ADVERTISEMENT

89 Blocks - East St Louis

They really went after Jeff Thomas. Made him out to be quite the bad student and teammate

Pretty sure those of us who follow East side more closely than others would not feel that it was as eye opening as others.

Either way I feel like it would’ve been better if they made it a season. You just couldn’t get to know the players and staff well enough to make a good connection. Glad to see ESL get some publicity, but I just didn’t love it.

I was impressed. I think it confirms what a lot of us know what these kids go through every day. There’s far more to Football for these kids. If you wake up and can make it through a full day that’s a good day.

Puts a lot into perspective.

Pretty sure those of us who follow East side more closely than others would not feel that it was as eye opening as others.

Either way I feel like it would’ve been better if they made it a season. You just couldn’t get to know the players and staff well enough to make a good connection. Glad to see ESL get some publicity, but I just didn’t love it.

That's kinda how I felt about it. It wasn't personal enough. I was also disappointed that the beginning didn't cover the history of the city or the history of the football program more.

A few notables:

That the girl on the street who said her sister got jumped and that's what the mess is next door - meaning the chick with the butcher knife being restrained - joked and laughed about the threat of someone getting a 38 to settle the beef.

That one player was failing African American Studies and another Choir.

That Jeff Thomas most likely got his ass ripped by teammates during the closed-door meeting and he was humbled ... and had been crying.

That Jeff Thomas again appeared in tears after the GBN game, maybe knowing he almost lost that opportunity.(The shield gave a little privacy.)

That the mom of the detained kid in the yellow shirt told the police they were doing things right, cleaning up the street, even if that meant her boy getting locked up.

That I had not heard before about Rey Estes being unlicensed when he wrecked his Mama's car that he took without her permission.

That no clean laundry is a reason not to go to school (and that's sad.)

That football might be the only way out of the Boogie for these kids.

That the girls in the gym use guilt as a sharp whip when telling the boys they don't want it enough and got them to organize themselves for a team meeting.

That's someone's girlfriend ... they want out too and they don't want to see the boys miss their chance.

Reactions: jsoulis
site_0198_0001-750-0-20090925150204.jpg

The stairs State Street was running are at Cahokia Mounds, a UN World Heritage site ... that the local yahoos keep ruining with ATVs and dirt bikes.

Cahokia Mounds, some 13 km north-east of St Louis, Missouri, is the largest pre-Columbian settlement north of Mexico. It was occupied primarily during the Mississippian period (800–1400), when it covered nearly 1,600 ha and included some 120 mounds. It is a striking example of a complex chiefdom society, with many satellite mound centres and numerous outlying hamlets and villages. This agricultural society may have had a population of 10–20,000 at its peak between 1050 and 1150. Primary features at the site include Monks Mound, the largest prehistoric earthwork in the Americas, covering over 5 ha and standing 30 m high.

i enjoyed. A few quibbles but definitely worth the time. Definitely a very positive view of coach sunkett.

Felt really bad for Lamontre Harvery. I remember his talent level

I had this on DVR and forgot to watch it until today. I got a whole new appreciation for Coach Sunkett.

Though neither won state like The Flyers have done quite a bit,the Tigers of ESL Lincoln & Pioneers of ESL Assumption had some pretty damn good football teams back in the day even as late as the late 80's,Lincoln early 90's before they closed.

Last edited:
Lincoln was the boys' hoops school - LaPhonso Ellis being notable. Girls track under Nino Fennoy was incredible - he produced JJK.

Assumption football was hardnose - grind and pound. The Assumption coach - George Martz - has his name immortalized as Althoff plays on Martz Field.

He hired Glenn Schott in the 1950s when the school was called Cathedral, from which my father graduated. Schott then took over Althoff when the doors opened.

Unofficial fight song:
Beer Beer for old (Central/Assumption) High
You bring the whiskey I'll bring the rye
Send the loyal freshmen out for gin
And don't let a sober sophomore in.
Junior's may stagger Senior's may fall
But we'll sober up on wood alcohol.
Loyal kids of Assumption High,
Stagger back to the bar for more!

Lincoln was the boys' hoops school - LaPhonso Ellis being notable. Girls track under Nino Fennoy was incredible - he produced JJK.

Assumption football was hardnose - grind and pound. The Assumption coach - George Martz - has his name immortalized as Althoff plays on Martz Field.

He hired Glenn Schott in the 1950s when the school was called Cathedral, from which my father graduated. Schott then took over Althoff when the doors opened.

Unofficial fight song:
Beer Beer for old (Central/Assumption) High
You bring the whiskey I'll bring the rye
Send the loyal freshmen out for gin
And don't let a sober sophomore in.
Junior's may stagger Senior's may fall
But we'll sober up on wood alcohol.
Loyal kids of Assumption High,
Stagger back to the bar for more!

Those old Lincoln teams were fun to watch! I grew up with Laphonso's younger brother and cousin. Laphonso's mother used to work at my grade school too and knew her as well. The IHSA documentary DVD on Illinois high school basketball ends with Lincoln's three-peat.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Althoff beat Lincoln my freshman year - regular season. That was 1987/8. We had a D1 tackle playing center and a 6/11 guy who could play - and BC Perry.

Biggest upset I witnessed at Althoff. If they played 10 times, the Tigers win 9 or maybe all.

Althoff beat Lincoln my freshman year - regular season. That was 1987/8. We had a D1 tackle playing center and a 6/11 guy who could play - and BC Perry.

Biggest upset I witnessed at Althoff. If they played 10 times, the Tigers win 9 or maybe all.

I didn't know that. Althoff must have had a solid team!

Jeff Thomas Update

Notably, up to 177 pounds from 156 last year. Admitted to “loafing” in high school. Says he just hung with him mom during high school. Practices catching back end of the ball. Fifth in the nation for YPC. Clocked at 4.38 - says added weight has not slowed him down but he gets tossed around less.

The " U" needs a QB BAD. No one to get him the ball.

Jeff Thomas Update

Notably, up to 177 pounds from 156 last year. Admitted to “loafing” in high school. Says he just hung with him mom during high school. Practices catching back end of the ball. Fifth in the nation for YPC. Clocked at 4.38 - says added weight has not slowed him down but he gets tossed around less.

I remember hearing that practicing catching the back end of the ball was a way to really improve one's pass receiving. I forget who the individual was demonstrating it, but he went through the reasoning behind it. If I remember correctly, it had to do with the development of the hand-eye coordination and concentration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT