the McCaskey family even knows which way is up with this organization?

While I tend to agree with you, this would have to come from Kevin Warren, the new President. Do you really think anyone in the McCaskey family even knows which way is up with this organization?
Solid point

He has no ties to the GM or coach since he was hired after them. Shouldn’t be a difficult decision.

It amazes me how quickly some of you want to just fire people! Right now!! Let's just fire everyone in the whole organization! Even the locker room attendants!!

I must say, however. I wonder what the "work place behavior was." Not all red flags are as easy to catch as some of you might think.

I get it but why did they trade Kaliel Mack? Is this guy better than Mack was/is, I know he is younger but certainly hasn’t put up the numbers. I guess I’ve soured on the moves Poles has made because so far none of them have made the team better. I know it’s a rebuild but how long do Bears fans have to wait for the rebuild? I guess we’re going to find out. It’s kinda embarrassing wearing my Bears hat because they are so bad. 😂

"rebuild" implies they were built...

One winning season in the last 11 years. The seniors currently playing in the IHSA playoffs were born the same year as the last time the Bears had back-to-back winning seasons.

I get it but why did they trade Kaliel Mack? Is this guy better than Mack was/is, I know he is younger but certainly hasn’t put up the numbers. I guess I’ve soured on the moves Poles has made because so far none of them have made the team better. I know it’s a rebuild but how long do Bears fans have to wait for the rebuild? I guess we’re going to find out. It’s kinda embarrassing wearing my Bears hat because they are so bad. 😂
This guy is both better and younger than Mack has been for about 3 years now. It was a good trade IF Bears can get the guy locked down on an extension.

With the state of the Bears at the time Mack wasn't going to be part of their longterm plan, ie. they wouldn't have been good by the time his contract was up. I like the move because they traded Mack when his value was the highest.

It's still too early to say none of Poles' moves have panned out because it's been one full season at most. The return he got for the #1 pick last year was great and I like the pick of Wright to start rebuilding the OL. Other than that they have been killed by injuries this year. I don't think they've played one game on either side of the ball with the team he's built.

I know everyone wants to win now and I completely get that, but why does everyone think a rebuild happens overnight? This is AT LEAST a 3 year project. For once, they're doing it the right way and building through the draft and even though they had the most cap space last year and again this year they aren't just throwing money around for the sake of spending. If it's a weak free agent class at a certain position then Poles is patient and waits until the following year's draft rather than paying the best available player at a given position a bloated contract just to say he signed someone.

With the state of the Bears at the time Mack wasn't going to be part of their longterm plan, ie. they wouldn't have been good by the time his contract was up. I like the move because they traded Mack when his value was the highest.

It's still too early to say none of Poles' moves have panned out because it's been one full season at most. The return he got for the #1 pick last year was great and I like the pick of Wright to start rebuilding the OL. Other than that they have been killed by injuries this year. I don't think they've played one game on either side of the ball with the team he's built.

I know everyone wants to win now and I completely get that, but why does everyone think a rebuild happens overnight? This is AT LEAST a 3 year project. For once, they're doing it the right way and building through the draft and even though they had the most cap space last year and again this year they aren't just throwing money around for the sake of spending. If it's a weak free agent class at a certain position then Poles is patient and waits until the following year's draft rather than paying the best available player at a given position a bloated contract just to say he signed someone.
I think all Bears fans have been more than patient. I am willing to give him 1 more year and if we suck again next year then he has to go. If you don’t draft impact players you won’t get better. Average draft picks equals average play. We can’t have a team of average players and improve. Name 1 impact player on our team.

I think all Bears fans have been more than patient. I am willing to give him 1 more year and if we suck again next year then he has to go. If you don’t draft impact players you won’t get better. Average draft picks equals average play. We can’t have a team of average players and improve. Name 1 impact player on our team.
Bears fans have been patient with the current regime? Absolutely not.

Not all impact players are big name skill position players. Wright is an impact player, so are Brisker and Gordon in the secondary, when healthy, Robinson the RB, again when healthy will be really good. The LB's they signed will be good when they get a DL in front of them that can absorb the blocks so they can make plays. That will start when they actually hire a defensive coordinator.

If you're that impatient and they bring someone new in then you're just starting this whole process all over again. You're setting yourself up for failure with unrealistic expectations and thinking that everyone they draft is going to be great their rookie year when that is seldom the case. The vast majority of draft picks need time to adjust to the speed of the NFL.

In this upcoming draft their top pick needs to be Harrison Jr., then if Fields is your guy at QB then they draft the OL from Penn St. with their second top 10 pick. If Fields is not the guy then they trade back for more picks and take Penix as their next QB and either sign Fields to a reasonable extension while Penix develops or bring in a veteran QB on a 2-3 year deal.

Bears fans have been patient with the current regime? Absolutely not.

Not all impact players are big name skill position players. Wright is an impact player, so are Brisker and Gordon in the secondary, when healthy, Robinson the RB, again when healthy will be really good. The LB's they signed will be good when they get a DL in front of them that can absorb the blocks so they can make plays. That will start when they actually hire a defensive coordinator.

If you're that impatient and they bring someone new in then you're just starting this whole process all over again. You're setting yourself up for failure with unrealistic expectations and thinking that everyone they draft is going to be great their rookie year when that is seldom the case. The vast majority of draft picks need time to adjust to the speed of the NFL.

In this upcoming draft their top pick needs to be Harrison Jr., then if Fields is your guy at QB then they draft the OL from Penn St. with their second top 10 pick. If Fields is not the guy then they trade back for more picks and take Penix as their next QB and either sign Fields to a reasonable extension while Penix develops or bring in a veteran QB on a 2-3 year deal.
We can agree to disagree. None of the guys you mentioned are impact players. I consider them role players. Justin Fields doesn’t seem to be the guy so to speak. How do you trade down to get Penix? I don’t see him dropping in the draft? I agree on Marvin Harrison. He might the first impact player. Get the OL guy from Penn. Who else? IMO We have a ton of average players on the Bears. What other impact players are we going to get? DL?

We can agree to disagree. None of the guys you mentioned are impact players. I consider them role players. Justin Fields doesn’t seem to be the guy so to speak. How do you trade down to get Penix? I don’t see him dropping in the draft? I agree on Marvin Harrison. He might the first impact player. Get the OL guy from Penn. Who else? IMO We have a ton of average players on the Bears. What other impact players are we going to get? DL?
So you think an impact player has to be a big name skill position player and nothing else? The LB's they signed were both top 10 in the league. Robinson the RB is a rookie and just coming back from injury, but I think he'll be really good paired with Herbert in the backfield. As I previously mentioned, you can't expect players to be "impact" players from the moment they walk in the door, if so you have unrealistic expectation.

Penix will likely go mid to late first round so if they get Harrison with, say the 2nd pick, and their next pick is something like 3-5 then trade back to 15-18 and get a haul for whichever team wants to trade up for Maye. They just traded for an impact player in Sweat.

If you're not sold on Fields and they get Harrison and Penix, they would likely get back the 2nd round pick they traded for Sweat in whatever deal they make and with that they could take an interior DL. I like the one from Michigan, Jenkins.

That would give them the top WR, top OL, and top 5ish DL in the first two rounds.

I think if anything they get new coaches. Eberflus is not an NFL head coach. Regardless of who their QB is they need an offensive minded head coach and a more aggressive defensive coordinator.

So you think an impact player has to be a big name skill position player and nothing else? The LB's they signed were both top 10 in the league. Robinson the RB is a rookie and just coming back from injury, but I think he'll be really good paired with Herbert in the backfield. As I previously mentioned, you can't expect players to be "impact" players from the moment they walk in the door, if so you have unrealistic expectation.

Penix will likely go mid to late first round so if they get Harrison with, say the 2nd pick, and their next pick is something like 3-5 then trade back to 15-18 and get a haul for whichever team wants to trade up for Maye. They just traded for an impact player in Sweat.

If you're not sold on Fields and they get Harrison and Penix, they would likely get back the 2nd round pick they traded for Sweat in whatever deal they make and with that they could take an interior DL. I like the one from Michigan, Jenkins.

That would give them the top WR, top OL, and top 5ish DL in the first two rounds.

I think if anything they get new coaches. Eberflus is not an NFL head coach. Regardless of who their QB is they need an offensive minded head coach and a more aggressive defensive coordinator.
Now you’re stretching. I never said it had to be a big name or skill position. It has to be a player that can make plays and impact the team. Brian Urlacher, Mike Singletary, Lance Briggs, Walter Payton etc I agree about the Coach and Defensive Coordinator.

Now you’re stretching. I never said it had to be a big name or skill position. It has to be a player that can make plays and impact the team. Brian Urlacher, Mike Singletary, Lance Briggs, Walter Payton etc I agree about the Coach and Defensive Coordinator.
🤣 🤣 🤣 "I never said it had to be a big name or skill position", then you proceed to list the names of some of the greatest players in franchise history. How about Braxton Jones? 5th round pick out of Southern Utah who was graded as one of the top tackles in the league last year, as a rookie. Again, not all "impact players" are going to be household names, especially on the OL and DL which is where the Bears need to start.

🤣 🤣 🤣 "I never said it had to be a big name or skill position", then you proceed to list the names of some of the greatest players in franchise history. How about Braxton Jones? 5th round pick out of Southern Utah who was graded as one of the top tackles in the league last year, as a rookie. Again, not all "impact players" are going to be household names, especially on the OL and DL which is where the Bears need to start.

“So you think an impact player has to be a big name skill position player and nothing else”

I mean you did just type the above.

“So you think an impact player has to be a big name skill position player and nothing else”

I mean you did just type the above.
We need an impact player. We have exactly zero on this team. You didn’t name one. Everyone you named were role players.
Clearly we are miles apart.

We need an impact player. We have exactly zero on this team. You didn’t name one. Everyone you named were role players.
Clearly we are miles apart.
Is DJ Moore an impact player? Is Fields? Is Jaylon Johnson? As I said, impact players don't have to be household names to be impactful and your expectations are insane. Using your logic the only impact players on the Chiefs would be Mahomes and Kelce and that's just short sighted.

You threw out Payton as an impact player, but what about one of his OL, Jimbo Covert? Is a HOFer simply a role player?

Is DJ Moore an impact player? Is Fields? Is Jaylon Johnson? As I said, impact players don't have to be household names to be impactful and your expectations are insane. Using your logic the only impact players on the Chiefs would be Mahomes and Kelce and that's just short sighted.

You threw out Payton as an impact player, but what about one of his OL, Jimbo Covert? Is a HOFer simply a role player?
Maybe impact is the wrong terminology. Game changer.. Look at all the other NFL teams. The really good teams have a few. DJ is our best player but I don’t know that he is a game changer? Maybe if we had a better QB who could get him the ball.

The bad part is we have seen improvement on defense particularly against the run - currently rated third in the league. Pass rush is a mess and secondary is improved but a long way to go. The offense is bad. Complete regression from last year. And how do you target DJ Moore twice in the second half - as many targets as Velus got.

And how do you target DJ Moore twice in the second half - as many targets as Velus got.
Because teams know he's their best, and sometimes only option so they put their best cover corner on him or double him with a safety over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT