ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on ESL VS CG

The general thought I've seen is CG will/can win because we have not seen a team like them. But I don't think CG he's ever seen a team like this ESL squad.
Like I said in the other thread, I anticipate this being a very fun one between two great programs. It's all going to come down to defensive stops and turnovers

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
The general thought I've seen is CG will/can win because we have not seen a team like them. But I don't think CG he's ever seen a team like this ESL squad.
Odirty
Does Cary have any size on their lines? I was looking at MaxPreps and listed on their roster they seem small? I know MaxPreps is not reliable but I don’t know much about Cary. Maybe some Cary fans can chime in? 😊

CG O line is 225 on average. D line smaller. They are extremely disciplined and operate on speed with the triple option. Sheehan is the deep throwing and accurate QB they haven’t had before. I don’t think they can be shut out but stopping ESL’s offense is the challenge. They’ve only given up 14 per game on average but haven’t seen a team like this. They have their work cut out for them.

Esl just played a triple option team in PR for the title in 19.

Odirty
Does Cary have any size on their lines? I was looking at MaxPreps and listed on their roster they seem small? I know MaxPreps is not reliable but I don’t know much about Cary. Maybe some Cary fans can chime in? 😊
No size close to what they are going to be going up against in ESL, that is for sure. They’ve had like two D1 linemen on their Oline over the last probably 17 years, since their string of State Championship games started, with this being their sixth since 2004 (and five in the last 12 years).

They’re always undersized compared to their opponents on the lines. They rely on speed, athleticism and discipline, and they work extremely well together. Having said that, this will be like playing a whole different level for them. If the game is to be won in the trenches, they have their work cut out for them…

No size close to what they are going to be going up against in ESL, that is for sure. They’ve had like two D1 linemen on their Oline over the last probably 17 years, since their string of State Championship games started, with this being their sixth since 2004 (and five in the last 12 years).

They’re always undersized compared to their opponents on the lines. They rely on speed, athleticism and discipline, and they work extremely well together. Having said that, this will be like playing a whole different level for them. If the game is to be won in the trenches, they have their work cut out for them…
This game will be like Rocky 1. Not predicting a CG win but the matchup is similar.

Reactions: The Outfit
Hard to dispute that the triple option is not so well-suited for chasing points. I know current teams using this offense have 4 and 5-wide shotgun packages in their tool belt, but that is rarely enough to overcome 2 or 3-score deficits.

Hard to dispute that the triple option is not so well-suited for chasing points. I know current teams using this offense have 4 and 5-wide shotgun packages in their tool belt, but that is rarely enough to overcome 2 or 3-score deficits.
And that’s what frustrated me with CG’s loss to Providence in 2014. They’re a little more diverse now but they’ll have to do their best to keep ESL’s offense off the field. There’s no rocket science or secrets here.

This is a much different team that the 2014. We can be much more diverse in our offense and can throw the ball much more effectively than any previous year. But we do it within our offense structure. So far. Yes they are relatively small, but they are not trying to move people off the ball, they play low, very quick, and extremely disciplined. The other thing to remember and watch, everyone blocks, and I mean everyone. Sheahan, the QB is ALWAYS looking for someone to block.

Defensively, we are fast and run to the ball, and have one of the best defensive staffs in the state, led by Rick Splitt. He will have them in the right places to start, but can we compete physically?

I would argue that could be the best overall backfield that they have ever had in their run of consecutive playoff berths since 2004.

But... While ESL hasn't seen a team like CG, we have not see a team like ESL either. Bigger and more athletes on the field than anyone we have faced.

I'm not sure that either team will be able to stop the other, and whoever does, wins. I'm going to be Capt. Obvious here, but just like in 2012 vs CM, LB3 could be the difference, just like Treadwell was that year.

We will all just have to see, hoping for a great game.

I will say that ESL line is huge especially on offense. The D-Line is also big and will most likely be bigger then Cary’s O-L. The speed will be the Key. The O-Line for ESL is massive but will be unable to match a quick twitch fast D-line especially if they have a LB grew that can swarm the ball. That is a big if and i admit I don’t know Cary’s team well enough to know.. One thing I am sure is this will be the biggest most athletic team Carys has faced all year Hands down they will have their work cutout for them that’s a guarantee! The advantage for Cary is if they can keep it close and play mistake free football. ESL will have mistakes and penalties see previous games. The key for Cary can they keep it close enough to take advantage of the mistakes and win with their kicking game? This is the question because ESL is so talented they have been able to overcome and win regardless of these two short comings. Key for ESL is can they keep the penalties to a minimum and not get caught up in a poor field position game. Good luck to both teams it should be a great game, a true David vs Goliath!

CG historically has played with bigger, more athletic teams and either hung around well or beaten them. See Phillips 2018 quarterfinals., I remember hearing much then same things then. Now ESL has even more athletes, but I doubt that CG will be blown out. The Great thing is that we all will get to see it happen on the field.

I will say that ESL line is huge especially on offense. The D-Line is also big and will most likely be bigger then Cary’s O-L. The speed will be the Key. The O-Line for ESL is massive but will be unable to match a quick twitch fast D-line especially if they have a LB grew that can swarm the ball. That is a big if and i admit I don’t know Cary’s team well enough to know.. One thing I am sure is this will be the biggest most athletic team Carys has faced all year Hands down they will have their work cutout for them that’s a guarantee! The advantage for Cary is if they can keep it close and play mistake free football. ESL will have mistakes and penalties see previous games. The key for Cary can they keep it close enough to take advantage of the mistakes and win with their kicking game? This is the question because ESL is so talented they have been able to overcome and win regardless of these two short comings. Key for ESL is can they keep the penalties to a minimum and not get caught up in a poor field position game. Good luck to both teams it should be a great game, a true David vs Goliath!
Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think either the CG or ESL regulars on this board are making bold predictions because we don’t know each other’s team. Let the outsiders be the experts and I’ll wait for Saturday to see what happens.

CG O line is 225 on average. D line smaller. They are extremely disciplined and operate on speed with the triple option. Sheehan is the deep throwing and accurate QB they haven’t had before. I don’t think they can be shut out but stopping ESL’s offense is the challenge. They’ve only given up 14 per game on average but haven’t seen a team like this. They have their work cut out for them.
CG's first team d has given up even less than 14 pts per game. 1st team has only played into probably 2-3 4th Quarters. Most of the scores has come against the 2nd team.

Reactions: corey90
CG's first team d has given up even less than 14 pts per game. 1st team has only played into probably 2-3 4th Quarters. Most of the scores has come against the 2nd team.
All this is irrelevant for both teams. Neither has played against a team similar to the one they will face Saturday. All the theories are irrelevant to this point. Everyone seems fast until the face someone faster. No one can predict what will happen as neither has face the offense they are going to face Saturday. That is what make High School football so great.

The key to beating CG is to be disciplined on defense. You have to stay home , trust your teammates. The problem in beating them is it’s tough to get HS kids to buy into this. Emotions, instinct , aggression all things you want in your team go against this defensive philosophy.
ESL is one of the few teams that can just out score them if they don’t stop them defensively. Looking forward to this game.

All this is irrelevant for both teams. Neither has played against a team similar to the one they will face Saturday. All the theories are irrelevant to this point. Everyone seems fast until the face someone faster. No one can predict what will happen as neither has face the offense they are going to face Saturday. That is what make High School football so great.
I couldn't agree more, that is HS football in a nutshell, diversity of styles like no other level.

Triple option/veer teams are a pain in the @$$! No flying to the ball, but instead, you are counting guys coming out of the backfield, based on alignment. Stupid option!

That said, I bet the Flyers' scout team runs a pretty good triple-option by now based on how everyone has predicted 6A to shake out.

I believe, In the end, it will come Jimmy and Joes more than X's and O's.

I believe, In the end, it will come Jimmy and Joes more than X's and O's.
I hear ya on that, but I do like the matchup. No team in IL is going to match up with the Flyers physically. CG's scheme and disciplined approach at least gives them a chance to spring the huge upset. It's a game I'm very interested in seeing, which wouldn't be the case if CG was a typical spread team. It's the scheme and precision in which they run it that gives them a chance, IMO.

I hear ya on that, but I do like the matchup. No team in IL is going to match up with the Flyers physically. CG's scheme and disciplined approach at least gives them a chance to spring the huge upset. It's a game I'm very interested in seeing, which wouldn't be the case if CG was a typical spread team. It's the scheme and precision in which they run it that gives them a chance, IMO.
CG isn’t going to win in a shootout. It’s going to be about eating up the clock when they have the ball and hoping ESL doesn’t score every time they get the ball.

Last edited:
CG historically has played with bigger, more athletic teams and either hung around well or beaten them. See Phillips 2018 quarterfinals., I remember hearing much then same things then. Now ESL has even more athletes, but I doubt that CG will be blown out. The Great thing is that we all will get to see it happen on the field.
They watered the field down that year, I saw it with my own eyes!!

Just gonna throw this out there, While all the attention is on LB3. The Flyers defense is really good this year. They rise to the occasion when they have too. Watch them Saturday.
LB3 had three catches last week - five touches with punt returns and thee TDs. The ultimate decoy and he is thrilled to downfield block and abuse average humans.

I'm just curious, how many of you have actually seen CG play?

Full disclosure, I have only watch ESL in their televised games.

I'm just curious, how many of you have actually seen CG play?

Full disclosure, I have only watch ESL in their televised games.
I've watched them play and they are very good, they are certainly an underdog this weekend but I think their chances are a lot higher then most on this board are giving them. Its very similar to 2009 when they played Providence.

Reactions: atrain97
I've watched them play and they are very good, they are certainly an underdog this weekend but I think their chances are a lot higher then most on this board are giving them. Its very similar to 2009 when they played Providence.
In my head I know what CG’s strategy will be but I don’t want to talk about it anymore and will see what plays out.

In my head I know what CG’s strategy will be but I don’t want to talk about it anymore and will see what plays out.
I think Seaburg has learned lessons from how the 2012 & 2014 title games went against teams with far superior talent. 2018 the game plan was perfect and that is what they need to win. Excited for the kids to have the opportunity to play against East St. Louis. Always fun to play against a State Powerhouse.

Reactions: atrain97
I've seen CG play twice this season. On the Net vs. Huntley and live vs. LF.

Well prepared, well disciplined.

They will not be overwhelmed by ESL and will make this a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT