ADVERTISEMENT

New Stadiums/ Renovations

nwfb99

Sep 4, 2009
I know many high schools throughout Chicago area go through off season renovations or complete rebuilds of football stadiums. Just looking to hear any that are complete or on going.

One field I know is unique is Clark High School in Chicago built a new field with stands and a press box which are both in the west end zone of the field. The field does have lights as well. It is located at Flournoy & Lavergne Ave. I also know Rockne Stadium ( Roosevelt & Central) just went through a complete renovation and added what looks like either locker rooms or bathrooms on the north end zone. New field turf and track were replaced.

Lights are in at Loyola's Hoerster Field
435894991_10233393675804305_5930693405715722449_n.jpg

Been to several games there (CoM) and always thought it was a cool old place. Have not seen it for 20-some years though.
Looks the exact same. Still remember some St Pats dad's went in there at night and changed the light bulbs in the scoreboard! What a dump

Reactions: ignazio
All... In the fwiw category. As a H.S. football fan who has been to many stadiums all over the state the most important factor for me as I'm sure most fans is adequate seating. It's never happened to me but having to stand and watch a game has to be terrible.

Don't care if it's a dump, bad area of town, even if parking is sparse. (The rat arrives hours early anyway and picks his parking spot. lol)

I have only been to one of the "CPL" stadiums. Gately, and it was really nice. Ratsy

Last edited:
All... In the fwiw category. As a H.S. football fan who has been to many stadiums all over the state the most important factor for me as I'm sure most fans is adequate seating. It's never happened to me but having to stand and watch a game has to be terrible.

Don't care if it's a dump, bad area of town, even if parking is sparse. (The rat arrives hours early anyway and picks his parking spot. lol)

I have only been to one of the "CPL" stadiums. Gately, and it was really nice. Ratsy
Depending on the field sometimes I prefer to stand to get a field level view of the game. It's not terrible at all.

Hansen Stadium is back.
* Hanson Stadium

Hanson Stadium has new field turf they age also added what looks like additional bathrooms or locker rooms in the south end zone.

Many Catholic high schools called Hanson Stadium home for a long time.

Gordon Tech
Weber High School
St Patrick High School

I have fond memories of Hanson and those complaining it just added to the lore that was Hanson!!!

Me to myself: "Man this guy is really gonna hate coming to QND this year... 😬"

Rat, I enjoy your posts but I find it amusing how adequate seating is your #1 factor yet you arrive hours early and have never had issue picking your spot 😂. Wouldn’t #2 factor move up in line lol?

Rat, I enjoy your posts but I find it amusing how adequate seating is your #1 factor yet you arrive hours early and have never had issue picking your spot 😂. Wouldn’t #2 factor move up in line lol?
All.... There is a theme about early arrival. A rodents story.... It all started in 1995 with deciding to "set up" a tailgate. Back in those days consisting of a table top grill and a tiny table. A few minutes later let the fun begin. Now over the years word got out and it grew. As a norm I don't miss many games.

Every year is different. Now even though high school football is king attendance varies from season to season. The tailgate at it's high level had four tables, full size grill, a pop up tent and when it gets cold wall attachments and a triple head propane heater. I can get the temp in that tent like a sauna if necessary. Gets pretty popular in the Cyclone tailgate area at SHG. ☺️ And of course a 20ft extension pole and tire plate with an SHG flag flying high. (away games that gets the stink eye lol) Junk food galore while people await what's cooking on the now full size grill. Throw in a radio for those that go out at half time and decide to listen to the rest of the game under a bright lantern lit tent and there you have it....

So a few minutes became almost an hour to setup. Ratsy likes to get that out of the way early and then sit in one of four SHG bag chairs till game time. I don't do the cooking and am able to enlist someone else for that. Overall attendance has been down for years. From a high of about 30 at my tailgate to maybe a half of dozen people or so. One never knows who is going to show up. Oh the stories I could tell you.... especially taking this soiree on the road. (note Rochester :eek:😇) A bit long winded reply but now you know as they say the rest of the story. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: stl705
Me to myself: "Man this guy is really gonna hate coming to QND this year... 😬"
All.... Roamin' private schools get an exemption on my unhappiness with stadium seating issue. They are self funding as you know and do what they can. ☺️ SHG by the way didn't even have a field to play on until 2012. QND's upgrade s look quite nice. And in old school tradition I believe I read somewhere they still allow fans to sit in chairs (or stand) around the field.

Knock on wood I will be at the game parked on Van Buren close to the away fans entrance with the Cyclone flag flying high week four. Even closer to the party house. 😇 I haven't a clue on what type of fan crowd SHG will bring. The times have changed a bit. Ratsy P.S. Go Raiders and go SHG!

All.... There is a theme about early arrival. A rodents story.... It all started in 1995 with deciding to "set up" a tailgate. Back in those days consisting of a table top grill and a tiny table. A few minutes later let the fun begin. Now over the years word got out and it grew. As a norm I don't miss many games.

Every year is different. Now even though high school football is king attendance varies from season to season. The tailgate at it's high level had four tables, full size grill, a pop up tent and when it gets cold wall attachments and a triple head propane heater. I can get the temp in that tent like a sauna if necessary. Gets pretty popular in the Cyclone tailgate area at SHG. ☺️ And of course a 20ft extension pole and tire plate with an SHG flag flying high. (away games that gets the stink eye lol) Junk food galore while people await what's cooking on the now full size grill. Throw in a radio for those that go out at half time and decide to listen to the rest of the game under a bright lantern lit tent and there you have it....

So a few minutes became almost an hour to setup. Ratsy likes to get that out of the way early and then sit in one of four SHG bag chairs till game time. I don't do the cooking and am able to enlist someone else for that. Overall attendance has been down for years. From a high of about 30 at my tailgate to maybe a half of dozen people or so. One never knows who is going to show up. Oh the stories I could tell you.... especially taking this soiree on the road. (note Rochester :eek:😇) A bit long winded reply but now you know as they say the rest of the story. Ratsy
Love this. Let me know when that tailgate comes up north to the burbs.

I believe Fenton in Bensenville is undergoing some sort of renovation with the installation if field turf etc. They started last fall.I also thought I heard that the football field at West Leyden in Northlake where the Leyden Eagles play their football games was going to have field turf installed. They created a field turf surface at East Leyden in Franklin Park for soccer which looks really nice. .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT