ADVERTISEMENT

To the top teams, does seeding matter that much?

Videosurfer

Sep 8, 2018
Serious question here. If (big "if") a team believes that anything short of a championship is a huge and overwhelming "loss", does it matter if you are seeded #1, #2 or #3? You have to eventually play the best to get to the end point anyway.

This is a maximalist opinion of course. Exiting in the 3rd round or 4th, does it matter to those top, elite teams? Nobody remembers much except being in the finals.

Beyond maybe a bit of pride in an artificial number, I doubt it.

Luck of the draw in the bracket is most important in facilitating a deep run. At some point you play the best though.

Given wide disparity in conferences and reg season schedules, records driving seeding doesn’t yield a true 1-32 or 1-16. With home field advantage rules, after round 1 that is largely luck

Just thought of one issue that matters. The deeper one goes into the playoffs, the better it is for the program as the younger kids are brought up and exposed to the atmosphere..more practice and experience for the next year.

If one exits in the 2nd or 3rd round and you are East (as an example), does that really matter? My *guess* is that they have a "championship or bust" mentality...as does Brother Rice and a couple others.
I guess I'm saying the seeding doesn't necessarily matter, but avoiding bad matchups does. For example, it doesn't matter to me whether we are #1 or #32 seeded, but I would prefer we don't get a team with exceptionally strong lines. Exceptionally good skill positions is fine.

In 2013 some people thought our 2nd rd matchup with Marist was a good matchup for us because their D wasnt that impressive, but our offense was going to be terrible no matter who we played, so it would've been better for us to get an opponent that wasn't going to score at least 14 points.

If you have no perceived weaknesses then perhaps the matchup doesn't matter. I wouldn't take last night as an indication that a particular team has no weaknesses though.

I guess I'm saying the seeding doesn't necessarily matter, but avoiding bad matchups does. For example, it doesn't matter to me whether we are #1 or #32 seeded, but I would prefer we don't get a team with exceptionally strong lines. Exceptionally good skill positions is fine.

In 2013 some people thought our 2nd rd matchup with Marist was a good matchup for us because their D wasnt that impressive, but our offense was going to be terrible no matter who we played, so it would've been better for us to get an opponent that wasn't going to score at least 14 points.

If you have no perceived weaknesses then perhaps the matchup doesn't matter. I wouldn't take last night as an indication that a particular team has no weaknesses though.
The match ups matter on how far one goes in the playoffs...no doubt about that. I am a wrestling fan and have seen those who lost in the state finals throw their medal away. Not saying that is a great mindset, but I understand it.

Reactions: Eringobragh
Each round is supposed to get progressively more difficult as a team advances. The teams you face are there because they're very good

It does kinda suck for the team that draws a 7-2 Phillips first round with a higher seed, for example.

You might win but get banged up or become emotionally drained. Then you got the rest of the slate ahead of you.
Prime example: if OPRF and Glenbard West meet as projected in this year's first round in 8A, you know that's going to be an intense, physical game. The likely opponent for the winner? Lincoln-Way East

Prime example: if OPRF and Glenbard West meet as projected in this year's first round in 8A, you know that's going to be an intense, physical game. The likely opponent for the winner? Lincoln-Way East
I agree...but I was speaking about the few top teams. If East played Brother Rice in Round 1, for each of them if they had a state championship or bust, not sure it makes that much difference.

3A Byron goes 9-0, IC forced up, Wilmo has an off year, Tigers finally get a 1 seed...and their gift for being the one seed could be Rock Island Alleman in Round 1...Alleman may be 5-4, but lost to a 5A favorite 8-1 Sterling, 8-1 7A Moline, 7-2 6A/7A Quincy, and 5-4 6A Rock Island, and only played one school under 1000 kids...Although with 40 points, Alleman may not be the 16 now as Soucie has predicted for a couple weeks...

Manteno got a 1 seed a few years ago in 4A south...which was something to be proud of...it entitled them to a second round blowout by Rochester with Wes Lunt...

In the lower classes, seeds are important, but matchups are more important...Staying away from Aurora Christian in 1A and Alleman in 3A (as prime examples) is as important as your actual seed if you want to go deep...you need to avoid the ridiculous strength-of-schedule 5 and 6 win teams in the early rounds.

But in 8A...LWE might as well just take the "Bring It On!" perspective...After the 1-16 first round game, everybody should be rocking it...

Reactions: Videosurfer
A higher seed could be the difference between playing at home and playing in far south Illinois.

I agree the travel sucks but every year teams from the Chicago area go South and get beat then use the “we got homed” excuse. It’s just that an excuse for losing a game to a better team.

The “arbitrary” seeding and resultant home game criteria has been a point of contention for years.
I’d still like to see the highest seed get to option to defer the first round home game.

3A Byron goes 9-0, IC forced up, Wilmo has an off year, Tigers finally get a 1 seed...and their gift for being the one seed could be Rock Island Alleman in Round 1...Alleman may be 5-4, but lost to a 5A favorite 8-1 Sterling, 8-1 7A Moline, 7-2 6A/7A Quincy, and 5-4 6A Rock Island, and only played one school under 1000 kids...Although with 40 points, Alleman may not be the 16 now as Soucie has predicted for a couple weeks...

Manteno got a 1 seed a few years ago in 4A south...which was something to be proud of...it entitled them to a second round blowout by Rochester with Wes Lunt...

In the lower classes, seeds are important, but matchups are more important...Staying away from Aurora Christian in 1A and Alleman in 3A (as prime examples) is as important as your actual seed if you want to go deep...you need to avoid the ridiculous strength-of-schedule 5 and 6 win teams in the early rounds.

But in 8A...LWE might as well just take the "Bring It On!" perspective...After the 1-16 first round game, everybody should be rocking it...

I’m sure Alleman is decent and not a typical 5-4 team, but they got destroyed in all their loses, didn’t beat a single team with a winning record, and didn’t have many dominant wins. Not knocking them just saying.

With IC going up 3a has the least depth of any class (assuming mac stays in 4a). I think Byron is the favorite, Lisle and Wilmo are the two teams that could contend. Wilmo has been so up and down and Lisle took a tough loss to CC this week so it’s hard to say. And the south side of 3a well, it’s the south, I’ll just leave it at that.

3A south is still not the north, but if Monticello and Williamsville both go south, that strengthens the bracket considerably.

Monticello and Williamsville typically go north and are solid programs. Monticello looks especially tough this year. With no private school juggernaut, the south has as good a chance as ever and better than usual.

3A south is still not the north, but if Monticello and Williamsville both go south, that strengthens the bracket considerably.

Monticello and Williamsville typically go north and are solid programs. Monticello looks especially tough this year. With no private school juggernaut, the south has as good a chance as ever and better than usual.

I’m not completely overlooking the south, I’m just following the trends. At college we always gave crap to the kids from southern Illinois and they have it back to us.

I think 3a lacks enough depth that you may see a champion from the south.

Also.....4A will be brutal!

Monticello wrecked the 3A/4A Illini Prairie Conference...have to figure the likely 3A South 1 seed is going to be a tough out, as the 3A favorites from that conference are usually tough (St. Joe Ogden, Tolono Unity, Monticello)...

Wilmington has an interesting quarter proposed...three public league teams, Herscher, Wilmo, Heart of Illinois runner up Eureka (the only 3A school in a 2A conference), Three Rivers conference mates Spring Valley Hall & Monmouth....Nobody is striking fear in me in that quarter...anybody could go to the semi there...

Byron - Lisle is the likely quarter on the other side of 3A north...

There are teams who will make the quarters and Semis that would be first round outs if their seed line moved one spot. However every sport is like that. There will be teams who lose tomorrow night in Volleyball that would be sectional finalist or even champs in nearby sectionals. Instead they will be first round outs.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
The match ups matter on how far one goes in the playoffs...no doubt about that. I am a wrestling fan and have seen those who lost in the state finals throw their medal away. Not saying that is a great mindset, but I understand it.

well that is just ridiculous. and simply childish. part of sportsmanship and becoming a MAN(mature adult) is learning how to win and LOSE. if you are going to throw an tantrum and discard your medal just because you did not win, YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE THERE. you are simply a crybaby that will eventually NEVER turn out to be anything other than a crybaby as an adult.

Reactions: Tain33
It does kinda suck for the team that draws a 7-2 Phillips first round with a higher seed, for example.

You might win but get banged up or become emotionally drained. Then you got the rest of the slate ahead of you.

why? what are you talking about get banged up??? why is so much put on phillips this year? they are not defensively sound as the last two years. and offensively struggling against good defenses.

it is simply unreal to read most of these posts. who got the easier path, this 5-4 gotta play that 7-1 team. they played their seasons and get seeded accordingly. if you cannot match up against the team in front of you.
YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO MOVE ON.

why? what are you talking about get banged up??? why is so much put on phillips this year? they are not defensively sound as the last two years. and offensively struggling against good defenses.

it is simply unreal to read most of these posts. who got the easier path, this 5-4 gotta play that 7-1 team. they played their seasons and get seeded accordingly. if you cannot match up against the team in front of you.
YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO MOVE ON.
I used Phillips as one example ... let's just say Team X, OK?
But to think folks don't look at their "path" is silly. If the goal is a title, then seeing an easier path is preferred by most folks ... except you of course.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT