ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

If you look back at my threads I said I would trade the house for Burrow a franchise QB? 2nd year in the NFL and he is playing in the SB. Just saying 🤣
For sure. Don’t see Justin Fields ever being at that level but needs some weapons. The bengals top 3 receivers are much better than anyone on the bears.

For sure. Don’t see Justin Fields ever being at that level but needs some weapons. The bengals top 3 receivers are much better than anyone on the bears.
I actually feel Fields will be good. Living in Columbus watching him at OSU the kid has talent just needs more time and more weapons. Add another OL player and we will see him get much better. Having a good QB coach will be a must.

Just going by the eye and hearing test along with noticing at Bear games you hear noises that no fan can make?

Does the noise level when they scan the fans actions at the stadium meet its perceived noise level?

Arrowhead - yes

Soldier Field -no

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I actually feel Fields will be good. Living in Columbus watching him at OSU the kid has talent just needs more time and more weapons. Add another OL player and we will see him get much better. Having a good QB coach will be a must.
We shall see. Craig Krenzel is still the most successful OSU qb in the nfl in the last 2 decades. All the rest have been great in college but flops in the pros. Krenzel was not supposed to be good in the pros and wasn’t but still won more than they others which is pretty sad.

Just going by the eye and hearing test along with noticing at Bear games you hear noises that no fan can make?

Does the noise level when they scan the fans actions at the stadium meet its perceived noise level?

Arrowhead - yes

Soldier Field -no
It's pretty serious as the bears could lose draft picks if you are right. That's why I asked for a source, not just an opinion.

It's pretty serious as the bears could lose draft picks if you are right. That's why I asked for a source, not just an opinion.

Same eye test I gave to Mahomes and Trubisky in college.

If the Bears wanted draft picks they need to stop trading up in the drafts.

Although Mahomes lost today and he had many chances to win the game today, I think the top QB's in today's game are Mahomes and the Bills Allen.

We shall see. Craig Krenzel is still the most successful OSU qb in the nfl in the last 2 decades. All the rest have been great in college but flops in the pros. Krenzel was not supposed to be good in the pros and wasn’t but still won more than they others which is pretty sad.
True but I don’t read to much into that since it’s more about the player and what they do on the field.

Although Mahomes lost today and he had many chances to win the game today, I think the top QB's in today's game are Mahomes and the Bills Allen.
Can’t argue you with those two guys but Burrow is right there just a little younger. He is the real deal and will only get better and better off n his career.

Reactions: Wassup13
Rams getting a home game for the Super Bowl if they win kind of does not sit well with me.

I guess the only way to get around this is having the Super Bowl in Detroit every year.

Reactions: NDSox
But didn't Burrow play in 10 games at Ohio State?😉

Can’t argue you with those two guys but Burrow is right there just a little younger. He is the real deal and will only get better and better off n his career.
Burrows and Allen are both 25 and Mahomes is 26.

and only for age comparisons sake since this is an Illinois board, Justin Fields is 22.

Last edited:
Don't you dare speak the name of craig krenzel again! Dang it...I just did it.

LTHS
I always enjoy your perspective and usually agree with you. What’s your thoughts on the Bears recent hires. Do you think they we’re the right hires or do you think they are hires to appease the fans. I don’t know a lot about any of the new coaches but I do know the Bears organization and how they seem to get it wrong almost all the time. I just watched the Brady series Man in the Arena. Talk about how far the Bears are off as an organization just watch this series. It’s night and day! The Bears ownership and organization truly are clueless. Love to hear your take.
A lot to unpack here Corey. For me it is all about trust. And the McCaskeys don't pass the trust test with me. I see the evidence in their record for decades and it isn't good.

I have trouble believing Ryan Poles hired Matt Eberflus on his own or even having the majority of the say. I think McCaskey and Phillips were too involved in the hiring of those two...AGAIN! I think the decision was pretty much already made. They are doing stuff the same way they always have and are expecting different results. Dumb. I mean, Poles gets hired and in less than 24 hours were comes Eberflus! What the hell? And I seriously doubt either of those guys will have the control they both deserve. That's a real problem, as you know.

I don't trust anything George McCaskey says, period. I mean really? They make a big deal he met Poles at the airport and gave him a ride to Halas Hall? Heaven help us.

It is impossible to say how either hire will do in their new jobs. But, to have a negative attitude about it is very understandable. We can only base our attitudes based on what we have seen for years, with the exception of Lovie Smith. I think Smith was a good coach. Not great, but good and much better than anyone else since Ditka. So, the McCaskeys swerved into that hire.

I would have been OK if the Bears had hired Brian Flores from Miami as HC. I thought he did a pretty good job in Miami considering the talent he had. I think the Bears have more talent and Miami went 9-8. Granted they didn't beat too many good teams, but they were in the playoff hunt till the end.

Like you, I would like to see someone with some experience for the HC job. Not just experience, but someone who showed some success given the talent he had. I was surprised by the Flores firing, to be honest.

I 100% disagree that they hire “yes men”. What coach didn’t do what he thought was needed to win? What coach didn’t speak up and ultimately cost himself a job cause he was a yes man? Ownership wants to win. They don’t get involved in football stuff. George said he was uncomfortable with the Fields question. Have they made bad hires, absolutely but I 100% disagree the lack of success is because of hiring yes men and guys that don’t “rock the boat”.
I disagree with some of this. I am not convinced ownership really wants to win. I can count on one hand any of the McCaskeys saying "we are committed to winning a championship." All I remember Mike McCaskey saying is "we want to be competitive every year." That means, good enough to be in the playoff hunt at the end so we won't see 20,000 no shows at Soldier Field in December.

You bring up an interesting point about no one in field management or GMs speaking ill of the organization. That has been talked about for years and some even speculated by contract, it is forbidden, even when they leave. I have no way of knowing if that is true. But, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I’ve never said if I think they will succeed or fail. I think it’s dumb to speculate, we have no idea. Anyone pretending to know is lying.

My point is the Bears are not alone by any means with the hires in terms of experience/age. And to say they did it to save money is just ridiculous to say. Ownership gets out of the way of the football stuff, for good reason. There is no “staying in line”, I’m not even sure what you are referring to?
I don't think speculation, in and of itself, is dumb. Turn on channel 264 or 266 and you'll see a whole lot of speculation going on! LOL. This is exactly what scouts do when they look at players. They have to.

Of course there is no way we can know for sure what the results will be from Poles and Eberflus. But, knowing the McCaskeys' track record. It is very understandable to be skeptical.

Reactions: Gene K.
A lot to unpack here Corey. For me it is all about trust. And the McCaskeys don't pass the trust test with me. I see the evidence in their record for decades and it isn't good.

I have trouble believing Ryan Poles hired Matt Eberflus on his own or even having the majority of the say. I think McCaskey and Phillips were too involved in the hiring of those two...AGAIN! I think the decision was pretty much already made. They are doing stuff the same way they always have and are expecting different results. Dumb. I mean, Poles gets hired and in less than 24 hours were comes Eberflus! What the hell? And I seriously doubt either of those guys will have the control they both deserve. That's a real problem, as you know.

I don't trust anything George McCaskey says, period. I mean really? They make a big deal he met Poles at the airport and gave him a ride to Halas Hall? Heaven help us.

It is impossible to say how either hire will do in their new jobs. But, to have a negative attitude about it is very understandable. We can only base our attitudes based on what we have seen for years, with the exception of Lovie Smith. I think Smith was a good coach. Not great, but good and much better than anyone else since Ditka. So, the McCaskeys swerved into that hire.

I would have been OK if the Bears had hired Brian Flores from Miami as HC. I thought he did a pretty good job in Miami considering the talent he had. I think the Bears have more talent and Miami went 9-8. Granted they didn't beat too many good teams, but they were in the playoff hunt till the end.

Like you, I would like to see someone with some experience for the HC job. Not just experience, but someone who showed some success given the talent he had. I was surprised by the Flores firing, to be honest.
As usual we seem to be on the same page. Ownership has not earned the fans trust. All anyone needs to do is look at their track record.
Flores makes sense as a hire since he had a winning record at Miami, who knows what he could do with more talent. Let’s hope the new GM and Coach can surprise us. The Bears ownership needs to have some dumb luck, heck it hasn’t gone their way since 1985 maybe they are due.

Last edited:
If you look back at my threads I said I would trade the house for Burrow a franchise QB? 2nd year in the NFL and he is playing in the SB. Just saying 🤣
Corey: I have been meaning to bring this up with you for a while now. Remember when we were talking about the Bears getting a QB right before Fields was drafted? I am not sure who brought it up, but someone mentioned Matthew Stafford. We had guys here saying no to that idea. But, as I recall, you and I were for it. We had guys here pointing to some of his play in Detroit to make their argument in not acquiring Stafford.

I remember looking at Stafford's career numbers and saying he is a very good QB on an awful team. I remember you saying he was a good QB too. I think we agreed all Stafford needed was a better supporting cast.

Well, it looks like he has that now and guess where he's headed. Yep, the Super Bowl. Even though I don't like the Lions, I have always liked Stafford. The guy is a very good QB and is finally getting his chance in the big game. So, how does Stafford look now?

Oh, and by the way. As bad as those Lions teams were during Stafford's career from 2009-2020, he was still 11-9 against the Bears. Enough said.

Last edited:
Corey: I have been meaning to bring this up with you for a while now. Remember when we were talking about the Bears getting a QB right before Fields was drafted? I am not sure who brought it up, but someone mentioned Matthew Stafford. We had guys here saying no to that idea. But, as I recall, you and I were for it. We had guys here pointing to some of his play in Detroit to make their argument in not acquiring Stafford.

I remember looking at Stafford's career numbers and saying he is a very good QB on an awful team. I remember you saying he was a good QB too. I think we agreed all Stafford needed was a better supporting cast.

Well, it looks like he has that now and guess where he's headed. Yep, the Super Bowl. Even though I don't like the Lions, I have always liked Stafford. The guy is a very good QB and is finally getting his chance in the big game. So, how does Stafford look now?

Oh, and by the way. As bad as those Lions teams were during Stafford's career from 2009-2020, he was still 11-9 against the Bears. Enough said.
Great post and yes we did agree about Stafford. It’s great to see him finally get the support he lacked in Detroit. I also like Burrow and he is in the SB in only his 2nd year. I have no dog in the fight so I am just hoping for a good game. Happy to see Cincinnati in it and happy to Stafford get the opportunity. This is good for the NFL.

Great post and yes we did agree about Stafford. It’s great to see him finally get the support he lacked in Detroit. I also like Burrow and he is in the SB in only his 2nd year. I have no dog in the fight so I am just hoping for a good game. Happy to see Cincinnati in it and happy to Stafford get the opportunity. This is good for the NFL.
Corey, I have said here I have a very close friend who is a season ticket holder for Chiefs games. Been a ticket holder for decades. He just sent me a text, minutes ago. He predicts Nagy will be the Chiefs OC next season. I sent him a four word text back that said, "they can have him."

He said rumor has it Bieniemy and Mahomes do not get along. As a matter of fact it is said they got into it at halftime of the AFC Championship game. Rumors are rumors, but I am going to keep an eye on that situation. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

In other news, the Bears signed a punter and long snapper. Super Bowl here we come!!! 😂 😂

If the Russians had known that Mike Ditka is a Ukranian, they never would have invaded. And the Klitschko Brothers, tough boxers who dominated the heavyweights for years, have joined in the defense of their country. The Ukrainians make me proud to share the planet with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: mchsalumni
Corey:

I just thought I'd let you know, there is an article in today's Sun Times by Patrick Finley that suggests Mitch Trubisky could be a hot starting QB free agent prospect this spring. There are several teams out there who don't have a starting QB at this time and this could open the door for him to compete for a starting job in a few places.

Trubisky didn't do well here but I liked the man himself and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere and does well. It will also expose, for the umpteenth time, the fraud the Bears management and organization is when it comes to developing and having good QB play.

Nagy came here as some sort of QB guru and couldn't do a damned thing with Trubisky, Foles, Dalton or Fields. But it was also Pace, et al.

So, Nagy gets the QBs coach job at KC and Pace and a few others get jobs in Atlanta. The Falcons won't win more than 7 games this year if those idiots have any say. But wait!! What if Pace does well down there. What if the Falcons do well and make the playoffs and the Bears suck again? Then what? More fraud accusations directed at the Bears organization? Stay tuned!

Reactions: corey90 and Gene K.
If the Russians had known that Mike Ditka is a Ukranian, they never would have invaded. And the Klitschko Brothers, tough boxers who dominated the heavyweights for years, have joined in the defense of their country. The Ukrainians make me proud to share the planet with them.
😂 😂 😂 regarding the Ditka comment. I wonder how much time Ditka has actually spent in Ukraine? Maybe years ago, "Iron Mike" could have stared them down.

But that situation is heartbreaking. I have a client who owns a business in Wheeling, who was born and raised in Kyiv along with her husband. They are middle-aged and came here to America when their daughter was 3 years old. I had a conversation with her on Monday and I will be visiting them next week. She told me is it crazy to see "her city" on TV taking the damage it's taking. She had a LOT more to say but I won't share her personal experiences or thoughts here.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT