ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita Playing up in 7A

tomloner

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2004
Chicago
Last year St. Rita only had three losses but they where to #1 MC (2) and #2 LA. St. Rita has petitioned the IHSA to play up in the 7A class which would again put them up against #1 MC if St. Rita qualifies for the playoffs

Last edited:
I don’t get it. Can one of my Cascia friends on the board fill me in?

I don’t get it. Can one of my Cascia friends on the board fill me in?
I am surprised, but it is what it is. Rita has been 7A for a long time now, so they're most familiar with it. She is familiar with the DuKane teams, and probably feel confident against the northern suburban teams like the Prospect's, Rolling Meadow's and Hersey's of the world.

I like the fact that it's 1 - 32 seeding, unlike 6A.

What worries me is an early matchup against a rival school like MC and BR. But, that goes both ways.

In the end, kudos to Cascia for petitioning up.

It would've been interesting to see how Rita would've done in 6A with ESL-PC and CG.

I think there would've been a solid chance that Rita would've ended up in that Northern bracket, thus avoiding ESL until the championship game.

Having typed that, I think LZ and Cary Grove still would've been tough matchups for Rita.
This CG homer doesn’t think that match up would be as good as advertised. Not this year.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
I am surprised, but it is what it is. Rita has been 7A for a long time now, so they're most familiar with it. She is familiar with the DuKane teams, and probably feel confident against the northern suburban teams like the Prospect's, Rolling Meadow's and Hersey's of the world.

I like the fact that it's 1 - 32 seeding, unlike 6A.

What worries me is an early matchup against a rival school like MC and BR. But, that goes both ways.

In the end, kudos to Cascia for petitioning up.

It would've been interesting to see how Rita would've done in 6A with ESL-PC and CG.
Good news all away around. Hopkins is taking all the necessary steps to get the boys ready to battle. Im loving this move!

Glad to see it. I've always admired St Rita and dreaded playing them.

Their stadium is a nightmare, but then ...

Reactions: RockSoup
Has MC ever petitioned up for football? I'm pretty sure they have for wrestling

I am probably in the minority, but I love the move. IMO, better to lose to the best team (MC), who is your historical rival, than win a 6A title.

Reactions: MC63
I am probably in the minority, but I love the move. IMO, better to lose to the best team (MC), who is your historical rival, than win a 6A title.
St. Rita would not win the 6A title. Ever since they got hammered by Rochester in the 5A playoffs four years ago, they are wary about playing southern football powers. They would easily be a 17-point underdog to East St. Louis in 6A. They probably thought it prudent to avoid such a game.

uh what? I dont think there would be a single st rita player, coach or parent who, if given the choice, would choose to lose to MC in 7A as opposed to winning a state championship in 6a.

St. Rita would not win the 6A title. Ever since they got hammered by Rochester in the 5A playoffs four years ago, they are wary about playing southern football powers. They would easily be a 17-point underdog to East St. Louis in 6A. They probably thought it prudent to avoid such a game.
So they petition up to play the team that just beat ESL? That’s what they call twisted logic.

uh what? I dont think there would be a single st rita player, coach or parent who, if given the choice, would choose to lose to MC in 7A as opposed to winning a state championship in 6a.
Agreed!!! Kids these days hear the world title, which could be a needle mover for a southside program that is competing w/ other rivals for the same kids. If riva1 #1 loses in 7/8A quarterfinal but I win 6A title..i won state and they didn't which is a fact..spin or not

I think there would've been a solid chance that Rita would've ended up in that Northern bracket, thus avoiding ESL until the championship game.

Having typed that, I think LZ and Cary Grove still would've been tough matchups for Rita.
Yep, likely 6A North w/ Kenwood in round 2 and LZ/CG/Geneva/Dons later on. South is tough before ESL pops up ( Kankakee/Provi/Washington)

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
Has MC ever petitioned up for football? I'm pretty sure they have for wrestling
Big difference between the two sports. There is an enormous difference between competivness in 2A and 3A wrestling, there are definitely some competitive 2A teams but the lions share of competition is at 3A, both at the team and even more so at the individual level competition. As much as people enjoy the team duel, for the wrestler it’s all about the individual title fist, that’s what gets you the college scholarship money and recognition. In football the 7A level is extremely competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: stl705 and MS4EVER
As my mom would say “you’re talking like a man with a paper a$$!”

Big difference between the two sports. There is an enormous difference between competivness in 2A and 3A wrestling, there are definitely some competitive 2A teams but the lions share of competition is at 3A, both at the team and even more so at the individual level competition. As much as people enjoy the team duel, for the wrestler it’s all about the individual title fist, that’s what gets you the college scholarship money and recognition. In football the 7A level is extremely competitive.
I wasn't asking for a lesson on the differences between the two sports, I was asking if MC had petitioned up in football. It's a yes or no question.

I wasn't asking for a lesson on the differences between the two sports, I was asking if MC had petitioned up in football. It's a yes or no question.
But you did bring up that they petitioned up for wrestling so I was explaining why they do for wrestling and not for football and there is a big difference between the two. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

But you did bring up that they petitioned up for wrestling so I was explaining why they do for wrestling and not for football and there is a big difference between the two. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
Not really. If anything, I would say that's a lot of reasoning instead of just saying "no, they have not." Which would have been fine, since that is all I was curious about

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT