ADVERTISEMENT

Will Samson Evans be considered one of the greatest of all time?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Was asked this a few days ago....and it's a pretty good question as well.

Every era has it's greatest of all time players....will Samson Evans performance over the past few seasons put him in rarified air as one of the greatest IHSA football players of all time?

Please be respectful and discuss....

Evans finished the quest

Last edited:
Greatest what? Football player? Quarterback? Running back? Not sure what you are asking?

Runs the table junior and senior year, semi's his soph season, crazy snow game at Montini.

Unquestionably the best player on the team all three years. There are very few situations where the opposition game plans solely against one player. The only way to beat them is to limit him, and no one could.

Thumbs up from me.

Reactions: Gene K.
Was asked this a few days ago....and it's a pretty good question as well.

Every era has it's greatest of all time players....will Samson Evans performance over the past few seasons put him in rarified air as one of the greatest IHSA football players of all time?

Please be respectful and discuss....

Evans finished the quest
He is close to a Laquon Treadwell. Would be interesting to see what the Cary fans say since they faced both players. Evans is up there but unless he can make it to playing on Sundays I don't think he is quite at that level.

As a high school football player he is definitely in the conversation. Very similar high school career to MS great Matt Perez. So yes he gets my vote.

Reactions: Bowie50
He is close to a Laquon Treadwell. Would be interesting to see what the Cary fans say since they faced both players. Evans is up there but unless he can make it to playing on Sundays I don't think he is quite at that level.
What a disappointment he has been in the NFL. I really thought and I'm sure Minny thought he was going to be spectacular!

He is clearly one of the best HIGH SCHOOL football players this state has ever produced.

Reactions: Hillini74
Top 50 for sure. Top 10, probably not. Wonder what pos. he will play at Iowa.

I would be curious to see how he would do against the Beast. I think not so good.

Reactions: jsoulis
Most will consider him one of the best. PR scored 2047 points 15-16-17 41 games 49.9 ppg. Take out defensive scores, second team scores and time Samson was on the bench during a blowout or injury, the offense scored 1845 points with Evans in the game over that time. He played enough minutes to equal about 32 games. Fake stat but 57.6 ppg with Evans in the game. This is as accurate as I could be.

What a disappointment he has been in the NFL. I really thought and I'm sure Minny thought he was going to be spectacular!

not a disappointment!! He's a 4th option (Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Run Game). He showed flashes. If they were to trade him to a team where he could play then watch out (Cowboys, Bears, Pats, etc)

Easy to say hard to claim. No one has stopped him.

He gets my vote For one of the top 20 HIgh School players but I will echo Jcrewz sentiments - He didn’t have to face some of the toughest defenses of 7A and 8A to get a little better read on it. Lake Zurich this year? Batavia? Beast? LA? MS?

Reactions: Gene K.
He gets my vote For one of the top 20 HIgh School players but I will echo Jcrewz sentiments - He didn’t have to face some of the toughest defenses of 7A and 8A to get a little better read on it. Lake Zurich this year? Batavia? Beast? LA? MS?
Those schools also have a 7A or 8A pool of talent to draw from to make up those defenses. If PR was 8A they would also have that larger pool of talent to draw from on offense to make that a fair analogy.

Reactions: Relist8
I believe the question posed was "one of the greatest players of all time". Not top 10, top 20, top 100. With the performances he put up in his designated class and competition, I say yes. Funny how folks have throw in the but, but, but...

Reactions: Relist8
Top 50 for sure. Top 10, probably not. Wonder what pos. he will play at Iowa.

I'd agree with this. I say top 50ish. I think in this conversation a lot of us forget about the dominate defensive players. It's easy to make a memorable name as an offensive stud, but when you consider the fact we are talking - football players - i say no.

Just simply off the cuff, hard to put him same level in HS as:

McNabb
Randle El
Simenon RIce
Matt Perez
Alstott

That list above probably includes another ten guys are so. And while some of them played in the NFL, to me, that is irrelevant. I think these guys were the greatest.

I think the next tier lower is the one that really gets interesting.Were guys like sampson more impactful, better football players than treadwell, Love from Naz? go back some years and think about players like Jon Schweighardt from WWS...he was impossible to over in HS. Then of course Bryan Cox from Flyer...

IMO, this tier is considered simply outstanding or something...The real debate is whether he belongs here, IMO. The kid was dynamite, but just doesn't feel right comparing him to a guy like Rice or Randle El.

To me, Sampson fits one lower level..and please, this is not a knock. I compare him to the greats like wade weyer from Rita or Mike Stokes from Joliet West. These dudes were incredible, close to unstoppable, but still in the grand scheme, when we talk best ever....I think we need to really consider the fact that a number of people in the past played equally as great...so you have to get knit-picky.

Evans hands down one of the best players in state history. Period. Amen.

That team took down some giants... Ended the Montini run of 7 consecutive state title games with 7 touchdowns, then beat SHG at state. Next year he took care of Cary Grove twice, beat Naz in the state finals game.

2 state titles, division 1 recruit, multiple all conf/ all state.

In general, it seems very difficult to make comparisons among athletes of the current media-saturated era with those of decades past. The achievements of the latter are just not so widely known to help their legends grow. Nevertheless, Evans was one special competitor.

Reactions: caravan8
He's a great player for sure but I have a hard time putting him in the best category when they only play 3-4 tough games a year.

Reactions: dtlove3434
He's a great player for sure but I have a hard time putting him in the best category when they only play 3-4 tough games a year.

You pretty much have to eliminate 98% of the schools then, including Naz and Montini. Cannot be a factor...

He did exactly what he was supposed to do, win. Funny how NFL quarterbacks aren't considered great unless they win a Super Bowl and you get a kid who takes him team to 28-0 over 2 seasons and he can't be considered one of the greatest because the competition sucked. Take his cape away. It only belongs to those who play in 7 and 8A.

He did exactly what he was supposed to do, win. Funny how NFL quarterbacks aren't considered great unless they win a Super Bowl and you get a kid who takes him team to 28-0 over 2 seasons and he can't be considered one of the greatest because the competition sucked. Take his cape away. It only belongs to those who play in 7 and 8A.

He's one of the best to play in our state. The numbers bear that out. Hard to argue with two state titles 28 consecutive wins, and the numbers he has put up. And think about it, his sophomore year, his numbers were equally as silly. Just because the kid didn't play in the CCL Blue or one of the other power conferences shouldn't diminish his standing as one of the states best.

If you want to gauge him vs good competition, here are some of his numbers against traditional powers

6 TDS vs. Montini - over 200 yards rushing
4 TDS vs SHG 274 yards rushing
3 TDS vs Naz 155 yards rushing

These were all neutral site games. All playoff games.

2100 plus yards rushing his junior year
2100 plus yards rushing senior year

40 rushing TDs junior year - 56 total
38 rushing TDs senior year - 48 total.

So in two years he rushed for over 4,200 yards and accounted for 104 touchdowns. I cant dig up his sophomore year stats but I know he was right at 2000 yards that season as well and close to 40 TD's.

So if we average this out, he has rushed for over 6,000 yards and 140 plus TD's accounted for.

Sorry but if this isn't one of the states best, I must be missing something.

And one last thing. He is second all time in rushing Touchdowns in state history and top 7 in rushing yards.

Reading is fundamental.

I read fine.

My point was is he a quarterback? a running back? a quarterback who runs? a running back who passes?

I think the answer to each question is no he is not the greatest of all time - Antoine Randle El.to me is the best

Is he a great player, yes. Did he drive Prairie Ridge to two titles, yes But I think they had a few other players that helped as well.

I am in agreement with everything JCHilltoppers said. JC - Well stated.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I read fine.

My point was is he a quarterback? a running back? a quarterback who runs? a running back who passes?

I think the answer to each question is no he is not the greatest of all time - Antoine Randle El.to me is the best

Is he a great player, yes. Did he drive Prairie Ridge to two titles, yes But I think they had a few other players that helped as well.

I am in agreement with everything JCHilltoppers said. JC - Well stated.

The question was - "One of the greatest of all time?" Not the greatest of all time.

I'd agree with this. I say top 50ish. I think in this conversation a lot of us forget about the dominate defensive players. It's easy to make a memorable name as an offensive stud, but when you consider the fact we are talking - football players - i say no.

Just simply off the cuff, hard to put him same level in HS as:

McNabb
Randle El
Simenon RIce
Matt Perez
Alstott

That list above probably includes another ten guys are so. And while some of them played in the NFL, to me, that is irrelevant. I think these guys were the greatest.

I think the next tier lower is the one that really gets interesting.Were guys like sampson more impactful, better football players than treadwell, Love from Naz? go back some years and think about players like Jon Schweighardt from WWS...he was impossible to over in HS. Then of course Bryan Cox from Flyer...

IMO, this tier is considered simply outstanding or something...The real debate is whether he belongs here, IMO. The kid was dynamite, but just doesn't feel right comparing him to a guy like Rice or Randle El.

To me, Sampson fits one lower level..and please, this is not a knock. I compare him to the greats like wade weyer from Rita or Mike Stokes from Joliet West. These dudes were incredible, close to unstoppable, but still in the grand scheme, when we talk best ever....I think we need to really consider the fact that a number of people in the past played equally as great...so you have to get knit-picky.

Would you put him at the same level as those above if he goes on to be an NFL safety/lb?

Tough to compare players from different generations and state unequivocally one person is the best or not. He’s definitely one of the best in the past 10 years. Football has been played in Illinois for 100 years and each generation has their “best” players and fans are partial to their generations stars.

For those stating that we have to see how he pans out on Saturdays & possibly Sunday, I think that’s a totally different question. Being an all time great HS player doesn’t depend on NCAA or NFL success. McNabb is no doubt the best QB to ever come out of MC, however many believe that McGrew was the best MC QB under Lenti. Just didn’t have the career that McNabb had after high school.

Here is how I look at it. Situation have a lot to do with the success of a player when looking at a career. I personally look specifically at talent level. Switch Evans with Bailey (BB), Fussell (LWE) didn't look up correct spelling, Broadner (GBW) and the kid from Libertyville two years ago. I believe the results would be very similar for each one of those players if they all swapped their careers. Based on that, how can he be one of the best and the others not mentioned. The kid from Montini QB 2015 was special as well.

I personally rank guys like Jackson GBN, Jeff Thomas ESL, Terry Hawthorne ESL, Matt Perez MS, etc ahead of him because they impacted both sides of the ball at a very high level. I can't forget to mention the lineman from Main South last year.

He's like the Tim Tebow of HS Football. Probably one of the best careers/performances especially when it mattered the most, but not necessarily renowned for his position at the next level. Don't forget his punt/kick return abilities. Just a great football player.
I would say he deserves to be considered one of the greatest of all time.

Reactions: Gene K. and Relist8
Here is how I look at it. Situation have a lot to do with the success of a player when looking at a career. I personally look specifically at talent level. Switch Evans with Bailey (BB), Fussell (LWE) didn't look up correct spelling, Broadner (GBW) and the kid from Libertyville two years ago. I believe the results would be very similar for each one of those players if they all swapped their careers. Based on that, how can he be one of the best and the others not mentioned. The kid from Montini QB 2015 was special as well.

I personally rank guys like Jackson GBN, Jeff Thomas ESL, Terry Hawthorne ESL, Matt Perez MS, etc ahead of him because they impacted both sides of the ball at a very high level. I can't forget to mention the lineman from Main South last year.
Jarvis. Large human being. I've said this multiple times but I've never seen a high school OL with a more NFL ready body than him.

ESL's Chris Moore, Althoff's Hickey Thompson and Highland's "Touchdown" Billy Greenwald must be in the "all-time" discussion for HIGH SCHOOL players. This is not about their college or pro careers.

We often times look at the most recent (except the Jordan argument) when determining the "all-time" status of anything.

All.... Trying to quantify who does and doesn't make a list like this is difficult. Should only the higher classes be the barometer.? What about players who have had eye popping success in all the other classes?

I have a name that came to mind when I saw this thread. The current head coach (and former SHG QB) of Centralia H.S. Bobby Brennheisen. Went 9-0 both as a freshman and sophomore and then led the Cyclones in 2005 and 2006 to 28 straight wins and two 5A titles.

His stats going into those title games.

2005 .... 199-293 2,893 yards 35 tds (10 int) Rushing 105-345 6tds
2006 .... 180-268 2,830 yards 37 tds (5 int) Rushing 67-288 5tds

One of the best of all time...probably not. (I really can't say, lived in PA for a stretch).

One of the best in the last decade or so... Yes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT