The new E Learning

Discussion in 'Edgy's Lost His Mind Free Football Board' started by ClownBaby, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ClownBaby

ClownBaby Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have been reading threads here for months about how much better E Learning will be this year and today D200 Wheaton rolled out their elementary summer school program that my son participated in. My first impression since I sat in was overall there is more content and the teachers have a better understanding of how to utilize the software so it is light years ahead of where it ended last year which was a pretty low bar if we are being honest. The software is going to be hard for younger kids to use and many of the same problems with down time when trying to do classroom interactions will remain.

Overall it is a much better experience but I have a feeling many people advocating for E Learning will be the first ones to complain since it is not going to live up to their expectations and what is being offered is an inferior product to the classroom experience. Also one thing I can see happening that won't be evident right away is the testing gap between rich and poor kids is going to explode and have lasting impact for years to come. I could be wrong and hope I am but I really think once school gets going there will be some buyers remorse so I'm glad my kids will be back in the classroom.

1 ClownBaby, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. SiuCubFan8

SiuCubFan8 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Agree, nothing will compare to real in class learning. My hope is at least teachers are more prepared than in the spring. And I get that it was thrusted on them right away. IMO there is a bid difference with finishing out the year e-learning for a month or so and starting the year e-learning and expecting it for at least half the year.

ClownBaby likes this.
  3. PowerI66

PowerI66 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, education has that issue already in this country. One of the, if not the most, looked at issues in education. Lot of correlations to teacher pay as well

4. stripes13

stripes13 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m not certain about this, but I don’t think remote learning was supposed to be implemented until this school year or next. So last spring was a mess for everyone involved. I have three teachers on my block, and socially distanced driveway happy hours tell me that they’ve been preparing a ton over the summer.

johnndoe likes this.
  5. Simon "GHOST' Riley

Simon "GHOST' Riley Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

6. johnndoe

johnndoe Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Here is what I make of the D230 (Sandburg, Stagg, Andrew) model. If the attendance region of the district falls to IL Phases 1, 2 or 3 then all remote learning will be the rule. If IL Phase 4 holds to the start of school, the family (for entire semester) will choose between blended or all remote with some wriggle room for the district in the former. One stage allows for 2 onsite days M-F, but a more restrictive stage permits but 1 onsite day per week. For the onsite days, class periods will meet for either 35 or 42 mins. depending if it occurs on a lunch period. Finally, if IL Phase 5 would be reached for this region, all onsite will be instituted. You can be the judge if this represents enough onsite, whether the class periods are sufficient in length and how it stacks up against "rival" LW 210 planning to meet onsite 3 days one week and 2 the next on an alternating basis.

7. epicbret

epicbret Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not directed at you OP.

I'm confident my girls' teachers are going to do a great job, pushing themselves to be better. No teacher got into the profession expecting to teach from home, so that insane adjustment on the fly I give them props for. This year they need to be better and they will.

If anyone doubts their schools, you should be getting involved immediately or moving.

Gene K., MS4EVER and PowerI66 like this.
  8. ClownBaby

ClownBaby Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The teachers will better and I'm sure they are giving 100% but the problem is still the vehicle for delivery is wrong. I will be interested when they start tracking E learning vs classroom student performance over the next 5-10 years how it pans out.

GhostOfTheGhhost likes this.
  9. johnndoe

Expand Collapse

D218 (Eisenhower, Richards, Shepard) will start all remote during the 3 weeks before Labor Day Weekend followed by transition to onsite instruction 2 of 5 days of the week with 50% cap on student occupancy at any time. Any family may opt out of the latter and continue full-time remote.

RD_Watcher likes this.
  10. johnndoe

Expand Collapse

Lately I seem to be reading more about eLearning platforms being sub-contracted out to 3rd party entities that may not be aligned with district curriculum thereby not subject to input from actual school staff. Anything to report on this from out in this forum?

11. PowerI66

PowerI66 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've heard nothing about this. I could see potentially smaller districts doing this though

12. AmbroseBlack

AmbroseBlack Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Can you please share a link to a story you read about this, please?

13. mc140

mc140 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Chicago Archdiocese is doing this.

johnndoe likes this.