ADVERTISEMENT

The CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week XIV

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
featured-turkey-adobo-with-mojo-de-ajo-01.jpg

While it's the final weekend of prep football for most of us, it's also Thanksgiving for many of us. And while it's a time for friends and family to get together to give thanks, we must remember a few tips to keep from stabbing eachother:
  • Don't bring up Districts
  • No discussion of who's taking the Fenwick job
  • No discussion of suspicious transfers
  • And, please, keep your privates vs publics chatter to the back porch.

The 90th Edition of the Prep Bowl Championship:

Simeon (7-4) vs. St. Laurence (7-5) Friday, Nov. 29, 1PM Kavanaugh Stadium
neutral field
[2019] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 24, [2019] Simeon (Chicago, IL) 21

5A:
Rochester (12-1) vs St. Rita (10-3) Saturday, Nov. 30, 10AM Huskie Stadium
neutral field
[2019] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 35, [2019] Rochester (IL) 31

7A:
Mt. Carmel (13-0) vs Nazareth (13-0*) Saturday, Nov. 30, 4PM Huskie Stadium
neutral field
[2019] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 26, [2019] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 21

I'm still finalizing my week 1 picks, but I'll take a shot.

Simeon +3
SR -4
Naz -5

Like all the favorites:

StL -3
SR -4
Naz -5

What's a more impressive win?

St. Laurence over Simeon
or
St.Rita over Rochester.

Part of me wishes Irving never played against Stl.

St. Laurence would of given St. Rita its toughest match of 5a.

I'll take
Stl-3
Rita by 21+ (The most dominate 5a team ever? lol.)
Naz -5

MC Naz will come down to MC ability to pressure Naz's Oline.

I'm sure MC staff has worn out the Marist-Naz film from years past.
Can't wait to watch.

What's a more impressive win?

St. Laurence over Simeon
or
St.Rita over Rochester.

Part of me wishes Irving never played against Stl.

St. Laurence would of given St. Rita its toughest match of 5a.

I'll take
Stl-3
Rita by 21+ (The most dominate 5a team ever? lol.)
Naz -5

MC Naz will come down to MC ability to pressure Naz's Oline.

I'm sure MC staff has worn out the Marist-Naz film from years past.
Can't wait to watch.
Um no. not even close. There's been some dominant SHG Montini JCA and Naz 5a teams.

Reactions: Gene K.
featured-turkey-adobo-with-mojo-de-ajo-01.jpg

While it's the final weekend of prep football for most of us, it's also Thanksgiving for many of us. And while it's a time for friends and family to get together to give thanks, we must remember a few tips to keep from stabbing eachother:
  • Don't bring up Districts
  • No discussion of who's taking the Fenwick job
  • No discussion of suspicious transfers
  • And, please, keep your privates vs publics chatter to the back porch.

The 90th Edition of the Prep Bowl Championship:

Simeon (7-4) vs. St. Laurence (7-5) Friday, Nov. 29, 1PM Kavanaugh Stadium
neutral field
[2019] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 24, [2019] Simeon (Chicago, IL) 21

5A:
Rochester (12-1) vs St. Rita (10-3) Saturday, Nov. 30, 10AM Huskie Stadium
neutral field
[2019] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 35, [2019] Rochester (IL) 31

7A:
Mt. Carmel (13-0) vs Nazareth (13-0*) Saturday, Nov. 30, 4PM Huskie Stadium
neutral field
[2019] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 26, [2019] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 21
Job well done again @ignazio

As a neutral observer and with our kids having played both teams this season, I'm eager to watch the MC-Nazareth game.

Just as someone who really enjoys high school football, I think this is going be a hell of a good game. Should be fun.

McCarthy and Nazareth's offense can put up points and Mount Carmel's defense is typically one of its primary strengths.

I'll have the nachos and ice-cold Coca-Cola ready for watching this game :)

I have spent the entire week looking at the one factor that will tilt this game in the deciding direction. I knew it was there all along but needed to get closer to game time to make sure it remained. The rain and wind will help doom the Nazareth attack as Mount Carmel prevails!

Mount Carmel 28 Nazareth 21

Mount Carmel 2019 State Champions 14-0

Reactions: sivada2001
So the mighty Mt Carmel needs Mother Nature to win...is that what you’re sayin?

I have spent the entire week looking at the one factor that will tilt this game in the deciding direction. I knew it was there all along but needed to get closer to game time to make sure it remained. The rain and wind will help doom the Nazareth attack as Mount Carmel prevails!

Mount Carmel 28 Nazareth 21

Mount Carmel 2019 State Champions 14-0

Things are so bad in Chicago, even the Prep Bowl has moved out of the city. They should just go to Orlando and give everyone an excuse to have fun.
Vikes will win by 10.
Surprising to see Gambltron with more faith in the Stangs than me. Is weather in the algorithm?
Rochester will cover.
For Carmel to stand a chance, it’ll rest on the defense, alas, relying on a Lenti. I’m sure the Roadrunners would like to hoist a trophy, er, plaque, even if it is the worst award in sport.
Caravan, freezing rain, by a FG.

St. Laurence -3 Good football game between 2 solid programs. Both kids win, getting 5 weeks of extra football

St. Rita -4 Super pumped to be back at state, with this site declaring the end of St. Rita 4 years ago. St. Rita is back and better than ever. Let’s put an exclamation point on this season. See you CCL brothers in the upper classes soon enough. Let’s get some nice 25 mph winds!

MC+5 You know the way I played MC all year. This week it’s the same deal. What a great 7A championship. The best private program for the last 30 years vs the best private program in the last decade. Enjoy this

St. Laurence -3 Good football game between 2 solid programs. Both kids win, getting 5 weeks of extra football

St. Rita -4 Super pumped to be back at state, with this site declaring the end of St. Rita 4 years ago. St. Rita is back and better than ever. Let’s put an exclamation point on this season. See you CCL brothers in the upper classes soon enough. Let’s get some nice 25 mph winds!

MC+5 You know the way I played MC all year. This week it’s the same deal. What a great 7A championship. The best private program for the last 30 years vs the best private program in the last decade. Enjoy this
While I have a lot of respect for what naz has done the last 6 years, I don’t think they have any claim to best private program of last decade. Montini and Loyola have a clear claim to that. best private program of the last 6 to 7 years? Then I think they definitely surpass Montini but Loyola’s accomplishments are still every bit as impressive and probably more so.

that said, that’s all semantics and I agree with you. This will be a top notch game.

While I have a lot of respect for what naz has done the last 6 years, I don’t think they have any claim to best private program of last decade. Montini and Loyola have a clear claim to that. best private program of the last 6 to 7 years? Then I think they definitely surpass Montini but Loyola’s accomplishments are still every bit as impressive and probably more so.

that said, that’s all semantics and I agree with you. This will be a top notch game.
Yes. Great obversations. I didn’t pick LA for team of the decade because @ignazio doesn’t believe in my Mustangs yet!

I have to say jca and mount Carmel have the best accomplishments as a private school. Nothing against naz montini or Loyola. All three schools are dominate programs and I have much respect but jca and MC have the most state championships most private schools have along way away before topping them

I have to say jca and mount Carmel have the best accomplishments as a private school. Nothing against naz montini or Loyola. All three schools are dominate programs and I have much respect but jca and MC have the most state championships most private schools have along way away before topping them

Over 20, 30, or 40 years there is no doubt JC is the gold standard. But over the last 10 years, naz, montini, and Loyola are only the top of the iceberg of teams that have overshadowed JCs success in the 2010s.

good news is I see Jc returning to its days where schools won’t want to play them. But it hasn’t been that way for awhile. Looking forward to 2020 and beyond.

On a related note, looking at PC’s success trend is really shocking . And I don’t think I see a return to prominence like I do for JC possibly happening.

Past decade

Over 20, 30, or 40 years there is no doubt JC is the gold standard. But over the last 10 years, naz, montini, and Loyola are only the top of the iceberg of teams that have overshadowed JCs success in the 2010s.

good news is I see Jc returning to its days where schools won’t want to play them. But it hasn’t been that way for awhile. Looking forward to 2020 and beyond.

On a related note, looking at PC’s success trend is really shocking . And I don’t think I see a return to prominence like I do for JC possibly happening.
I agree that the last 10 yrs hasn’t been

I agree there are new ballers out there and I have all the respect for them but all I’m saying is let’s not take a away from the two private schools who have the most championships in the area. Jca being number 1 with the most state championship. Jca might not be what they where but they still Are a threat to who ever they play

Regarding this gold standard business, JCA traditionally plays a 7A level schedule during the season, but five of its last six state championships were in 5A. You guys play a tough regular season and then play post season games against teams not in your league. Yoour level of competition should be the same from September to November. Saturday morning trophies don't stand up to what Mt Carmel has achieved.

It's interesting that posters proclaiming their school's greatness only count back to a convenient point for them. How 'bout going back a century -- not 30 or 40 years.

Of Mt Carmel's 12 state championships, two were at today's 8A level, nine at the 7A level and one at what is now 6A. We've lost five state championship games: two at the 8A level and three at 7A. We lost in the semis in 1987 to East St Louis in the 8A level.

In the seven years from 2006 to 2012, we competed in 8A playoffs -winning it in 2012..

Prior to the IHSA accepting private schools, Mt Carmel won an inordinate amount of Chicago City Championships (not to be confused with the current Prep Bowl.) Far more than any other school

I have great respect for Joliet Catholic Academy, but this "most state championships" business has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I know that this will drive MCHS crazy, but, at least he gets to sleep late this Saturday.

Last edited:

That forfeit last year might have caused more problems than their administration ever imagined. Who wants to play for a program like that.

Regarding this gold standard business, JCA traditionally plays a 7A level schedule during the season, but five of its last six state championships were in 5A. You guys play a tough regular season and then play post season games against teams not in your league. Yoour level of competition should be the same from September to November. Saturday morning trophies don't stand up to what Mt Carmel has achieved.

It's interesting that posters proclaiming their school's greatness only count back to a convenient point for them. How 'bout going back a century -- not 30 or 40 years.

Of Mt Carmel's 12 state championships, two were at today's 8A level, nine at the 7A level and one at what is now 6A. We've lost five state championship games: two at the 8A level and three at 7A. We lost in the semis in 1987 to East St Louis in the 8A level.

In the seven years from 2006 to 2012, we competed in 8A playoffs -winning it in 2012..

Prior to the IHSA accepting private schools, Mt Carmel won an inordinate amount of Chicago City Championships (not to be confused with the current Prep Bowl.) Far more than any other school

I have great respect for Joliet Catholic Academy, but this "most state championships" business has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I know that this will drive MCHS crazy, but, at least he gets to sleep late this Saturday.
Oh my goodness MC. That was not your bat signal. Everyone is aware of your thoughts and I thought we had let it go a few weeks back. It is really unbecoming of followers of a top flight program to knee jerk asterisk anyone who might put themselves in the same sentence as their own alma mater. Or worse yet, voluntarily interjecting their Alma mater into a discussion for comparison when nobody else had done so.

And once again, all but one of those 5A titles in an 8 class system was played under the FB enrollment rule where they played in the playoff level where the average of their regular season opponents fell,thus eradicating the argument that they played a regular season schedule that much stiffer than their postseason schedule.

lighten up a bit. Enjoy the possibility of getting your schools 13th state football championship tomorrow. Nothing more, nothing less. Another school having more overall titles than yours neither adds to nor detracts from yours.

Oh my goodness MC. That was not your bat signal. Everyone is aware of your thoughts and I thought we had let it go a few weeks back. It is really unbecoming of followers of a top flight program to knee jerk asterisk anyone who might put themselves in the same sentence as their own alma mater. Or worse yet, voluntarily interjecting their Alma mater into a discussion for comparison when nobody else had done so.

And once again, all but one of those 5A titles in an 8 class system was played under the FB enrollment rule where they played in the playoff level where the average of their regular season opponents fell,thus eradicating the argument that they played a regular season schedule that much stiffer than their postseason schedule.

lighten up a bit. Enjoy the possibility of getting your schools 13th state football championship tomorrow. Nothing more, nothing less. Another school having more overall titles than yours neither adds to nor detracts from yours.

Please don't be so smug. You're the one who came up with this gold standard nonsense. The ESCC is not, in reality, a 5A level conference. Perhaps in enrollment, but not in your level of competition.

This all begs the question - why don't schools like yours, Montini, Providence and perhaps a few others petition to raise up your playoff competition? Make it meaningful?

We have an actual enrollment of 600 boys. I'm not sure where we'd be if the same rules applied to all schools. But, if we were in 5A every year, we'd have 20 championships.

Reactions: Blue Ruin

It really doesn't bother me at all because of two salient points:
  1. The argument about the 7A schedule is factually incorrect
  2. Your little post about small schools and the scheduling outed you for who you really are and most on the board recognize you for these reasons
Enjoy the L later today from the 5A school you are playing in "Not So Important 7A". It is cool that MC gets to be the opening act for the real football which will be played at 7 p.m. though.

Reactions: IgorStL and USD24
Or worse yet, voluntarily interjecting their Alma mater into a discussion for comparison when nobody else had done so.

I bet he still wears his class ring. Some of the MC posters are becoming as vomitous as Notre Dame fans (not Niles, South Bend).

Please don't be so smug. You're the one who came up with this gold standard nonsense. The ESCC is not, in reality, a 5A level conference. Perhaps in enrollment, but not in your level of competition.

This all begs the question - why don't schools like yours, Montini, Providence and perhaps a few others petition to raise up your playoff competition? Make it meaningful?

We have an actual enrollment of 600 boys. I'm not sure where we'd be if the same rules applied to all schools. But, if we were in 5A every year, we'd have 20 championships.

you are the one who saw the term gold standard and took it as an immediate affront to your school, when I never mentioned or denigrated it with my use of the gold standard. That is smugness right there.

you are the one who saw the term gold standard and took it as an immediate affront to your school, when I never mentioned or denigrated it with my use of the gold standard. That is smugness right there.

He'll never address the fact that MC has more than twice as many boys as MCHS or JCA.

If you look up "OK Boomer" @MC63 is pictured.

Why doesn't MC petition up to 8A? Seems reasonable considering you want schools with half the number of male students to petition up 2 classes to 7A. Let's see some pretzel logic out of the old timer now...

He'll never address the fact that MC has more than twice as many boys as MCHS or JCA.

If you look up "OK Boomer" @MC63 is pictured.
I thought that was a weird argument. If MC was 5A they would have 20 titles. Ok, well they have twice the number of boys that JC and all the 5A schools have. What’s the point of that argument?

I thought that was a weird argument. If MC was 5A they would have 20 titles. Ok, well they have twice the number of boys that JC and all the 5A schools have. What’s the point of that argument?

The only point in the argument is the one at the top of his head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT