ADVERTISEMENT

The new E Learning

I was told one school attempting to bring back students had 40% of the students and about 40% of the teachers opt out.

Or you could be the elementary schools in Wheaton where they had 73% in class participation and when the first opt back in day hits on 11/12 for E learning kids to return they are going to have more kids than seats so some students may be stuck in E Learning. Middle school and HS in Wheaton start going live next week.

Interesting thing from a catholic school faculty chair at a CCL school. The hybrid model is actually causing the curriculum to advance further due to the lower in person numbers. You have a better opportunity for one on one interaction when you are in the building and more student engagement with lower class sizes.

For the higher level classes this person saw that happen in the spring but it is much more impactful this year.

The discussion now begins as e learning becomes a part of life how is it used when COVID is not an issue.

Interesting thing from a catholic school faculty chair at a CCL school. The hybrid model is actually causing the curriculum to advance further due to the lower in person numbers. You have a better opportunity for one on one interaction when you are in the building and more student engagement with lower class sizes.

For the higher level classes this person saw that happen in the spring but it is much more impactful this year.

The discussion now begins as e learning becomes a part of life how is it used when COVID is not an issue.

If you are at a school when all of the teachers attend school live, I can see this. Unfortunately for many of our neighbors, even when school reopens, many are just watching their teacher on Zoom.

If you are at a school when all of the teachers attend school live, I can see this. Unfortunately for many of our neighbors, even when school reopens, many are just watching their teacher on Zoom.
Sounds like that’s what we’ll get when our kids go hybrid this week. You can be there physically but your teacher can be on Zoom and you might have a supervisor in the room. My confidence level is low.

Sounds like that’s what we’ll get when our kids go hybrid this week. You can be there physically but your teacher can be on Zoom and you might have a supervisor in the room. My confidence level is low.
That's what my kids are doing too. They are still on zoom when in school, wearing headphones, to help things sync between the teacher, in school, and at home kids. Both of my kids still prefer the in school though. Social interaction is a big deal.

Reactions: Gene K.
my 1st grader started up yesterday, half days in person. 4 kids in the class. Ain't nobody spreading COVID in such a setting...

Oswego announced last night at the board meeting that high school kids in the district will not go back in person until January 11th. :oops:

Oswego announced last night at the board meeting that high school kids in the district will not go back in person until January 11th. :oops:
That they did, but Oswego is a whole different situation than most districts.

I can only imagine the exodus
Tried to warn everyone when the last referendum was voted on, but many didn't believe it would come to this. The kicker is, the Gov told us to live within our budget (even though the state owes the district 50 plus million and only funds it 60%), yet, he passed a budget in June that heavily relies on a Federal bailout.

• Haha
I get to talking with a young mom with a daughter in a K-2nd grade building from a SW suburban public elementary district in Will County. They are in-person 5 days a week now after an all-remote start. Two interesting health protocols, among some others:
  • They all wear school-issued fanny-packs daylong with extra mask, hand sanitizer, gloves and disinfectant wipes.
  • Masks are required even at outdoor recess. However, if you want to take it off, you must stand in place on one of the physically-distanced spots marked with an "X" in the play area.
Interesting times in which we live.

True story from a Joliet-area middle school relayed by a staff member at the school. A Zoom platform session was intruded upon by 2 unauthorized males. An episode of lewd exposure shortly followed as seen by about a half-dozen students along with a couple teachers. Very disturbing.

True story from a Joliet-area middle school relayed by a staff member at the school. A Zoom platform session was intruded upon by 2 unauthorized males. An episode of lewd exposure shortly followed as seen by about a half-dozen students along with a couple teachers. Very disturbing.
This type of stuff angers me so much. If I put downwshat I think should happen to these two, the thread would be flushed. Their mothers must be so proud of them.

I really hope this article it wrong but the effect of closing schools could be catastrophic.

Key Points
Question Based on the current understanding of the associations between school disruption and decreased educational attainment and between decreased educational attainment and lower life expectancy, is it possible to estimate the association between school closure during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic and decreased life expectancy of publicly educated primary school–aged children in the United States?

Findings This decision analytical model found that missed instruction during 2020 could be associated with an estimated 5.53 million years of life lost. This loss in life expectancy was likely to be greater than would have been observed if leaving primary schools open had led to an expansion of the first wave of the pandemic.

Meaning These findings suggest that the decision to close US public primary schools in the early months of 2020 may be associated with a decrease in life expectancy for US children.

I really hope this article it wrong but the effect of closing schools could be catastrophic.

Key Points
Question Based on the current understanding of the associations between school disruption and decreased educational attainment and between decreased educational attainment and lower life expectancy, is it possible to estimate the association between school closure during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic and decreased life expectancy of publicly educated primary school–aged children in the United States?

Findings This decision analytical model found that missed instruction during 2020 could be associated with an estimated 5.53 million years of life lost. This loss in life expectancy was likely to be greater than would have been observed if leaving primary schools open had led to an expansion of the first wave of the pandemic.

Meaning These findings suggest that the decision to close US public primary schools in the early months of 2020 may be associated with a decrease in life expectancy for US children.

It's horrific. I think about all of the kids on the edge of dropping out. The kids who have found "other stuff" to do since they were forced out of school buildings in the spring and not allowed to go back in the fall. Those kids aren't coming back to school. They'll drop out. All of the kids that stick with school, not because they like school, but because they love the extracurricular things like sports, music,, drama, etc... Without that engagement, those kids drop out as well. Not to mention the kids that will get behind in school during this remote learning farce, get frustrated, then stop trying and eventually drop out. It's going to happen in a huge way. And the kids getting abused, neglected, etc...
If parents don't want to send their kids to school, fine. Don't send them. Adults get to make adult decisions. Reality is, a lot of kids need school for reasons beyond their current classroom or this school year. Those kids are being forgotten, and it is a tragedy.

On a positive note, the abstracts don't seem very conclusive or confident. It's an interesting mix of medical expertise amongst the authors.

It's horrific. I think about all of the kids on the edge of dropping out. The kids who have found "other stuff" to do since they were forced out of school buildings in the spring and not allowed to go back in the fall. Those kids aren't coming back to school. They'll drop out. All of the kids that stick with school, not because they like school, but because they love the extracurricular things like sports, music,, drama, etc... Without that engagement, those kids drop out as well. Not to mention the kids that will get behind in school during this remote learning farce, get frustrated, then stop trying and eventually drop out. It's going to happen in a huge way. And the kids getting abused, neglected, etc...
If parents don't want to send their kids to school, fine. Don't send them. Adults get to make adult decisions. Reality is, a lot of kids need school for reasons beyond their current classroom or this school year. Those kids are being forgotten, and it is a tragedy.
You are 100% right! But even if the kids showed up at CPS schools, the CTU would object to the teachers being at the school to teach as of now.

Reactions: Thedoctor50
What's the word about the presence or absence of semester finals in the public or private high schools of which you have knowledge? I learned D230 (Sandburg, Stagg, Andrew) will not be having any. Is this commonplace at the present time - I have not heard.

What's the word about the presence or absence of semester finals in the public or private high schools of which you have knowledge? I learned D230 (Sandburg, Stagg, Andrew) will not be having any. Is this commonplace at the present time - I have not heard.

I think most pubic schools are looking to find ways to pass kids at this point.

My kids district (205 - Elmhurst) don't have finals for everyone. The decision was left up to individual departments what they wanted to schedule one or not (test, project, nothing, etc.) I haven't checked with my kids to see how many actual tests they have.

My junior son still continues to struggle and he’s looking at failing 2 classes. Can’t get through to him. I wonder if colleges will consider 2020 when looking at transcripts. I’m not looking at giving him a pass but he’s hurting his chances.

My kids district (205 - Elmhurst) don't have finals for everyone. The decision was left up to individual departments what they wanted to schedule one or not (test, project, nothing, etc.) I haven't checked with my kids to see how many actual tests they have.
D211 is the same.

As first semester ends in the classroom ...
  • pass about everyone particularly if a parent squawks and the administrators do not have the teacher's back
  • few or no final exams
  • college entrance exams not likely to be given by the state and not even used by universities
  • cheating methods via remote learning spreading and dominating like a virus
  • dumb down the curriculum to the point of it being a shadow of its former self.
Sounds like in many public HS districts input from school boards and building admin is limited. Superintendents drive the decisions often founded in collaborations and comparisons involving similar districts, often from the same athletic conference.

• pass about everyone particularly if a parent squawks and the administrators do not have the teacher's back
  • few or no final exams
  • college entrance exams not likely to be given by the state and not even used by universities
  • dumb down the curriculum to the point of it being a shadow of its former self.
Sounds like in many public HS districts input from school boards and building admin is limited. Superintendents drive the decisions often founded in collaborations and comparisons involving similar districts, often from the same athletic conference.
It’s funny that I stress about my kid potentially failing 2 classes but they won’t fail anybody in covid unless you put in zero effort. Gonna be a lot of freebies this year.

Most kids aren't even bothering to cheat.
It’s funny that I stress about my kid potentially failing 2 classes but they won’t fail anybody in covid unless you put in zero effort. Gonna be a lot of freebies this year.

Teachers are unofficially told to give Ds if the kids show up to the zoom and turn in things occasionally at many places. The only ones who fail are the ones who don't show and do nothng.

Most kids aren't even bothering to cheat.

Teachers are unofficially told to give Ds if the kids show up to the zoom and turn in things occasionally at many places. The only ones who fail are the ones who don't show and do nothng.
I figured that. My kid doesn’t need to know that though.

• Wow
And sadly the general public continues to shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, it is what it is". What I will remember most about 2020, more so than covid specifically, is that as a nation we collectively just decided to give up on our kids- in education, mental health, socially. Just flat out gave up while other countries started with the idea that kids are in school no matter what and then worked backwards from there.

Saw today that Warren super said they are going to look to make it mandatory for kids to have webcams on during remote learning soon, and priority is to start hybrid in January. Porter school in Indiana is looking to cancel e-learning all together citing all the examples in this thread and say we have to be in-person (they will still allow e-learning for medical reasons only with a doctor note).

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
And sadly the general public continues to shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, it is what it is". What I will remember most about 2020, more so than covid specifically, is that as a nation we collectively just decided to give up on our kids- in education, mental health, socially. Just flat out gave up while other countries started with the idea that kids are in school no matter what and then worked backwards from there.

Saw today that Warren super said they are going to look to make it mandatory for kids to have webcams on during remote learning soon, and priority is to start hybrid in January. Porter school in Indiana is looking to cancel e-learning all together citing all the examples in this thread and say we have to be in-person (they will still allow e-learning for medical reasons only with a doctor note).
What school is this? I googled Porter school and a bunch of different things popped up

Reactions: PowerI66
  • few or no final exams
HA! My daughter has 7 tests this week as they finish everyday of in-person instruction since August.

Benet takes finals after Christmas break - no COVID mercy exams

Go Catholic schools - keep leading the way -

What does East St. Louis say All Gas No Brakes

Catholic schools this year are All Education, No Unions!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT