ADVERTISEMENT

The new E Learning

ClownBaby

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2006
I have been reading threads here for months about how much better E Learning will be this year and today D200 Wheaton rolled out their elementary summer school program that my son participated in. My first impression since I sat in was overall there is more content and the teachers have a better understanding of how to utilize the software so it is light years ahead of where it ended last year which was a pretty low bar if we are being honest. The software is going to be hard for younger kids to use and many of the same problems with down time when trying to do classroom interactions will remain.

Overall it is a much better experience but I have a feeling many people advocating for E Learning will be the first ones to complain since it is not going to live up to their expectations and what is being offered is an inferior product to the classroom experience. Also one thing I can see happening that won't be evident right away is the testing gap between rich and poor kids is going to explode and have lasting impact for years to come. I could be wrong and hope I am but I really think once school gets going there will be some buyers remorse so I'm glad my kids will be back in the classroom.

Last edited:
I have been reading threads here for months about how much better E Learning will be this year and today D200 Wheaton rolled out their elementary summer school program that my son participated in. My first impression since I sat in was overall there is more content and the teachers have a better understanding of how to utilize the software so it is light years ahead of where it ended last year which was a pretty low bar if we are being honest. The software is going to be hard for younger kids to use and many of the same problems with down time when trying to do classroom interactions will remain.

Overall it is a much better experience but I have a feeling many people advocating for E Learning will be the first ones to complain since it is not going to live up to their expectations and what is being offered is an inferior product to the classroom experience. Also one thing I can see happening that won't be evident right away is the testing gap between rich and poor kids is going to explode and have lasting impact for years to come. I could be wrong but I really think once school gets going there will be some buyers remorse so I'm glad my kids will be back in the classroom.

Agree, nothing will compare to real in class learning. My hope is at least teachers are more prepared than in the spring. And I get that it was thrusted on them right away. IMO there is a bid difference with finishing out the year e-learning for a month or so and starting the year e-learning and expecting it for at least half the year.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Also one thing I can see happening that won't be evident right away is the testing gap between rich and poor kids is going to explode and have lasting impact for years to come.
Unfortunately, education has that issue already in this country. One of the, if not the most, looked at issues in education. Lot of correlations to teacher pay as well

I’m not certain about this, but I don’t think remote learning was supposed to be implemented until this school year or next. So last spring was a mess for everyone involved. I have three teachers on my block, and socially distanced driveway happy hours tell me that they’ve been preparing a ton over the summer.

Reactions: johnndoe
Here is what I make of the D230 (Sandburg, Stagg, Andrew) model. If the attendance region of the district falls to IL Phases 1, 2 or 3 then all remote learning will be the rule. If IL Phase 4 holds to the start of school, the family (for entire semester) will choose between blended or all remote with some wriggle room for the district in the former. One stage allows for 2 onsite days M-F, but a more restrictive stage permits but 1 onsite day per week. For the onsite days, class periods will meet for either 35 or 42 mins. depending if it occurs on a lunch period. Finally, if IL Phase 5 would be reached for this region, all onsite will be instituted. You can be the judge if this represents enough onsite, whether the class periods are sufficient in length and how it stacks up against "rival" LW 210 planning to meet onsite 3 days one week and 2 the next on an alternating basis.

Not directed at you OP.

I'm confident my girls' teachers are going to do a great job, pushing themselves to be better. No teacher got into the profession expecting to teach from home, so that insane adjustment on the fly I give them props for. This year they need to be better and they will.

If anyone doubts their schools, you should be getting involved immediately or moving.

Not directed at you OP.

I'm confident my girls' teachers are going to do a great job, pushing themselves to be better. No teacher got into the profession expecting to teach from home, so that insane adjustment on the fly I give them props for. This year they need to be better and they will.

If anyone doubts their schools, you should be getting involved immediately or moving.

The teachers will better and I'm sure they are giving 100% but the problem is still the vehicle for delivery is wrong. I will be interested when they start tracking E learning vs classroom student performance over the next 5-10 years how it pans out.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
D218 (Eisenhower, Richards, Shepard) will start all remote during the 3 weeks before Labor Day Weekend followed by transition to onsite instruction 2 of 5 days of the week with 50% cap on student occupancy at any time. Any family may opt out of the latter and continue full-time remote.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Lately I seem to be reading more about eLearning platforms being sub-contracted out to 3rd party entities that may not be aligned with district curriculum thereby not subject to input from actual school staff. Anything to report on this from out in this forum?

Lately I seem to be reading more about eLearning platforms being sub-contracted out to 3rd party entities that may not be aligned with district curriculum thereby not subject to input from actual school staff. Anything to report on this from out in this forum?
I've heard nothing about this. I could see potentially smaller districts doing this though

Can you please share a link to a story you read about this, please?

Chicago Archdiocese is doing this.

Reactions: johnndoe
LW District 210 has scheduled an emergency Board of Education meeting for tonight. They were set to begin a hybrid model based upon alternating weeks of 3 days in-person followed by 2 days in-person. That start was pushed back for a week to 8/24 as of just last Thursday. Wonder if this meeting represents the big move to remote now?

LW District 210 has scheduled an emergency Board of Education meeting for tonight. They were set to begin a hybrid model based upon alternating weeks of 3 days in-person followed by 2 days in-person. That start was pushed back for a week to 8/24 as of just last Thursday. Wonder if this meeting represents the big move to remote now?
Gotta have something to do with that. All their feeders went remote over the weekend too. I think it was down to just them and Bradley as the only public HS that were still hybrid? Maybe Lemont, not sure?

I’ll lay down $100. That’s exactly what happened with D155.

Last edited:

The state keeps adjusting the requirements for in person learning making it next to impossible for high schools to have students in class, if JB doesn’t want kids in class he should just say it rather than moving the goal posts a week before the start of school.

D200 Wheaton is now going remote for HS and Middle School but is still doing in person for elementary. They spent all summer planning to have students back in class only to have the requirements changed when there isn’t enough time to meet them on day 1, it’s complete BS.

Last edited:
Gotta have something to do with that. All their feeders went remote over the weekend too. I think it was down to just them and Bradley as the only public HS that were still hybrid? Maybe Lemont, not sure?
As of info on the Lemont HS website just now (dated 7/21), a hybrid 50% in-person and 50% remote is supposed to kick in next week.

The state keeps adjusting the requirements for in person learning making it next to impossible for high schools to have students in class, if JB doesn’t want kids in class he should just say it rather than moving the goal posts a week before the start of school.

D200 Wheaton is now going remote for HS and Middle School but is still doing in person for elementary. They spent all summer planning to have students back in class only to have the requirements changed when there isn’t enough time to meet them on day 1, it’s complete BS.
JB isn't going to do anything to say he didn't make the decision. He will make the health department come up with guidance that make it near impossible and then say it was the science not him.

Yeah the text a week before school was a nice touch in here.

I’ll lay down $100. That’s exactly what happened with D155.
http://www.lw210.org/community/news/stories.php?id=1639 All remote start on 8/31 until at best 9/21 due to Will County warning level designation by State of IL. However, 25% of students will alternately enter buildings 1 day each next week on a modified schedule to meet teachers and get materials for start of remote learning the following week.

There is about a 1 percent chance anyone who is remote goes back before January 1st. 50% chance at best sometime in the spring. I can not see the guidelines being loosened. Now if they are loosened then you will see at half of these districts go back to school in some fashion.

We started yesterday remote D155. Supposed to reassess in October with potential return to hybrid 10/13. Not happening. They’re just throwing spaghetti at the wall.

I will be curious to see the remote participation numbers in a few weeks. As in how many kids are logging on and doing work.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
I will be curious to see the remote participation numbers in a few weeks. As in how many kids are logging on and doing work.
We made our kids agree to a contract. Shit got out of hand last year and we’re not doing it again.

We started yesterday remote D155. Supposed to reassess in October with potential return to hybrid 10/13. Not happening. They’re just throwing spaghetti at the wall.
There is another word you could use in place of "spaghetti."

Six weeks ago I said something like this would happen. It was done by design so people have no time to complain or adjust.

Six weeks ago I said something like this would happen. It was done by design so people have no time to complain or adjust.
LW 210 change to all remote was due to the placement of Will County on a state warning level. Numbers, updated weekly, in eight categories are monitored for each county in: cases per 100000, deaths, test positivity, ICU availabilities, ER visits, hospital admissions, tests performed and outbreak clusters. Target levels exist for each category, but the IDPH website info on how many of these indicators must not be met to get a county at the warning level is not clearly spelled out.

Last edited:
Now it is starting to get real for some households. Two working parents and a 9 & 10 year old on all remote learning needing to be online during normal school day hours for the foreseeable future. What the hell is supposed to be done here?

Now it is starting to get real for some households. Two working parents and a 9 & 10 year old on all remote learning needing to be online during normal school day hours for the foreseeable future. What the hell is supposed to be done here?
I hear you brother. Same here with 14 and 16. Older but challenges none the less.

Last edited:
Reactions: mates1
Some of us predicted this months ago. That probably included you. This is hard on a lot of people. I thank God I am not in that boat. But, it doesn't mean I don't care. This whole thing has been handled poorly.

Reactions: Gene K.
Gov of TN rocked the boat yesterday signing some legislation that provides sweeping immunity for schools, business, etc from frivolous lawsuits related to covid. Could be important step in the education field if everyone follows suit. Or could perhaps pave the way for more of a waiver system now if state law provides some immunity.

Also of note: white house has put education formally on list of essential workers. It is guidance at the moment. But states that teachers should be in the building as long as they are not showing symptoms. This greatly differs from many of the individual state and local health guidelines at the moment. Most now say anybody has to quarantine if exposed and not showing symptoms. Will see if this trickles down to updated local guidelines now. The WH wants them in the building, and this helps the cause by saying even if you are exposed, you should can work in-person as long as you aren't showing symptoms.

St. Viator goes live, in-person, on Monday for 5 days a week We will see how long that lasts.

LW 210 change to all remote was due to the placement of Will County on a state warning level. Numbers, updated weekly, in eight categories are monitored for each county in: cases per 100000, deaths, test positivity, ICU availabilities, ER visits, hospital admissions, tests performed and outbreak clusters. Target levels exist for each category, but the IDPH website info on how many of these indicators must not be met to get a county at the warning level is not clearly spelled out.
Just learned if a county reaches any 2 of these 8 thresholds above, their warning level gets elevated. Twenty counties on warning list as of today.

An article in today's Chicago Tribune revealed that IDPH failed to investigate nursing home complaints for 3 months during the outbreak which killed thousands. Guess they weren't worried about the elderly who are in the highest risk category to die.

A certain university campus (not Madison) in the UW System will start classes on their customary day-after-Labor Day with a mix of in-person, hybrid and remote. If your schedule is or becomes all remote, you can go/stay home with refund expected of on-campus room and board. However, your housing deposit will not be returned and your semester 2 placement not guaranteed upon vacating your residence hall.

ADVERTISEMENT