ADVERTISEMENT

The Illini

Fun to watch the throw back film. It's also fun to see him on the line and with his hand in the turf. Thanks for the video evidence that he was a DE even though the Big10 wants to call him LB. Your welcome for the new moniker use it in good health, but WWS is still in a tailspin.

I wasn't going to bother responding but here one more thing for you to chew on, by the way I like the DuKane Clown moniker and may use it so thanks.

http://video.btn.com/simeon-rice-1990s-best-linebackers

It is unfair to judge the Illini based on this season. The Illini have played more freshman (21) and started more freshman than any school in the country, much less the Big Ten.

They are starting 4 freshman on the offensive line. These kids are going to be good, but it is a bit much to expect true freshman, in any conference, to go up against experienced Jr. and Sr. defensive lineman.

That said Illinois has to improve it facilities if it is going to compete for recruits. It offers recruits a world class education, but many of these kids have stars in their eyes and reality doesn't set in for a few years when they come to the realization that many are called but few are chosen and they are not "going to the league".

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/illinois/90705

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
It is unfair to judge the Illini based on this season. The Illini have played more freshman (21) and started more freshman than any school in the country, much less the Big Ten.

They are starting 4 freshman on the offensive line. These kids are going to be good, but it is a bit much to expect true freshman, in any conference, to go up against experienced Jr. and Sr. defensive lineman.

That said Illinois has to improve it facilities if it is going to compete for recruits. It offers recruits a world class education, but many of these kids have stars in their eyes and reality doesn't set in for a few years when they come to the realization that many are called but few are chosen and they are not "going to the league".

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/illinois/90705

4 true freshman starting on the offensive line? That is insane. If there is one position that should redshirt if possible (unless they a phenom) is Oline. One year in the weight room and nutrition program can do wonders

4 true freshman starting on the offensive line? That is insane. If there is one position that should redshirt if possible (unless they a phenom) is Oline. One year in the weight room and nutrition program can do wonders
Give Lovie 3 years and this will be the most experienced teams in the country. The key is to get a stud qb and rb and the Illini will be off to the races. Easier said than done but maybe Lovie finds a few diamonds in the rough. After all Mike Dudek was not heavily recruited and he is a stud wr for the Illini and likely has two more years with the Illini.

Give Lovie 3 years and this will be the most experienced teams in the country. The key is to get a stud qb and rb and the Illini will be off to the races. Easier said than done but maybe Lovie finds a few diamonds in the rough. After all Mike Dudek was not heavily recruited and he is a stud wr for the Illini and likely has two more years with the Illini.

Yes very very good player. What a tough kid - two knee rehabs- I can’t even imagine the despair that could set in during the dark days of rehab #2. What mental toughness. That’s a guy every company should want to snap up and hire after graduation (if he doesn’t go to the show)

Yep, what Lovie had done this year is absolutely unprecedented. The youth is just crazy and asking 4 18 year olds to man an o line against 22 and 23 year old men from big ten programs is a guaranteed outcladding in conference games. That said, anyone knocking the results this year clearly doesn't understand the process. Not saying it' going to work, but this has been the plan all along. And this is not really the second year for Lovie. He was hired in March so he didn' get a recruiting class year one. The true frosh playing now are his first recruiting class. So really this is year one by any measure. And it's a year one with 8 seniors in the entire program. 2-10 was expected. A few more wins next year would be nice. But really it's about looking to 2019 and especially 2020 for substantial results.

Yes, bronco. Well put. All they need to do is get great players, and score more points than the other team, and they will be good.

Illinois needs to do three things to greatly Improve:

1. Settle on an offensive system & QB. Jeff George Jr. & Cam Thomas are not interchangeable...you either go with the dropback for Jr.'s arm or read option spread for Thomas's feet...The young offensive line will not improve if they can't settle on a system...And then recruit QB's for the system...and send the other QB packing to ISU, or SIU, or EIU...

2. Undertake and complete the performance center improvements ASAP...And to think the program for the Louisville opener in 1986 thought the football locker room/weight room/administrative staff addition to the stadium would be good for "Another 60 years"...lol as they are on what, the third addition....

3. Student involvement. Somehow Whitman has to get the students back to the Stadium. Moving them to the new endzone seats clearly has been a failure. I'd tarp over the north endzone seats until they were needed, put the students back where they were in the east side. The secondary market for bad nonconference games starts at $3; $6 for the Rutgers/Purdue type games. Maybe they need to look at the Big Ten Office and tell them they need more Michigan & OSU games in Champaign (I've been to plenty of 70,000+ attended games against good teams). Reality is that if Notre Dame, whose season ticket wait list is enormous, is advertising for single game ticket sales that the Illini are in trouble...with students & the general public...

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
This school is in the toilet in recruiting. I actually made a list of every big ten team and all have at least 1 (most have multiple) Chicagoland kids on their team. And that didn't include the directional Illinois schools or even the Indiana States and the Western Michigan's of the world that are stealing kids.

Watching the state title games, was ONE top player going to U of I? Answer, no. Jenkins & Evans ---> Iowa, Sanborn ---> Wisconsin.

I lived and coached in Wisconsin for a while and every kid in that state dreams of playing for Madison. Melvin Gordon was committed to Tennessee I believe and when Big Brett came down and offered him he immediately flipped to Bucky.

No kid in Chicago or otherwise goes "man I just can't wait till the Illini offer me!" Lovie not getting the job done.

Anyone ever seen the U "30 for 30" (you probably should have by now)....remember how Howard Schnellenberger and his staff said they roped off the "State of Miami"... U of I needs to rope off the "State of Chicago" and attack I-80 to Kenosha!!

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
This school is in the toilet in recruiting. I actually made a list of every big ten team and all have at least 1 (most have multiple) Chicagoland kids on their team. And that didn't include the directional Illinois schools or even the Indiana States and the Western Michigan's of the world that are stealing kids.

Watching the state title games, was ONE top player going to U of I? Answer, no. Jenkins & Evans ---> Iowa, Sanborn ---> Wisconsin.

I lived and coached in Wisconsin for a while and every kid in that state dreams of playing for Madison. Melvin Gordon was committed to Tennessee I believe and when Big Brett came down and offered him he immediately flipped to Bucky.

No kid in Chicago or otherwise goes "man I just can't wait till the Illini offer me!" Lovie not getting the job done.

Anyone ever seen the U "30 for 30" (you probably should have by now)....remember how Howard Schnellenberger and his staff said they roped off the "State of Miami"... U of I needs to rope off the "State of Chicago" and attack I-80 to Kenosha!!
I know Micah Dew-Treadway was on record basically begging the clowns Beckman and Cubit for an offer. Never got it and went to ND.

Don't know how it can happen, but it has to happen, they have to have a serious presence in the state because they will only get 4th and 5th tier offers from other states and thats not going to do it.

I know Micah Dew-Treadway was on record basically begging the clowns Beckman and Cubit for an offer. Never got it and went to ND.

Don't know how it can happen, but it has to happen, they have to have a serious presence in the state because they will only get 4th and 5th tier offers from other states and thats not going to do it.
No doubt they need to do better in the state overall. However I really think that is low hanging fruit to complain about. I really see Lovies staff focusing hard on player evaluation and looking for the overlooked kids, particularly in the big time prep football states. Can't say I have a problem with that strategy at all. Nor do I have a problem. With going all in on the 18 year olds in the program and doing the slow build, but it will clearly alienate Beckman and cubits recruits and make for a painful few years. Now some of the on field decisions this year were head scratching but that's another story.

No doubt they need to do better in the state overall. However I really think that is low hanging fruit to complain about. I really see Lovies staff focusing hard on player evaluation and looking for the overlooked kids, particularly in the big time prep football states. Can't say I have a problem with that strategy at all. Nor do I have a problem. With going all in on the 18 year olds in the program and doing the slow build, but it will clearly alienate Beckman and cubits recruits and make for a painful few years. Now some of the on field decisions this year were head scratching but that's another story.

I don't think any of the fruit is low for UofI. I like to look at Wisconsin and Iowa for inspiration. When you look at Iowa's roster the OL/DL is made up of mainly kids from Iowa. These are not all 5* and 4* players, probably hardly any of them, but they're still effective. You can't tell me they have a better talent pool in state than we do. Same deal with Wisconsin. And with both most of the non-instate players are from the midwest. We don't need Florida and Texas recruits and they aren't going to help either. Florida kids are pilfered by FSU, UF, Miami, Central Florida, South Florida, not to mention the other top National programs. By the time you get to what Illinois is looking at from FL I may have been extremely generous by saying 5th tier, it may be 15th tier. We'd be better off evaluating overlooked kids in IL and the midwest.

I argued it with Beckman and now Lovie, it's going to take time no matter who is at the helm, and unless you're bringing in Nick Saban recruiting isn't going to change over night. So UofI has to give time, five years at a minimum. I was mad as everyone else with the Rex Grossman stuff, but Lovie gets an unnecessary amount of hate. I mean he was fired after a 10-6 season. Look at the Bears now. I wasn't opposed to firing him if we were getting a better proven coach, but that's not what happened, we got garbage 2x. I think UofI looked more athletic than they have in years, and I think in two they'll be vastly improved.

The approach of going after kids from FL and TX is stupid they should follow what Northwestern did concentrate on the Chicago area. NWU spent a lot of effort and after about 3-4 years of a lot of misses they have made the enough progress that they have made themselves a realistic option for local kids. IL not even putting in the effort is dumb.

I don't think any of the fruit is low for UofI. I like to look at Wisconsin and Iowa for inspiration. When you look at Iowa's roster the OL/DL is made up of mainly kids from Iowa. These are not all 5* and 4* players, probably hardly any of them, but they're still effective. You can't tell me they have a better talent pool in state than we do. Same deal with Wisconsin. And with both most of the non-instate players are from the midwest. We don't need Florida and Texas recruits and they aren't going to help either. Florida kids are pilfered by FSU, UF, Miami, Central Florida, South Florida, not to mention the other top National programs. By the time you get to what Illinois is looking at from FL I may have been extremely generous by saying 5th tier, it may be 15th tier. We'd be better off evaluating overlooked kids in IL and the midwest.

I argued it with Beckman and now Lovie, it's going to take time no matter who is at the helm, and unless you're bringing in Nick Saban recruiting isn't going to change over night. So UofI has to give time, five years at a minimum. I was mad as everyone else with the Rex Grossman stuff, but Lovie gets an unnecessary amount of hate. I mean he was fired after a 10-6 season. Look at the Bears now. I wasn't opposed to firing him if we were getting a better proven coach, but that's not what happened, we got garbage 2x. I think UofI looked more athletic than they have in years, and I think in two they'll be vastly improved.
Generally agree bones. I just put very little stock into the idea of locking up the state as one of the major things illinois is missing. Look st the 2018 rankings. There are five kids in the whole state rated 4 stars. The rest are all 3 stars. Yes, it would be great to get a handful of those four stars every year. No doubt that would help. But assuming you won' get over half of them, and we won't, that alone is nowhere near enough. 3 stars is 3 stars regardless of where it's from. You have to recruit the nation and find the kids who fit your system best. No need to take a lesser fit solely because of geography. Unless of course its to establish a relationship or get a future player on the radar. And also find kids who want to go there. That's the piece most people forget about. Wisky kids want to go to wisky. Illinois has to win some more to get to that point in getting in on top in state kids vs the blue bloods.

Generally agree bones. I just put very little stock into the idea of locking up the state as one of the major things illinois is missing. Look st the 2018 rankings. There are five kids in the whole state rated 4 stars. The rest are all 3 stars. Yes, it would be great to get a handful of those four stars every year. No doubt that would help. But assuming you won' get over half of them, and we won't, that alone is nowhere near enough. 3 stars is 3 stars regardless of where it's from. You have to recruit the nation and find the kids who fit your system best. No need to take a lesser fit solely because of geography. Unless of course its to establish a relationship or get a future player on the radar. And also find kids who want to go there. That's the piece most people forget about. Wisky kids want to go to wisky. Illinois has to win some more to get to that point in getting in on top in state kids vs the blue bloods.

But I'm not talking about stars. That is the problem. How many of those Iowa and Wiscy kids are 4 or 5*? Less than IL that's for sure. Iowa and Wiscy have realized that and used to to be relevant. I bet we could get 80-90% of our lines from IL and be competitive with getting a handful of the skills from IL (still better than Iowa and Wiscy) and the remaining ones being tier 15 players from FL and TX.

Reactions: RockSoup
But I'm not talking about stars. That is the problem. How many of those Iowa and Wiscy kids are 4 or 5*? Less than IL that's for sure. Iowa and Wiscy have realized that and used to to be relevant. I bet we could get 80-90% of our lines from IL and be competitive with getting a handful of the skills from IL (still better than Iowa and Wiscy) and the remaining ones being tier 15 players from FL and TX.
Get the players you want, whether it's Pensacola or Tuscola. It' about finding the right guys. Don't care where they'e from. Obviously targeting a 300 mile radius around your campus is important and they must improve there. But win with who you have first and make kids want to come to the flagship university. Be competitive recruiting illinois kids. But you still need a lot of help outside the border. Best kids who you can get first. And if a staff doesn't like a certain 3 star from the suburbs, you don't offer him.

Get the players you want, whether it's Pensacola or Tuscola. It' about finding the right guys. Don't care where they'e from. Obviously targeting a 300 mile radius around your campus is important and they must improve there. But win with who you have first and make kids want to come to the flagship university. Be competitive recruiting illinois kids. But you still need a lot of help outside the border. Best kids who you can get first. And if a staff doesn't like a certain 3 star from the suburbs, you don't offer him.
those 80-90% of lines are likely kids that would go to Illinois but arent being recruited. We have a better chance at getting quality out of those kids than the scraps of what remains from FL or TX.

those 80-90% of lines are likely kids that would go to Illinois but arent being recruited. We have a better chance at getting quality out of those kids than the scraps of what remains from FL or TX.

In my opinion you look out of state for the type of kids you can't find within the state. I have yet to see Illinois land that type of kid.

Reactions: Cross Bones
In my opinion you look out of state for the type of kids you can't find within the state. I have yet to see Illinois land that type of kid.

Granted the top skills guys are generally going elsewhere. They did get Coran Taylor which is good. And I generally like the receivers ie Turner, Dudek, Smalling, Smith, etc. So they get some of them. Beckman/Cubit really missed out on Simmie Cobbs who was clearly looking to play football anywhere as opposed to hoops. Those are the players you can't let get away without a fight. The guys with minimal offers that end up being stars, gotta get them.

I'm hearing it's a very good possibility Verdis Brown lands with the Illini....

The Illini remind me of the Bears. They will always find a way to lose even after they bring in the talent.

Alec Pierce from Glenbard West, joining Ben Bryant at Cincinnati... would've been two great Illini targets.

Verdis Brown and Houston Griffith would be great for the Illini. Maybe getting one leads to getting the other? I'll believe it when I see it though..

He went to all that trouble just to go to a third rate program like Illinois? We lost him for that????? Couldn't he at least go to a real program?

This made me laugh...you mean to tell me, they went all the way down to IMG academy just to come back to Champaign, Illinois?

I would imagine Jimbo has both of them on the horn at A&M, right? Two more home grown kids (3/4 years) leaving the state for college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT