ADVERTISEMENT

The New CS8.... 2024 Schedule

The real question is will Rochester be the only premiere program in the conference moving forward? The addition of QND hurts the conference prestige worse than the mess that is Eisenhower, Chatham is always severely overrated, SHG is the new dying dog of the area now that Plantation Ken has taken his show to a beach somewhere. 186 is always a mess.

Will it only be Rochester representing? I think yes, expect a lot from this young team as they set the tone for the next few years of dominance as new faces with old names make it clear we will earn another easy 4A title. Do the other CS8 schools even practice?
has the legend perhaps returned...?

My favorite thing about you is you think this low brow stuff (that took you over a day to come up with) is funny and witty.
A brow too low for you, Mr. Simmons? Now that is funny. I'm laughing at you. You're also softer than I remember...

98.65% and in the heart of Sangamon County, Illinois. We don't need a historical scholar or the like to connect these dots. I think we can all guess why you collect those monthly fraternal dues from your local followers in Rochester.

Hopefully we can enjoy some football soon, and less... eh, the hooded horse is dead. Enjoy the season, sir.

It’s gonna be hard enjoying all those embarrassing L’s. At least you have a nice field next to that dump of a school. That’s what’s important though. Make sure the kids have somewhere nice to get used to losing before they get unleashed on the streets of Quincy.

It’s gonna be hard enjoying all those embarrassing L’s. At least you have a nice field next to that dump of a school. That’s what’s important though. Make sure the kids have somewhere nice to get used to losing before they get unleashed on the streets of Quincy.
You used to be better at this. I'm starting to think this isn't the original DS (Simmons). Rochester sits next to Springfield, an even larger dump than Quincy. :rolleyes:

Scurry along, back to your RKK weekly meeting agenda planning. This clearly isn't somewhere you need to be anymore.

All.... Titans pick up a transfer from Springfield High. H. Walker (First name Herschel no less.... ☺️) Played a bit last year in a supporting role. Position MLB and RB. Ratsy

All.... Titans pick up a transfer from Springfield High. H. Walker (First name Herschel no less.... ☺️) Played a bit last year in a supporting role. Position MLB and RB. Ratsy
If he was a factor he would have went to SHG. Plantation Ken would have been pouting all over 1450 if that would have happened a few years ago.

Since I’m new to this website I wasn’t present for the weekly analysis of all the games last season, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me or describe to me the reaction and reception to U-High’s upsets in 2023 in the Springfield area? I’m thinking of games like Springfield and MacArthur specifically.

Reactions: cigaros
Since I’m new to this website I wasn’t present for the weekly analysis of all the games last season, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me or describe to me the reaction and reception to U-High’s upsets in 2023 in the Springfield area? I’m thinking of games like Springfield and MacArthur specifically.
I make predictions each week and was wrong on both games you mentioned. I thought U High was going to struggle, particularly early in the season, to replace their QB Cunningham. I also didn't think they could stop MacArthur's running game.

Here's my U High/Springfield analysis from '23:

The second game to be played at the renovated Memorial Stadium. Last year, Springfield got a nice road win by beating U High 32-13 in Week 4. U High has improved their program numbers and played a lot of Sophomores last season. They took their lumps at times but gained valuable experience. Unfortunately for U High, they have to replace a 2-year starting QB who was the focal point of their offense while facing Springfield and SHG on the road Weeks 1 and 2. Springfield went 4-5 last year but should make the playoffs. The big question is how many regular season wins are realistic, 5, 6, or possibly 7? The Senators will be starting a Sophomore at QB apparently, having moved last year's QB, Paul Hartman, to WR/TE. Hartman will be very difficult to cover. Springfield should win fairly comfortably. Springfield 38 U High 15

And for the U High/MacArthur '23 contest:

MacArthur (1-2) at U High (2-1)
Last year, MacArthur won in Week 7 14-9 by stopping U High at the goal line late in the game. Mac has big play capability, with their QB, special teams, and particularly the Freshman RB Johnson-Cook. Rochester bottled up Johnson-Cook most of last week. The one time he got loose, Johnson-Cook turned on the speed and scored from over 60 yards out. U High has shown improvement from last season and played well over the first three games. They don't have the weapons on offense that Mac does but are still scoring about 30 points a game. This outcome should be decided by the defenses. U High has been better than last year so far. They gave up 35 points in a Week 2 loss to SHG but were not blown out. Southeast scored 26 last week, but all but one TD was in the 4th Quarter after U High had built a 4-score lead. Mac has surrendered 35 and 49 points the last two weeks. Their defense is not at the level as some of the better recent General teams. In the search for 5 wins, Mac needs this game more than U High. Johnson-Cook is a difference maker. The Generals should win a close one. Mac 34 U High 26

Reactions: net-se
All.... Have always enjoyed the short road trip to Normal since NU entered the CS8 in 2017. The required stop before the game for pitchers of "soda pop" and of course cheese balls at the Pub II and then it's off to ISU for the Pioneers/Cyclone game. Ratsy ☺️

Reactions: rocketnation
Thank you, those are very good insights backed by reason and logic, I guess the pioneers had other plans last year 😂

U High had a tough squad last year. Was very surprised when they got absolutely pounded by Coal City. A very embarrassing way to end a solid season.

All.... This is a bit odd. Just saw Soldan is playing varsity football other then week one. Ratsy
I can't remember, was Soldan on the road at Jax or were the Crimsons traveling to STL? Maybe they just didn't want to make the trip? Maybe the corn fields scared 'em?

Thank you, those are very good insights backed by reason and logic, I guess the pioneers had other plans last year 😂
An annual average program. Sustain it, then we'll be impressed. At a school like U-high in the city it resides, no excuses not to be better most years honestly. Same can be said for our program... Oh well. Too bad QND won't get a shot at U-high this year. Was always a fun basketball game each year in the early 00s.

An annual average program. Sustain it, then we'll be impressed. At a school like U-high in the city it resides, no excuses not to be better most years honestly. Same can be said for our program... Oh well. Too bad QND won't get a shot at U-high this year. Was always a fun basketball game each year in the early 00s.
Agreed. This chump crawled out of the woods to relive the glory of beating Springfield and MacArthur? Tell me your program is worthless without telling me it’s worthless.

That’s like beating your chest over barely beating whoever Arthur is in the playoffs.

One of the reasons it’s been hard to sustain a good team at Uhigh for years due to the fact that only 40 of the 150 kids per class are guaranteed to get into Uhigh since it’s a laboratory school. For instance, usually Uhigh can expect about 5-8 freshmen football players from their feeder school, and has to hope football players from other schools and districts will get in, and still want to play. A great example of this diversity was in the class of ‘24, there were seniors from the Heyworth, Clinton, Tri-Valley, and BloNo districts. Now in the freshmen and sophomore classes the majority of the football players are from the Bloomington school district and would’ve attended Bloomington. This should also make the week 2 matchup very entertaining, on top of it being U-High’s first intercity football game in almost a decade.

One of the reasons it’s been hard to sustain a good team at Uhigh for years due to the fact that only 40 of the 150 kids per class are guaranteed to get into Uhigh since it’s a laboratory school. For instance, usually Uhigh can expect about 5-8 freshmen football players from their feeder school, and has to hope football players from other schools and districts will get in, and still want to play. A great example of this diversity was in the class of ‘24, there were seniors from the Heyworth, Clinton, Tri-Valley, and BloNo districts. Now in the freshmen and sophomore classes the majority of the football players are from the Bloomington school district and would’ve attended Bloomington. This should also make the week 2 matchup very entertaining, on top of it being U-High’s first intercity football game in almost a decade.
Their enrollment sits around 600, correct? How is it only 40 get in per year? I'm just confused on the numbers you presented. They're pulling from a decent population over there. Are you saying they're limiting class sizes? I figured it was just like most non-boundaried schools and they tested to place kids in the appropriate curriculum off the jump.

Their enrollment sits around 600, correct? How is it only 40 get in per year? I'm just confused on the numbers you presented. They're pulling from a decent population over there. Are you saying they're limiting class sizes? I figured it was just like most non-boundaried schools and they tested to place kids in the appropriate curriculum off the jump.

Unlike QND their standards for acceptance go beyond “can you open the front door?”

Each class size is 150 each, U-High has one feeder school with 40 kids per grade, and all 40 of them are all but guaranteed to get in to U-High if they were to apply. What I meant is they only know 40/150 freshmen every year, the rest are from many different districts and backgrounds. They’re limited by the state to about 600 kids in the entire school, so they accept about 150 every year to maintain an even 600.

Each class size is 150 each, U-High has one feeder school with 40 kids per grade, and all 40 of them are all but guaranteed to get in to U-High if they were to apply. What I meant is they only know 40/150 freshmen every year, the rest are from many different districts and backgrounds. They’re limited by the state to about 600 kids in the entire school, so they accept about 150 every year to maintain an even 600.
Why does the state limit their enrollment?

Why does the state limit their enrollment?

Why do you have an admissions process?

The lab schools have a limited capacity, which normally translates into around 625 spaces at U-High. Thus, as much as we would like to, we cannot accept every student who wants to attend.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
The real question is will Rochester be the only premiere program in the conference moving forward? The addition of QND hurts the conference prestige worse than the mess that is Eisenhower, Chatham is always severely overrated, SHG is the new dying dog of the area now that Plantation Ken has taken his show to a beach somewhere. 186 is always a mess.

Will it only be Rochester representing? I think yes, expect a lot from this young team as they set the tone for the next few years of dominance as new faces with old names make it clear we will earn another easy 4A title. Do the other CS8 schools even practice?
Chatham will be fine. 6A is tough so "overrated" really doesn't apply. Chatham takes has trouble with Rochester and SHG but they don't usually lose to teams that should be. I guess Penn St is overrated since they don't beat Ohio St or Michigan often? Rochester is a machine. SHG well they are a private with benefits. The CS8 is a good conference. And if 3 teams do well in the playoffs its a feather in the CS8 cap!

Chatham will be fine. 6A is tough so "overrated" really doesn't apply. Chatham takes has trouble with Rochester and SHG but they don't usually lose to teams that should be. I guess Penn St is overrated since they don't beat Ohio St or Michigan often? Rochester is a machine. SHG well they are a private with benefits. The CS8 is a good conference. And if 3 teams do well in the playoffs its a feather in the CS8 cap!

Yeah the loss to MacArthur last year was super impressive with an anemic 12 points and barely squeaking by the dumpster fire that is Danville.

Chatham hasn’t been legitimately good since they recruited all them kids in 2019 and it was a joy to watch an East St. Louis team with even more recruits run them off the field.

Every year we hear about how they are going to be good and every year we get to see snaps over the punters head and muffed punts leading to them just giving up.

Yeah the loss to MacArthur last year was super impressive with an anemic 12 points and barely squeaking by the dumpster fire that is Danville.

Chatham hasn’t been legitimately good since they recruited all them kids in 2019 and it was a joy to watch an East St. Louis team with even more recruits run them off the field.

Every year we hear about how they are going to be good and every year we get to see snaps over the punters head and muffed punts leading to them just giving up.

LOL ya better research "those" 2 recruits. I guess that MAC team were pushovers like Ike. What you hear about Glenwood isnt coming from Glenwood but from peeps like EdgyTim and others. Dave Hay doesn't allow self praising. The Titans have One Way of doing things. I guess since you were "Joyed" with EStL "run" them off the field. Maybe you personally have an issue with the Titans. Something deep within you that has gone unresolved that needs to be met before you can move forward. There is no shame losing a football game. SHG was a good program with some very talented teams through the years and will continue to be very good. Rochester is the best program below 5A. We all know turnovers will kill a team. They had too many against the Generals but I give the Generals credit for winning the game. Glenwood had the chance to win and didn't get it done. A few years ago Glenwood lost to Springfield by 3 who beat SHG that season. They had a nice playoff team so no foul there. Glenwood lost to Jacksonville by 6 a few years before the Springfield loss. Finishing 3rd in the CS8 is not shameful and never will be.

Not sure, I just know that between U-High (9th-12th) and Metcalf (Pre-K-8) the cap is 1,000 kids combined.
That's interesting. Never knew that about U-High. Clearly it's a financial thing right? To limit class sizes. They're obviously maintaining that number consistently. I wonder how many they turn away each year then. And do those that are rejected head straight for BCC, or elsewhere? What's the tuition fees like at U-High? Is it comparable to religious private schools or is it super low like the public schools?

I’m not sure the reasons beyond the state Congress limiting it. Applications usually range from 450-500, a decent amount of those rejected will head to BCC if they were already in private junior high schools (Catholic and Lutheran) and got denied, some enter the waiting list to receive entry if someone else declines their invitation, and the rest will just head to their public school. Academically it’s one of the strongest in the state, and has a very prestigious reputation, but on the inside it has the simple feel of a generic public high school.

Alright, that’s enough U High talk for one lifetime.

My question is how much did SHG have to pay to get put in what appears to be the weakest conference in the state? The CS8 West is just abysmal. The addition of QND is absolutely laughable as this is a program that performs at a level below Athens, Maroa, Williamsville and on par with Auburn.

What is the CS8 thinking? Southeast and Lanphier are looking rough, but improvements to facilities is promising. Springfield always has the bodies but it seems they are struggling to gain footing under a new coaching regime.

The top 3 schools in the CS8 East would have a legitimate shot to running clock their way through the West. What a poor design. Who is the “commissioner” of the CS8? Certainly they are not a serious person.

I’m not sure the reasons beyond the state Congress limiting it. Applications usually range from 450-500, a decent amount of those rejected will head to BCC if they were already in private junior high schools (Catholic and Lutheran) and got denied, some enter the waiting list to receive entry if someone else declines their invitation, and the rest will just head to their public school. Academically it’s one of the strongest in the state, and has a very prestigious reputation, but on the inside it has the simple feel of a generic public high school.
I'm not sure I believe it, but I'll take you at your word that U-High is essentially denying 350+ applicants a year. That's seems like an outrageously high number to be turning away annually. Then again, with no real tuition, just fees like their public counterparts, that high number seems more likely considering the academic benefits of enrollment. It just seems if academics were the issue, or simply removing your child from the "basic public" options in town, BCC would be seeing higher numbers if 350ish a year were getting denied by U-High.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT