ADVERTISEMENT

WWS and MC fans

Wheaton North

High tide raises all boats chasing North will be good for the Tigers, kids are already trying to get other kids in the school to play football next year using beat North as a selling point.

Plus WWS having 7 state titles and WN with 4 would be pretty cool for the city itself, there is a lot good football played around here even St Francis has 1 title.

Rita all day. Rivals but respectful ones. I personally know about 10 players and their families on Rita’s team and I would be a lousy friend to root against them. I know nobody on WN.....now who do I think will win? I don’t know yet
St Rita w/o a doubt
I can say the same in MC’s 16 times

2006 MC played WWS in the finals before SR played Lake Zurich. The SR players formed a tunnel and cheered the MC players on as they entered the Field. The conflict is only on a Friday night between 730 and 945 pm. A lot of these kids went the grade school together. There was a big game at SR when Lynch was QB. The SouthTown put out a 8 page supplement which highlighted all the kids who played on St. Christina on both MC and SR. When Lynch was stopped on the goal line on a 4th and one one of his tacklers was a buddy he went to grad school with. Great stuff for them to talk about for years to come.

Here's my last SR / MC story. Steve Filer and Darius Fleming were two of the best players to come out the CCL. They both played at ND. When Filer had a career ending ACL injury Darius traded his number in and played with Filer's number to honor him while starting at LB for ND.

Rita, Leo, Rice, and Carmel were the four horsemen of South-Side Catholic League football. Out there in the glossy suburbs, Loyola didn't count.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
St. Rita all the way. Coming from an MC family I was perfectly content when my nephews chose St. Rita. Same great rich traditions and St. Rita runs a classy operation at 77th and western. As @McCaravan said, having many friends with kids playing there how can you possibly root against them? Besides, it’s nice to say your school beat the eventual state champion. Wish them nothing but the best.

Now, if only one other school and alumnae fan base would start showing a little more class we’d have piece on earth this holiday season.

• Love
Reactions: RockSoup
Rita, Leo, Rice, and Carmel were the four horsemen of South-Side Catholic League football. Out there in the glossy suburbs, Loyola didn't count.
I think it's a generation thing. To me Mendel and Loyola part of the big 5. Rice just just started a varsity schedule when I was in 7th grade. When I went to Rice I always thought of my Grandmother. Her grave was out there. Same with St. Laurence. I never got to play against them but did watch a JV game as a senior vs them.

As a Glenbard North fan I'm rooting for WN (and went to the BR game to root for them) they are neighbors and conference mates. I can't even think of a situation of when I would root for the Catholic school, they have the recruiting advantage so always pull for the public schools especially those who haven't won state before-like GN unfortunately!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT