ADVERTISEMENT

Bears Football Talk

I'll always take the wins. Nice to see Kmet get one today. Feel like off line loses too many battles. Giving me 2020 cubs vibes right now...win enough to make playoffs but you see writing on the wall and know won't make any real noise when it counts. Hope I'm wrong!

I'll always take the wins. Nice to see Kmet get one today. Feel like off line loses too many battles. Giving me 2020 cubs vibes right now...win enough to make playoffs but you see writing on the wall and know won't make any real noise when it counts. Hope I'm wrong!
That's my problem. Bad wins to accomplish what? Worse draft position? Even with good position though, I don't see Pace making the smart pick 80 percent of the time. Ugh. I hate being a bears fan haha

Reactions: sporthog9er

Yeah like the White Sox over confident talk crap then choke. 😂 Except we are all on the same side when it comes to the Bears.

Yeah like the White Sox over confident talk crap then choke. 😂 Except we are all on the same side when it comes to the Bears.
Any White Sox fans who was over confidence talking have no idea what they are doing....,now in a year or two? Maybe. 2020 team? Nope. At least not from me.

Reactions: RockSoup
I think the Cubs and Sox were basically even this year. The big difference is the Sox window is going up and the Cubs is basically closed.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Any White Sox fans who was over confidence talking have no idea what they are doing....,now in a year or two? Maybe. 2020 team? Nope. At least not from me.
Edgy, no one I saw on this board was overconfident in the Sox. I said I didn't think they had enough pitching. They aren't ready yet. I also said they needed to get rid of Renteria and Cooper if they were serious about winning a championship. They have done that. Now, I have become more excited.

Hopefully they will get a field manager and coaches who will teach some of these guys the right way to play the game. And hopefully this manager puts more emphasis on defense and running the bases properly. They need a guy who can make good in game decisions. As for the pitching coach...hopefully they will get a guy who knows what to do with in game decisions and how to protect arms along with a correct assessment of talent.

Reactions: EdgyTim
Reinsdorf is willing to spend big to bring home another trophy--at least one more before he dies. The Ricketts, by comparison, are the cheapest billionaires in town. They figure that Cub fans got their trophy, and that should be enough to satisfy them for another hundred years.

Reinsdorf is willing to spend big to bring home another trophy--at least one more before he dies. The Ricketts, by comparison, are the cheapest billionaires in town. They figure that Cub fans got their trophy, and that should be enough to satisfy them for another hundred years.

Agree with some of what said. It’s been awhile since the Sox have done anything and I do remember people calling Reinsdorf cheap.

Agree with some of what said. It’s been awhile since the Sox have done anything and I do remember people calling Reinsdorf cheap.
Let me be very clear. I do not like Reinsdorf and never have. I was one of the guys here calling him cheap. But there have been times when he spent money, and didn't spend it wisely. Albert Belle, anyone? With that said, I would never call him stupid. In a way, he's a genius. He locked up a lot of talent on this team and didn't pay anywhere near what the eventual price tag will be. He paid a reasonable price for Keuchel and it paid off, so far.

But the Sox need more pitching help. If they want to win in 2021 he will have to ante up for another solid starter. Maybe two if the prospects don't pan out right away. The next thing I will be happy to see is Carlos Rodon being shown the door. In my mind he has been the biggest disappointment and just can't stay healthy.

They'll sign a top line pitcher, however, I disagree with Belle, the reason the Sox weren't successful when Belle was here, wasn't because of him. But I will present you Jamie Navarro, he's the guy that makes Reinsdorf less likely to pull the trigger on pitchers, as well as, Danks.

Last edited:
Well, I must say, the Cubs are 3rd in MLB in payroll when it comes to cash spending. They are caught in a situation where they have several players commanding high salaries. Obviously the Heyward deal was awful. But, people and organizations make mistakes.

I have two close friends I have known since we went to first grade together. Friend one, absolutely hates the Ricketts family. He hates them personally because hates their "elite" status. But he is constantly ripping them for not spending more money on more quality players. I try to tell him they also mortgaged the farm system in search of a title. They got that title.

What the Ricketts family didn't realize, was the fans aren't like they thought. One title made their fans want more, especially with most of the talent staying. It wasn't like they said, "I can die now" like some Red Sox fans said. They want more and with the price of tickets being what they are, they should have that. But let's place some blame on the players and manager too OK?

Friend two bought four 81 game season tickets a couple years before the Cubs won the WS. Two near the Bartman seats and the other two in the first row in the bleachers in left. A side note. When Bryant hit that HR that went into the basket in left it was his son who got the ball and had it authenticated. I have held that baseball with the gold lettering. It was quite impressive.

Anyway, friend two sold his season tickets after the 2017 season. I saw him at his Father's funeral about a month ago and he told me he felt like he got in and out at the right time because he and his sons don't feel like the Cubs will win another. At least not for a while.

If they sign LaRussa there will be no world series. Not worth looking past the manager pick right now.

LaRussa's not my guy, but why do you think that?

Cora and Hinter? are the right guys for the Sox LaRussa has been out for a decade and the game has changed. He would be a horrible pick.

Plus I remember him with the Sox like 40 years ago and he was on training wheels trying to manage. He got so upset with the criticism from the announcers Harry Carey and Jimmy Piersall that he challenged Piersall to meet him in the clubhouse for a fight. Piersall showed up by himself. LaRussa showed up with 3 other coaches. What a coward this LaRussa guy is.

Last edited:
I can’t stand the guy either. I also think he’s the manager of the all steroid team and not a really good guy, but I also think he’d win and wouldn’t rule out him winning a WS. Id prefer a more likeable cheater or Alomar

Edgy, no one I saw on this board was overconfident in the Sox. I said I didn't think they had enough pitching. They aren't ready yet. I also said they needed to get rid of Renteria and Cooper if they were serious about winning a championship. They have done that. Now, I have become more excited.

Hopefully they will get a field manager and coaches who will teach some of these guys the right way to play the game. And hopefully this manager puts more emphasis on defense and running the bases properly. They need a guy who can make good in game decisions. As for the pitching coach...hopefully they will get a guy who knows what to do with in game decisions and how to protect arms along with a correct assessment of talent.

LTHS see below quote from Blue Ruin In January 2020 🥱

The Sox keep adding bats and arms, signing Steve Cishek from the Cubs in their latest move.

Let me be the first say it. This is a World Series team. Scoff and scorn all you like, but Hahn has assembled a dynasty.

I may have been overoptimistic. Or maybe the optimism was a year too early, but the signs of a dynasty are there. There's nothing wrong with being excited about your team, especially a team that is brimming with talent. I think we have a younger, more dynamic version of the South Side Hit Men.

Last edited:
I may have been overoptimistic. Or maybe the optimism was a year too early, but the signs of a dynasty are there. There's nothing wrong with being excited about your team, especially a team that is brimming with talent. I think we have a younger, more dynamic version of the South Side Hit Men.

Dynasty?
I rest my case.

I can’t stand the guy either. I also think he’s the manager of the all steroid team and not a really good guy, but I also think he’d win and wouldn’t rule out him winning a WS. Id prefer a more likeable cheater or Alomar
I'm a Cubs fan, but I like to root for the Sox whenever possible (I know, I know). I would like them to find a manager that isn't a "bad person" or a proven cheater as well. The only name I've seen thrown out there so far that I've liked is Bruce Bouchey.

I'm not against that, my point was they could win with LaRussa, I wouldn't rule that out indefinitely.

That's my problem. Bad wins to accomplish what? Worse draft position? Even with good position though, I don't see Pace making the smart pick 80 percent of the time. Ugh. I hate being a bears fan haha
I think bad wins accomplish a hell of a lot more than bad losses. Helps the winning percentage. :) I will go along with you on the perils of being a Bears fan...or any Chicago team fan for that matter. We are always waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it usually does.

As far as Nagy goes, I am starting to wonder, with his play calling, if he is the football version of Ricky Renteria. :oops:

LTHS see below quote from Blue Ruin In January 2020 🥱

The Sox keep adding bats and arms, signing Steve Cishek from the Cubs in their latest move.

Let me be the first say it. This is a World Series team. Scoff and scorn all you like, but Hahn has assembled a dynasty.
It's like I said Corey. I didn't see anyone here making those kinds of statements. To be clear, I don't agree with Blue Ruin. This isn't a World Series team until they play better defense, run the bases more intelligently and get more pitching.

Reactions: corey90
You bring up an interesting season. That 1977 Sox club could hit. I went to several games that summer. I thought they had a chance when they went 23-5 in July. They were 62-38 at that time. But, their pitching failed them in the end.

On August 1st they were in first place with a 4 1/2 game lead. That was a Monday. They had a three game series in KC that coming week end. By the end of Sunday's action, they had been swept and their lead was down to a half game. I remember that KC series and that was the turning point. From there they lost 28 games and ended up in third place. In 16 of the 28 losses the Sox scored 2 runs or less. KC took the lead on August 20th and never looked back. They got hot as hell.

The Sox simply stopped scoring runs and didn't have enough pitching. And that's what will happen with this team if they don't have enough.

I think you can get a good idea on where the current Sox team is by comparing them to the Dodgers or Rays. Those two teams belong in the WS.

I think you can get a good idea on where the current Sox team is by comparing them to the Dodgers or Rays. Those two teams belong in the WS.
I would agree with that statement. I have said before, the Sox aren't ready. Hopefully they will be soon.

I think their pitching will be much improved next season. They will add a front line starter and also add Kopech, as well as, the bullpen will be more seasoned. I believe they had 4 rookies in the pen and they all had nasty stuff. This team is well on its way.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
This isn't a World Series team until they play better defense, run the bases more intelligently and get more pitching.

They also need to play with more emotion, more fire and energy. They went flat at the end of the season and in the playoffs. That's on Ricky, a nice guy but no Ozzie in the locker room and dugout.

They also need to play with more emotion, more fire and energy. They went flat at the end of the season and in the playoffs. That's on Ricky, a nice guy but no Ozzie in the locker room and dugout.
Fans may help with "fire and the passion". I personally thought
they played with quite a bit of emotion all season long.

The Sox simply stopped scoring runs and didn't have enough pitching. And that's what will happen with this team if they don't have enough.

That Sox team ran into one of the best starting pitching staffs of all time on Baltimore - McGregor, Flanagan, Boddicker, Jim Palmer and Storm Davis. Dennis Martinez was also on that team.

They need to be more patient at the plate and get deep counts on the opposing pitchers.

They need to be more patient at the plate and get deep counts on the opposing pitchers.
I thought they were better at it this year, they did have two guys in the top 10 (Grandal and Moncada), but were slightly under league average. Robert is probably the guy that put us there.

Reactions: Wassup13
That Sox team ran into one of the best starting pitching staffs of all time on Baltimore - McGregor, Flanagan, Boddicker, Jim Palmer and Storm Davis. Dennis Martinez was also on that team.
I was talking about 1977 not 1983. The '77 team were the Southside Hit men. That 1977 team didn't win their division and I said so in my earlier post. The '83 team played the Orioles in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Fans may help with "fire and the passion". I personally thought
they played with quite a bit of emotion all season long.
But you need to remember. The "season" was only 60 games. Any team can play like that for two months. In looking at that team, the way they faded, I think it is safe to say if it had been 162 games they would have finished with a winning percentage of under 500.

The problem with most young baseball teams is that they get too high after wins and too low after losses. You can't do that and succeed. Baseball has the longest season and it's full of ups and downs. This Sox team hit a point where they were doing very well. Then reality set in and they folded. The true measure of any team during the long season is how they perform when things aren't going well and whether they can still win when they don't play their best.

Post season is a whole different animal. Everything progresses at a much higher level. Every pitch and at bat is important. Every baserunner is important. Every play to be made in the field is important. You can't go on a losing streak and survive. I love the pressure of the five game series. I don't think three games are enough. But I also don't think the Sox would have won a game 4 either.

But you need to remember. The "season" was only 60 games. Any team can play like that for two months. In looking at that team, the way they faded, I think it is safe to say if it had been 162 games they would have finished with a winning percentage of under 500.
I don't think that is safe to say at all. I expected them to struggle during a portion of the season, was just hoping it wouldn't be the end of the season, unfortunately it was. You can also argue through a full season, Robert likely becomes more consistent, Encarnacion begins to get less PT OR He gets hot for a stretch, probably let Dunning and Cease settle into the rotation, likely make a trade at the deadline to bring in needed help, Madrigal plays better defense, Moncada gets stronger with time (after COVID) and that Eloy, Anderson, Moncada and Robert will all be healthy at the same time.

Reactions: PowerI66
The problem with most young baseball teams is that they get too high after wins and too low after losses. You can't do that and succeed. Baseball has the longest season and it's full of ups and downs. This Sox team hit a point where they were doing very well. Then reality set in and they folded. The true measure of any team during the long season is how they perform when things aren't going well and whether they can still win when they don't play their best.

Post season is a whole different animal. Everything progresses at a much higher level. Every pitch and at bat is important. Every baserunner is important. Every play to be made in the field is important. You can't go on a losing streak and survive. I love the pressure of the five game series. I don't think three games are enough. But I also don't think the Sox would have won a game 4 either.
They had a chance to win every one of those game in the last AB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT