ADVERTISEMENT

Two new head coaching hires announced

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Assistant coach Luke Lokanc is named the Warriors new head coach as expected. Look for former head coach Dave Ernst to remain coaching on the varsity.

Also Carmel has announce that former Chicago Bears player Jason McKie has been named head coach. Jason was an assistant coach last year under Blake Annen who stepped down and returned back home to Ohio

Last edited:
Jason McKie has sons named Jalen, Jason Junior, and Jordan, and a daughter, Journee.

I hate those kind of people.
You must really hate me - but that's OK. All my 4 kids (3 girls, 1 boy) have first names that contain the exact same 1st three letters. As expected, it often takes me 2 or 3 times to call out the name I intend!

You must really hate me - but that's OK. All my 4 kids (3 girls, 1 boy) have first names that contain the exact same 1st three letters. As expected, it often takes me 2 or 3 times to call out the name I intend!

Hate is a pretty strong word but I am always curious why people feel compelled to follow this naming convention for their kids. Seems limiting to me.

All the kids i can kind of deal with but when husband, wife and kids all the same. No way

Reactions: Gene K.
According to website Illinois Glory Days, 18 Illinois high schools have the nickname "Warriors." Is this a new football coach at Deerfield? Maine West? McHenry? Willowbrook? Etc... Just need a one/two-word answer, that being the name of the school.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
According to website Illinois Glory Days, 18 Illinois high schools have the nickname "Warriors." Is this a new football coach at Deerfield? Maine West? McHenry? Willowbrook? Etc... Just need a one/two-word answer, that being the name of the school.
Lincoln Way West in New Lenox

Three word answer:

Lincoln Way West

Regarding Carmel football, while I don't have any stake in any team in Lake County, I would say that Carmel's return to the glory days it had under Andy Bitto in his early days at the helm are not likely, and this has nothing to do with the coach.
Dollars and sense, I am suggesting, have a lot to do with Carmel's slippage on the football field where, obviously, it takes many more top-end players to be successful than it does in a team sport such as basketball.
In the past 11 years, Carmel has lost 5 or more games every season except one, and in that one, the Corsairs lost four times. The last 9 seasons, Carmel has lost five or more games.
As all of not-well-to-do old-timers can attest, the financial crisis in 2007 was a real dagger to many hearts. And in this view, the northern half of Lake County has either been among the slowest areas to recover from that financial disaster or still haven't recovered from it.
This has had a couple of effects. One, the number of people in the northern half of Lake County who still owe more money on their house than what they could see it for is, I am guessing, a lot larger than is the number for people living in other areas.
Two, when people can't afford to sell their house because they are the proverbial "under water," they don't move. The familiar scenario of people living in their home and when the children finish high school, the kids move on and the parents sell their bigger house to another family with young kids who then fuel the enrollment at the local schools doesn't happen with the same frequency as it used to.
Just look at what has happened to some fo the enrollment figures. Stevenson is down from several years ago. Warren is now down under 4,000 which will become clear when the new enrollment numbers show up in the fall of 2020.
The Grayslake's are down, Antioch/Lakes school district is down.
That's fewer children who could conceivably go to Carmel, which like I assume most Catholic schools, has a pretty hefty cost to attend in its own right.
Now, couple the cost of a private education at Carmel with these additional factors:
1) From a transportation point of view, it's actually easier for Deerfield/Highland Park area students to get to Loyola than it is to get to Carmel.
2) Public schools near Carmel, including Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Stevenson, Lake Forest, Lake Zurich, Barrington, etc., are seriously about as good as . you can get in terms of quality education.
I feel safe in saying Carmel students get a top-end education, but I also feel just as safe as saying that same type of top-end education (minus the religious component, obviously), is being obtained at many of the public high schools in Lake County.
So to finish before you all fall asleep reading this, Carmel is being squeezed by finances in the northern half of Lake County, faces competition of Loyola (and probably St. Viator) in other areas of Lake County, and by top-end public education being offered at many schools throughout the county.
And then, finally, there is football. The football at public schools such as Libertyville, Lake Zurich, Highland Park, Barrington, Deerfield, Lake Forest, Lakes, Antioch, Grayslake North, etc. is pretty darn good.
Does a high-quality gridder have a better chance of getting college opportunities (aka scholarship offers) playing at Carmel than at one of these top football-playing public schools?
My guess is that it's not true anymore.
One of the top top gridders in the entire state this year played defensive line for Lake Forest. He's apparently going to Notre Dame.
The idea of a player getting better exposure at Carmel then at some of the county's public schools was, I would say, definitely true 10-20 years ago, but it's likely not the case anymore.
Finally, and I don't know anything about this, but it might be a comparable situation ....
As a longtime follower of prep football, I can remember when Providence Catholic was the state-of-the-art program.
Has it slipped since the public school in the same city (Lincoln-Way East) has emerged as one of the state's top programs? Does Providence have fewer players than they used to have? If the Celtics' numbers have held steady, what is it that they do that maybe Carmel can learn from?
There likely are other examples, but I've gone on way too long already.

As a longtime follower of prep football, I can remember when Providence Catholic was the state-of-the-art program.
Has it slipped since the public school in the same city (Lincoln-Way East) has emerged as one of the state's top programs? Does Providence have fewer players than they used to have? If the Celtics' numbers have held steady, what is it that they do that maybe Carmel can learn from?
There likely are other examples, but I've gone on way too long already.
I know you are a Lake County guy, but Providence is a bad example. There are a number of issues in play there, in addition to the quality competition they face from the Lincoln Ways and now probably Lockport with their new coach. Provi has been on the slide, and it may become even more pronounced in the next few years. Proof? The Celtics had 21 kids on their Frosh roster this year.

Reactions: The Outfit
Carmel would be be fine if they lower to a 4A 5A.Schedule a couple lower level schools for non conference games.

In terms of lack of economic recovery since 2008, Lake County is also hurt by proximity to Wisconsin (post 2010) and also the trend of corporate HQs moving away from large suburban campuses to downtown/west loop Chicago. I tell people that Lake County is becoming Connecticut- ized.

With Carmel specificly they were up when Warren was middling in the late 90s early 00s. and have seemed to regress while Warren has improved.

I know you are a Lake County guy, but Providence is a bad example. There are a number of issues in play there, in addition to the quality competition they face from the Lincoln Ways and now probably Lockport with their new coach. Provi has been on the slide, and it may become even more pronounced in the next few years. Proof? The Celtics had 21 kids on their Frosh roster this year.

Providence has suffered on multiple fronts besides the well publicized issues. The behind the scene issues are worse than the ones in the paper. Bottom line the issues all start and end with the Head Coach and AD. In my opinion both very good people and probably a very good HC. The reality of the situation though is based on perception. Perception whether reality or not is viewed as truth.

Numbers and the lack of depth within the coaching staff is killing the Celtics. It has been a slow poison they swallowed when Seffner retired. But it is whats happened.

In terms of lack of economic recovery since 2008, Lake County is also hurt by proximity to Wisconsin (post 2010) and also the trend of corporate HQs moving away from large suburban campuses to downtown/west loop Chicago. I tell people that Lake County is becoming Connecticut- ized.

With Carmel specificly they were up when Warren was middling in the late 90s early 00s. and have seemed to regress while Warren has improved.

Id sure like to make the playoffs 10 of 12 years and have that be considered struggling or middling.

Only three first round exits - your logic on school size is really misinformed

I would say Warren prior to the last 2 years was a head scratcher in most fans minds. Pretty mediocre or ok for a school with abundant talent in the halls. Great to see them turn the corner this year though and happy for your son!

I would say Warren prior to the last 2 years was a head scratcher in most fans minds. Pretty mediocre or ok for a school with abundant talent in the halls. Great to see them turn the corner this year though and happy for your son!

You never know they might be a head scratcher next year? One really good year does not guarantee success or a power program going forward. Although Micahjones will say they will win State next year like he pretty much guaranteed it this year. Sorry Newt it’s my one jab at Micah Jones he needed some humbling after all his posts. Lol

I think my bigger point was the size of the school doesn’t necessarily translate into sports success.

I'd check your facts on this statement:

'The football at public schools such as Libertyville, Lake Zurich, Highland Park, Barrington, Deerfield, Lake Forest, Lakes, Antioch, Grayslake North, etc. is pretty darn good.'

I'd give you two, maybe three of these schools.

If you want to crown the Northern Lake County teams as good football, well, then you are not a credible prep football fan IMO. You should have started with Stevenson, Warren, LZ, etc. and kept it a short list.

Sandburg, Stagg...Lockport does have good wrestling and Sandburg has Baseball....Stagg though....
Stagg enrollment just under 2300 and looking for another Head Coach in that revolving door situation with the hiring pool of D230 employees only.

Reactions: mullin17
Stagg enrollment just under 2300 and looking for another Head Coach in that revolving door situation with the hiring pool of D230 employees only.
Palos Stars always had a decent youth program I just can't see how they can't put a more competitive team on the field. Hopefully they can find a coach who can make it work. With all the boys in that school you should be able to field a decent team more then once a decade.

Stagg hasn't made the playoffs since 2006 I think there are more problems then coaching staff. Alot of potential players in the stagg district go to local catholic schools. With not as many kids playin high school football it especially hurts team that historically arnt good.

Any news on the stagg job? Are they keeping it in house or looking for outside coaches?
Be reminded that teachers coming into D230 do not get to bring their prior years of experience with them for placement on the salary schedule. This tends to keep the vast majority of Head FB Coach hiring in-district.

Any news on the stagg job? Are they keeping it in house or looking for outside coaches?

Its not a very desirable job.
Tough conference to win in.
No longer have winnable games in the SWSC (lost Twood, TRidge, Joliets)
Can't keep a HC, they have had 5-6 HCs in 10 years.
My guess no internal coaches want it.

Some young coach out of the building should want it.

Three mandatory annual cross-overs with SWSC Blue (LWE, H-F, Brook, Lockport or Sandburg) with enrollments 40+% higher are no bargain either.

Heard Mike Ivlow is a strong candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT