ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 1!?!?

LWE always shits the bed vs Loyola so I’m putting that ESL win above the Lincoln Way East win & I’m the biggest fan & supporter of old Sica & Illini 8 teams ever
Agreed. LWE has an outstanding program and a proud tradition firmly in place. They've had some great talent and teams come thru there. You can bet the search committee will be looking for a HC that can take the Griffins to the next level. It will be interesting to see who they bring in. That day is coming sooner than people think.

• Wow
Reactions: MMA_Det
Unlikely. The coaching staff is too good. But if it is over at least they had a run. Can’t say some much for the boys from Western Springs.
Runs come and go GW has had a good run but they are facing problems currently and rumor has it their staff will have some significant loses very soon.

Runs come and go GW has had a good run but they are facing problems currently and rumor has it their staff will have some significant loses very soon.
It is worth watching. With fans against Loyola DGN LT and York still to come, getting to 5 wins will be very tough. May have to beat one of those teams.

Agreed. LWE has an outstanding program and a proud tradition firmly in place. They've had some great talent and teams come thru there. You can bet the search committee will be looking for a HC that can take the Griffins to the next level. It will be interesting to see who they bring in. That day is coming sooner than people think.
Look for a replacement from the alumni ranks?

Reactions: MMA_Det
I’m not sure what next level means in this reference? Coach Zvonar is the only head coach LW East has ever had since inception. I’m certain his retirement date is not private.Too many folks to mention have turned this public program into a powerhouse program and if winning titles is the only measure of success there are a lot of failing football teams in the state. 6 appearances in the final game I believe would be enough for any program in 23 years and having never missed the playoffs with an insane .841 winning percentage? First year was with a Frosh,Soph and Junior fed team only…no senior class was in the building. The softball team upstaged them winning state without a senior class in the building…
I understand the ESL comparisons and talk as well and appreciate their program, but the Griffins have never played them, although district sister school LW Central has had a home/home competition not that long ago with both teams splitting the outcomes. Enjoy the season all!

Last edited:
Lol
Hard to argue with you since LA has beat the Griffins the past 2 years but East has beat them before so there’s that. I agree that the ESL/LA was a bigger game.

I’m not sure what next level means in this reference? Coach Zvonar has announced his retirement date already to the district and is the only head coach LW East has ever had since inception. Too many folks to mention have turned this public program into a powerhouse program and if winning titles is the only measure of success there are a lot of failing football teams in the state. 6 appearances in the final game I believe would be enough for any program in 23 years and having never missed the playoffs with an insane .841 winning percentage? First year was with a Frosh,Soph and Junior fed team only…no senior class was in the building. The softball team upstaged them winning state without a senior class in the building…
I understand the ESL comparisons and talk as well and appreciate their program, but the Griffins have never played them, although district sister school LW Central has had a home/home competition not that long ago with both teams splitting the outcomes. Enjoy the season all!
I am old & remember when Lincoln Way East was a Frosh/Soph High School for Lincoln Way(sorry I refuse to call it or original Plainfield Lincoln Way Central or Plainfield Central) & schools who would play Lincoln Way on Saturdays before they had lights would wind up at East High School lol

I learned after seeing they lost to Argo 45-0 in a running clock game that De La Salle is down to 18 Varsity players and had a mass exodus of players when Marty Quinn and Chris Goffer left. Did Harold Blackmon inherit a lemon in his return to the CCL? Can DLS fix a ship that was barely keeping afloat to begin with? New President Mike Zunica has an enormous project on his hands.
Was wondering about that because I was very stunned to see that score, especially considering the game was at DLS. Now I know why.

Hopefully, Harold - who did some real good things in his previous CCL tenure (think he was at Hales Franciscan) - can right things. But also sounds like it'll be a long-term process.

Oops. I was wrong.

No worries. I wasn't sure either til I looked.

Also maxpreps has been wrong before

That it only took one week and a W for you to still throw a dig at LT
They are one of the largest public schools in the state yet they never have been to even a semifinal in the playoff era. GW, DGN, HC and York have all had runs. Some in multiple eras yet the Lions have underachieved for decades. Maybe this will be the year. The loudest support of LT says it is ever year and that GW is done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT