ADVERTISEMENT

Will Samson Evans be considered one of the greatest of all time?

I worked with a guy who played against Butkus and with him at U of I.

I was told that every story you hear about his toughness cannot fully explain how tough, mean and nasty Butkus really was - "father-raper tough," to borrow from Arlo Guthrie.

Reactions: Gene K.
I would be curious to see how he would do against the Beast. I think not so good.
I kind of agree with this. Yes, PR plays a number of 8A teams each year, but they are not playing top tier programs like, MS, LWE, LA, etc. I am curious as to how he would do against the very top teams in the state.

I think an advantage Evans has over other greats is the ball is always in his hands.

How would you compare the great Morris RB, Dergo from years ago to Evans as top players in the state??

I kind of agree with this. Yes, PR plays a number of 8A teams each year, but they are not playing top tier programs like, MS, LWE, LA, etc. I am curious as to how he would do against the very top teams in the state.
We're talking about the player, not the team. So if you put Evans on a team like MS and go up against LWE, does he perform the same, better? It's all relative.

I think if you’re good it doesn’t matter who you play against. He hasn’t exactly faced 0-9 teams every week. Some of his very best performances were against some of the best teams in 6A 7A and 8A. Sure he didn’t face Maine South or LWE. But if we are going to use that as a primary measuring stick, then that all-time great list in this state will be very small.

I think if you’re good it doesn’t matter who you play against. He hasn’t exactly faced 0-9 teams every week. Some of his very best performances were against some of the best teams in 6A 7A and 8A. Sure he didn’t face Maine South or LWE. But if we are going to use that as a primary measuring stick, then that all-time great list in this state will be very small.

PR and E'ville played Huntley. Do you feel Evans performance against Huntley is more impressive than E'ville QB performance against Huntley in the first round of the playoffs? I think their performance were equally impressive from outstanding athletes. I can't definitely say that Evans is a better football player or athlete than E'villes QB.

To me this discussion is similar to the best team in the state. Too many good players to single out one of the best.

You are looking at it through the wrong lens.

Here's how you need to look at it: If Samson Evans is on MS or LA, do they beat LWE? I say they have a better shot with him than without, and feel he could have put either over the top.

You are looking at it through the wrong lens.

Here's how you need to look at it: If Samson Evans is on MS or LA, do they beat LWE? I say they have a better shot with him than without, and feel he could have put either over the top.
I want to say that Boyle was the best dual threat quarterback we faced this season and was absolutely slaying us in the third quarter. Things did not work out, but he was their best chance. Is Superman a better QB? I don't see it.

We're talking about the player, not the team. So if you put Evans on a team like MS and go up against LWE, does he perform the same, better? It's all relative.
Good point. I think it's interesting to ponder these hypothetical scenarios.

Ok Newt, then clarify the question, One of the 10 greatest? One of the 100 Greatest?

Regardless, the question had been answered here:(even though it is 5 years old)
http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/who-are-greatest-history-illinois-high-school-football

So looking at the list above, I have to vote no.

Again it didn’t ask 10 100 or 1000. The question asked is he one of the greatest. One. If you don’t think he is not one of the 100 best this state has produced then I can’t help you - ever.

So his pro career is the only way to legitimize his high school success. I’ve learned a lot today.

One thing I’ve always noticed is guys that go on to have great college or pro careers always automatically become the greatest high school players in people’s minds even though many were just undeveloped potential at that point. The Evans kid as good as any player I have seen in any class.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I think Evans of course was great but really have no idea how I would rank him.

I think he may be one of those who might not look very good at Iowa playing another position. Hopefully I am wrong.

If he plays wide receiver in college then I think he would of been better off playing for a high school that runs the spread offense.

Time.will tell.

He's one of the best to play in our state. The numbers bear that out. Hard to argue with two state titles 28 consecutive wins, and the numbers he has put up. And think about it, his sophomore year, his numbers were equally as silly. Just because the kid didn't play in the CCL Blue or one of the other power conferences shouldn't diminish his standing as one of the states best.

If you want to gauge him vs good competition, here are some of his numbers against traditional powers

6 TDS vs. Montini - over 200 yards rushing
4 TDS vs SHG 274 yards rushing
3 TDS vs Naz 155 yards rushing

These were all neutral site games. All playoff games.

2100 plus yards rushing his junior year
2100 plus yards rushing senior year

40 rushing TDs junior year - 56 total
38 rushing TDs senior year - 48 total.

So in two years he rushed for over 4,200 yards and accounted for 104 touchdowns. I cant dig up his sophomore year stats but I know he was right at 2000 yards that season as well and close to 40 TD's.

So if we average this out, he has rushed for over 6,000 yards and 140 plus TD's accounted for.

Sorry but if this isn't one of the states best, I must be missing something.

And one last thing. He is second all time in rushing Touchdowns in state history and top 7 in rushing yards.

I hear you on the stats, newt. They certainly tell a story. I hate even debating this, but I actually think if you step back, the debate itself is a credit to the kid.

So...

I'll just use something close to home: His stats are better than Mike Alstott;s were, but he is not at the same level Mike was. All those stats mean zero if he played the competition mike did. Frankly, his stats make Mike look pedestrian. So that begs the question, was Mike pedestrian? The answer is obviously no. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that stats don't tell the tale.

I then think back to guys like Randle El, Corey Day, Dwayne Goodrich, Schwag from WWS...those dudes played some serious legit ball. How about Josh Ferguson from JCA and now on the colts.

Sampson was great, but not in the greatest ever category. But then again, I suppose one has to ask, how many people do you put in that pool? 100? I do not think he was a top 100 player. Back, yeah, probably. But not player. If we went on stats and championships, I have to put Cristopherson from Lockport in that same league. I'm unwilling to do that.

Much props to the kid though, count me in as a big fan. I certainly did not have that ability.

Again it didn’t ask 10 100 or 1000. The question asked is he one of the greatest. One. If you don’t think he is not one of the 100 best this state has produced then I can’t help you - ever.

No you can’t. And don’t have to.

I see Bryan Cox name listed ... remember, this is about high school performance.

“For me going up to Chicago and beating Carl Sandburg in the quarterfinals was a big deal and then going to the state championship and winning the title at Illinois State. I even caught a touchdown pass while playing tight end in that game,” Cox said speaking of his national championship 1985 squad. “How good was that football team? Well, let me put it this way. At the time, I was probably the 20th best player on that team.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/article89759527.html#storylink=cpy

This is an interesting thread because of the pro or college success some guys have and others don’t. This argument brings to mind for me Greg Turner. He was the best small school player I ever saw. Dominated for three years at Driscoll...However at NIU he was a 3rd down receiver and punt returner. Would I still place him as one of the best high school players I ever saw play? Sure.

After reading both sides of the debate, I have come to my conclusion. Is Evans one of the state's best all-time high school football players?.....Probably

Where does Uncle Rico fit in? Never mind, that would be Idaho’s greatest players.

All.... Hickey Thompson - Althoff. Ratsy

Hickey Thompson was an amazing player but he played in 3A and as I’ve learned in this thread only players at big schools can be considered the greatest.

All kidding aside the guy was easily one of the all time best.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Yes he is.

The whole final I was thinking, "he's four yards guaranteed" on offense, and that punt return... I also had the luxury of watching a ton of PR film, and he dominated everyone but CG, and even there the was the winner. He's absolutely on par with Dergo, in terms of powering a team to greatness.

PR was a great team, but not a GOAT team. Evans is a GOAT ILHSFP

Last edited:
Reactions: Relist8
Runs the table junior and senior year, semi's his soph season, crazy snow game at Montini.

Unquestionably the best player on the team all three years. There are very few situations where the opposition game plans solely against one player. The only way to beat them is to limit him, and no one could.

Thumbs up from me.

As a guy from Iowa city who spends too much time on the Hawkeye board and posts occasionally but mostly lurks on this board, I thought I'd respond.

First of all, love Samson as a recruit . So happy we got him. Kid is just a great athlete, a warrior and a winner. I think someone implied he was battling through injuries this year. Anyway, first of all as to the question about what position he plays at Iowa it is without doubt WR. That has been very public and the fact that he wanted to stay on offense, but clearly he's not an "Iowa type" pro style QB. Personally I watch his tape and see All Big 10 safety all the way, but I'm not a coach.

Secondly, as to the comment to the point that he was "unquestionably the best player on the team all three years". That's probably true, but he was actually demoted from a 3* to a 2* on rivals recently. Imagine that from a kid we are arguing as one of the greatest in Illinois ever. And Iowa also landed his teammate OL Jeff Jenkins who is a 3*, so I suppose that is open to debate. Just thought I'd point out -- and I love the kid -- even after his great senior championship run he was downgraded to a 2* talent

Last edited:
But did he go pro? That's the question. If not, he wasn't great. According to what I'm hearing.
Right. You can be a great HS player and not go pro, or you could be like Clay Mathews who was just not very good in HS and only got offers from div. 1 and community colleges.

Man, I put the elder Randle-El above all. Guy was a magician. That said, I get both sides of the argument here. I think you can be one of the GOATs while playing in a class lower than 7A. At the same time Evans really didn't play one of the teams known for hard nosed stout D. Good teams no doubt, but defense specifically.

For example my favorite Bolingbrook runningback of all time was Dale Martin. Kid did some amazing things for 3 years, but it got a little bit tougher against LWE and WWS. He didn't look as great in those games outside of some flashes. Now Bailey on the other hand was able to perform against the LWE's and Loyola's and MC's. Not saying Evans couldn't, just saying I understand the argument.

Personally, I think you have to include the kid in the discussion. To quote the late great Bernie Mac when speaking to the unquestionable greatest movie basketball player of all time, Tom Shephard, "They can't erase what we were." You can't erase Samson's production.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT