ADVERTISEMENT

Will Samson Evans be considered one of the greatest of all time?

Hickey Thompson was an amazing player but he played in 3A and as I’ve learned in this thread only players at big schools can be considered the greatest.

All kidding aside the guy was easily one of the all time best.

Agreed. That Don Beebe guy who was allegedly good at, what? Tiny Kaneland? You really think that guy could have even started at Swag, LWE or LA?

Man, I put the elder Randle-El above all. Guy was a magician. That said, I get both sides of the argument here. I think you can be one of the GOATs while playing in a class lower than 7A. At the same time Evans really didn't play one of the teams known for hard nosed stout D. Good teams no doubt, but defense specifically.

For example my favorite Bolingbrook runningback of all time was Dale Martin. Kid did some amazing things for 3 years, but it got a little bit tougher against LWE and WWS. He didn't look as great in those games outside of some flashes. Now Bailey on the other hand was able to perform against the LWE's and Loyola's and MC's. Not saying Evans couldn't, just saying I understand the argument.

Personally, I think you have to include the kid in the discussion. To quote the late great Bernie Mac when speaking to the unquestionable greatest movie basketball player of all time, Tom Shephard, "They can't erase what we were." You can't erase Samson's production.
Did he ever end until playing at Louisville? Martin that is.

Then based on the brilliance of this thread he doesn’t qualify.

From the opening post in this thread: "" Every era has it's greatest of all time players....will Samson Evans performance over the past few seasons put him in rarified air as one of the greatest IHSA football players of all time?""

John Foley was the national USA Today Defensive Player of the Year and meets the criteria of the original post.. He does qualify and maybe the best all-time Illinois defensive player. If You want to expand the criteria to NFL career then Donavan McNabb wins that aspect.

Last edited:
From the opening post in this thread: "" Every era has it's greatest of all time players....will Samson Evans performance over the past few seasons put him in rarified air as one of the greatest IHSA football players of all time?""

John Foley was the national USA Today Defensive Player of the Year and meets the criteria of the original post.. He does qualify and maybe the best all-time Illinois defensive player. If You want to expand the criteria to NFL career then Donavan McNabb wins that aspect.

here are the best all-time - i am biased for pierre.
preston pearson, pierre thomas and most of all **rodney harrison**. stellar careers and most super bowl appearances. (best of both worlds) but, if you want to break it down(state champs/super bowl champs thayer/alstott)

all-time best Ihsa football players with most super bowl appearances and wins
Preston Pearson- Freeport High School graduate has the most appearances by an IHSA alum, as he played in five Super Bowls for three teams (Colts, Steelers, Cowboys), winning two.

**Rodney Harrison - Marian Catholic Harrison played strong safety for the San Diego Chargers and New England Patriots. 4 appearances, he was a winner of two Super Bowl rings. During his career, Harrison set and still holds the record for sacks by a defensive back, as well as becoming the first NFL player with 30 sacks and 30 interceptions.**

Pierre Thomas- T.F.South graduate -Thomas has rushed for 3,809 yards and 28 touchdowns in nine NFL seasons, eight of which were spent with the Saints. Thomas, who graduated in 2003, rushed for 5,565 yards and 88 touchdowns during a standout three-year career at T.F. South.
"All the battles we fought at T.F. South," Thomas said when asked what he remembered most about high school. "Playing Richards and finally beating them my senior year. That game meant so much."

Tom Thayer/Mike Alstott- Joliet Catholic Academy, the IHSA leader with 13 football state titles, has two honorees, both of whom were IHSA state champions and Super Bowl champions in 1985 Chicago Bear Tom Thayer and Tampa Bay Buccaneer standout Mike Alstott in 2003.

Mt Carmel- Super Bowls. group includes
Frank Cornish- Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowls XXVII and XXVIII
Simeon Rice- Tampa Bay 1 2003 appearance and win
Donovan McNabb- Philadelphia Eagles 1 appearance loss

Mike Tomczak (T.F. North), Andy Frederick (St. Joseph, Westchester), Emery Moorehead (Evanston), and Gary Fencik (Barrington) join Thayer as Illinois bred players who were part of Chicago Bears Super Bowl teams

Dave Smith - A 1983 T.F. South grad, Smith was a member of the 1988 Super Bowl XXIII runner-up Cincinnati Bengals. It was Smith's only season in the NFL.

From granite City, Kevin Darwin Greene is a former American football linebacker who played in the National Football League for 15 years. Greene retired after the 1999 NFL season and ranks third amongst all-time sack leaders, leading the NFL twice in that category.Wikipedia

Hall of Fame induction: 2016

I think you forgot Beebe. Think he played in 6 Superbowls.

Marian CC offensive lineman in Green Bay played in at least 2 Superbowls

I think you forgot Beebe. Think he played in 6 Superbowls.

Marian CC offensive lineman in Green Bay played in at least 2 Superbowls

yes you are correct
don beebe - kaneland 6super bowls 1 win. and good success as a hs coach.

add his name as i am not familiar. sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT