ADVERTISEMENT

What is the hallmark of a school's program?

Loyola Great Linebackers

Rochester Leonard Factor & High Octane Offense

Mt Carmel/JCA/PR Coaching & System

Naz/ESTL Coaching & Talent

SHG More Leonard

St Rita Tough South Side Environment

LWE Coaching & High Number of students going out for football

Last edited:
Many of these are dated and some of the programs have changed substantially in coaching turnover and scheme. So a lot of this is just reputation earned in the 90s and 00s. But when I think of a few programs, here is what I think of.......

JC....O line play and a stable of RB’s
MC...split back veer and a 3-4 defense
PC....defense built for speed and a great tailback with a nasty play action pass game
Brook...tailbacks and speed
Montini....a few elite athletes each year
Maine south....blowouts, swagger, and productive QB play
Morris.....offensive power identity but also the ability to get creative

Just a few that come to mind. Like I said, a lot of these no longer ring true with changes. But I will never hear “Providence football” and not think of a tailback dotting the I formation. Doesn’t matter how many years they run their current scheme or how many Myles Boykin’s they turn out. It’s like if someone mentions Nebraska football. You don’t think of Scott frost calling an rpo from the sideline. You think of him running the option with an I back.

NND: Consistently elite defenses (top 10/15 in state quality) consisting of undersized, hard-nosed kids

It is interesting to look at the lack of D1 kids ND has produced over the last 10ish years despite their successes on the field. Says a lot about the coaching and the toughness of the young men in Niles.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
NND: Consistently elite defenses (top 10/15 in state quality) consisting of undersized, hard-nosed kids

It is interesting to look at the lack of D1 kids ND has produced over the last 10ish years despite their successes on the field. Says a lot about the coaching and the toughness of the young men in Niles.
Elite?

LWE consistently has an elite defense. Warren’s D last season was elite. ESL consistency has an elite O.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookoutforliam
When you go to a stadium relatively often, what comes out of the PA system can be signature. For example, the announcer and content from LWE is over-the-top to some. H-F seems to go with very loud and frequent music between plays, often in the 2nd half. Is the long, slow version (Whitney Houston's) of the national anthem still used at Gately? How about the pre-game invocations sometimes offered at a host parochial school? Any others to add?

Elite?

LWE consistently has an elite defense. Warren’s D last season was elite. ESL consistency has an elite O.

Not going to get into a back-and-forth, but ND's defense was elite last year. Certainly a top 10 or so defense in state. Other years, consistently a top 20ish defense. Guess it depends on how you define "elite." Anyways, my point stands. For the lack of D1 players it has produced compared to its success on the field against some really good competition, ND's defense is certainly very well coached and is the hallmark of the program.

Reactions: Gene K.
Not going to get into a back-and-forth, but ND's defense was elite last year. Certainly a top 10 or so defense in state. Other years, consistently a top 20ish defense. Guess it depends on how you define "elite." Anyways, my point stands. For the lack of D1 players it has produced compared to its success on the field against some really good competition, ND's defense is certainly very well coached and is the hallmark of the program.
Hard to argue with most of what you said but to be an elite you should be in the top 5 IMO.

Wilmington...Beware What Comes Out of the Woods. And then the Double Wing...Physical to the edge of being dirty.

Manteno...the high-powered Spread.

McNamara...Power I.

Coal City...hard nosed and disciplined.

Lisle...mixing double wing with spread. Playing on turf.

Peotone...this stadium is awful...tough nosed power run.

Streator...underachieving.

Reactions: CaravanMan
For Willowbrook under Hildreth it’s tough, hard-nosed football on both sides, and specials, with excellent coaching and QB play. All of his QB’s went on to play at the next level. Johnson, Degnan, Ranieri (baseball), Taylor and Tumilty were all excellent players and leaders that ran their offense with great skill. Also have have some great two way athletes at the RB/LB spots like Battaglia and Jessen.

Corn Products would actually reach Reavis,Stagg & Morton Football Fields at games I went to & possibly other stadiums.I have/had family & friends work there.Some swear they ramped up the smell during Argo home games on Friday & Saturday.There was a soap factory in Clearing & 3M too that smelled just as bad that reached Argo.Plus nearby trucks & trains diesel.Good place to work.Rats the size of dogs in the tunnels there.They pay Bedford Park residents water & trash.Used to/still pay? Property tax of residents there.55 you get the sanitary canal smell before corn products.

Reactions: ignazio
Corn Products would actually reach Reavis,Stagg & Morton Football Fields at games I went to & possibly other stadiums.I have/had family & friends work there.Some swear they ramped up the smell during Argo home games on Friday & Saturday.There was a soap factory in Clearing & 3M too that smelled just as bad that reached Argo.Plus nearby trucks & trains diesel.Good place to work.Rats the size of dogs in the tunnels there.They pay Bedford Park residents water & trash.Used to/still pay? Property tax of residents there.55 you get the sanitary canal smell before corn products.
The only thing that stunk worse was Argos football team.

Marian Catholic of the Heights: 70's-2000's consistent winning with a lack of superior talent.
2010's: Getting smacked in the ESCC

Reactions: superfbfan
Loyola, East side, Mount Carmel, LWE, Montini. JCA, Maine South;
State Championship trophies as well as runner up trophies.

No runner up trophy's for Rochester and Driscoll. They always complete the job in the finals.

Reactions: Bowie50
I forgot a few but Naz, and Rochester would definitely be in the trophy category. Since Driscoll is no longer operating they would be in the earlier edition. The schools I mentioned would need a semi trailer to load their trophies into if they combined them all. There are few others on the cusp of getting into the trophy category. Help me out here with some other names!

Reactions: Bowie50
I forgot a few but Naz, and Rochester would definitely be in the trophy category. Since Driscoll is no longer operating they would be in the earlier edition. The schools I mentioned would need a semi trailer to load their trophies into if they combined them all. There are few others on the cusp of getting into the trophy category. Help me out here with some other names!
Provi has 11 or so..they are IL godfather status.

Reactions: Gene K.
No one mentioned tradition, specifically a winning tradition, or maybe even a family tradition, which attracts players to a school, motivates them to play their best, gives coaches good material for fiery half-time speeches, and inspires the student body to go rabid with excitement.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT