ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring back one program....

People in Frankfort Square need to move on. The school should have never been opened. It was a huge mistake and a waste of tax payers money. No fault of the kids but this entire situation was a travesty. My kids grew up in Frankfort Square and went to East long before North was ever opened. In my mind these kids in the square are now back home at East. I think it’s the parents are having a more difficult time with the closing. I think coach Z has done an excellent job managing the north kids and parents to bring them back together.
I live in Frankfort…
Plus, the question was what program do you wish would come back.
And, yes Henning would have gone to LWN.

Reactions: corey90
It’ll never happen but I’d like to go back to the 70’s/80’s where this 2 schools one sports garbage wasn’t going on & schools like SFDS & Leo had numbers & the state was pretty safe all over. Add Lincoln Way North & South in(I’m dreaming) & seeing no bullshit was going on the 5pm Soph game before the 7 pm Varsity. Frosh A&B on Saturday or Thursday & JV games on Mondays. Sunday Catholic games at Gately with Big 10 refs & lower level games at Dan Ryan Woods. I’d say well over 100 football teams would be added.

Here are some Sica/Illini 8 fun facts. Richards was originally going to be Eisenhower North. Romeoville was originally Lockport West. They added orange when they became Romeoville. Joliet West were very briefly called Westmen a Viking type mascot when they opened. Bolingbrook & Romeoville High Schools were going to have their names changed to Valley View North & Valley View South respectively. When the Sica first started they wanted the Illini 8 teams in it minus Joliet Catholic & Marian Catholic. They were going to be renamed the Sica Southwest but the Illini 8 said no. Kankakee Eastridge & Kankakee Westview were in the original Illini 8 but left because of excess travel & played an Independent schedule vs nearby schools in the area including Indiana. In 1981 The Illini 8 played an unbalanced schedule. The Joliet Schools Superintendent was 99.9% sure there would be no athletics so the remaining schools replaced them on their schedule. All had 9 games except Joliet Central which played 7. Joliet East & Joliet Central played each other twice that year. At some point these schools tried/were going to become Sica Members. Riverside Brookfield wanted to be Sica North with Argo,Oak Lawn,Reavis,Richards, Sandburg,Shepard & Stagg.

Here are some Sica/Illini 8 fun facts. Richards was originally going to be Eisenhower North. Romeoville was originally Lockport West. They added orange when they became Romeoville. Joliet West were very briefly called Westmen a Viking type mascot when they opened. Bolingbrook & Romeoville High Schools were going to have their names changed to Valley View North & Valley View South respectively. When the Sica first started they wanted the Illini 8 teams in it minus Joliet Catholic & Marian Catholic. They were going to be renamed the Sica Southwest but the Illini 8 said no. Kankakee Eastridge & Kankakee Westview were in the original Illini 8 but left because of excess travel & played an Independent schedule vs nearby schools in the area including Indiana. In 1981 The Illini 8 played an unbalanced schedule. The Joliet Schools Superintendent was 99.9% sure there would be no athletics so the remaining schools replaced them on their schedule. All had 9 games except Joliet Central which played 7. Joliet East & Joliet Central played each other twice that year. At some point these schools tried/were going to become Sica Members. Riverside Brookfield wanted to be Sica North with Argo,Oak Lawn,Reavis,Richards, Sandburg,Shepard & Stagg.
Kankakee Bishop McNamara wanted to join the Sica South with Rich East, Rich South,Rich Central, Kankakee,Crete Monee & Bradley Bourbonnais. Marian Catholic wanted to join the Sica East with Bloom,Bloom Trail,Eisenhower,HF,Thornton,Thornwood,Thornridge. Marist wanted to join the old Sica North with Bloom,Eisenhower,Richards,Thornton,Thornwood & Thornridge. Providence Catholic wanted to get in the Sica West with Andrew,Bolingbrook,Romeoville,Lockport,Lincoln Way,Joliet West & Joliet Central

Kankakee Bishop McNamara wanted to join the Sica South with Rich East, Rich South,Rich Central, Kankakee,Crete Monee & Bradley Bourbonnais. Marian Catholic wanted to join the Sica East with Bloom,Bloom Trail,Eisenhower,HF,Thornton,Thornwood,Thornridge. Marist wanted to join the old Sica North with Bloom,Eisenhower,Richards,Thornton,Thornwood & Thornridge. Providence Catholic wanted to get in the Sica West with Andrew,Bolingbrook,Romeoville,Lockport,Lincoln Way,Joliet West & Joliet Central
Lemont wanted to get in the old Sica Central with Bremen,Oak Forest,Hillcrest,Tinley Park,TF North & TF South. Also as stated in addition to Marian Catholic if Illini 8 teams came aboard Sica as Sica Southwest Joliet East & Joliet Catholic would have been members too

There were 2 different proposals for Sica in 1983. Here is the one where none of the Joliet Schools were going to close(I’ll have to find the other that had Joliet Central closing which originally after the 1981-82 school year it would have) Sica North:HF,Bloom,Bloom Trail,Thornton,Thornwood,Thornridge. Sica West: Lockport,Lincoln Way,Joliet East,Joliet Central,Joliet West,Romeoville,Bolingbrook,Sandburg. Sica Central: Shepard,Richards,Eisenhower,Oak Lawn,Reavis & Argo. Sica East: Rich Central,Oak Forest,Bremen,TF North,TF South,Andrew & Stagg. Sica South: Rich South,Rich East,Bradley Bourbonnais,Kankakee,Crete Monee,Tinley Park & Hillcrest

Those private schools mentioned never got a sniff of getting into SICA. In fact, there was a short period of time, in the '80s I believe, that a group of SICA ADs were open about their distaste for private school athletic programs. This was displayed in boycotting scheduling these schools for non-cons, particularly football. At the time, it was more about losing athletes to the privates, not necessarily state competition domination quite yet.

Those private schools mentioned never got a sniff of getting into SICA. In fact, there was a short period of time, in the '80s I believe, that a group of SICA ADs were open about their distaste for private school athletic programs. This was displayed in boycotting scheduling these schools for non-cons, particularly football. At the time, it was more about losing athletes to the privates, not necessarily state competition domination quite yet.
1/2 of Marian Catholics games were vs Sica & Bishop Mac played BBCHS & K3 each year. They tried to get in but were turned down

It has been talked about on here for YEARS!
Not quite. There has been talk "around" the closing, but not a succinct factual statement. If you can make such a statement, please do. thanks.

nb: As I understood at the time, the closing was quite sudden and surprising.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT