ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 CPL Football: Rockne the Casbah

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
By order of the prophet, we cut the grass today. Decapitate the weeds, with that crazy weedwacker sound. But then the mower they brought it out, it was out of gas and really frail. And as the lights turn themselves off, the ghosts of Rockne wail!

Most teams, they don't like it. Rockne the Casbah, Rockne the Casbah. Most teams they don't like it, Rockne the Casbah.

Now over at Stagg, they really pack em in (all 20 people). The crowd they say the dogs are cool, even when they are piping hot(get your hot dogs!). But when the wind changed direction, the punts started to fly the other way. And the crowd, they caught a whiff as the Stagg toilets died!

Most teams, they don't like it. Rockne the Casbah, Rockne the Casbah. Most teams they don't like it, Rockne the Casbah.

Now that song time is over, let's get to this week's CLASHes (See what I did there???)

Chicago Academy Cougars at Foreman Hornets: Thursday, 7:15 at Rockne
A battle of epic proportions here in the Madison St conference. What a great geographical choice. Chicago Academy is on Roscoe (3400 N.) and Foreman is on Belmont (3200 N.), so let's play this game at Rockne (1200 S.), over 5 miles away. This seems like a true CPS plan. Apparently, the football gods have imparted wisdom to CPS and wanted this game to be at Rockne. Why you ask? You don't question the football gods, you just bow to their will. Which is what Foreman will do. They will bow to their opponents and exhibit great sportsmanship. Chicago Academy wins the game, and then treats all the Foreman players to a McFlurry after the game where they sit down and talk about how the game went (I hope they choose Oreo! It's the best flavor).

Steinmetz Silver Streaks at Prosser Falcons: Friday, 4:15 at Lane
I heard through the grapevine that the Lane announcer is a Steinmetz graduate. Don't you know that I heard it through the grapevine, and the scoreboard lights are going out, honey honey yeah! The Metz have been rolling lately and unlike the New York Mets, who found a way to miss the playoffs again, THE METZ will take care of business in a big way. Steinmetz in a rout.

King Jaguars at Hyde Park Thunderbirds: Saturday, 1:00 at Eckersall
A Big Shoulders classic here, even though they have only been in the conference for a couple of years. It is already the 2nd biggest rivalry in the history of the conference. This game on Saturday will be a treat to watch for the dozens and dozens of Mankind's fans that make the trek to Eckersall. If they are lucky, maybe every fan will be able to buy an Eckersall dog (definitely no Gately dog!). Hyde Park wins a close game.

Clark Eagles at Raby Raiders: Saturday, 1:00 at Lane
The Eagles and the Raiders. Philadelphia and Las Vegas. I have been to both cities and Vegas is clearly a better city. Also, the Eagles vs. Paul Revere and the Raiders; Eagles are most famous, Paul Revere is cooler. Don't you know that Kicks just keep getting harder to find, and all your kicks ain't bringin you a peace of mind, Before you find out it's too late, you better kick it straight (into the wind). Great song, great band. Raiders in an upset!

Kennedy Crusaders vs. ITW Speer Pride: Friday, 7:15 at Speer
Let me get this straight. The Crusaders are playing the Spears! Oh boy, let's goooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crusaders use spears, and they will have pride will they use them. Kennedy wins a big battle and a war!

UPB Lions vs. Lindblom Eagles: Thursday, 3:45 at Lindblom
Yes, you are reading it right. 3:45 Thursday starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To account for the dark, we no longer have 4:15 starts, we have 3:45 starts!!!! Just when you can't think things get better!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lindblom wins the inaugural 3:45 CPS game!

Washington Patriots vs. Solorio Sun Warriors: Friday, 7:30 at Solorio
I have no idea why the Sun Warriors would choose to play their game at night. Don't they know they could play their game at 3:45??????? Very poor decision on their part, as they lose all the power when the sun goes down. And when the sun goes down, we'll be groovin when the sun goes down, we'll be feelin alright, when the sun sinks down over the water, everything gets hotter (or colder) when the sun goes down. Yeah!

Game of the Week: Mather Rangers vs. Amundsen Vikings--Saturday, 1:00 at Winnemac
Cotton Mather vs. Roald Amundsen. A minister vs. a Norwegian explorer. Take the explorers!

The Eagles and the Raiders. Philadelphia and Las Vegas. I have been to both cities and Vegas is clearly a better city. Also, the Eagles vs. Paul Revere and the Raiders; Eagles are most famous, Paul Revere is cooler. Don't you know that Kicks just keep getting harder to find, and all your kicks ain't bringin you a peace of mind, Before you find out it's too late, you better kick it straight (into the wind). Great song, great band. Raiders in an upset!
Aren't you tired of being wrong this year? Betting against us isn't smart considering we have 3 backs with over 600yds rushing. SR Quadrell Hill has 806yds and 10TDs, JR Willie Taylor 740yds and 9TDs and SO Keondre Pitts 622yds and 5TDs.

The days grow shorter and the nights are getting long...
Feels like we're running out of time....
"Fight the Good Fight"- Triumph

Man, that song takes me back. I had a coach who used to sing this song all of the time during practice. Especially when he thought we were being soft. He'd sing the lyric, "The good book says it's better to give than to receive..." then remind us that even God wants us to hit people in the mouth. Sweet memoires.

Rick Emmett's lyrics also remind us all that fall is upon us and the Thursday starts are at 3:45! That's football baby! On to the picks!

Came home one day last summer and noticed a giant hornet nest in the tree right above the driveway. And when I say giant, I mean beach ball size. No clue how I never noticed it, but I ended up spraying a ridiculous amount of poison on it before they all either died or left town. Damn hornets. Hard as hell to kill. And feisty! Not betting against that mojo.
Foreman!

If you are on the Eastbound CTA Addison bus 152 early Friday afternoon, make sure you give up your seat to the Silver Streak players on their way to the game. Do they need to travel this way? Nope. They just prefer to roll off the CTA and get after it like they used to do at Hansen.
Streaks!

Didn't this game happen last week? I feel like this game gets played every week. This week at Eckersall. Next week at Stagg. Maybe even mix in a 3:45 Thursday start at Gately. In the end, this is a battle of snazzy automobiles, Jaguars vs TBirds. In a battle of football, or cars, I will take America over Great Britain any day.
Give me the T BIRDS!

Two things I can guarantee about this game. 1 - The Addison White Castle will be cooking up delicious burgers before and after the game. 2- Coach Percy will guarantee a victory. Well, no one loves firing down sliders more than I do, plus I also learned from NFL Films that "the autumn wind is a Raider..." So.... Grab a Crave Case and take Raby!

Kennedy Missile Pigs vs. ITW Speer Pride: Friday, 7:15 at Speer
Speer is named after David Speer, the former President/CEO of Illinois Tool Works. Speer attended both Vandy and Northwestern...in the 70's. That is a lot of bad football stink to put on the Pride.
Missile Pigs!

If two Apex predators go at it on a Thursday afternoon at 3:45 will anyone notice? Most likely the Lindblom students, because I think school gets out there at 4.
Lions

A couple of years ago, I went to see Solorio play for the CPL Championship. Now, they are playing America High in a must win game to not be relegated to a conference that doesn't qualify for any playoffs, IHSA or CPL. CPL, you are such a fickle beast..
America!

Game of the Week: Mather Rangers vs. Amundsen Vikings--Saturday, 1:00 at Winnemac

Mather keeps winning the close ones. Amundsen scores 50 points a game. Mather is on the road. Winnemac is right next to Amundsen, making it a home game for the Vikings. All typical signs that Amundsen should dominate. But....IT DOESN'T MATHER what the typical signs are!!! The Rangers are for real!
Rangers!

Any time it wants to get cooler out so I can actually enjoy some fall football, that'd be great. Instead we get teased by a few brisk days and then right back to the 80s. No more teasing, on to the games!

Nothing would upset me more as a kid than having to do all of our chores and my dad just sat and watched. "Hey, every job needs a Foreman and in this house it's me." I now get the lesson he was teaching me, Foreman is every where. Cougs don't stand a chance.

Prosser got rolled last week, the Silver Streaks are on a roll having won three straight. They metz it going early and get the Streaks to 4.

The King Jags kind of seems redundant, isn't every king, every where a jag? Too bad this matchup wasn't against Pritzker, then we could get the Kings and Princes in a family affair, but I digress. Thunder, thunder, thunder birds roll!

Coach Percy has his Eagles ready, Raby the Raiders can pull off the upset. I highly doubt it. Eagles go undefeated until week 9.

Kennedy Missile Pigs vs. ITW Speer Pride: Friday, 7:15 at Speer
Missile Pigs is soooooo good, I just completely blank on any analysis every time is see it. Let's go with the Missile Pigs blanking the Pride while we're at it.

Lions vs Eagles another great NFL Thanksgiving matchup. As unique as the 3:45 early fall start. Give me the blom!

This matchup, woof. FENGER!!!!

This is going to be quite a battle. The Mighty Rangers battle the Vikings in a hard fought game that Amundsen to overtime. Vikings in a thriller by the 2 pt try in the second OT!

I used to live in New Orleans with a girl who made me rice and beans. As we walked along the levee, we went at it hot and heavy, but the levee wasn't dry and I thought we both would die when the fatal hurricane arrived. We were lucky and survived. Who will survive this week's battle between two of the greatest rhymers that the world has ever seen, Bob Dylan or Don McLean?

UPB Lions vs. Lindblom Eagles
Can an eagle kill a lion in a fight? Yes, especially if it's a younger lion, a cub or an adolescent. Compared to the Detroit Lions, the Urban Prep Bronzeville Lions are nothing but cocky teenagers. So they will think the game's a lark but come out flat without a spark, resulting in an epic fail, a lion chasing its own tail.

King Jaguars at Hyde Park Thunderbirds
While the King is looking down, will the T-Birds steal his crown? The bigger question is whether the Eckersall dogs are better than the Reservoir dogs. When the courtroom is adjourned, this final verdict will be returned: Nothing, not even a great movie, is better than high school football in the fall.

Clark Eagles at Raby Raiders:
Speaking of dogs, the prediction here is that Raby will go rabid and inflict the Percys with their first loss and maybe even a case of rabies. Almost out of time and luck, like a gambler down to his last buck, their QB throws a final pass, but it falls short on the grass.

Mather Rangers vs. Amundsen Vikings
For all of his accomplishments, Roald Amundsen disappeared on a rescue mission and his remains were never found. So, a dark cloud of unknowing hangs over the outcome of this game. When the players take the field, the marching band will refuse to yield. The final score will be concealed. Nothing is revealed.

Last edited:
HOT THURSDAY BONUS PICK OF THE WEEK!!!!

Roosevelt vs Senn TONIGHT!!! 7:15 Lane

On the way to work today, I saw one of my neighbors was throwing out some lawn furniture. It was old, faded, and clearly had outlived its real usefulness. As I drove to work, I kept thinking of that furniture, and all the great stories it must be able to tell about grilling, block parties, parades.... kind of got a little sentimental thinking about the times that used to be....so, naturally, I looked at the CPL schedule and found a classic Thursday Big Shoulders matchup! Roosevelt has some momentum after forfeiting the entire spring '21 season. Senn is riding high and undefeated. It's going to be raining. At Lane stadium, that means Bathrooms will be closed. The ceiling will be leaking. There will be drainage issues....Classic Big Shoulders football!!!! And no one rolls off the bus and into adverse conditions better than the Senn Bulldogs!!
Take the DAWGS!!!!

Aren't you tired of being wrong this year? Betting against us isn't smart considering we have 3 backs with over 600yds rushing. SR Quadrell Hill has 806yds and 10TDs, JR Willie Taylor 740yds and 9TDs and SO Keondre Pitts 622yds and 5TDs.
You tell him coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! give me Clark with those backs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOT THURSDAY BONUS PICK OF THE WEEK!!!!

Roosevelt vs Senn TONIGHT!!! 7:15 Lane

On the way to work today, I saw one of my neighbors was throwing out some lawn furniture. It was old, faded, and clearly had outlived its real usefulness. As I drove to work, I kept thinking of that furniture, and all the great stories it must be able to tell about grilling, block parties, parades.... kind of got a little sentimental thinking about the times that used to be....so, naturally, I looked at the CPL schedule and found a classic Thursday Big Shoulders matchup! Roosevelt has some momentum after forfeiting the entire spring '21 season. Senn is riding high and undefeated. It's going to be raining. At Lane stadium, that means Bathrooms will be closed. The ceiling will be leaking. There will be drainage issues....Classic Big Shoulders football!!!! And no one rolls off the bus and into adverse conditions better than the Senn Bulldogs!!
Take the DAWGS!!!!

I know what game I am attending tonight!!!!!!! Go DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the curveball CPS threw us last night on the Roosevelt vs. Chicago Academy game I felt it necessary to switch it up and throw in a top conference matchup analysis Bonus Pick, its easy to grab the Simeon vs Morgan Park matchup but since this is HOT CPL action we don't do easy. On to the pick...

Curie vs Kenwood
When the Condors fly... What? oh, wait, I'm hearing, yup. Curie has forfeited. Well like we say never easy...

Hubbard vs Perspectives
When starting my research on this matchup I found news that Hubbard has launched a healing room in its school. Seems like they have prepared for the colossal beat down that all the campuses of Perspectives (I think there's approximately 12 now) is going to put on them. If we know anything it's that come October the hyphens are ready to play. Perspectives in a rout

Another Bonus Match-up: CVS Cavaliers vs. Carver Challengers

Let the alliteration roll with all of these C's. The Chevy Cavalier vs. the Dodge Challenger.

When I think about a Chevy vs. a Dodge, I need to think about my old buddy Jimmy. He had a 65 Chevy primered flames that he traded for some powdered goods (oh boy!). Jigsaw Jimmy he's running a gang, but I hear he's doing okay. Now he's got a cozy little job selling to the Mexican Mob some packages of candy cane (why the Mexican mob loves candy canes I'll never know. Probably grab them on the way into their weekly feelings circle).

Challengers don't stand a chance against the Cavaliers. Someone may need to go to the DOCTOR after the game and it probably won't FEEL GOOD!

I showed up at Lane last night expecting to see the DAWGS of Senn, instead I got the Cougars of Chicago Academy. As Coach David Bennett once said in the best press conference in history, "We don't need more cats...we need more DAWGS!!" Needless to say, I concur.

Curie forfeits against Kenwood? Did Kenwood take the FF win, or did they pick up a game? Here's to hoping they pick up a game. Playing football is always better than not playing football.

Hubbard vs Perspectives
Old Mother Hubbard lived in a shoe. She used that shoe to spank Perspectives all over the field!
Hubbard!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT