ADVERTISEMENT

Will week-long heat wave affect Week 1?

rink62221

Jan 17, 2019
With the state in the midst of a week-long heat wave, I wonder how many games will have to be moved or canceled this weekend.
In the St. Louis-region, we're supposed to have a high of 97 with a heat index of 107 on Friday.
You might be playing with people's lives in that weather.
Maybe some games will be moved to Saturday when it's 92 with an index of 97.

I killed my own Ac on Sunday weed-whacking ... by noon, it was 79 inside and at 4:00, it was 92.

Stayed at a buddie's home ... then got service at 8:15 AM yesterday and it finally got down to 72 at 9:00 PM.

Bigger question is how practices will be impacted the next few days.
I know of a few schools that have started practicing in the mornings..... Question. What do they do in Texas, Ga, Bama, fl. etc when its hot? The weather we are having is the norm down there.

Pinckneyville vs Red Bud, Waterloo vs Mt. Vernon and Belleville East vs Collinsville have already moved to Saturday.

I feel like for most northern-ish schools that don't have CPS-type stadium challenges, they should be OK with having games Friday night. Emphasis on NIGHT. Still gonna be hot, but if the kickoff is at or around sunset, the worst will be over and as long as the kids hydrate and get enough potassium, they'll be all right. In my neck of the woods I'm seeing highs of 99 tomorrow, 100 on Thursday, and 91 on Friday. Big difference between hot and unbearably hot.
Could be an issue for the smaller schools who aren't as deep and need kids to go both ways, though a lot of them are more comfortable with Saturday games anyway due to lack of lights, need to share officials, etc. I also would expect to see cancellations/postponements of the freshman/sophomore/JV games that are normally played at 5:00 on Fridays, because those will be much tougher for younger kids and smaller squads.

I killed my own Ac on Sunday weed-whacking ... by noon, it was 79 inside and at 4:00, it was 92.

Stayed at a buddie's home ... then got service at 8:15 AM yesterday and it finally got down to 72 at 9:00 PM.
And I thought chopping my buried cable with a shovel on Saturday was a smooth move. That’s a good one.

Hydrate, hydrate,hydrate!

I was going to come here with one of the standard "everyone is dealing with the same thing, so it should all equal out" posts.

Then, while looking at the CPL schedule, I see Taft is traveling to Crown Point Indiana to take on a 6A power playing their second game of the season. With IHSA teams opening this week, it is a challenge. Now, CPS says no outdoor activities until Thursday. I have not checked, but I'm guessing Crown Point schools aren't saying the same thing...

Now if this game was on Thursday at 3:30...

Reactions: thecpsblog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT