ADVERTISEMENT

The Original Chicago Catholic League Thread - 2017 - Week Eleven

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
Might be your last chance to pick some winners -- this week's slate of games looks pretty challenging.
And it is confirmed: The Prep Bowl will be held at Gately, Friday November 24.
The Chicago Bears claim that they are still using Soldier Field. If anyone can confirm this, let us know.

8A:

(11) Hinsdale (Central) (8-2) @ (6) Wilmette (Loyola Academy) (9-1)
Sat 11/4 Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 1 pm

7A:
(2) Normal (Community) (10-0) @ (18) Chicago (Mt. Carmel) (7-3)
Sat 11/4 Chicago (Gately Stadium) 12 noon

(11) Chicago (St. Rita) (8-2) @ (6) St. Charles (North) (9-1)
Sat 11/4 St. Charles (North) 2 pm

6A:
(8) Burbank (St. Laurence) (7-3) @ (16) Darien (Hinsdale South) (6-4)
Sat 11/4 Darien (Hinsdale South) 6 pm

(5) Normal (Community West) (8-2) @ (13) New Lenox (Providence Catholic) (6-4) Sat 11/4 New Lenox (Providence Catholic) 2 pm

(6) Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) (8-2) @ (14) Aurora (Marmion Academy) (6-4) Sat 11/4 Aurora (Marmion Academy) 2 pm

2A:
(8) Chicago (C. Hope Academy) (8-2) @ (1) Sterling (Newman Central Catholic) (10-0) Sat 11/4 Sterling (Newman Central Catholic) 3 pm

Prep Bowl:
Leo @ Fenwick

DLS @ St Ignantius

Last edited:
Below are the Massey predictions in bold with the home field option. Below them in italic form are the Calpreps predictions. Underneath Calpreps is the consensus line between the two services from the CCL team view. Where two CCL teams play, the line is from favorites view. Happy pickings!

LA 28 HC 14
LA 22 HC 17
LA -9.5

Normal 31 MC 28
Normal 31 MC 27
MC +3.5

SCN 28 SR 27
SR 28 SCN 27
Pk

SL 31 HS 21
SL 35 HS 17
SL -14

PC 42 NCW 20
PC 35 NCW 21
PC -18

SHG 44 MA 24
SHG 48 MA 21
MA +23.5

Newman 48 Hope 0
Newman 38 Hope 21
Hope +32.5

Fenwick 41 Leo 7
Fenwick 31 Leo 13
Fenwick -26

DLS 22 Iggy 21
DLS 27 Iggy 24
DLS -2

I will return with my picks after digesting the 18 game films needed for accurate predictions

Last edited:
Below are the Massey predictions with the home field option

LA 28 HC 14

Normal 31 MC 28

SCN 28 SR 27

SL 31 HS 21

PC 42 NCW 20

SHG 44 MA 24

Newman 48 Hope 0

Fenwick 41 Leo 7

DLS 22 Iggy 21

I will return with my picks after digesting the 18 game films needed for accurate predictions

LA -14
MC +3
SCN -1
HS +10
NCW +22
MA +20
Hope +48
Leo +34
DLS -1

Reactions: RockSoup
Below are the Massey predictions with the home field option

LA 28 HC 14 LA 22 HC 17

Normal 31 MC 28
N 31 MC 27

SCN 28 SR 27
SR 28 SCN 27

SL 31 HS 21
SL 35 HS 17

PC 42 NCW 20
PC 35 NCW 21

SHG 44 MA 24
SHG 48 MA 21

Newman 48 Hope 0
Newman 38 Hope 21

Fenwick 41 Leo 7
F 31 Leo 13

DLS 22 Iggy 21
DLS 27 SI 24
I have added the Calpreps predictions. Surprisingly similar.
Also, I got Newman 41 Hope 20 for Massey. (I wonder if they have an "too scared to play in the city" factor in the algorithm.)

Below are the Massey predictions in bold with the home field option. Below them in italic form are the Calpreps predictions. Underneath Calpreps is the consensus line between the two services from the CCL team view. Where two CCL teams play, the line is from favorites view. Happy pickings!

LA 28 HC 14
LA 22 HC 17
LA -9.5

Normal 31 MC 28
Normal 31 MC 27
MC +3.5

SCN 28 SR 27
SR 28 SCN 27
Pk

SL 31 HS 21
SL 35 HS 17
SL -14

PC 42 NCW 20
PC 35 NCW 21
PC -18

SHG 44 MA 24
SHG 48 MA 21
MA +23.5

Newman 48 Hope 0
Newman 38 Hope 21
Hope +32.5

Fenwick 41 Leo 7
Fenwick 31 Leo 13
Fenwick -26

DLS 22 Iggy 21
DLS 27 Iggy 24
DLS -2

HC +9.5 As solid as LA is, having the QB keep it on a handful of read options really frustrates defenses. Will LA's QB and the staff feel that freedom to go to that well as needed. HC has been competitive with the Illinois upper tier this year. I see an LA win but HC is going to make them earn it.

MC +3.5 Normal is going to be a load for MC to get past. I don't know who wins but can't go wrong taking MC and the points at home.

HS +14 HS handled CM's speed well in the first round. StL has gifted burner in Clinton. Good game in Darien with a number too big for the 2nd round on the road.

PC -18 PC at home and their offense has done well all season but seems to be clicking at the right time with a defense that can be suffocating at times.

MA +23.5 MA home, grass, damp. I would really like to see MA win but think SHG wins but closer than the 23 points the algos show

Hope +32.5 keep riding Hope and the points until the algos figure out what to do with the forfeits. Anyway, I wanted to mention that the Trib op-ed did a story about the Bishop Mac alums that went down and cooked for the Hope football team in what have should've been their senior night game vs Bishop Mac but ended up being a flag game vs faculty. The Bishop Mac grads cooked and donated money to the program. Whoever those guys/gals were, man, that's solid and pumped me up to be a better Catholic. Thanks.

Leo +26 In one last spirited effort, the Mighty Lions try to steal one in Oak Park. It won't happen but could keep it close early until Fenwick shakes out of it.

DLS -2 Nothing against my Jesuit friends, but I like this D team. Their coach, their fans and posters on this board. This will be a game with some classic Catholic League hitting but D is a bit better that night.

It may look like I forgot the SR/SCN game but I have not. This one is going to be a very, very tight well played game between two teams that match up very well. I'm still dissecting the film on these two and will submit a pick tomorrow.

Happy Footballin' friends!

Reactions: ignazio
SR at SCN

When I first saw the possibility of this game, the score 45-44 popped in my head. This game has all the makings of a classic. Both teams have speed and fire power. If you don't love #5 of SCN's game, you don't love football. Dynamic, fast, tough ball player. And that's before you get to #27 and QB #9 and a host of other North Stars, just a well put together, well-coached team. And SR gets them on the road. The above algos saw the game as I did. Both services predicting a one point, one score game.

But a poster that's more familiar with SCN has the North Stars winning by 3 scores and edgy himself predicting a double digit victory for SCN leading me to question my own estimation of my beloved Mustangs. Then I said screw it, I've seen SR live plenty. They have a great edge to them that recent Mustang teams have been missing to some extent. This team has risen to many challenges they have faced. They enjoy playing football and they enjoy picking each other up. I'm taking the Mustangs 35 to 34. Paraphrasing Admiral David Farragut's actual orders while under heavy fire at the battle of Mobile Bay, "Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead!"

Reactions: FalconPadre
Loyola 35 Hinsdale 14
Loyola may not take their foot of the gas as early as they did last week. Last week’s 4th quarter scare was a good thing as it make it easier for the coaches to keep the kids from booking rooms for the state finals. Special nutritional power bars at half time will supply that 4th quarter burst of energy.

MC 35 Normal 14
MC never has a problem keeping their foot on the gas. Will they Maine South their 5th team of the year? No - competition is getting a little tougher now but it’s still an easy win.

SR 31 SCN 30
This is the tough one. Who plays QB for SR?

STL 28 Darien 24
STL may have that speed battle won. Late 4th quarter score on a long run wins this won.

PC 28 NCW 24
PC’s OL wears them out by the 4th quarter.

Sacred Heart-Griffin 30 Marmion Academy 21
Marmion will play an inspired game.

Newman Central Catholic 35 Hope 21
Newman has too may tools but kind of want to root for Hope after the stuff they went thru this season.

Fenwick 35 over Leo 14
Again like to root for the underdogs but Fenwick has too much for Leo. Hope they do not run up the score in this won.

DLS 24 IGGY 21
Could be the best game of the bunch.

BR remains undefeated in post season

Last edited:
Loyola 35 Hinsdale 14
Loyola may not take their foot of the gas as early as they did last week. Last week’s 4th quarter scare was a good thing as it make it easier for the coaches to keep the kids from booking rooms for the state finals. Special nutritional power bars a half time will supply that 4th quarter burst of energy.

MC 35 Normal 14
MC never has a problem keeping their foot on the gas. Will they Maine South their 5th team of the year? No - competition is getting a little tougher now but it’s still an easy win.

SR 31 SCN 30
This is the tough one. Who plays QB for SR?

STL 28 Darien 24
STL may have that speed battle won. Late 4th quarter score on a long run wins this won.

PC 28 NCW 24
PC’s OL wears them out by the 4th quarter.

Sacred Heart-Griffin 30 Marmion Academy 21
Marmion will play an inspired game.

Newman Central Catholic 35 Hope 21
Newman has too may tools but kind of want to root for Hope after the stuff they went thru this season.

Fenwick 35 over Leo 14
Again like to root for the underdogs but Fenwick has too much for Leo. Hope they do not run up the score in this won.

DLS 24 IGGY 21
Could be the best game of the bunch.

BR remains undefeated in post season
As we know, nutrition is very important. Take it from me. I'm 40 lbs overweight (in my bra ;) Sorry, I know I'm a Loyola alum, but I'm not trying to be misogynistic).

Reactions: SOUTHSIDECFD
Working upwards ...
I'll take the Wolves and the 2 points, the whole Friars and their three TDs, Comets (by ten), the Cadets and the 23.5 points, Celts will win (but not cover), Vikes will win (but not cover), and how do you algo a team that can beat C-M but lose to Leyden?
Caravan will roll into AB Normal and roll out with a win.

And in the BETH BOWL (of which she is not attending) will the 4th quarter become a 7-on-7 matchup to make it interesting again or are we allowed to play defense?
I like the Ramblers by 6.

Reactions: Bowie50
Working upwards ...
I'll take the Wolves and the 2 points, the whole Friars and their three TDs, Comets (by ten), the Cadets and the 23.5 points, Celts will win (but not cover), Vikes will win (but not cover), and how do you algo a team that can beat C-M but lose to Leyden?
Caravan will roll into AB Normal and roll out with a win.

And in the BETH BOWL (of which she is not attending) will the 4th quarter become a 7-on-7 matchup to make it interesting again or are we allowed to play defense?
I like the Ramblers by 6.
SR v SCN?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT