ADVERTISEMENT

Amendment Proposals IHSA

That post answered your question. Now you move the goal posts by changing the question. After you get rid of the privates how do you get rid of LWE, MS, ESL, Rochester, etc. Because 99% of the public still won't win a title?
As mentioned earlier, you can’t look at this with football blinders on.

FWIW, In 1A the 4 finalists in Boys soccer were private schools and in Volleyball, 3 of the 4 finalists are private schools. In soccer, they all came from areas where the public schools play 3A in soccer and at least 6A in football. The smaller privates pull from a larger pool of athletes in towns of 25,000+ in population yet compete against schools pulling from towns of less than 5,000.

The size of the school may not matter but the population density sure does. Not sure how you solve the problem. Maybe you make classes based on the population of the towns schools, both public and private, are pulling from.

FWIW, In 1A the 4 finalists in Boys soccer were private schools and in Volleyball, 3 of the 4 finalists are private schools.
And in 3A boys soccer, only 1 private school made it as far as the sweet sixteen where they lost. What do you propose doing to rectify that travesty of justice?

I'm not going to reveal my source on this, nor will I cut, copy, and past the entire text from the e-mail I received, but I will lay bare one passage from the original message I obtained.

After summarizing the content of the proposed bylaws, the public-school coach who delivered the mass e-mail concluded with this little gem:
As you can see, these potential bylaws could help level the playing field between public and private schools across the state.

Public schools are back to the canard of "private school advantage" and a need for "leveling the playing field?"

It's long overdue to tell the IHSA to fu*k off once and for all.

And in 3A boys soccer, only 1 private school made it as far as the sweet sixteen where they lost. What do you propose doing to rectify that travesty of justice?
This was an interesting discussion during the week but there's games going on now. You can start begging for sympathy again on Monday.

Reactions: mc140
What is the issue with that? I don't see any issue with that.

Benet pulls from a very large pool of athletes. They have 100,000s of thousands of people as does Naperville, Elgin, Hinsdale, Elmhurst, etc. Benet is appropriately placed in 3A for soccer.

1A State Champ Quincy Note Dame is not properly placed. Quincy has a population of 40,000 while the public opponents they defeated, Abingdon, Roanoke, Serena, Mendota, don't even have a combined population close to Quincy and a 25 mile radius.

Infact, look at 1A soccer, 13/16 teams were privates, mostly from suburbs. The public vs. private discrepancy is much worse at lower enrollment schools than higher enrollment schools because of the population/ pool of athletes. I guess schools that aren't successful should do a better job of advertising to get kids to enroll in their schools.

Let me add, in no way should the larger privates be punished for that success of the smaller privates.

Last edited:
does the 15 mile radius apply to the publics too? Bolingbrook who’s best players don’t live in the Brook? Morgan Park who’s studs are from Markham, Harvey, Richton Park, and Merriville?? What about CPS schools that students can test into from anywhere in Chicago?Or LWE who finds apartments for good players from Orland and Tinley? Let’s not get holier than thou on the privates.
You forgot about Naperville Central

Lol…. Couldn’t resist

So when a certain catholic all boys high school near Stony Island let’s an eighth grader work out with the team in their weight room, that’s not allowed?

Not allowed and unless it is a camp open to everyone, all the kids are paying and no members of the coaching discuss the school with the kids

Also, I’m pretty sure that more schools than the one on stony stony island do this.

Not allowed and unless it is a camp open to everyone, all the kids are paying and no members of the coaching discuss the school with the kids

Also, I’m pretty sure that more schools than the one on stony stony island do this.
No private schools on Stony Island.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I'm not going to reveal my source on this, nor will I cut, copy, and past the entire text from the e-mail I received, but I will lay bare one passage from the original message I obtained.

After summarizing the content of the proposed bylaws, the public-school coach who delivered the mass e-mail concluded with this little gem:

Public schools are back to the canard of "private school advantage" and a need for "leveling the playing field?"

It's long overdue to tell the IHSA to fu*k off once and for all.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do..... because that would be an absolute train wreck for the private schools

What is the issue with that? I don't see any issue with that.

Benet pulls from a very large pool of athletes. They have 100,000s of thousands of people as does Naperville, Elgin, Hinsdale, Elmhurst, etc. Benet is appropriately placed in 3A for soccer.

1A State Champ Quincy Note Dame is not properly placed. Quincy has a population of 40,000 while the public opponents they defeated, Abingdon, Roanoke, Serena, Mendota, don't even have a combined population close to Quincy and a 25 mile radius.

Infact, look at 1A soccer, 13/16 teams were privates, mostly from suburbs. The public vs. private discrepancy is much worse at lower enrollment schools than higher enrollment schools because of the population/ pool of athletes. I guess schools that aren't successful should do a better job of advertising to get kids to enroll in their schools.

Let me add, in no way should the larger privates be punished for that success of the smaller privates.
Agree that small school soccer is ridiculous. Mendota went 23-1 last year with a team that never would have been beaten against a true equal, only losing to eventual champion Althoff Catholic who draws around St. Louis area. This year it was QND although Mendota was not quite as dominant.

For football you’ve got IC, SF, JCA etc recruiting from population bases of over 100,000 people playing against schools with a population draw of 5,000-10,000 people.

It is what it is, I’m not complaining too much but it’s apples and oranges to compare small school privates that draw students from large metros vs small school publics who are land-locked and draw from populations less than 10,000 people.

With that said, I like a more aggressive success multiplier at the middle class level, but still enjoy having both privates and publics in the same playoff pool. Once you get higher up in class, the population density draws are much more even imo.

Please tell us what sports it is that EVERYONE cares about? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't count. Also, as it relates to this post any IHSA proposals regarding adjustments to private schools would effect ALL sports, not just football. No matter what sports they are 685 titles is damn impressive. The IHSA was founded in 1900 so if we assume the records date back to then HC has averaged 5.5 state titles per year over the course of 122 years.

They have not won anywhere close to 685 state titles, according to Wikipedia its around 106

They do a great job, great school.. but their success in the top 6 sports is probably below average,, but their demographics allow them to do very well in the country club sports..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT