ADVERTISEMENT

Amendment Proposals IHSA

The Altamont principal really wants seasons shortened in multiple sports. I have never heard of that school before.

The Altamont principal really wants seasons shortened in multiple sports. I have never heard of that school before.
I think some spring sports just had that done not too long ago, and it was then switched back. I don't think they deserve to have shortened seasons or reduced games. Maybe that school really struggles with numbers, athletes between sports, etc...the rationale is odd

discuss

Proposal 3....private school radius down to 15 miles instead of 30 (with an exception)
Proposal 4....make sure you live in IL....

Propkosals 5 and 6 on transferring

Proposal 8....No recruiting!

Proposal 12...add week 0 vs another opponent

Proposal 21...football regions
Is the proposed 15 mile radius a solution in search of a problem?

The safety issue given as rationale is laughable.

Proposal 3;The 15 mile rule would be a killer for private schools. Many would not be able to keep their doors open with this change.

Proposal 4 doesnt make any sense either.
Mount Carmel has a very loyal alumni base. I'm guessing a lot of the legacy students come from more than 15 miles. Legacy students coming from the South suburbs are not going to going to go to Marian Catholic if it’s closer or to Marist or Brother Rice for that matter. It’s not just a Catholic High School education, it’s that school I’d want my son to go to. My girls went to Benet and my wife taught at Illinois Benedictine. It was just over 21 miles door to door. Is someone saying they would be barred from attending the school of their choice? I don’t think that is constitutional.

I'm getting a kick out of the recruitment one too. I know 230 loses lots of kids to privates...but this is basically saying coaches/ADs can't talk to club personnel about kids, is that right? Because people from club/travel are being hired by schools or vice versa to sway where kids are going?

Even if passsed, people would just forge addresses to get around it.
Disagree. If it passes, that would be the straw that leads at least Chicagoland private schools to leave the IHSA. They know that would significantly alter their ability to remain open and viable for most schools, so they just couldn’t tolerate it.

I don’t think it will pass because it would likely lead to a reshuffle of the deck and most northern Illinois private schools forming their own association with unlimited distances.

multipliers and success factors are things to debate about. This is something that would be an existential issue for most Chicagoland private schools.

I’m hyper-focused with my .02 here…

This really wouldn’t affect Carmel Catholic (radius being reduced). They’re the only catholic school in Lake County that is also an associate member of the IHSA (I believe this is correct).

And then you have the ‘legacy’ call-out as previously posted. Many CC alums send their kids to Carmel from all over the map. I know families in WI that send their kids there (CC alums).

Why can't private schools stay open if the rule is changed to 15 miles? Are you saying that sports is the biggest reason why these schools are open?
No legacy students keep many schools open. Even if football was banned in all of Illinois the privates would stay open. Ban students from more that 15 miles several would close.

They can propose all they want, these will never pass, at least the ones they realize will lead to school closures. If any of them pass, in particular the mile radius and State residency, the headache that each one of the board members know that will follow will be unbearable for them. I do love how they lead the mile radius proposal by playing “For safety of the students” card.

They can propose all they want, these will never pass, at least the ones they realize will lead to school closures. If any of them pass, in particular the mile radius and State residency, the headache that each one of the board members know that will follow will be unbearable for them. I do love how they lead of the mile radius with the playing “For safety of the students” card.
Why would schools close? This only has to due with student athletes. If a student, legacy or otherwise, wants to attend MC, for example, from literally anywhere then nothing is stopping them. Should they choose to participate in a sport then there would be an issue.

This doesn't apply to every student, just athletics.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Why would schools close? This only has to due with student athletes. If a student, legacy or otherwise, wants to attend MC, for example, from literally anywhere then nothing is stopping them. Should they choose to participate in a sport then there would be an issue.

If a school only has 200 to 500 students and you suddenly tell 20 to 40 percent of them they can’t play competitive soccer or cross country or basketball anymore then if even 40 percent of that grouping say “well I don’t want to miss out on the ability to compete” then you have an existential issue because of kids not being able to access the whole high school experience. Simple enough

They can propose all they want, these will never pass, at least the ones they realize will lead to school closures. If any of them pass, in particular the mile radius and State residency, the headache that each one of the board members know that will follow will be unbearable for them. I do love how they lead the mile radius proposal by playing “For safety of the students” card.
Well if the teacher unions want to kill Charter and Private Schools in Chicago this would be a good way to go about it. It's also the mentality everyone should get a trophy. If the IHSA had just left the 8 classes alone, 7 and 8A would be guaranteed to go to a public school. But they also wanted to guarantee the classes 5 and 6 would be public winners too. Moving 4, 5, 6 privates into 7 and 8A didn't work out they way they wanted it.

I'm getting a kick out of the recruitment one too. I know 230 loses lots of kids to privates...but this is basically saying coaches/ADs can't talk to club personnel about kids, is that right? Because people from club/travel are being hired by schools or vice versa to sway where kids are going?
Further - it specifies "FOR PROFIT" organizations. This is curious, and very intentional. For football - an organization like BOOM 7v7, Throw it Deep, QB One and Next Level are all LLCs, for profit organizations, so high school ADs and Coaches would not be allowed to talk with Boom representatives.

Conversely, BGYFL is a non-profit youth football league. Youth coaches and admin would be allowed to talk to high school coaches about players. So feeder programs would not be affected.

Reactions: gobears25

There is a large amount of students that attend schools like MC, Rita, and Rice that travel from over 15 miles (Mount Greenwood to MC is almost 15 miles) and most of them participate in Sports, whether they excel in that sport, or coming off the bench, they participate, it’s strongly encouraged and essential for many college resumes to have participation. From Football to Badminton I would say 70% of MC and other schools students participate and enjoy participating in athletics. You remove the students that live over 15 miles away or come in from IN, that’s well over 100 students, and that would very well close the doors to many schools.

If a school only has 200 to 500 students and you suddenly tell 20 to 40 percent of them they can’t play competitive soccer or cross country or basketball anymore then if even 40 percent of that grouping say “well I don’t want to miss out on the ability to compete” then you have an existential issue because of kids not being able to access the whole high school experience. Simple enough
I don't know private school demographics as well as you so this is an honest question. Using your numbers lets split the difference. Say a school has 350 kids and there are 30% that can't complete in sports due to living outside of the proposed 15 mile radius, are you saying that it is typical for 30% or, in this instance, 105 students (1/3 of the total attendance) that comes from beyond the 15 mile radius?

Remember the proposal also states that "if a student’s residence has 2 or fewer private schools within the 15-mile radius, the radius will be expanded to a 30-mile radius". Using an area I'm familiar with, JCA and Provi are less than 15 miles apart but I don't think there's any other private schools within a 15 miles of those two schools which would allow them both to keep the 30 mile radius.

In Illinois, would this rule have much of an effect outside of the southside of Chicago/south suburbs?

There is a large amount of students that attend schools like MC, Rita, and Rice that travel from over 15 miles (Mount Greenwood to MC is almost 15 miles) and most of them participate in Sports, whether they excel in that sport, or coming off the bench, they participate, it’s strongly encouraged and essential for many college resumes to have participation. From Football to Badminton I would say 70% of MC and other schools students participate and enjoy participating in athletics. You remove the students that live over 15 miles away or come in from IN, that’s well over 100 students, and that would very well close the doors to many schools.
Again, honest question, if 100 student athletes were not allowed to participate in sports at MC due to the new proposal and forced to go to a private school closer to home would the decline in students from 600 to 500 at MC have a great impact? I don't know their financial situation so I'm curious.

The point of the amendments is push most of the private schools out of the IHSA. I doubt they make the ballot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lion4Life01
That's my take on alot of these- we know most will not pass. But it's the process of putting these out there. Really get a vibe of where some schools are trying to push to. How far can the lever go.

I don't know private school demographics as well as you so this is an honest question. Using your numbers lets split the difference. Say a school has 350 kids and there are 30% that can't complete in sports due to living outside of the proposed 15 mile radius, are you saying that it is typical for 30% or, in this instance, 105 students (1/3 of the total attendance) that comes from beyond the 15 mile radius?

Remember the proposal also states that "if a student’s residence has 2 or fewer private schools within the 15-mile radius, the radius will be expanded to a 30-mile radius". Using an area I'm familiar with, JCA and Provi are less than 15 miles apart but I don't think there's any other private schools within a 15 miles of those two schools which would allow them both to keep the 30 mile radius.

In Illinois, would this rule have much of an effect outside of the southside of Chicago/south suburbs?
I think the percentage that participate and the percentage that it’s important to participate vary widely by school and location. Another truth is that as the size of a school shrinks, which almost all have been shrinking recently, then the loss of just a few really hurts in those schools even being able to field an 11 person soccer/football team or a full cross country squad of 7 runners.

When you are only dealing with a few hundred kids, the prospect of losing any of those kids and their tuition revenue and their siblings revenue becomes a slow death by one thousand cuts. In a world of shrinking enrollment, it just speeds up the shrinking process.

Reactions: Gene K. and 4Afan
The point of the ammendments is push most of the private schools out of the IHSA. I doubt they make the ballot.
How sustainable is this for smaller sports? We hear the talk every year about private schools leaving the IHSA, but would this cause many private schools to drop the smaller sports? Leaving the IHSA likely wouldn't be an issue for football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and maybe a few others. How would this work for tennis, swimming, badminton, etc.? If they are outside the IHSA would they be able to compete against schools in the IHSA? What about smaller private schools that don't offer some of these sports? How would the larger private schools be able to fill a schedule for the smaller sports if the amount of schools that offer these sports is severely limited?

Again, honest question, if 100 student athletes were not allowed to participate in sports at MC due to the new proposal and forced to go to a private school closer to home would the decline in students from 600 to 500 at MC have a great impact? I don't know their financial situation so I'm curious.
I’m no expert on MC finances but assuming tuition is 15K just a guess. That’s 1.5 million in revenue lost losing 100 kids. I’m guessing that’s a killer for just about every Catholic school.

How sustainable is this for smaller sports? We hear the talk every year about private schools leaving the IHSA, but would this cause many private schools to drop the smaller sports? Leaving the IHSA likely wouldn't be an issue for football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and maybe a few others. How would this work for tennis, swimming, badminton, etc.? If they are outside the IHSA would they be able to compete against schools in the IHSA? What about smaller private schools that don't offer some of these sports? How would the larger private schools be able to fill a schedule for the smaller sports if the amount of schools that offer these sports is severely limited?
I would imagine private schools would still schedule willing public schools in regular season contests. Post seasons would be different and enrollment boundaries would be entirely lifted.

I assume tennis would leave just like basketball and soccer and there would be a state tennis series for private schools

Further - it specifies "FOR PROFIT" organizations. This is curious, and very intentional. For football - an organization like BOOM 7v7, Throw it Deep, QB One and Next Level are all LLCs, for profit organizations, so high school ADs and Coaches would not be allowed to talk with Boom representatives.

Conversely, BGYFL is a non-profit youth football league. Youth coaches and admin would be allowed to talk to high school coaches about players. So feeder programs would not be affected.
You football coaches talk to High School Coaches about players all the time. Don't know how your gonna stop that.

You football coaches talk to High School Coaches about players all the time. Don't know how your gonna stop that.
I think this one may have been more targeted to baseball/softball/basketball...majority of the club/travel scene in those are definitely for-profit only and would fall under this proposed rationale

A huge one. That’s 100
Tuitions out the door. Don’t forget that MC flirted with the idea of allowing girls to attend early this summer before it was wisely shut down after a overwhelming negative response from the MC community.

That's my point - the youth feeder programs would be allowed to continue as is. It's talking to the "Skills" programs that are for profit, which some programs do, I assume.

At the end of the day, there is no sheriff out there enforcing regulations. It's up to the AD to be a person of integrity, and relied upon to run their organizations in the prescribed manner. The only way programs get caught is by ADs self-reporting, or the IHSA conducting an audit (which takes time and money).

Reactions: Panthers1211
Why can't private schools stay open if the rule is changed to 15 miles? Are you saying that sports is the biggest reason why these schools are open?
No, but at JCA 75% of the student body plays a sport therefore if you want to play a high school sport and live more than 15 miles from JCA, you cant attend that school. Its silly.

What is the purpose of the amendment? To keep the privates from winning so often? Do public school coaches recruit???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT