ADVERTISEMENT

This is what’s really annoying...

I'd really like to see some Lineman competitions without contact of course. Tire Flipping relays, pushing sleds, lifting weight, tug of war, individual or by team.

Who cares about any of that... that would in no way replace football... the point is if they can get together for 7 on 7 or a lineman challenge or any other sporting or social event then nothing is gained by not playing school sports.

Who cares about any of that... that would in no way replace football... the point is if they can get together for 7 on 7 or a lineman challenge or any other sporting or social event then nothing is gained by not playing school sports.
I absolutely agree with you, but that being said as the summer moves on and school continues to be delayed and seasons pushed back and delayed, I'd like to see the lineman get a chance to compete in some way and the lineman would like to as well. If you think I'm not starting and signing petitions and calling political offices daily to get them on the field, then you're wrong. Hell, I'm on my way to an NAIA camp this afternoon.

I absolutely agree with you, but that being said as the summer moves on and school continues to be delayed and seasons pushed back and delayed, I'd like to see the lineman get a chance to compete in some way and the lineman would like to as well. If you think I'm not starting and signing petitions and calling political offices daily to get them on the field, then you're wrong. Hell, I'm on my way to an NAIA camp this afternoon.

I’m on my way to the Hillsdale camp in Michigan tonight.... I’d rather my lineman kid (which is what he is) spend his time training (lifting, sprinting, or position specific) than go “compete” at some meaningless tug of war and tire flipping contest. But to each their own.

Reactions: Hillini74
I’m on my way to the Hillsdale camp in Michigan tonight.... I’d rather my lineman kid (which is what he is) spend his time training (lifting, sprinting, or position specific) than go “compete” at some meaningless tug of war and tire flipping contest. But to each their own.
I’m fairly certain mine can do both.

Irony is...the kids can't go to the school and play basketball, but they can go to the park and play...the kids can't do official school workouts and practices for football, but can play pickup games in their yards or the park...the kids can't play baseball/softball at school, but their travel teams are playing in state and out of state...

Our youth football league has gone the other way...they are playing unless the state/governor outright bans them from playing...They are posting daily on facebook reinforcing this position. Of course, Manteno has the interesting position of having their own field - they lease the western portion of the Manteno Veteran's Home property from the Veteran's Home and have developed their own facilities.

Mayor Lightfoot continues to defer to the state for extracurricular activities...but is proposing the hybrid model that seems to be rather popular...

Reactions: Gene K.
I'd really like to see some Lineman competitions without contact of course. Tire Flipping relays, pushing sleds, lifting weight, tug of war, individual or by team.
How do any of those activities actually translate to the game of football. Yes, even the weight lifting competition...
How many times in the course of a football game does a linemen exert absolute maximum physical exertion using a standard chest press grip? How about maximum physical exertion from a 90 squat position? Weightlifting is not football it's a supplemental activity meant to prepare the body to better achieve sport specific tasks. Without a training program that complements strength training a dynamic movements theres zero benefit. This idea would risk back and shoulder injuries before a season so super dads can high five each other while writing a check to another expert.
Each of those activities have a place in training protocol. As a competition, they're simply unnecessary risks of injury.

How do any of those activities actually translate to the game of football. Yes, even the weight lifting competition...
How many times in the course of a football game does a linemen exert absolute maximum physical exertion using a standard chest press grip? How about maximum physical exertion from a 90 squat position? Weightlifting is not football it's a supplemental activity meant to prepare the body to better achieve sport specific tasks. Without a training program that complements strength training a dynamic movements theres zero benefit. This idea would risk back and shoulder injuries before a season so super dads can high five each other while writing a check to another expert.
Each of those activities have a place in training protocol. As a competition, they're simply unnecessary risks of injury.
You realize these types of events happen regularly in a normal summer? West Aurora traditionally hosts one each year. Everyone is training or should have been. Furthermore, I’ve had several coaches express their desire to see more kids pushing cars, flipping tires and either pushing or pulling sleds. This also helps with team bonding and allowing for some competitive spirit.

St Louis county got all competition shut down yesterday due to a spike there they traced back to youth sports. Teams can practice in groups of 10 but can’t play each other.

You realize these types of events happen regularly in a normal summer? West Aurora traditionally hosts one each year. Everyone is training or should have been. Furthermore, I’ve had several coaches express their desire to see more kids pushing cars, flipping tires and either pushing or pulling sleds. This also helps with team bonding and allowing for some competitive spirit.
OL/DL training 4x week with EFT.
Im aware and have heard great things. He’s set for trainers.

Reactions: Laurarube
I'm very away of battle of the big butts at WA. There can be a difference of opinion in the coaching industry. I don't look down upon coaches that enter their teams into that competition. I and other coaches see absolutely zero football application to that competition. Might at well lift atlas stones, pull airplanes, and squat VW bugs with people sitting in it. I prefer to keep the athletes healthy, fast, and fresh while developing precise movement patterns and skills that translate to game night.

I'm very away of battle of the big butts at WA. There can be a difference of opinion in the coaching industry. I don't look down upon coaches that enter their teams into that competition. I and other coaches see absolutely zero football application to that competition. Might at well lift atlas stones, pull airplanes, and squat VW bugs with people sitting in it. I prefer to keep the athletes healthy, fast, and fresh while developing precise movement patterns and skills that translate to game night.
You act like this would be their only training. Maybe it’s just fun for the kids to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Googertys Dog
You act like this would be their only training. Maybe it’s just fun for the kids to do.
Better than doing CrossFit! It’s a fun thing to do that gets kids excited to compete. I would rather compete in these events rather than play for a coach who has his team doing CrossFit training. Box jumps, dot drills, band resistance drills. All gimmicks.

Better than doing CrossFit! It’s a fun thing to do that gets kids excited to compete. I would rather compete in these events rather than play for a coach who has his team doing CrossFit training. Box jumps, dot drills, band resistance drills. All gimmicks.
I kind of like the mobility involved in CrossFit if you have the right coaches

The topic started with 7 on 7. Is 7 on 7 just for fun or is it to develop timing, technique, decision making and skills that relate directly to the game? You stated you wish there were more events like that for linemen. I don't share that view and I stated why. It's ok to disagree. From a cultural perspective I'd rather enter them into a dodgeball tourney, take them to a waterpark, play 16" softball, or an overnight trip somewhere to build camaraderie and culture. The strongman competition is great for January and February, not June/July, too close to the season, too much unnecessary risk.

The topic started with 7 on 7. Is 7 on 7 just for fun or is it to develop timing, technique, decision making and skills that relate directly to the game? You stated you wish there were more events like that for linemen. I don't share that view and I stated why. It's ok to disagree. From a cultural perspective I'd rather enter them into a dodgeball tourney, take them to a waterpark, play 16" softball, or an overnight trip somewhere to build camaraderie and culture. The strongman competition is great for January and February, not June/July, too close to the season, too much unnecessary risk.
To each his own, I’m not confident in a fall season, so these comps now would be welcomed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT