ADVERTISEMENT

The Illini

This made me laugh...you mean to tell me, they went all the way down to IMG academy just to come back to Champaign, Illinois?

As a preface I don't know if Verdis Brown is or is not considering the Illini. Unlike 98% of incoming recruits he has been attending school far away from home. Possibly he is considering the Illini to be closer to home and the fact that he might see early playing time is attractive to him. (Nick Allegretti is the current center and in 2018 will be playing his last season) Brown redshirts his first year and could possibly start 4 years at center. Couple that with the fact that time is now short and most D1 programs don't have many, if any slots left.
I could be completely off but the Illini could be attractive for a few reasons.

This made me laugh...you mean to tell me, they went all the way down to IMG academy just to come back to Champaign, Illinois?

I would imagine Jimbo has both of them on the horn at A&M, right? Two more home grown kids (3/4 years) leaving the state for college.
Griffith is looking like Notre Dame

He went to all that trouble just to go to a third rate program like Illinois? We lost him for that????? Couldn't he at least go to a real program?
Lol! My reaction when I was told as well! The only plus side is that they both completed their class load and can enroll in January and be there for spring workouts

Last edited:

Unrated prospects, grad transfers from FCS schools, competing with Mercer and a directional Illinois school? I meannnnn....

Troy Fumagalli (Waubonsie), TJ Edwards (Lakes), & David Edwards (DGN)

All Americans @ Wisconsin .... shocking.

This year's recruiting class had to be small due to the large class that was brought in last year. They have a top 200 recruit for the first time in ages. Team recruiting rankings do not mean everything.

How can you say Lovie is not the man for the job after only 2 years and having only nine seniors on this year's team... NINE.

That's like saying Theo wasn't the man for the job after the cubs regressed from 71-91 to 61-101 from 2011-2012. You have to trust the process.

And who else would Illinois hire?? No one even close to Lovie Smith's credentials.
Ill89,

They seem to be a bit clueless on recruiting. They say one thing then do another. Said they were going to put a fence around Illinois...hell they haven't even offerred some of Illinois best while chasing players from Florida and Texas that in most cases will simply laugh at them, and others give them a polite no because that's the way they were brought up.

Lovie is a nice, charismatic, & likable guy, but this year is a perfect example of indecision with players. Week in and week out they decided to change the line up at QB to see what will stick to the wall. There is no incoming stud, so pick a guy and get him prepped for the next few years rather than a senseless rotation showing desperation for success.

They look young but that will not improve anytime soon with instability in the program for everyone guessing who's playing next week. Good luck with your investment in the program, I'm feeling very lucky my son dodged that bullet and ended up elsewhere, but feel for many of the boys we know well that landed there because they bought into this rebuild. Lets hope they pick a firm path and stick with that architect in the coming week and into next season so that there's a chance to return to respectability.

Lovie may be a great guy but its hard to recruit Illinois when you don't go the best conferences. I know for a fact that ILLINOIS has not visited the DVC at all! I can't speak on the ESCC or the CCL, but he isn't even getting good recruits in Florida and Texas. He is getting the leftovers. NIU is killing the state with getting the top Illinois kids. I find it hard to believe that there are only 3 in state kids that can play at Illinois. Lovie and his staff can't evaluate talent and can't recruit.

Lovie may be a great guy but its hard to recruit Illinois when you don't go the best conferences. I know for a fact that ILLINOIS has not visited the DVC at all! I can't speak on the ESCC or the CCL, but he isn't even getting good recruits in Florida and Texas. He is getting the leftovers. NIU is killing the state with getting the top Illinois kids. I find it hard to believe that there are only 3 in state kids that can play at Illinois. Lovie and his staff can't evaluate talent and can't recruit.

In this class, geographically, Peoria is the furthest North for a committed Illinois recruit.

Looks like Lovie did land some decent players out of Florida and Texas the last few days. Could be more to come as well.

The problem is this... if you recruit a kid from TX or FL and you don't get him, you more than likely won't have to play against him. If you aren't getting the kids from IL, guess who is? All the teams you play!

Bryce Effner, Metea Valley OL - Penn State. He gone!
Adam Krause, Montini K/P - Western Kentucky. He gone!

Fotis Kokosioulis, Maine South RB - NIU. He gone!
Matt Bjorson, Hinsdale Central TE - Indiana. He gone!
Mike O'Laughlin, Fenwick WR - West Virginia. He gone!
Gavin McCabe, Marist DE - Indiana. He gone!
Tj Ivy, Marist TE - Indiana. He gone!

Sorry, this is getting redundant. The prosecution rests.... for now.

According to Illini Football twitter, they went heavy skill from Cali and Florida even Texas. Maybe they know something we don't?

FYI Illini offered a 2018 dual threat QB out of Georgia today sure sounding more and more like Peoria QB Coran Taylor is most likely out?

FYI Illini offered a 2018 dual threat QB out of Georgia today sure sounding more and more like Peoria QB Coran Taylor is most likely out?

Is this grades based or IL thinking they can get someone better?

Think about this. If NIU is "killing it" as you say and getting the top Illinois kids, what does this say? Does it say the top Illinois kids don't have the talent to play in the B1G?

If NIU was actually getting the "top" kids you would think they would have a better record. They didn't even win their division in the MAC.

So, either there isn't much talent in Illinois ( which I don't really believe) or the "top" talent is leaving the state and going to other big schools.

U of I and NIU play against two very different levels.

Think about this. If NIU is "killing it" as you say and getting the top Illinois kids, what does this say? Does it say the top Illinois kids don't have the talent to play in the B1G?

If NIU was actually getting the "top" kids you would think they would have a better record. They didn't even win their division in the MAC.

So, either there isn't much talent in Illinois ( which I don't really believe) or the "top" talent is leaving the state and going to other big schools.

Football results are not tied to specific recruiting classes. If so, Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, etc would never lose. They typically have the top recruiting classes every year.

Are you saying that you believe the Illni to be a better talent ie the better football team?

Aside from the obivious NIU 8-4 record vs Illini 2-10 record. A fair way of measuring who is better is to look at comment opponents...

NIU beats Nebraska at Nebraska 21-17; Ilini lose at home 6-28.
NIU blows out Ball St 63-17 ; Illini needs hail marry to win 24-21.

No question who is better.

As far as this years recruiting class: I will take the top players of Illinois over the scraps nobody wanted from Florida/Texas any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

A lot of the top top talent in Illinois leave for out of state every year.

Michigan State over the past few years has poached 3-4 guys each year.

Iowa has recently been picking up some top kids from Illinois.

Indiana In this year’s has done very nicely

In state Northwestern gets the super high academic kids over Illinois

In state NIU has killed it this year in getting a handful of top kids. I’m wondering if grades has something to do with it. Illinois has rebuffed several kids that qualify but are not academically where Illinois wants them. Not surprisingly - that pisses off those kids/recruits and NIU is a good school and very good football program and they understandably skiddadle over there! Great for NIU! Dumb for Illinois.

Is Lovie trying to prove a point to those he may see as "meatheads" who ran him out of town in 2012?

A lot of the top top talent in Illinois leave for out of state every year.

Michigan State over the past few years has poached 3-4 guys each year.

Iowa has recently been picking up some top kids from Illinois.

Indiana In this year’s has done very nicely

In state Northwestern gets the super high academic kids over Illinois

In state NIU has killed it this year in getting a handful of top kids. I’m wondering if grades has something to do with it. Illinois has rebuffed several kids that qualify but are not academically where Illinois wants them. Not surprisingly - that pisses off those kids/recruits and NIU is a good school and very good football program and they understandably skiddadle over there! Great for NIU! Dumb for Illinois.
Vodoo you are hitting the nail on the head with your 7th sentence. That, in general, is it in a nutshell.

But I am sorry. Your line about the academic standards at Illinois doesn't hold water. If that was true, teams Like Notre Dame and Stanford would be just as bad.

But to the others. Look at the statement. It said NIU is getting the top talent in Illinois and I am saying they are not. The only exception is grades. The top talent is leaving this state to play at another big school.

NIU may be a bigger fish, but they are in a much smaller pond. Illinois has far more competition when it comes to recruiting than NIU does and it isn't even close. If a kid has the academic ability to go to Illinois and they feel he can play B1G football that may open doors to other B1G programs or SEC programs, etc. But, it certainly opens all doors in the MAC.

Turn that around. If a kid can get in at NIU and play MAC football, it doesn't necessarily mean he can play B1G football or anywhere else that is big time. If my son is being recruited by Illinois and has B1G talent and is academically gifted do you honestly think I would try and sell him on the idea of going to NIU, or anywhere else in the MAC? Hell no and neither would any of you. Playing B1G football and that education trumps anything NIU can offer.

I am not trying to show disrespect to NIU. But come on guys. Put it in perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
The reality is if you have BIG10 talent. you are NOT going to Illinois. I do not see Illinois taking talent away form MSU, Iowa, NU, Wisconsin etc (not even going to mention OHIO St). Which means Illini is not getting true Big 10 talent. From a prospects point of few (if you are not a clear Big 10 talent) , do you want to go to a team that is losing and may never even get to mediocrity. Or do you want to go to a team that will WIN, play on ESPN and got to a bowl game? The only thing that Illinois has over NIU is education (which is not valued by all). Lets face it, most these kids or not focused on that as much as they are as to playing on Sundays.

The reality is if you have BIG10 talent. you are NOT going to Illinois. I do not see Illinois taking talent away form MSU, Iowa, NU, Wisconsin etc (not even going to mention OHIO St). Which means Illini is not getting true Big 10 talent. From a prospects point of few (if you are not a clear Big 10 talent) , do you want to go to a team that is losing and may never even get to mediocrity. Or do you want to go to a team that will WIN, play on ESPN and got to a bowl game? The only thing that Illinois has over NIU is education (which is not valued by all). Lets face it, most these kids or not focused on that as much as they are as to playing on Sundays.
No, Illinois is not taking talent away from the schools you mention. That is the problem...not losing any talent to NIU. But NIU isn't taking any talent from Illinois either...unless the kid can't cut it in the classroom and that is my argument. As far as kids going on to play on Sunday I'd say you probably have more dreamers at NIU than Illinois. The average kid at Illinois is most likely more focused on his studies and grades than the average kid ad NIU. I don't doubt the graduation rate at Illinois is better.

The main point is still the same. This isn't a true comparison. If you are a clear B1G talent NIU has no chance of getting you and you are making my point there. So, NIU is NOT getting the top talent in Illinois. So the statement saying they were is not true. Again, NIU is in a smaller pond. Keep things in perspective.

No, Illinois is not taking talent away from the schools you mention. That is the problem...not losing any talent to NIU. But NIU isn't taking any talent from Illinois either...unless the kid can't cut it in the classroom and that is my argument. As far as kids going on to play on Sunday I'd say you probably have more dreamers at NIU than Illinois. The average kid at Illinois is most likely more focused on his studies and grades than the average kid ad NIU. I don't doubt the graduation rate at Illinois is better.

The main point is still the same. This isn't a true comparison. If you are a clear B1G talent NIU has no chance of getting you and you are making my point there. So, NIU is NOT getting the top talent in Illinois. So the statement saying they were is not true. Again, NIU is in a smaller pond. Keep things in perspective.

NIU graduation rate 87%

IL graduation rate 77% good enough for 10th place in the Big 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT