ADVERTISEMENT

MC Up 28-19 3Q 4:52

The statements were verbatim quotes from the announcers. Not my sentiment.
I know you took crap for saying the announcers were bad. I agree with you. It was hard to listen to them. I am just glad the were able to stream the game live on You Tube so we could all watch. They did a decent job with the camera. I realized they were kids so I give them a pass on the play by play. 😊

I initially was upset they didn’t punt but here’s the thing, first off he doesn’t like punt 😀, but in this particular case, every time ESL scored they did it on a quick one or two plays after a long run or pass. So it didn’t matter if they did it from the 20 or 40 yards further, it might have made 8 seconds difference. Yes many have rolled the dice with 40 yards further but they play worked all night, he gets it’s we burn the clock, it worked out fortunately in the end but I think he figured if they score and even get 2 we still get the ball back and can kill it then which they did. If it wasn’t an 11 point lead at the time, he would have punted
Exactly. Plus he probably wanted to go the whole game with zero punt attempts against them, haha.
Forever, defenses are told 3 and out let's get off the field. So you stop them on 3rd down and start to get off the field relieved. Then you have to gear back up for 4th down in a somewhat scramble.
So between them going offsides 10 times, being out of "gas", and an 11 point lead a 1 yard attempt seemed worth it.

Reactions: Silver Rain
All.... Hold the boat on that 6A talk for the moment. The "petition up" form has to be at the Ihsa office by end of business September 1. Ratsy

It was a classic as most knew it would be. It really seemed that MC completely dominated 46 of the 48 minutes of the game, but ESL only needed 2 minutes to score 5 TDs, they are that dangerous. Yes MC missed a couple tackles but for the most part, it was speed and you can’t coach speed, I know there are speed coaches but you get my drift. They were amazing athletes. Speed kills and MCs DBs are pretty damn fast themselves, all 4 have D1 offers. Having given ESL their due props, I’m going to give them their kick in the groin now.

19 penalties for damn near 200 yards? That’s undisciplined. And it started from the first series and continued. I saw the ESL coaches yank them when they made penalties so it wasn’t encouraged but yet it continued. And the cramping…after awhile I thought it was intentional to give them breaks but they had to carry two players off with cramps. It was in the high 60’s, it was fall like conditions! @crusader_of_90 I think your theory of them practicing in hotter climates may better prepare them backfired. That’s issues with preparation.

Now for MC, well done gents. Jack Elliott your table is ready! They double downed on Dupree and he took advantage. Dupree still had a nice game none the less. Some first game mistakes but nothing glaring and all fixable. They need to put this game in the rear view because Morgan Park has some major athletes and it’s a new challenge.

Both teams had a lot penalties early but MC got in sync and looked crisp on offense. ESL offense came to life in the 2nd half but by the games end their defense started to look a little gassed. ESL was not able to stop the QB from running, after fake hand-offs, the basic QB draw. That should have been a coaching adjustment. Special teams has always been an ESL Achilles Heel. Still, they made it a very good game in the end.

Few observations.

It seemed like the edges were open all day on MC's defense. Flyers were getting outside at will. Yeah speed kills, but that's just lack of containment discipline.

MC's QB kinda reminded me of Brett Morse, loved his inside running with power. I agreed with going for it on that 4th down because it had worked all game and he is a load behind a stout OL and ESL looked to be gassed.

The offsides penalties have to be worked on, but that happens when you have a "get after it" defense.

Nice good physical game to open the season. Love that when they were down by a lot late the Flyers didn't pack it in. They keep playing till the horn. MC on the other side came with a game plan and executed the vast majority of the game. Both are odds on favorites in their classes.

Well they gotta go to Maryland to play national power saint Frances then they have to play a 6a texas team who made it to the semis last year . Would be super weird if they ended the seam on 6-3 but who knows
Well they gotta go to Maryland to play national power saint Frances then they have to play a 6a texas team who made it to the semis last year . Would be super weird if they ended the seam on 6-3 but who knows
St. Frances is currently 0-2 and appears to be having a down year. They lost their first game 0-18 and their second game 14-35. ESL should have no problem winning that one. The Texas team, Atasocita won their first game 46-21 against another Texas team and now sit at 1-0. Unlike St. Francis, Atasocita is a public school and doesn't play a national schedule. ESL will likely be a big favorite in that one as well.

St. Frances is currently 0-2 and appears to be having a down year. They lost their first game 0-18 and their second game 14-35. ESL should have no problem winning that one. The Texas team, Atasocita won their first game 46-21 against another Texas team and now sit at 1-0. Unlike St. Francis, Atasocita is a public school and doesn't play a national schedule. ESL will likely be a big favorite in that one as well.
They may not play a national schedule but they play a Texas schedule, so same thing. Bishop Sycamore played a national schedule look what happened there 😉. No clue what’s up with St. Francis….down year or are there opponents just that good.

Nice good physical game to open the season. Love that when they were down by a lot late the Flyers didn't pack it in. They keep playing till the horn. MC on the other side came with a game plan and executed the vast majority of the game. Both are odds on favorites in their classes.
Would love to see a rematch of the game in the playoffs. It sucks that ESL's conference does not allow them to petition up to 7A anymore.

Would love to see a rematch of the game in the playoffs. It sucks that ESL's conference does not allow them to petition up to 7A anymore.
Agreed. Hopefully with this being a week 1 game the rest of the season isn't anticlimactic. That would be a tragedy

They may not play a national schedule but they play a Texas schedule, so same thing. Bishop Sycamore played a national schedule look what happened there 😉. No clue what’s up with St. Francis….down year or are there opponents just that good.
Like most, I assume that a Texas schedule is more difficult than an Illinois schedule. No argument there, but the Flyer program has some national schedule experience and are obviously one of the top programs in Illinois. I'm honestly not sure whether or not Atasocita is considered a powerhouse in their state. Right now Max Preps has Atasocita nationally ranked at 48 and ESL at 40. I know that doesn't mean a whole lot, but at least in the eyes of Max Preps, ESL is the favorite. As for St. Francis, their week one opponent won their game this week 10-7 and sit at 2-0. Their week two opponent is 1-0. Both teams appear to play almost entirely in state competition, with the exception of their games against St. Francis. So, not looking good for St. Francis at the moment.

Reactions: McCaravan
Missing Martin in the first half was not helpful.

The offsides penalties killed them. A hard count should not draw them off 10 times. That mostly stopped in the second half.
Martin didn’t miss any parts of the game. He was on the field the first play of the offensive possession. Not sure why people think he wasn’t?

Like most, I assume that a Texas schedule is more difficult than an Illinois schedule. No argument there, but the Flyer program has some national schedule experience and are obviously one of the top programs in Illinois. I'm honestly not sure whether or not Atasocita is considered a powerhouse in their state. Right now Max Preps has Atasocita nationally ranked at 48 and ESL at 40. I know that doesn't mean a whole lot, but at least in the eyes of Max Preps, ESL is the favorite. As for St. Francis, their week one opponent won their game this week 10-7 and sit at 2-0. Their week two opponent is 1-0. Both teams appear to play almost entirely in state competition, with the exception of their games against St. Francis. So, not looking good for St. Francis at the moment.
Atascottia plays North Shore out of Houston. Played them twice last year and took them down to the wire in their regular season meeting but lost. They lost to them again in the semis I think. Their only other loss was to Katy, a Texas powerhouse. There isn’t a single thing ESL will bring to the table that Atascottia doesn’t see or deal with on a regular basis. Not saying ESL can’t beat them but there is no way I’d make them the favorite on the road against a fairly big Texas school that has competed with and actually beaten some of the best teams in Texas over the last few years.

Speaking of North Shore watch North Shore or Duncanville play football. They are bigger, faster, more disciplined and physical football teams than ESL is. I was actually disappointed that ESL didn’t go down and reach out to either of those schools. ESL has a much better chance of beating Atascottia than they would either of those two teams that is for sure.

Maurice Densmore, the transfer from MS, had a little swagger to his game and made some key 3rd and 4th down conversions.
With Furlong and Deacy gone he is going to be a great addition this year. Was curious why Danyil Taylor #88 was so underused. Maybe he’s nursing an injury or in the doghouse but I expected him to contribute more last night

Atascottia plays North Shore out of Houston. Played them twice last year and took them down to the wire in their regular season meeting but lost. They lost to them again in the semis I think. Their only other loss was to Katy, a Texas powerhouse. There isn’t a single thing ESL will bring to the table that Atascottia doesn’t see or deal with on a regular basis. Not saying ESL can’t beat them but there is no way I’d make them the favorite on the road against a fairly big Texas school that has competed with and actually beaten some of the best teams in Texas over the last few years.

Speaking of North Shore watch North Shore or Duncanville play football. They are bigger, faster, more disciplined and physical football teams than ESL is. I was actually disappointed that ESL didn’t go down and reach out to either of those schools. ESL has a much better chance of beating Atascottia than they would either of those two teams that is for sure.
That’s why you play the game. All theories go out the window when the whistle blows for kickoff. Good teams play exciting football. Look forward to it.

Reactions: crusader_of_90

Thanks for the insight. It's hard to know what's what with the out of state teams. Sounds like it could be a good one! And yeah, sounds like North Shore and Duncanville would be fun and interesting games for ESL. Maybe next year!

Reactions: TheWizardofWoodlawn
I think the best defense ESL has had was the 2016 championship team, but this year's team still showed good D tonight. MC obviously has a great running attack, but ESL still made them work for it. Takes a good D to at least slow down a good team like that.
Here's a 30-minute summary on YouTube. Would love to watch the whole game again.

Caravan broadcast network still has the full game up on YouTube, along with most of last year’s games.

Thanks for the insight. It's hard to know what's what with the out of state teams. Sounds like it could be a good one! And yeah, sounds like North Shore and Duncanville would be fun and interesting games for ESL. Maybe next year!
Duncanville is no joke! Check their national status they are in it every year. I have a friend from there and they can play the game. It’s serious in Texas and Duncanville is up there with the best in the state.

Texas football is a whole other world. Especially in the top classes.

It was a classic as most knew it would be. It really seemed that MC completely dominated 46 of the 48 minutes of the game, but ESL only needed 2 minutes to score 5 TDs, they are that dangerous. Yes MC missed a couple tackles but for the most part, it was speed and you can’t coach speed, I know there are speed coaches but you get my drift. They were amazing athletes. Speed kills and MCs DBs are pretty damn fast themselves, all 4 have D1 offers. Having given ESL their due props, I’m going to give them their kick in the groin now.

19 penalties for damn near 200 yards? That’s undisciplined. And it started from the first series and continued. I saw the ESL coaches yank them when they made penalties so it wasn’t encouraged but yet it continued. And the cramping…after awhile I thought it was intentional to give them breaks but they had to carry two players off with cramps. It was in the high 60’s, it was fall like conditions! @crusader_of_90 I think your theory of them practicing in hotter climates may better prepare them backfired. That’s issues with preparation.

Now for MC, well done gents. Jack Elliott your table is ready! They double downed on Dupree and he took advantage. Dupree still had a nice game none the less. Some first game mistakes but nothing glaring and all fixable. They need to put this game in the rear view because Morgan Park has some major athletes and it’s a new challenge.
Both MC and East St Louis have not fared well the week after they have played each other. 87 EStL lost in the 6A final, 88 was the 6A final, 95 MC lost 5A Final to MS , 17v semi to LZ and 18 semi to StCN.

The Morgan Park game is going to be much closer then the casual observer thinks. They brought back something like 15 starters back and thumped Richards. MC doesn't really have any breathers on schedule this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Both MC and East St Louis have not fared well the week after they have played each other. 87 EStL lost in the 6A final, 88 was the 6A final, 95 MC lost 5A Final to MS , 17v semi to LZ and 18 semi to StCN.

The Morgan Park game is going to be much closer then the casual observer thinks. They brought back something like 15 starters back and thumped Richards. MC doesn't really have any breathers on schedule this year.
I actually was thinking about this earlier. Both teams beat the hell out of each other this week. Naturally, there may be a letdown. MP looks like a solid team. It might be close early on, but MC wins by, at least, 14 points.

Duncanville is no joke! Check their national status they are in it every year. I have a friend from there and they can play the game. It’s serious in Texas and Duncanville is up there with the best in the state.
Maybe if ESL wins against Atasocita this year, they'll try and book Duncanville next year.

Definitely have to respect MC for still scheduling tough non conference games despite being in one of, if not the toughest conference in the state. That's risky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT