ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on PC Program

PC Dad_MC Grad

Aug 22, 2018
Gents - long time viewer and admirer of the high school football knowledge all of you have. With Emdee1 no longer a voice from PC since his son graduated last year,I thought I would join in. I’ve been big fan and follower of PC football for last 10 years and of course my alum mater MC - class of ‘81. Hope I can add some insights to high school football even though I can’t hold a candle to you gents. Long time fan and follower of CCL football, baseball and hockey.

Would like to here thoughts on Providence for the upcoming year but more important thoughts on why the lower levels are hurting right now.

From what I have seen and heard inside the Emerald Isle is that this year offense will be solid especially with Renfro on the line still. Defense, which lost big time players, like Joey M and Sori-Moran, will be the wild card for their success or lack of. Team is also comparably small but has lots of speed.

Pc's problem is retention. It seems like every year they lose 3 to 6 of there top players to transfer. Reason being is when you surrounded by blue ribbon public schools that there parents are paying 10 k a year in taxes it's hard to pay another 12k for your kid to go to private school.

Pc's problem is retention. It seems like every year they lose 3 to 6 of there top players to transfer. Reason being is when you surrounded by blue ribbon public schools that there parents are paying 10 k a year in taxes it's hard to pay another 12k for your kid to go to private school.

Who are these top 9-18 players that PC has had transfer to the public schools in the last 3 years? I dont follow PC real closely, but I dont remember hearing about all these top players transferring from Provi every year. All Catholic schools have a fair amount of attrition due to cost

Just to the Lincoln ways. East - victor and Vaughan tedoro , qwynton johnson. West - Johnny Gardner
Central- Johnny Nowak.
I can list another 8 -10
Providence never really used to lose players to transfer like other catholic schools did.

Just to the Lincoln ways. East - victor and Vaughan tedoro , qwynton johnson. West - Johnny Gardner
Central- Johnny Nowak.
I can list another 8 -10
Providence never really used to lose players to transfer like other catholic schools did.
My buddy’s son plays for providence and is a senior. When he was a freshmen, provi was coming off a state title. All the premier kids from the football feeder programs were going to providence. What happened was that they had so much talent, not all these all stars could start. So by sophomore year, more then usual transferred out to Lincoln way schools. Also, there was some sort of coaching conflict between the players and the coaches on the sophomore level. A lot of players just quit playing football too. Not sure what that was about. From what he is telling me for this year is that their not going to be that good this year.

My buddy’s son plays for providence and is a senior. When he was a freshmen, provi was coming off a state title. All the premier kids from the football feeder programs were going to providence. What happened was that they had so much talent, not all these all stars could start. So by sophomore year, more then usual transferred out to Lincoln way schools. Also, there was some sort of coaching conflict between the players and the coaches on the sophomore level. A lot of players just quit playing football too. Not sure what that was about. From what he is telling me for this year is that their not going to be that good this year.

If it were just one class I would agree with you but it's not. Only 3 of the kids I listed were sr's. Their jr class lost their 3 best players after freshman year. Brandon lipowski plainfield south, Trevor swier montini, and jarin edwards plainfield north.

I had a son transfer from Provi over the last year to LWE and it was mainly a choice of wanting to play with his childhood buddies, and playing in our community. My son did not really fit into the overall culture at Provi, however its a great fit for some. I'd definitely still have many great things to say about the school, but recommend families conduct their due diligence and determine for themselves. There are plus and minuses to transferring but son says playing at LWE is a different experience than at Provi. Lot more depth (he came in at 6th string) and highly competitive based on number of players is something he did not experience at Provi.

problems with the sophomore coaching staff? they dont retain players after their frosh year. means the bad taste in their mouths come from the frosh staff.

those transfers leave for a variety of reasons. whatever they just dont work out. I know the two named on here left for other reasons other than football. Though they werent happy with the overall status of the program i know their were coaches that bent over backwards for the kids.

the transfers definitely hurt. Losing Nowak & Swier really hurt the football and wrestling programs. both would be 2 year starters at their respective positions.

Nowak was an Earl Campbell type of runner who was exciting as they came ! And Swier ran sideline to sideline with the best of them.

Sadly losing Nowak PC also lost out on his younger sibling who is as an exciting athlete as you can get and now the kid is wearing a different catholic league jersey!

I guess leadership all starts at the top and the blame starts there- yes???

Any successful high school program needs dependable feeder programs. If PC is struggling with the Lincoln Way grade school programs, then I don't know where they will make up the difference.

What is the story with the QB who transferred to Hillcrest?

Not sure of all the details on kid who went to Hillcrest but I know the dad (and kid) were frustrated with Smith (baseball - kid is pitcher) and Cogs regarding the kids playing weight. Also, the kid is QB and got the bump from Phillips/Conway for starting role.

Unless a kid is getting a boatload of financial aid, its probably tough to hold on to a kid that is not happy with the school or his sport and the parents have to spend a ton of money on tuition. If you can go to school for free and play more, that's probably a big draw.

I would guess Swier left because the Montini wrestling program is one of the top programs in the nation.

As alluded to already in one of the posts, I think being on the same team with your friends can be a very significant factor in where a kid decides to go for his high school football experience. I know we as adult fans often have our ideas and perspectives on where such-and-such kid should play, which can be quite different from the player's and his parents' views.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT