ADVERTISEMENT

What conference gets exposed this weekend?

I saw part of the WA/NC game. NC took their foot off the gas some to help it be as respectable as a 35-14 game can be.

Didn’t see anything of the Palatine S Elgin game but anytime a 5/4 or 6/3 team beats an 8-1 team 24-3 and the other team is not in the CPS - you have to wonder. Another thread is talking about that as we speak. CPS teams getting crapped on as high seeds that lose and suburban schools with high seeds in questionable conferences avoiding that same scorn.... think this might be an example of that?

Fair point, however, I don't think palatine is a typical 6-3 team. I think many folks here myself included have them going to the quarters or semis. The South Elgin team made the playoffs for the first time in a while and had a big non conf win over cary grove this year. It is a program, while not there, moving in the right direction.

West Aurora, probably underperformed this year, but is well above the level of CPS quality. one more key point about west aurora. When you look at resources for football, West auroras resource are much closer to CPS level than that of most west suburban schools

Reactions: UlbKA91
Fair point, however, I don't think palatine is a typical 6-3 team. I think many folks here myself included have them going to the quarters or semis. The South Elgin team made the playoffs for the first time in a while and had a big non conf win over cary grove this year. It is a program, while not there, moving in the right direction.

West Aurora, probably underperformed this year, but is well above the level of CPS quality.

Agree on both points. Palatine is not a typical 6-3 team but my point was they come from a tough Conference. Same hold true for 6-3/5-4 teams coming out of the DVC - they are not typical 5-4/6-3 teams for round one matchups. When those teams completely handle 7-2/8-1 teams from other non CPS conferences - doesn’t that say something about Conference strength and hence “conferences that were exposed?”

I’m right there with ya Falcon!!

My only concern is the NN loss to Oswego. I think that was a bad one. Not because they lost, but because of the way they lost (offense was held to 14 pts. No one in the DVC did that to them except GBN with basically a D1 back 4). If Oswego can do that to them, yikes! Doesn’t bode well for NC’s future playoff outlook moving into next week and beyond. That said - I don’t think it means much for Wheaton North as it seems most of the pass heavy teams reside in 8A this year versus 7A.

Bottom line - need Wheaton North and NC to power thru to the Quarters!!! If you both make it - that’s a decent statement for both the individual teams and the DVC. If the DVC does not get a team into the quarters - yikes not good. I think that has only happened once in the history of the DVC.....
The NN game was what the Falcons needed at the right time of the season. Completely changed their defensive lineup and scheming after that and they haven’t looked back since then. Batavia matchup will be exciting. Both fast hard hitting defenses.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
Agree on both points. Palatine is not a typical 6-3 team but my point was they come from a tough Conference. Same hold true for 6-3/5-4 teams coming out of the DVC - they are not typical 5-4/6-3 teams for round one matchups. When those teams completely handle 7-2/8-1 teams from other non CPS conferences - doesn’t that say something about Conference strength and hence “conferences that were exposed?”

I’m not sure the upstate Valley could be exposed, because I’m not sure anyone thought they were any good in the first place.

I think the West Suburban Gold produced a huge statement victory or my 6A bracket finalist. WB going to be a very tough out. Jessen crossed 2 bills this weekend.
You should see Jessen on the wrestling mat!

I spent most of the preseason gushing about Jensen based solely on his mat work. Watched him wrestle a half dozen times. I’ve seen highlights of his FB/LB work and his numbers this year are staggering.

Brodner had like 900 yards rushing at the end of the regular season his sr year when everyone’s focus was on him. For Jessen to cross 2 bills in Week 10 when he reps all the focus is just crazy.

I won’t bring up the specter of JJ, but this year is shaping up to be pretty special and I have a sneaking suspicion that WB is going to give PR all kinds of problems.

Jessen is commited to wrestle at Northwestern, pretty good academically too.

I saw part of the WA/NC game. NC took their foot off the gas some to help it be as respectable as a 35-14 game can be.

Didn’t see anything of the Palatine S Elgin game but anytime a 5/4 or 6/3 team beats an 8-1 team 24-3 and the other team is not in the CPS - you have to wonder. Another thread is talking about that as we speak. CPS teams getting crapped on as high seeds that lose and suburban schools with high seeds in questionable conferences avoiding that same scorn.... think this might be an example of that?

I'm not sure what your issue with West Aurora is, but you obviously have one. They were 16 yards away from making it 28-21 a minute or two into the 4th. After stopping WA on that 4th and 1 from the NC 16, Central ran the ball 8 times to go those 84 yards for the final score, eating up almost the rest of the game in the process. I guess that's what you call helping WA make it look respectable, but I would call it a smart way to close out a game, and hardly a blowout. Someone should ask the NC coaches if that was the same old WA walkthrough they came to expect from them in the old DVC days.

I didn't see any of it, but it sounds like South Elgin was beaten by a good football team who kept the ball away from them, played great defense, and didn't make any mistakes. The fact that Palatine had lost 3 games by 12 points doesn't make this some monumental upset or a choke job by South Elgin.

No, the U8 Valley is not an awesome conference. But WA and SE were seeded just about right and didn't take anything away from anyone who deserved it more, so I'm not understanding what the point you're desperately trying to make here. Should they have been excluded from the playoffs or merely assigned the lowest seeds? Or I guess the two lowest seeds above whatever CPS teams are deigned worthy of admittance, since obviously Aurora and Elgin are merely the west side of Chicago plopped down along the Fox.

ESCC performed as expected in the first round with a 4-2 finish.

8A: 1-1 (Marist win, ND loss)
7A: 1-0 (Benet win)
6A: 1-0 (Naz win)
5A: 1-1 (MCC win, Viator loss)

I'm not sure what your issue with West Aurora is, but you obviously have one. They were 16 yards away from making it 28-21 a minute or two into the 4th. After stopping WA on that 4th and 1 from the NC 16, Central ran the ball 8 times to go those 84 yards for the final score, eating up almost the rest of the game in the process. I guess that's what you call helping WA make it look respectable, but I would call it a smart way to close out a game, and hardly a blowout. Someone should ask the NC coaches if that was the same old WA walkthrough they came to expect from them in the old DVC days.

I didn't see any of it, but it sounds like South Elgin was beaten by a good football team who kept the ball away from them, played great defense, and didn't make any mistakes. The fact that Palatine had lost 3 games by 12 points doesn't make this some monumental upset or a choke job by South Elgin.

No, the U8 Valley is not an awesome conference. But WA and SE were seeded just about right and didn't take anything away from anyone who deserved it more, so I'm not understanding what the point you're desperately trying to make here. Should they have been excluded from the playoffs or merely assigned the lowest seeds? Or I guess the two lowest seeds above whatever CPS teams are deigned worthy of admittance, since obviously Aurora and Elgin are merely the west side of Chicago plopped down along the Fox.

Have nothing against West Aurora, in fact it is the opposite. I think the coaches and School have done a tremendous job moving the program to new heights of success. Numbers are good throughout the program and better than many other programs that have historically had high numbers but have been falling greater than the overall trend.

At a conference level - I do have concerns with the level of competitive play in the Upstate 8 Valley (for next year - the remaining upstate teams when Batavia and gang leave). Basically WA and South Elgin are now what Neuqua and Waubonsie were 5 years go. An automatic 1-2 and the order will flip from time to time but not the top 2 teams.

What I am saying is now that the program has been built up to a significant level - and many of the other sports at WA are great as well (Basketball, Track, etc). Why not consider joining the remains of the DVC? NC, NN, NV, WV, MV. Football will now be competitive and will probably be in the top 3 in most other sports as well (1-2 in Basketball and Track would be my guess).

As the Blues Brothers might say - try and get part of the band back together? WA has a long history within the DVC (NC, NN) and a long history with the D204 schools in the Upstate.

All that said - the thread is “what conferences get exposed” And I ascertain that the Upstate Valley is and will have problems in the future in the playoffs in football due to most of the Conference games being non competitive. When Batavia and the St chucks leave - the combined remaining teams in a unified upstate will also have problems. Now - as some posters have mentioned if there is zero expectations on Upsate Valley then it’s not possible for the Conference to get exposed - then ok that might make sense for some, but in my view with the right competition levels- West Aurora and South Elgin could be major factors in the playoffs in future years.

Last edited:
DVC 2-3 (8A 1-2) (7A 1-1)
CCL Blue 4-0 (8A 2-0) (7A 1-0) (6A 1-0)
SWS 4-2 (8A 2-1) (7A 2-1)
WSC Silver 3-2 (8A 2-2) (6A 1-0)

SWS could have both an 8A and 7A champ...from the same town. I don't see CCL Blue having continued success.

#1 SWS...#2 CCL Blue (SWS 4 remaining are better)...#3 WSC Silver...#4 DVC?

Bump. Blue 8-0. 4 quarter finalists.

Sadly, gotta say this weekend it was the MSL. Out of 7 teams in the playoffs, Hoffman Estates is the only one to make it to the quarterfinals.

CCL Green? Not so much this weekend (only Marmion was playing, although they lost handily). But, I'd say the Green turned in a brutal playoff performance overall.

Reactions: Gene K.
Just my take...

1st round losses are where a conference can be "exposed" - at least certainly more than 2nd round losses. 2nd round is when you find out which conferences excelled.

By my definition anyway, being "exposed" means the conference is not as strong as expected when facing other playoff teams. Seems to me like the MSL represented very well. And we have to wait and see how the teams that beat them do going forward to make a good judgement.

Minooka - Edwardsville should be a great game next weekend.

Exposed are those that thought DLS would roll over Hoffman Estates.

Last edited:
Reactions: watkins978
We could reverse the thread and say which conferences are dominating.

Obviously the Blue - 4 quarterfinals teams out of 5 in the conference? Wow.

Southwest Prarie deserves a lot of love in my opinion. Oswego and Minooka both in the 8A quarterfinals. I am hugely impressed with SWP Conference this season. Wow

Southwest Suburban (or do we call it the LIncoln Way Conference from now on?). Three teams in the quarters - LWE, LWC, LWW.

Those 3 conferences are really looking good in the playoffs.

Conferences that normally have multiple teams make deep runs that have not this year:

Silver - seems to be down some from years past. No teams in the quarters.

MSL - out of two divisions - only one team in the quarters in 6A.

DVC - should have had 2 teams in the quarters if the end of regulation field goal was converted in the WN/Batavia game - but those things happen sometimes and the reality is only one team in the quarters.

I will say the southwest prairie gets exposed.

Five teams qualified
JTWest vs LWE
OE v SCE
Oswego v NN
Plainfield N Andrew
Minooka v NND

I think only PNN is the clear favorite of the five. With no non-con games, this is a tough conference to gauge,

Nice showing by the Panthers and Indians. Non conference games were lost when the 2 Joliet schools came into the conference last year.

Southwest Prarie deserves a lot of love in my opinion. Oswego and Minooka both in the 8A quarterfinals. I am hugely impressed with SWP Conference this season. Wow

Southwest Suburban (or do we call it the LIncoln Way Conference from now on?). Three teams in the quarters - LWE, LWC, LWW.

Conferences that normally have multiple teams make deep runs that have not this year:

DVC - should have had 2 teams in the quarters if the end of regulation field goal was converted in the WN/Batavia game - but those things happen sometimes and the reality is only one team in the quarters.
This is the way I should've bumped up this thread. Nice work @Voodoo Tatum 21

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

I think you’d have to include the ESCC with 4 teams still alive.

The SPC "has a chance" to fill the void that the DVC split is leaving. Obviously Oswego has been a proven winner. Plainfield North in the 7a title game last year. With Minooka's emergence this year. Oswego East has had solid showings against Loyola last year and St Chuck East this year. Those four are the top tier in the league. Joliet West, Plainfield South, and Plainfield Central in the middle tier have shown great improvements.

I think this conference is only going to get better.

Reactions: USD24
I think you’d have to include the ESCC with 4 teams still alive.

Yes absolutely! Geez how can I miss them. Benet, Naz, Marist etc etc. all still in it. As impressive as the Blue.

My bad. - brain freeze and long day

Reactions: eireog
It’s small ball, but the Sangamo Conference has four through to the quarters. Williamsville, Maroa-Forsyth, Athens and Pleasant Plains.
The Sangamo deserves extra credit...Pleasant Plains, the misfortunate 6-3 16 seed in the 3A south, hammered the 1 seed in the first round putting up 51, and then beat the winner of the 8/9 game between 8-1 teams...

Since Williamsville & Pleasant Plains are on opposite sides of the bracket, there could be an all-Sangamo championship game...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT