ADVERTISEMENT

1A Althoff Over 7A Collinsville 38-27

Not sure why everyone gets all excited about this 1A team beating a 500 or worse team. It’s their superbowl. So you have the best 1A team playing a so so 7A team. If they want to make noise have them play the best in 7A MC, like Rochester did with LA and see how that goes. 😂

No one is getting "all excited" by this Althoff win. It's just a headline that tells the story.

Collinsville is a local program that had a week open and the Crusaders scheduled them, just like they did with St. T and Du-Pec this year, the top 2/3A teams going into the season.

Althoff always plays to their ability and above. Their lone loss is to undefeated MO 4A runners-up. Until this year, they were in a 5-6A conference. They've scheduled IC as well as Cardinal Ritter in recent years as well. They punch above their weight class and have for decades.

But why would you care? Does this take away precious clicks about another ho-hum LWE match-up? The Griffs seem to lack the balls to schedule anyone of substance.

Coach Z should know by now, Sunkett ain't hard to find!

Not sure why everyone gets all excited about this 1A team beating a 500 or worse team. It’s their superbowl. So you have the best 1A team playing a so so 7A team. If they want to make noise have them play the best in 7A MC, like Rochester did with LA and see how that goes. 😂
Missed the mark. On multiple fronts. By a wide margin.

No one is getting "all excited" by this Althoff win. It's just a headline that tells the story.

Collinsville is a local program that had a week open and the Crusaders scheduled them, just like they did with St. T and Du-Pec this year, the top 2/3A teams going into the season.

Althoff always plays to their ability and above. Their lone loss is to undefeated MO 4A runners-up. Until this year, they were in a 5-6A conference. They've scheduled IC as well as Cardinal Ritter in recent years as well. They punch above their weight class and have for decades.

But why would you care? Does this take away precious clicks about another ho-hum LWE match-up? The Griffs seem to lack the balls to schedule anyone of substance.

Lol
Coach Z is smart and realizes ESL needs this game more than East. Let’s see ESL play a 8A schedule and then play in the 8A playoffs. I have said it many times I would love to see the 2 teams play but only coach Z and Coach Sunkett can make it happen.

You think ESL is the only team of substance? LMAO. ESL has played plenty of teams on a National level and their record is not very good. Yes they definitely step up to challenge these teams but their record isn’t good against them. Then they come back to Illinois and play 6A teams and beat them up. The one time they play a in state school 7A MC they get beat. I wouldn’t get to cocky because IMO there a handful of teams in Illinois that would either beat the Flyers or give they all they could handle.

Reactions: chiliconcarne
Do tell how I missed the mark Doc.
crusader stated in previous threads that he didn’t consider Althoff beating Collinsville an upset. Nobody was “all excited” and it wasn’t anyone’s “Super Bowl”. Collinsville is an “ok” 7A team that won a playoff game last year. It happed to be against a team that took LWE to OT if I recall.
Althoff has already scheduled some pretty strong non conference games pound for pound. Your comment about them needing to schedule Mt. Carmel was basically ridiculous.
The whole post came off as very condescending.

I remember a thread a few years ago Corey where you clearly said a lower class ( 1A -3A ) could never beat a higher class ( 4-8 ). Although not common , this year it has happened several times. I thought the comment was condescending also. Not surprised though

You think ESL is the only team of substance? LMAO. ESL has played plenty of teams on a National level and their record is not very good. Yes they definitely step up to challenge these teams but their record isn’t good against them. Then they come back to Illinois and play 6A teams and beat them up. The one time they play a in state school 7A MC they get beat. I wouldn’t get to cocky because IMO there a handful of teams in Illinois that would either beat the Flyers or give they all they could handle.
You are so transparent and seemingly unaware that you are. If a thread does not come back around to LWE being great, you will give a backhanded compliment, grudgingly so as not to come off as the person you actually are.

Your disdain for EastSide (or me) is so glaringly obvious that you come here today to suggest a 1A team take on Mt. Carmel if they had any balls.

You are the board's fool.

crusader stated in previous threads that he didn’t consider Althoff beating Collinsville an upset. Nobody was “all excited” and it wasn’t anyone’s “Super Bowl”. Collinsville is an “ok” 7A team that won a playoff game last year. It happed to be against a team that took LWE to OT if I recall.
Althoff has already scheduled some pretty strong non conference games pound for pound. Your comment about them needing to schedule Mt. Carmel was basically ridiculous.
The whole post came off as very condescending.
I didn’t see the previous post so only read your post so it came off differently to me. I apologize for misunderstanding. My point was if a team is going to brag about beating a team in higher class then play the best. In any case I get how my post came off condescending. I am not sure that LWE has ever played Collinsville. What year?

You are so transparent and seemingly unaware that you are. If a thread does not come back around to LWE being great, you will give a backhanded compliment, grudgingly so as not to come off as the person you actually are.

Your disdain for EastSide (or me) is so glaringly obvious that you come here today to suggest a 1A team take on Mt. Carmel if they had any balls.

You are the board's fool.
You need to read your post. This is exactly what you do in regards to ESL. I don’t dislike you heck I don’t dislike anyone on here. You are taking things too personal. We are talking HS football and our opinions. I am not saying or meaning anything to be personal. If I come across like that I am I apologize. I do respect ESL but I also feel other teams in Illinois can play with the Flyers.

Crusader of 90 has always mentioned Althoff Catholic since I have been on Edgy. I believe he mentioned he played for them and has been a strong supporter of the team. Obviously that goes for everyone on here who supports a HS football team. I never seen him brag on his team or bash other teams. I am glad to see you apologized as your comments were out of line.

Crusader of 90 has always mentioned Althoff Catholic since I have been on Edgy. I believe he mentioned he played for them and has been a strong supporter of the team. Obviously that goes for everyone on here who supports a HS football team. I never seen him brag on his team or bash other teams. I am glad to see you apologized as your comments were out of line.
He brags a lot about ESL. That’s okay 👍 I still apologize if I offended him it’s just opinions right or wrong I don’t want anything to be personal.

Reactions: Gene K.
I would not say they are best team in 1A until Lena Winslow is dethroned.

I agree with that sentiment. It would also be good to see the superior 8A teams play the likes of Bosco, IMG, Mater Dei, Bishop Gorman, St. Francis (MD) and Chaminade. We never see it except from a program like East St. Louis- which is odd coming from a city with a 30% poverty rate. So we know it isn't about money. Why don't the LA's, St. Rita's, MC's, and Lincoln Ways challenge the national powers. I mean even Phillips went to Detroit to take on Detroit Cass Tech

@crusader_of_90 is also a guy that partied hard with Mount Carmel and Saint Rita guys in college and liked the St. Rita guys better.

Doesn’t have anything to do with the post but I always try to bring every thread back to the SR MC rivalry. Now @McCaravan will come in, halfway agree with me but then say St. Rita grads didn’t win over Cru of 90, Mt. Carmel grads chose not to hang with Cru or some other type of stiff arm to my ego. But then we all know how a thread like this ends, it always ends with everyone calling East St. Louis undisciplined and the Eastside fans be like, WTF, we’re just minding our own business over here🤣

I agree with that sentiment. It would also be good to see the superior 8A teams play the likes of Bosco, IMG, Mater Dei, Bishop Gorman, St. Francis (MD) and Chaminade. We never see it except from a program like East St. Louis- which is odd coming from a city with a 30% poverty rate. So we know it isn't about money. Why don't the LA's, St. Rita's, MC's, and Lincoln Ways challenge the national powers. I mean even Phillips went to Detroit to take on Detroit Cass Tech
To play Devil's advocate, I would imagine that how difficult your conference schedule is going to be year in and year out would play a factor in how risky you choose to be in scheduling non conference games and national powers. ESL plays in a relatively weak conference (no bias here, I'm and Eville guy and we're in the same conference) in which generally speaking, has maybe one potentially challenging game per season for ESL, if even that. With teams like LA, MC, etc. already being in very tough conferences, booking games with the IMG's of the nation is a bigger risk. On the other hand, the upside to playing the popular national powers is that it may help in the recruitment / transfer side of things in building up your roster. Definitely pro's and con's, but the con's might outweigh the risks if you're already in a tough conference.

Last edited:
If I knew the answer I would tell you.
I have said for years the best in Illinois could play with the best in the country. No guarantee they would win but they would represent well. I think the difference is Illinois IMO only a handful of teams are good enough to handle the pressure of a national game. Some of these other states like Ca, Tx, etc have more than a handful that could compete.

This would be year 23-24. Year 15-16 was the last year that a non NUIc team won class 1A. 7 straight titles. COViD didn’t count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT